Open 705: Polygamist - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Open 705: Polygamist

Day One

Rules

[01] VOTING METHOD: Votes must be in bold or use vote tags. example:
Vote: Player
VOTE: Player If you do not bold your vote or use tags, it will not be counted. You do not have to
unvote
before casting another vote, but it would be appreciated.

[02] LYNCH: Lynching will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, any attempts to unvote will be unheeded.

[03] NO LYNCH: You may
vote: no lynch
– unless it is deadline, majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.

[04] DEADLINE: This game will have mandatory deadlines of 2n+1 where "n" is the number of living players. If I deem it necessary a player being replaced may extend the deadline.

[05] DEADLINE LYNCH RULES: At deadline, a person will be lynched if they have a majority of voters voting for them. That means you can be lynched with just one vote if only one person is voting. If no one has a majority of the votes cast, it is a no-lynch.

[06] NIGHT CHOICES: There are no night choices in this setup.

[07] LURKING AND NOT POSTING: Lurking is not an acceptable strategy in this game. Anyone who goes more than 72 hours without posting, without advance warning, will be prodded. Failure to post in the 48 hours following a prod or excessive prods will result in a player being replaced. Mafia is a social contract. Everyone is expected to give information and comment to be analyzed. If this is uncomfortable for you, consider taking up solitaire instead.

[08] OUT OF THREAD COMMUNICATION: The game is not to be discussed outside the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so – and then only in the manner stated in your role PM. Don’t quote any out-of-thread communications regarding this game in the thread, this includes role PMs.

[09] BAH POSTS ARE ALLOWED: Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. You may absolutely make one "Bah" post. It should be short and should contain absolutely no game related opinion or information.

[10] TOO CLEVER BY HALF RULE: No small or hidden text or obscure codes. Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts either.

[11] VACATION? LIMITED ACCESS? If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in this game thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

[12] FALLIBILITY CLAUSE: Unlike other mods I am fallible. Please point out any mistakes I make gently. In particular, if I post a vote count that does not accurately reflect your vote, it is your responsibility to correct me -- otherwise your vote may be treated as it appears in the vote count.

[13] QUESTIONS: If you have any questions at all, please PM me or post the question in the thread.

[14] HUSH NOW, QUIET NOW: Excessive use of CAPS POSTING or spamming posts will not be allowed and may result in replacement without warning.

[15] GAMBLERS ANON: No bets, deals, promises, etc are allowed. Depending on the severity of one you may be modkilled or forceably replaced.

[16] IF IT QUACKS LIKE A DUCK: If you fake breaking a rule, it will result in the same punishment as actually breaking the rule.

[17] FUN: Remember, it’s a game and it’s supposed to be fun. Be nice to your fellow players and your mod. I have very low tolerance for abusive posts.

[18]
I've reserved this color for any purposes I might choose. Don't use it or anything similar to it.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Living Players (12)

01. cytheflyguy
02. Kop
03. Mathdino
pisskop

04. sheepsaysmeep
jzhenson93

05. Sky_Paladin
06. RedFlavor
07. momo
BigFinn

08. DiamonSentinel
09. hyung
manrock

10. Mathblade
MisaTange
Amrochora

11. Toranaga
12. Lalendra

Dead Players (0)

All players will be giving one of the following roles:

Mafia Polygamist:
You are a member of the mafia, and a lover with XXX, YYY, and ZZZ. If one of you is lynched, all of you will die. The four of you may talk prior to the beginning of Day 1 at <link>.

You win if two townspeople are lynched before any of you are.

Please confirm your role via PM
Town Lover:
You are a member of the town, and a lover with XXX, whom you also know to be a member of the town. If they die, you will as well. The two of you may talk prior to the beginning of Day 1 at <link>.

You win if a mafia member is lynched

Please confirm your role via PM
Co-host of The USL Show
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Roles are being distributed. Pre-Game phase will last for 72 hours after all roles are distributed.

All roles have been distributed. Please confirm by PM.

Day one will begin on December 31st, 7PM PST
Co-host of The USL Show
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Day one has started

With 12 alive it takes 7 votes to lynch.

Deadline is 2n+1=(25) days aka in (expired on 2018-01-25 19:00:00)

pisskop and jzhenson93 has not picked up their roles and will be replaced.
Co-host of The USL Show
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

Hello everyone. So, shall we start with claiming lovers?
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Mathdino replaces pisskop
Co-host of The USL Show
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Post by Mathdino »

sup

I don't have access to my PT yet so I hope my lover hasn't planned out some elaborate reaction test without me :(

Hey lover.

I don't know about claiming lovers yet. I'm gonna check game history and see what They Who Came Before Us thought on the matter.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Yeah okay so

NO ONE CLAIM YOUR LOVERS YET

The wiki suggests that claiming early is bad but I'm still working through the literature on the subject

Another interesting thing is that lynching completely randomly actually benefits town. The problem is that random lynches don't happen because scum won't let it. I would actually be done with creating a townbloc that follows a dice tag in the thread. Would give us a 60% chance.

ANOTHER interesting thing is that scum can bus the fuck out of each other without actually lynching to look great in vote analysis. And that's probably something scum have already discussed so I'm comfortable sharing it here. So watch out for shitty VCA.

Not voting because it'll be obvious that whomever I vote isn't my lover.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:37 pm

1. Let's not play to win, so to speak. Let's just play to play a battle of wits. So, no random lynching.
2. How could claiming lovers not help? Au contraire, since it's a nigthless setup, I think it's our biggest weapon here. If we claim lovers, we force the scum into pairs to begin with. Furthermore, if we have anyone super strong (I don't necessarily know if we do), if scum pressures their partner, it makes it pretty obvious. So, scum has to be careful about pressuring 2 slots in the case of one player being spot-on or whatever.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Also, by claiming lovers, it lowers the pool for scum to bus from, and lower the amount of chaos we'd have.
“Why was I chosen?'
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:45 pm

Post by Mathdino »

The irreversibility of the massclaim made me want to research it more beforehand.

A really good argument in the last Polygamist game (town win) went along the same lines. Claiming lovers means scum can't suddenly decide later on in the day who their "lovers" will be and also makes their defences public.

That said, it would be foolish at this point for scum to not decide beforehand what their "lover" pairs will be so they can act it out come daystart.

So I'm still working out how it actively helps us.

PS. Ahahahaha I just got access to my lover's PT and it was just them saying "hello". Good shit. Thanks for flaking, pisskop.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 8, DiamondSentinel wrote:1. Let's not play to win, so to speak. Let's just play to play a battle of wits. So, no random lynching.
Counterproposal. Through the day, we'll probably as a town come together on a townread of someone.

That person will then dice roll 2 lynches that don't include themselves or their lover.

In effect, we'll be playing kingmaker.

If we're right about the king we elect being town, we then have an exactly 70% chance of winning by sheeping them.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Post by Mathdino »

And since someone's going to ask, we have a 40% chance of winning if the person we elect is scum.
Sky_Paladin
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Post by Sky_Paladin »

Hello all o/
My quick scan sees dice rolling as a tactic suggested. I appreciate the idea behind it but how to know that mafia aren’t loading the dice?
Also I kind of feel that using dice to decide goes against the spirit of the game.
I discussed claiming with my lover and we didn’t know if that was a good idea or not so I guess we will go with the flow.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

sheepsaysmeep replaces jzhenson93
Co-host of The USL Show
sheepsaysmeep
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Post by sheepsaysmeep »

wassup
sheepsaysmeep
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Post by sheepsaysmeep »

happy new years
bye
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 13, Sky_Paladin wrote:Hello all o/
My quick scan sees dice rolling as a tactic suggested. I appreciate the idea behind it but how to know that mafia aren’t loading the dice?
Also I kind of feel that using dice to decide goes against the spirit of the game.
I discussed claiming with my lover and we didn’t know if that was a good idea or not so I guess we will go with the flow.
Original Roll String: 1d12
1 12-Sided Dice: (1) = 1
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Doesn't matter how many times I preview, I literally can't load the dice. The above would correspond to lynching RedFlavor.

I propose electing someone we think is town to roll the dice and vote for someone other than them and their lover. So yes it would involve them loading the dice but they wouldn't be able to control the dice. No one would.
sheepsaysmeep
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Post by sheepsaysmeep »

i support claiming lovers
tl from diamond
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:05 pm

In post 10, Mathdino wrote:The irreversibility of the massclaim made me want to research it more beforehand.

A really good argument in the last Polygamist game (town win) went along the same lines. Claiming lovers means scum can't suddenly decide later on in the day who their "lovers" will be and also makes their defences public.

That said, it would be foolish at this point for scum to not decide beforehand what their "lover" pairs will be so they can act it out come daystart.

So I'm still working out how it actively helps us.

PS. Ahahahaha I just got access to my lover's PT and it was just them saying "hello". Good shit. Thanks for flaking, pisskop.
Yes. While I'm sure they haven't already decided, if they have one really really townread person and one scumread person, then the TR person could take charge and say "I'm lovers with [scumread person] so if you think that they're scum, you think I'm scum". It's to our advantage to claim ASAP.
In post 11, Mathdino wrote:
In post 8, DiamondSentinel wrote:1. Let's not play to win, so to speak. Let's just play to play a battle of wits. So, no random lynching.
Counterproposal. Through the day, we'll probably as a town come together on a townread of someone.

That person will then dice roll 2 lynches that don't include themselves or their lover.

In effect, we'll be playing kingmaker.

If we're right about the king we elect being town, we then have an exactly 70% chance of winning by sheeping them.
Let's not dice-lynch.
“Why was I chosen?'
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Yeah that's fair. I guess me claiming doesn't really benefit me or town, but scum claiming does, so it's best to set a precedent.

Yo I'm lovers with Amrororawrachurrochora. Your turn?

Also why not dice lynch?
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Oh... I was planning on waiting on others to give input since we're not even a page in.

I will wait for a little bit, and then I'll claim. I'll claim at the end of tomorrow, provided there isn't a wide outcry that this is a shit idea]. But I promise I will claim my lover (unless they decide to claim first)

Also, fuck dice lynches. This is a game of "skill" and a battle of "wits". Dice have no place in this.
“Why was I chosen?'
RedFlavor
RedFlavor
Mafia Scum
RedFlavor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 pm

Post by RedFlavor »

Hello
Happy new years
Lets random lynch, mathdinos counterproposal seems interesting
Idk if we should claim lovers or not
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:10 pm

Post by Mathdino »

I wonder if we'd have a higher chance of winning this game by playing kingmaker then, where the king we make straight up chooses the lynch straight up.

We model open games by assuming random lynch; the flaw being that lynches aren't random, and in a game with such a high percentage of scum, lynching scum is unlikely.

I wonder if we'd have better odds trying to townhunt and sheep.

Will come up with a model and get back to this.

Return to “Completed Open Games”