DropMix - Seasons 3 & 4 out now, Country Pack soon!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

DropMix - Seasons 3 & 4 out now, Country Pack soon!

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

(FAQ shamelessly stolen from the DropMix subreddit)

Spoiler: DropMix FAQ
What is Dropmix?

Dropmix is a music-mixing card game played with a specialized board and a phone or tablet with Bluetooth. Each card contains an individual component of a song that, when “dropped” onto the board, mixes seamlessly with the other song components playing at the same time, regardless of the song’s native key or tempo, to build one cohesive mix. There are competitive, party, and free-play modes.

What’s included in the box? What else is required to play?

The game comes with the game board, and 60 cards. The board requires 4 AA batteries, not included. Gameplay requires a phone or tablet running iOS 9 or later, or Android 5 or later and the free downloadable app.

What are the modes/How do you play them?

There are 3 modes: Clash, Party, and Freestyle.
  • Freestyle is the simplest: Drop a card, and it plays. Mix and match your cards in any combination, even disregarding the color of the slot, I.E. you can mix 5 vocals simultaneously if you REALLY want. You can control the tempo and key manually by tapping the arrow toward the bottom of the screen to slide out the menu (this also fixes the current key and tempo if you drop a Wild card, which would otherwise change the mix to match the song's native settings), as well as control the volume of each individual card by sliding the flashing bar up and down on the cart art.

• Clash is the competitive mode. You can play it 1v1, 2v2, or 2v1. Drop instrument cards in available slots to earn points, use FX cards to gain an advantage, or hit the Dropmix button to spin the equalizer to remove some (or all) of your opponent’s cards from the board. First player/team to score 21 points wins. Here's where you can find the comprehensive rules.

• Party is the cooperative mode. The game will request cards from you, either by color, power level, or instrument. Fulfill the request as fast as possible to maximize your score.
How do the cards work?

Cards are color-coded to correspond to the part of the song they’ll play: Yellow will have vocals, red will have the lead/melody, blue will have beat/percussion, green will have bass. Multi-color cards are called wilds, they will play whichever portion of the song the card is dropped into the corresponding slot for. Black-and-white cards are called FX cards, they play simple, HMX-made melodies or rhythms, and have a unique effect on the Clash mode (described below).

No, but like, how do they WORK?

Magic (also, NFC chips embedded in the cards. You can feel the square and see the dot for the antenna. It’s what causes a stack of cards to not lie perfectly flat, that’s completely normal).

Will the cards work through protective sleeves?

Yes, but they may not stack as high before losing readability from the board. The cards are standard size, so mostly any sleeve will work.

How do I get more songs?

There are two types of packs to expand your collection.
  • Playlist packs have a complete genre-focused 15-card deck, viewable through the packaging (plus one hidden bonus card). There are 6 Playlist Packs currently available (4 released at launch, 2 released in December), identified by the icon on the top right corner.
  • Discover packs are 5-card, mixed-genre packs. These packs are 'blind' (the contents are not displayed), but have fixed contents, meaning a given pack will always contain the same cards. You can identify a given pack by the card that is visible through a window on the front of the pack. There are 12 individual Discover packs available, broken into two "series".
There is no overlap between the base set, Playlist, or Discover packs. All cards are only available in one specific pack. If you want all available cards, you do need to purchase all available Playlist packs AND Discover packs. All available and known future cards and the pack they're included in can be found in the spreadsheet pinned at the top of the sub.

How many cards are available for the game?

Currently, in addition to the 60 included in the base set, there are 6 Playlist packs and 24 Discover packs out for purchase, totaling 216 additional cards available. The contents of 2 more Playlist packs are known, to be released sometime in 2018.

What are “decks”?

All cards are sorted by HMX into 15-card prebuilt decks for organization and simplicity in getting started with the game modes. These decks are indicated by the symbol in the lower right corner of the card. The base game includes four decks; Sweets, Blade, Controller, and Highness. Playlist packs each contain one whole prebuilt deck. Discover packs consist of cards from other prebuilt decks that have been split between the 12 packs in that wave.

You do not need to use a prebuilt deck to play the game modes, you can construct your own deck with any combination of cards within the following limits: For players on 2-player teams, decks must be at least 15 cards, with a total power level of no more than 40 (Wilds and FX cards count as 4 to this limit, all other cards refer to their displayed power level), and no duplicate cards. Single-player Clash play requires a deck containing at least 30 cards, with a total power level of 80 or less, and no more than two copies allowed of any given card.

How do all the cards differ from a gameplay perspective? Do I need to collect them all for a fun game?

The regular instrument cards carry only three variables: Their color, their power level, and their instrument. Cards with the same combination of those are functionally identical and only differ in the song they'll play. Wild cards only differ in their instruments as well. Each FX card is different, and will impact the game in a larger way than the regular cards. Some add points for types of cards already on the board, some allow you to make additional moves, etc. The base game and pre-built decks will have FX cards that will synergize with their decks, but having more options and building a deck yourself allows you to better tailor the game to your playstyle and give yourself more chances to score big.

I made a mix I really like. Can I save it? Can I share it with others?

In each mode, there’s a “Save Mix” button in the top right corner. Hit it at any time, and the current layout of cards (in the order they were dropped) along with the current key, tempo and track volumes, will save to the Mixes menu option from the main menu. There you can listen to your saved mixes, even when not connected to the board, as well as share the mixes out in multiple ways. On all devices, you can share a link with other people with the Dropmix app to listen to the full mix. On some more powerful devices, you can also export the mix as a video and share it to Twitter. You cannot export directly to audio.

Quick Links

HasbroToyShop Storefront

Clash Mode Comprehensive Rules
Unofficial Device Compatibility Tracker
DropMix Twitter
Official DropMix Discord
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:01 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Just ordered the Season 3 and 4 Discover packs today, shipping eta of 2/15. Lucky (Country) comes out in about a month as well.

As a heads-up, on the HTS site, promo code
CESDROPMIX
works (at this time) for 20% off, and orders above $49 get free shipping. In the US, at least. As I said in the SurvivorMeet thread, Astro is consistently the hardest pack to obtain, so if you're looking for a complete collection, prioritize that pack. Plus it has the Kids Wild, Dr. Who Theme, and Genghis Khan red keys/vocals, so...

Eventually I'll add Discover pack breakdowns to the OP, and I'm of course willing to change up the featured mixes.

There's also an official SurveyMonkey survey up, feel free to give Harmonix your feedback if you own the game (I recommend suggesting a way to Rewind in Clash mode).

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #3 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 2, xRECKONERx wrote:Q. is there actually a competitive scene for this
Kinda sorta. There's potential at the least; you could easily get a group together to play a competitive tournament. I imagine to get
really
competitive you're gonna need to buy multiple copies of cards, so buying the FX cards from the 4 base set decks requires you spending $50 a pop since they're only available with the base game.

Harmonix ran an in-house tournament around the time of release, which you can find here, as well as deckbuilding tutorials/discussions on their videos page. After this tourney, HMX updated the app to only allow 2 of each card as a legal deck because the Embrace Chaos FX (-2 points from opponent) is kinda broken in multiples, it turns out.

And they just did a showcase for Lucky and the new Discover cards which I should watch.

[edit] holy shit the Lucky FX cards - +1 point for every open spot on the board & play -> free spin. those seem strong. and one of the Discovers has an FX that clears all non-FX cards.

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #5 (isolation #3) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Thanks! That was the very first mix I ever saved, so it's all just with the base set. It's always been my go-to mix to show off when I talk to people about the game.

Link if you wanna save it to your app.

InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #8 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

I have a small white cardboard box that I'm probably gonna need to upgrade soon. Could probably find similar at any LGS for cheap. Lack of dividers is a pain, but it works, and I can figure out a solution for that eventually.

I also need to buy more Ultra Pro Mattes because I bought a 200 pack of regulars by accident (gj me) and the slightly different feel/look is throwing me off.

Spoiler: Alternatively...

^But that's effort, so

Return to “The Arcade”