State of the Queue 2018

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

State of the Queue 2018

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Post by xofelf »

Hey everybody, I wanted to give you all some really cool stats from this past year of the queue to give you an idea of how we're doing.

In 2017, there were 7 Large Social Games: 5 Survivors, 2 Challenge-Based Games.
This is actually about the same if maybe more than years in the past.

76 users played LSGs. Of those 76, 28 were first time players. Out of those 28, 10 played more than one game.
Our player base is growing, last I knew the active player base was only about 40 people maybe.

There were 16 individual mods, 1 mod ran 3 games, 2 ran 2 games. 5 mods ran their first game this year as well.
This is less mods running all the games than usual, which is probably a good thing.

So with these stats in mind and the fact we have a new LSG mod, we would like to ask you the community a few questions about some things we will be trying to improve upon in the next few months.
1) What type of information do you expect to know about a Large Social Game before you dedicate months of your life to playing it?
2) How do you feel about the balance of Survivor games to Non-Survivor games?
3) If you haven't modded a Survivor game, what barriers are stopping you from doing so? If you have, what is stopping you from modding again?

If you're more comfortable answering these questions without discussion, you can use this form instead. But please, we very much want to have an open discussion about what the problems in the queue are with the community and to fix them as best we can. Thank you!
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Post by xofelf »

Anonymous Mole, no. But the Mole has run before, it just tends not to finish. mallowgeno is the only mod I can think of who has finished a Mole game.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Post by xofelf »

We've had Big Brother, but it's been a while. It certainly is allowed and encouraged if anyone wants to design it.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #40 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Post by xofelf »

In post 39, Chevre wrote:I guess the only thing I had to say was a response to Question #3, and it's a statement I've said before: Modding here has just changed so massively since the last time I did it. I mean, that game was ran solely on the forums and
quicktopics
. The biggest roadblock is figuring out forums and graphics and I just feel like there's nothing that really fairly presents the scope and breaks down step by step what needs to be done to run a game.
There is a step by step forum guide being made which will be public knowledge once it is finished. Do you think there should be an updated version of Xalxe's old how to mod a game guide?
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #45 (isolation #4) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 pm

Post by xofelf »

There was an attempt once. But I think it's much more of a Mish Mash game than LSG which is why it's in Sens-O-Tape and not the Social Games Archive.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #59 (isolation #5) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Post by xofelf »

Would they also include the same challenges? I think it's an interesting idea either way.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #81 (isolation #6) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 am

Post by xofelf »

In post 78, Chevre wrote:remind me i have something more to say when i get home and can be more eloquent
HEY CHEV YOU HAVE SOMETHING MORE TO SAY
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #85 (isolation #7) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Post by xofelf »

The Arkham games were both advertised as being twist-heavy so that people knew to expect extremely out there things. Doctor Who was also advertised for what it was in advance. It is not fun to think you're going to have a normal game and suddenly be playing something that has a twist every round or two. That only leads to players not having fun and being frustrated enough they want to quit playing the games. A lot of time goes into playing games as well as designing them and if games are advertised in advance for what level to expect, it keeps things much more positive for both counterparts. And that's the important part here. Having players shit all over your game when they're frustrated sucks a lot and makes the modding experience awful; having a game be more intense than you were willing to participate in is also terrible. And both of these situations lead to not enjoying games and just a general negative feel and we don't want that. These are supposed to be fun still and the experience should be something enjoyable. So we're trying to improve that and a way to do so is by having a system where people know what to expect before playing a game.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #127 (isolation #8) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 am

Post by xofelf »

In post 125, DeathNote wrote: But my biggest issue is for sure co-mods. No offense to the people slated to be my co-mods but I honestly think they are only there because we discussed the idea last summer and I semi Forced them into helping me. It was me getting excited for a theme and them encouraging me but not really modding.
No, you're not wrong on that at all. I remember when you had asked us originally, I had had quite a few projects going and was fine to be more of a person there to edit down things so they worked and do game running, but I certainly wasn't there as a full design member of the team. It's just not really my strong suit. I also had completely forgotten about it, so you are more than welcome to drop me from that if you want someone who is more active and not juggling a bunch of projects and life things.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #128 (isolation #9) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:56 am

Post by xofelf »

In post 126, xRECKONERx wrote:I do hear the feedback about the co-modding requirement.
Agreed. I think we can revisit this and adjust accordingly.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”