2017 in Review--Discord: Congratulations RECK!

PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

2017 in Review--Discord: Congratulations RECK!

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Five hundred miles west of the coast of Samoa sits an island untouched by civilization. For millennia, this mystical place has sat undisturbed--until now. As our group of castaways venture into the jungle, hacking away at vines and creating a trail for people to follow in their wake, they quickly tire in the stifling heat. After an hour-long trek, they stumble upon a cave. The opening is only wide enough for one person to squeeze through, so the group quickly elects a representative. That person squirms through the gap, then opens their mouth to scream but there is only silence.

In the cave sits a stone obelisk, smooth to the touch, and glistening as though it was freshly polished. Mists swirl through the cave and a bright light shines from just beyond the obelisk. A calm voice speaks, seemingly from everywhere and simultaneously nowhere: "Welcome to Ghost Island. Recorded here are millions of years of records. And which year is it for you now?"

Julie Chen looks up at the obelisk. "What is this? Who are you?"

"Which year is it for you now?" The voice is more insistent this time.

"It's...it's 2017." Julie's face falls as she remembers the past year. The high hopes for the BB19 cast, and then the crushing disappointment that many of them turned out to be. The antics of Raven Walton, a southern hypochondriac, and the pot-banging shenanigans of Josh Martinez, the eventual winner. But everything in that year seemed overshadowed by the "veteran" who returned to the game, Paul Abrahamian, a former fan favorite player. Julie shuddered as she remembered his downfall at the very end.

"2017? Fascinating. What a very...intriguing year in your human history. The beginning of the end, some would say." The voice softly chuckled. "You're in luck. We've planned something quite exciting for you. Go out and rejoin your group now. And enjoy your time on Ghost Island!"

"Wait, what is this place? What do you mean, 'beginning of the end'? How will I--"

The voice interrupted: "Julie, enough. Leave this place. And remember...expect the unexpected..."

Friends, it is my pleasure to invite you to an adventure like no other--The 2017 Year in Review Discord Extravaganza! This game will feature elements from Survivor: Game Changers, Survivor: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers, Big Brother Season 19, Big Brother Canada Season 5, and The Amazing Race Season 29. Additionally, it has the potential to feature game mechanics, twists, or other design elements from every single Large Social Game run on Mafiascum this year, including the following: Survivor: Nexus, Big Brother: Summer of Spookz, School Survivor, Survivor: MLS, Skype-vivor: Names Are Memes, Survivor: One World, Anonymous Survivor Survivor, The Challenge: Cutthroat, Survivor: Civilization, Tontine, Allocate/Execute II, and The Genius.

This Year in Review Game is open to anyone with Internet, and with Discord. While you CAN play exclusively on your phone, I would strongly encourage having a desktop connection of some sort if you wish to play.

Please feel free to sign up below, and do so quickly! I'm going to have to put a hard cap at 24 players to allow me to plan a little better, and I'd like to have at least 16 play in order to fit as much fun and joy and excitement in as possible. Additionally, once you sign up, please message me on Discord (my Discord handle is MontyWhittaker#6697) to "lock in" your spot, so I don't have to worry about finding everyone last minute.

As always, feel free to direct any questions or concerns my way. And if you have any particular twists or mechanics from 2017 that you want to be remembered in this Year in Review game, send those suggestions my way, either via pm here, or by messaging me on Discord!

Sign-Up List

May 25-26
1. Hiplop
2. Xalxe
3. Racefan
4. Green_Liquid
5. Skelda
6. McMenno
7. Cheery Dog?
8. LLD
9. D3f?
10. Pickemgenius
11. Vash
12. Reck
13. Xofelf
14. Randomidget
15. Iprobablysuck
16. OhGodMyLife
17. Flameaxe
18. Shrek
19. Drench
Last edited by PrivateI on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:44 am, edited 38 times in total.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Post by PrivateI »

PLEASE FILL OUT THIS DOODLE TOO!!

DOODLE DOODLE DOODLE
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Post by PrivateI »

IMPORTANT GAME NOTE:

The eligible games for this year are as follows:

Survivor: Nexus, Big Brother: Summer of Spookz, School Survivor, Survivor: MLS, Skype-vivor: Names Are Memes, Survivor: One World, Anonymous Survivor Survivor, The Challenge: Cutthroat, Survivor: Civilization, Tontine, Allocate/Execute II, The Genius

Twists and mechanics will draw largely from these games, as well as all televised CBS competitive reality TV series in 2017 with the exception of Hunted.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #9 (isolation #3) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Oh yeah and as always feel free to hydra and stuff. This is a v flexible game.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #14 (isolation #4) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am

Post by PrivateI »

WOW can you believe that this game is starting tomorrow hopefully?! Neither can I! Sign up now and avoid the New Year rush!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #16 (isolation #5) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 15, Aurathebirb wrote:/maybe?

Is a mic needed?
Not at all! Everything will take place via text. Great question!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #18 (isolation #6) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:07 am

Post by PrivateI »

Unless like a lot of people get free schedules in the next few hours, we're probably going to reschedule this for a different time.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #19 (isolation #7) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Post by PrivateI »

This game is officially postponed, but we WILL play it on a future weekend!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #22 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by PrivateI »

All right. Let's bring this back.

A 2017 Discord Extravaganza is coming your way soon, and YOU get a say in when it is! I am wiping the sign-up list and we are starting over.

This game WILL be played entirely on Discord, which I am STOKED for. Get excited, sign up, and vote in the poll that will hopefully be at the top of this page soon!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #30 (isolation #9) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Hey, maybe you're seeing this thread, and you're all like, "Goshdangit, I love MS. And I also love Discord." If you also think "Fudge-o-rama, I love Mish-Mash!", I have a server just for you!

Follow this link to be welcomed into a portal you never dreamed existed.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #34 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Post by PrivateI »

No more than 5 hours.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #43 (isolation #11) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:49 am

Post by PrivateI »

With that, there are enough /ins and /maybes to keep us stocked with a full game! However, there is still PLENTY of time to sign up. The exact date is still TBD, but based on preliminary polling, will either be in April or May!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #48 (isolation #12) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 am

Post by PrivateI »

As far as I know, no dates will conflict with that date. For now, I'll tentatively plan to run TWO games, one on April 13-14, and one on May 25-26, each with the same "theme" of 2017, and people can feel free to play in both!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #53 (isolation #13) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:03 am

Post by PrivateI »

In post 50, McMenno wrote:but then people would know all the wacky twists
Do not worry! These games will be very distinct experiences, and if you want to experience ALL of 2017, you'll need to participate in both!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #55 (isolation #14) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 54, GreenLiquid wrote:Do I need to have been alive for all of 2017 to participate?
Age discrimination is illegal in America.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #56 (isolation #15) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Post by PrivateI »

I just planned out one of the twisty rounds, and my GOODNESS I am psyched for this game. Still not too late for you to sign up!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #57 (isolation #16) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 48, PrivateI wrote:As far as I know, no dates will conflict with that date. For now, I'll tentatively plan to run TWO games, one on April 13-14, and one on May 25-26, each with the same "theme" of 2017, and people can feel free to play in both!
WOW ten days until game one. Are you ready because I am (almost) ready!!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #59 (isolation #17) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 58, SleepyKrew wrote:when do you need the maybes to become definite answers?
I'm ok if it's a little vague, as long as we can get roughly 16 people there each game. We'll start at 8 PM EDT each night, per the poll, and go for several hours, but no more than five, each night.

If you can confirm to me, either privately or in this thread, whether you'll be available for one or both games, I'd REALLY appreciate it! It'll help in planning challenges and such.
Last edited by PrivateI on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #64 (isolation #18) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 62, Cheery Dog wrote:What time is it starting?
We'll start at 8 pm EDT each night.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #69 (isolation #19) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Post by PrivateI »

2017 Year in Review--A Discord Extravaganza is changing dates.

Because Rick and Morty Big Brother will be starting on April 13, it will be imprudent to hold a live game that night, because so many of the potential players/spectators of that game are the target demographic of this game. After conferring with one of the moderators of that game, and trying to work things out with my own schedule, I've decided to cancel the first game.

No game will take place on April 13-14, however, a consolidated game will happen May 25-26 on Discord! I encourage you to sign up, and to have a blast with us on that Memorial Day weekend!!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #72 (isolation #20) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 70, GreenLiquid wrote:Aww :(

Still /in if I can avoid being on call.
I'm pretty sure there will be no elements which require a call, though as always with these live games, fast Internet can sometimes be an advantage! But only in challenges and stuff, basically.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #86 (isolation #21) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 85, wgeurts wrote:I may join this depending on my schedule
Sounds great!

Just as a sidenote, if you're not sure if I would know who you are on Discord, be sure to hit me up so I don't miss you on game day! It's clunky, but my handle is MontyWhittaker#6697. I'll try to find a link for it eventually.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #88 (isolation #22) » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Post by PrivateI »

I'll be setting up spec access, yes. One of the many advantages of doing this on Discord rather than Skype.

Also, we are less than a month out! 30 days from now, roughly half the game will have played out, and part two will be about to commence. If you want to be in for this, there's still time to join!!
Last edited by PrivateI on Fri May 04, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #94 (isolation #23) » Fri May 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Post by PrivateI »

With just two weeks to go, I'm very excited to tell you that my planning document outlining both challenges and twists for up to 24 people is finally completed. You missed out on a chance to see a sneak peek! Check back in next time!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #95 (isolation #24) » Sat May 12, 2018 4:36 am

Post by PrivateI »

I forgot to emphasize this earlier, but if you can only be available for one of the two nights, just let me know, because it's likely that someone will be in a mirrored situation, and can replace you/you can replace them.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #96 (isolation #25) » Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 am

Post by PrivateI »

It's time for another LIMITED TIME sneak peek! Unfortunately, this promo has expired. Check in next time to GET the GOODS!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #97 (isolation #26) » Tue May 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Post by PrivateI »

To celebrate the fact that this thread has more views than any other thread in this forum which has received a post in the last two months, I'm giving away ANOTHER sneak peek!!

WOW less than two hours in and all the promos are gone. See you next time!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #98 (isolation #27) » Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Post by PrivateI »

It's the most words in a sneak peek in Year In Review history, and for a limited time, YOU can get it!

Hopefully you got it in the last few hours, because it's gone now!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #99 (isolation #28) » Fri May 18, 2018 11:01 am

Post by PrivateI »

Today is FRIDAY and one week from today, you will start the adventure of a lifetime!

I'd like to invite you to check out the sign-up list in the first post. If you don't see your name there and it should be there, please let me know! I lost some people when we did the conversion of the dates several weeks ago.

NOW here's some BIG NEWS! Since it's Friday, and it's double the excitement of most days, I'm going to DOUBLE the GIVEAWAYS! I have two pictures of the planning document ready to give out to you, I can still only give away one per person! These offers, however, have expired.

In addition, I have EVEN BIGGER news! At some point this weekend, I will be hosting a small-scale practice game on the unofficial Mish-Mash Discord, located here. This game will feature some ACTUAL challenges from the Year In Review game next week! This surprise game could happen at any time, so join the server now!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #100 (isolation #29) » Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 am

Post by PrivateI »

The surprise game is over, and we have a winner. The game was full of excitement, with Redemption Island coming into play 2.5 times, and rocks being drawn each of the last three rounds, at the Final Four, the Final Four, and the Final Three. But ultimately, by a vote of 4-3, McMenno became the pop-up game winner! McMenno's record includes being voted out second and coming back into the game at Final Three, I guess.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #106 (isolation #30) » Sun May 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 104, Cheery Dog wrote:
In post 102, Cheery Dog wrote:I think I may actually be free to join this afterall.
But then there's that other thing I'm going to probably be asked to help with. And people I can actually see in person would be very disappointed if I said no to it.
I'll just leave you with a question mark next to your name. :P
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #109 (isolation #31) » Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 am

Post by PrivateI »

Sounds good. Be on the lookout tonight for a sneak peek so groundbreaking, my lawyers have advised me not to share it!!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #111 (isolation #32) » Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 am

Post by PrivateI »

Indeed. They strongly recommended I not share it, since it's such a Game Changer (TM). Here's what I'll do, as a compromise. I'll set a firm time limit on this--ten hours. If I get ten messages from at least ten different people with the message "ShowMeThe$", I'll share this superb sneak peek, otherwise, I'll follow my lawyers' advice. Good luck!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #115 (isolation #33) » Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 112, zoraster wrote:what are the times i need to be online for this if i play?
Like 8 EDT-1 EDT at the latest.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #116 (isolation #34) » Thu May 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Post by PrivateI »

:( I just checked my inboxes and you were SO CLOSE to unlocking a sneak peek. Sorry, y'all. Fortunately, you'll get to play the game live in less than 24 hours!!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #119 (isolation #35) » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 am

Post by PrivateI »

In post 118, GreenLiquid wrote:Based on the time I'd have to replace in on Saturday, as I'll be busy Friday. If that's a possibility, let me know.
That's perfect, actually, I just had someone need the reverse thing.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #120 (isolation #36) » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 am

Post by PrivateI »

Also, if you're ready to come into the Discord server, click this link!

See you soon!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #125 (isolation #37) » Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 am

Post by PrivateI »

Congratulations to Reck for winning 2017 Year in Review after some hard-fought battles!

Return to “Social Game Archive”