State of the Queue 2018

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #38 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 am

Post by Chevre »

ego for when i get home
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #39 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm

Post by Chevre »

I guess the only thing I had to say was a response to Question #3, and it's a statement I've said before: Modding here has just changed so massively since the last time I did it. I mean, that game was ran solely on the forums and
quicktopics
. The biggest roadblock is figuring out forums and graphics and I just feel like there's nothing that really fairly presents the scope and breaks down step by step what needs to be done to run a game.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #41 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Post by Chevre »

Probably wouldn't hurt!

Also I didn't realize that was in the process of being made. I await it.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #52 (isolation #3) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 am

Post by Chevre »

I don't know if players are looking for new twists, tbh. I know i'm the same way as Bella: it's not the crazy twists that get my gribblies fiddlin', it's just the play of the game.

I do think mods just take their opportunity to mod and are like "here's my super cool twist that's going to CHANGE the GAME" with mixed success, which is totally their prerogative, but I don't need hot new twistos twists.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #78 (isolation #4) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 am

Post by Chevre »

remind me i have something more to say when i get home and can be more eloquent
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #89 (isolation #5) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Post by Chevre »

OK I am home

In this recent throng of threads that have sprung up in the LSG forum, a lot of experienced players talk about games, their play, their moves with a lot of
intention
. Like when xRECKONERx was describing how he couldn't align with Boudica, or just any case where people are playing a game and their moves have more intention than just "staying alive another round."

This is by no means a bad thing -- it's obviously something that gets people to the end and gets them wins. But I know when I play I tend to lack that intentionality of my gameplay. Whether the motivations are different or it's a sense of passivity, I just don't think about the game "steps ahead", if you will. Maybe I'm completely alone in this, but I don't think so; I think that if I'm feeling this way after approximately 100 games played, there are surely newer players who come into this with a less complex way of looking at the game.

I think an important consideration, when it comes to talking about game complexity or ways to improve the modding/playing experience for new players, to consider those who aren't at a high-level of play yet. I mean, this is why it's important to get input from newer players, or like from people on the outside looking in (a.k.a. all those Kingsmeet attendees for whom Civivor was their first).

So many qualifications (?) here: maybe I'm totally alone here, maybe I'm underestimating the rest of the playerbase, maybe it's not a problem, I hope I'm not being condescending here toward either newer or high-level players. But from my sole perspective, I know I see people talk about games afterward or whenever and I feel like there is so much intentionality to it that I'm often just like "I'm not thinking that hard and probably should be."
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #119 (isolation #6) » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:27 am

Post by Chevre »

Looking at the current discussion in the game classification thread:

I think something mods should consider a bit more is whether or not the mechanics and twists they are injecting into their games are fun for the players. It's certainly fun for mods to load their games with mechanics and complexity and and cackle evilly as players have to meander through them. But in the end the mods are a small group of people, whereas 16-30 players signed up to this game to have fun (and possibly many more applied but didn't get accepted). I know that should I ever design a game I want to consider "Is this thing torture or a creative interesting bit?" when I'm designing all aspects of the game--structure, twists, and challenges.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”