Final Two or Final Three?

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #37 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:18 pm

Post by Skelda »

I prefer F2s because I like the random winners.

Plus I feel like with F3s I feel like on MS we have fewer obvious goats than on the show so split votes and the spoiler effect are more of a problem. The fact that the average winner in F3s only get 48% of the vote is terrible.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #64 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 am

Post by Skelda »

I have opinions but honestly they both have their merits. For all of the problems with F2s, I like that they can produce interesting, unexpected winners (even if the FTC itself is slightly less competitive) and there is something so exciting about there only being two people left. Maybe some of that's nostalgia, but I just find F2s more dramatic and conclusive.

F3s probably work better on the show because of the high number of goats/totally unvotable contestants compared to MS and they probably do have more competitive FTCs generally speaking, however they also can lead to the person who sweeps the FTC vote getting there more often which I think is less interesting and there's spoiler effect stuff that I guess falls somewhat on the players, but that's still a sucky way to lose.

Also our sample size is still a bit small to really make sweeping conclusions about F3s, but given that on this site anyway we've never had a zero vote getting third place contestant, the spoiler effect is literally impossible to avoid. All you can do is attempt to minimize it.

I dunno, I like both. I don't think we should totally swap to one or the other. I do prefer that it is either known or can be easily deduced if it's a F2 or F3 though. I think players having information is important because it's hard to plan for both.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #78 (isolation #2) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Post by Skelda »

In post 72, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:
In post 37, Skelda wrote:The fact that the average winner in F3s only get 48% of the vote is terrible.
this is my main problem

do F3 with preferential ballots
That's actually best of both worlds. Why doesn't it happen?
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #82 (isolation #3) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Post by Skelda »

I don't think I'd want approval voting. A lot of people might just approve the top two choices making the winner the most generally liked candidate but few people's top choice which I also think isn't very representative. Or people would strategically approve only one even though they were truly okay with either. Plus it would be tie-tastic even moreso than F3s normally are.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”