What's the best number for a merge?

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Post by Skelda »

I understand your points, however not making Jury sucks and the pain felt by the people who make the merge but not Jury outweighs the marginal benefit of finalists getting a few more rounds with Jurors. Plus no one thinks about voting out people they don't want on the Jury at the merge and even if people are it usually isn't known for sure that Jury hasn't started.

Making Jury is an accomplishment and when you don't make it that fucking sucks. Prejury people have my greatest sympathy, but I want as few people to deal with the pain of being prejury as possible.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

anywhere from 10-12 is the sweet spot, depending on playerlist size

could go 9 if 16 players though
green shirt thursdays
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Post by BROseidon »

12 or 10 for more rock potential without it being stupidly large
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Post by Aronis »

In post 25, Skelda wrote:I understand your points, however not making Jury sucks and the pain felt by the people who make the merge but not Jury outweighs the marginal benefit of finalists getting a few more rounds with Jurors. Plus no one thinks about voting out people they don't want on the Jury at the merge and even if people are it usually isn't known for sure that Jury hasn't started.

Making Jury is an accomplishment and when you don't make it that fucking sucks. Prejury people have my greatest sympathy, but I want as few people to deal with the pain of being prejury as possible.
this doesn't make any sense. If you start having large amounts of people make the jury, which is the most obvious and effective way to limit the number of people and therefore the amount of pain of not being jury, you're just going to devalue making the jury to the point it's not a notable accomplishment. That's not even mentioning other negative impacts.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:35 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 25, Skelda wrote:I understand your points, however not making Jury sucks and the pain felt by the people who make the merge but not Jury outweighs the marginal benefit of finalists getting a few more rounds with Jurors. Plus no one thinks about voting out people they don't want on the Jury at the merge and even if people are it usually isn't known for sure that Jury hasn't started.

Its not an accomplishment when like everyone makes the jury
third best scummer of all time
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:33 am

Post by BROseidon »

Congratulations on making the jury it's a huge accomplishment in the game of Survivor.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:46 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Jury point should be at merge, unless it’s a very early merge (13, or 12 in some cases). My method of keeping jury sizes manageable is just by putting the merge later.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
JaydragonKing
JaydragonKing
Mafia Scum
JaydragonKing
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am

Post by JaydragonKing »

I'm a fan of Survivor, so I thought it was when half the people minus one was gone? Like half of 20 plus one equals 11 when you merge.

And shouldn't the Jury nearly always be seven? I've seen multiple reality shows, and nearly 80% have seven as the jurors.

(This isn't counting when there are 3/4 teams, because then you have multiple times to merge and maybe if a team lost all but two members they get shuffled into the others and stuff.)
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Post by racefan12 »

In post 12, Haschel Cedricson wrote:Jury at 11 is a good number because the players don't know if it's F2 with 9 jurors or F3 with 8 jurors.
this

which would make merge naturally at 12
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 29, hiplop wrote:

Its not an accomplishment when like everyone makes the jury
I don't buy this argument. I think to a new player or a player who hasn't made the Jury before, the difference between 11th place Jury and 13th place Jury is fairly marginal, but the difference between 11th place Jury and 13th place prejury is massive. I'm not saying that we have 16 or 17 person Juries because yeah, that does devalue the Jury to a certain extent. I also think being somewhat unpredictable about when Jury/merge will occur is also good, so obviously you can't always have massive Juries.

But in general, starting Jury as early as you can is better. I also think that if you let the premerge drag on too long good players are more likely to be swap-screwed.

Also having larger Juries is probably more likely to result in winners who we want to win because with lower numbers you are more likely to have wonky votecounts. Something like a 3-2-2 is more likely with a small Jury, especially when people were recently voted off and it still stings. Having people on the Jury with more perspective is a good thing.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:30 am

Post by xofelf »

I think it depends on the size of the game, larger games 11-12 is a good merge, but smaller games 9. I do think that jury needs to not start until merge so that everyone in the jury has some idea of all the finalists personally, even if it's not much. I do think that jury starting a round or two after merge is also acceptable. But really, I think it's per game. Some of our game mechanics support merges at different times from the norm.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Post by Chevre »

there's no "ideal". The goal should always be to at least slightly subvert the players' expectations.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Post by McMenno »

ye, like "bet they won't expect an f3 again"
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 34, Skelda wrote:I don't buy this argument. I think to a new player or a player who hasn't made the Jury before, the difference between 11th place Jury and 13th place Jury is fairly marginal, but the difference between 11th place Jury and 13th place prejury is massive. I'm not saying that we have 16 or 17 person Juries because yeah, that does devalue the Jury to a certain extent. I also think being somewhat unpredictable about when Jury/merge will occur is also good, so obviously you can't always have massive Juries.
Who cares
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

For everything being said here, the least controversial twists in Civivor was the last Terra Incognito member (redemption island twist) becoming the first jury member. People's take on it seemed to be having a fairly unbiased jury member was a good and different person to impress!
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:35 am

Post by BROseidon »

Eh I was mildly miffed that it was someone I barely interacted with in the pre-merge but yeah that twist was pretty k.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Honestly I probably would have been a little bit upset if the other half of that twist hadn’t completely fucked me.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:09 am

Post by hiplop »

I think it was bad just the rest of stuff was more bad