Movie watching Poll

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

What kind of movie watcher are you?

Escapist
8%
Entertainment Driven
14%
Narrativist
22%
Technical/Craft Focused
2%
Emoter
10%
Cultist
No votes
The Structuralist
No votes
Rythmitist
14%
Formalist
4%
Experimentalist
8%
Analyst
6%
Academic
6%
Contextualist
2%
None of these are close
2%
More than 3 of these apply
4%

Total votes: 51

Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:02 am

Post by Venmar »

I think, by definition, any cinephile or true film buff should be clicking on the last option, more than 3 apply. I watch films for escapism, analysim, academia, for entertainment, for narrative purposes. I can identify with certain traits more than others, but I don't think I could stick with just one.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:44 am

Post by Venmar »

In post 2, zoraster wrote:
In post 1, Venmar wrote:I think, by definition, any cinephile or true film buff should be clicking on the last option
I don't think that's correct at all.
Maybe I shouldn't have put it so bluntly and blanketed ALL cinephiles as such, but I don't think I am being outrageous or unreasonable in making the assumption. I entertain discussion of why I might be wrong!

I personally love watching films for analytical reasons. I love deriving metaphors, meanings, hidden messages, and themes out of almost every film I watch. Films like
A Clockwork Orange
are films I love dissecting. I dissect what I can, where I can. I am in many ways, a Narrativist at heart, because I love writing myself and would love to write stories, books, or screenplays myself one day, and when watching a film I keep a close eye on the narrative and story being told.
Lord of the Rings
is one of my favourite narratives yet told, but to be fair, nostalgia dominates my opinion of that trilogy. I enjoy being a cultist at times, and the works of directors like
John Carpenter
actually make-up a large portion of my favourite films. I am Entertainment Driven as well; as much as I love analyzation and being a narrativist, I continually seek out films at times that at their core are just fun and entertaining.
Battleship
is perhaps my favourite example, a terrible film that I love because it's so entertaining for me. At times I have been a Structuralist, especially when I watch
Paul Thomas Anderson
films, which I love piecing together, and at times an Academic. But I think, at heart, I am an Escapist above all else.

As a movie watcher, I think I am bit of everything. Perhaps a bit more of one than others, but at the end, I have identified as one or another and can't honestly cling to one identifier myself. Perhaps I shouldn't claim that all cinephiles are or should be as such, but much like Kublai Khan's discovery, it would strike me as a discovery or shock if all cinephiles, to some degree or another, didn't identify with AT LEAST 3 of these traits.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--

Return to “General Discussion”