Site Meta Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (isolation #0) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 am

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 205, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 203, RadiantCowbells wrote:I don't think there's a single answer. In terms of a single, universally adoptable answer I would say that mafia is two parts understanding other people and eight parts understanding yourself.

There's an extent to which 'I can only follow my own reads!' is a ubiquitous thought process but it's also sort of wrong. If you know that you have inconsistent reads you shouldn't be playing chicken with town to force your hands. After every game people should be going back and looking through what worked and what didn't, both so that they can improve their reads in the future but also so they can understand what sorts of triggers are how consistent. You should know more than just that you're scumreading someone, you should know that you're scumreading someone based on X and this has been Y accurate in the past, and if its something you're consistent at you should double down on it and if not and you don't get support quickly, then you should let it go. You don't get better at mafia without trying to rigorously improve yourself. The most important part of any mafia game is postgame when you go back and analyze the game flow and what impact you had on it.
You should look up how statistics are formed for psychometric psychology traits. For example, if I want to measure what makes a person high or low on the Extrovert scale, I am going to ask them questions like "do you feel happier when you are around people?" or "When you go to a party, do you typically talk with a lot of people or just a few close friends?" You repeat these kinds of questions, and they are all a little different, but they all really are measuring the same thing, because if someone says yes to one of them, then they are likely going to say yes on most of them.

Basically, if you have two things that are very closely correlated, then they both really mean the same thing. So then you have to find out what those things have in common because they are really measuring the same thing. With this, we are looking at what makes a good Town player. Given there are many different playstyles out there, this means that there must be a defining characteristic into what makes a player good at playing Town. And that is what I think I have figured out. It's that they bring content to the game that would otherwise not be there.
Scum can bring content to the game that would otherwise not be there as well. What makes a good town player is bringing content and then explaining that content and having it correlate to town motivations. I don't mean meta town motivations. I mean town motivation particular to that game.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (isolation #1) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 207, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 206, Ectomancer wrote:
In post 205, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 203, RadiantCowbells wrote:I don't think there's a single answer. In terms of a single, universally adoptable answer I would say that mafia is two parts understanding other people and eight parts understanding yourself.

There's an extent to which 'I can only follow my own reads!' is a ubiquitous thought process but it's also sort of wrong. If you know that you have inconsistent reads you shouldn't be playing chicken with town to force your hands. After every game people should be going back and looking through what worked and what didn't, both so that they can improve their reads in the future but also so they can understand what sorts of triggers are how consistent. You should know more than just that you're scumreading someone, you should know that you're scumreading someone based on X and this has been Y accurate in the past, and if its something you're consistent at you should double down on it and if not and you don't get support quickly, then you should let it go. You don't get better at mafia without trying to rigorously improve yourself. The most important part of any mafia game is postgame when you go back and analyze the game flow and what impact you had on it.
You should look up how statistics are formed for psychometric psychology traits. For example, if I want to measure what makes a person high or low on the Extrovert scale, I am going to ask them questions like "do you feel happier when you are around people?" or "When you go to a party, do you typically talk with a lot of people or just a few close friends?" You repeat these kinds of questions, and they are all a little different, but they all really are measuring the same thing, because if someone says yes to one of them, then they are likely going to say yes on most of them.

Basically, if you have two things that are very closely correlated, then they both really mean the same thing. So then you have to find out what those things have in common because they are really measuring the same thing. With this, we are looking at what makes a good Town player. Given there are many different playstyles out there, this means that there must be a defining characteristic into what makes a player good at playing Town. And that is what I think I have figured out. It's that they bring content to the game that would otherwise not be there.
Scum can bring content to the game that would otherwise not be there as well. What makes a good town player is bringing content and then explaining that content and having it correlate to town motivations. I don't mean meta town motivations. I mean town motivation particular to that game.
No offence, but I prolly am not going to take much of what you say seriously because of your sig.
Well if you don't also possess a degree in bullshit in order to determine whether I am serious or not, I completely understand your position. Of course you could be referring to ASSLUST but we all have our unsupported statements don't we? :D
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”