Help me fix my playstyle!!!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Help me fix my playstyle!!!

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

This thread is for people that feel their play style needs work, but they are not quite sure how to improve it or adjust it so it is more acceptable.

This is an opt in thread. Type "/in" to be included. Additionally, you may want to give a rundown of what you already know isn't working for you so you don't get advice for things that you already know about. You can also ask questions like "how do I do X better?"

/In

I realize I have weaknesses in my game. A lot of the time I post too much. Some of the time this is because I simply am not being understood by my fellow players so I have to go at length to explain myself in hope that if I do this I will be better understood. This goes for both my Town game and my Scum game, but its prolly more a problem for me as Town. This has been an ongoing problem for me ever since I started playing and continues today. So how do I make sure people understand me so I don't have to litter the thread with responses to people instead of being able to push my pov without people asking me every other post I make what I mean? This might require some meta on me so if you do have meta on me and have noticed this, if you have any idea how I can communicate more effectively I would surely love to hear it.

[Edit] I should mention that this doesn't really have anything specifically to do with any particular game(s) I am in currently.

[Edit 2]I think it might be good to introduce a few rules.
  1. There can only be three active "/ins" at a time. Otherwise it gets overloaded with a bunch of "/ins" and few are getting the advice they need.
  2. You should say at least something besides "/in" The more info you give, the better then advice you will get, ideally.
  3. An "/In" remains on the board until they feel satisfied with the advice they have received, within reason.
  4. "/Ins" can be opted for more than once. Ideally, you would want to wait until you have applied the advice given and it has been observed from other players.
Last edited by LicketyQuickety on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

I think it might be good to introduce a few rules.
  1. There can only be three active "/ins" at a time. Otherwise it gets overloaded with a bunch of "/ins" and few are getting the advice they need.
  2. You should say at least something besides "/in" The more info you give, the better then advice you will get, ideally.
  3. An "/In" remains on the board until they feel satisfied with the advice they have received, within reason.
  4. "/Ins" can be opted for more than once. Ideally, you would want to wait until you have applied the advice given and it has been observed from other players.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 am

In post 6, davesaz wrote:Some people need to "misunderstand" you when you're town. Do the people who misunderstand you when you're town end up flipping scum?
Flip side, if you're making a case on X and people don't seem to get it, what does X usually flip? If X is town more often than statistics would suggest then maybe your case is just bad.
If X is scum when people don't seem to get it, then the area of focus is bridging the gap between what you see and what they see. Ask what they see differently instead of trying to argue that you're right?

My issue is a different one, I try to be honest as town when I don't have a clue who the scum are, and that honesty almost always leads to scumreads on me. Join me in always being honest when town so we can change this part of the site meta, because making stuff up as town is one of the reasons scum escape. :cool:
Thanks for the advice. It tends to be hit or miss regarding whether my case is on Scum or not. I've made quite a few tin foil cases in my day and sometimes they are right on the money and sometimes I am dead wrong. What makes you think a Scum hunter needs to be right >50% of the time? A typical game is 10:3. What am I missing?

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:28 am

In post 14, Sunlit Diamond wrote:LQ: I empathize with the frustration of not being understood. Having played a game with you, and reconsidered my own play style in the time I took off site, I wonder if it has something to do with trying to explain something so explicitly that we actually end up confusing the matter with too many words?
I reread that game. I thinks its pretty messed up I was lynched D1 if I am being honest.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (isolation #4) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 am

In post 17, Sunlit Diamond wrote:
In post 15, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 14, Sunlit Diamond wrote:LQ: I empathize with the frustration of not being understood. Having played a game with you, and reconsidered my own play style in the time I took off site, I wonder if it has something to do with trying to explain something so explicitly that we actually end up confusing the matter with too many words?
I reread that game. I thinks its pretty messed up I was lynched D1 if I am being honest.
That entire game was a mess. I think your lynch was inevitable, but not through any fault of yours.
Yeah, Its too bad because I felt my game was on point there.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (isolation #5) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:45 pm

In post 21, AxleGreaser wrote:
In post 11, UC Voyager wrote:they seem to change from game to game. i have fixed and adapted certain play styles i use, but always bump into another flaw in my natural play style....
If game was easy more people would be good at it, then it would be hard again.
LOL, WIFOM train, Chooo choooooooo.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (isolation #6) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:45 pm

In post 22, Nero Cain wrote:LQ, I felt like a lot of your problem was that you got defensive and angry so fast.
Ironically, that is exactly what I am working on.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (isolation #7) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 pm

In post 25, Mathdino wrote:I miss this thread. I'm free to give advice to anyone who wants it (plus points if I've played with you before), and to anyone from this thread who would like more advice (I have thoughts on Grendel's questions but not if he's not gonna come and read it).
Hey, if you are offering...

Look at this game and tell me how I could have played better. I am Lickety in this game.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (isolation #8) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 pm

In post 29, Mathdino wrote:
In post 26, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 25, Mathdino wrote:I miss this thread. I'm free to give advice to anyone who wants it (plus points if I've played with you before), and to anyone from this thread who would like more advice (I have thoughts on Grendel's questions but not if he's not gonna come and read it).
Hey, if you are offering...

Look at this game and tell me how I could have played better. I am Lickety in this game.
Hm. I think you're good actually. Thor and TSQ probably offered better advice than I ever could, since I wasn't in-game trying to read you.

You were lynched due to PoE. wilky was town by easy logic that NSG figured out.

Didn't read the LyLo quote walls because you and wilky were both forced to come up with something to lynch the other, and that kind of thing is NAI.

But yeah, preventing that PoE in some way with better NKs would really have been your main way to win.
Thanks, I'll have to think about kills more. I typically make oddball kills.
In post 28, mhsmith0 wrote:He was Quick.
LOL. sorry for steering you wrong, Mathdino.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (isolation #9) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:52 pm

In post 31, hiplop wrote:More charisma
That is a statistical impossibility :p

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (isolation #10) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 am

In post 33, Mathdino wrote:Oh yeah charisma always helps for sure. TSQ and Thor already talked about that, and working on charisma is a great way to improve both games. People are more often lynched/not lynched based on that, regardless of their alignment.

But more charisma wouldn't have won it I think. NSG nailed wilky as town based on end-of-day factors you couldn't control, which then fucked you.

For charisma, I recommend (as general advice, not actually based on your play):
- emulating players you find to be charismatic
- avoid nervousness or too much public self-awareness and self-consciousness
- when talking TO people, always act like they're town. if you talk to people like they're scum, it looks like tunneling (no one likes that), doesn't help you if the are town, and scum will just act more like town anyway since they know you're scrutinising them.
- when talking ABOUT people, make insightful but not 100%-sure observations. "I" statements are pretty charismatic even in real life. "I believe this is scum chainsaw defending" rather than "This is scum chainsaw defending, guys!" People LOVE it when you make confident but willing-to-be-wrong comments.
- lastly, just do a search on the wiki for articles that mention charisma. Check the Mastin Academy thread, I'm pretty sure she's done a few bits on charisma and how to work with others.
Thanks, charisma is def the weakest part of my game. I appreciate the feedback.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (isolation #11) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 am

In post 35, Ranmaru wrote:LQ we still need to play.
Correct.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”