State of the Queue 2018

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Post by racefan12 »

1) What type of information do you expect to know about a Large Social Game before you dedicate months of your life to playing it?

It basically just comes down to whether or not it's going to be fun. Of course, the problem with that is that it's impossible to come up with a definition of "fun" that multiple people are going to agree with. I guess what I really want to know is, what makes your game unique (like the stamina system in Medevac/One World or Magic Kingdom being non-anon). I realize some mods want their unique twist ideas to be a secret, but I still think that the existence of unique twists/features should be disclosed, along with enough information to give players an idea of what to expect without spoiling everything.

2) How do you feel about the balance of Survivor games to Non-Survivor games?

It really comes down to what there is demand for. I'd love to see more non-Survivor games, but not if no one's gonna play them. I never would have known of the existence of The Challenge if not for this forum, and I always love seeing things I've never seen before.

3) If you haven't modded a Survivor game, what barriers are stopping you from doing so? If you have, what is stopping you from modding again?

Lack of time (like I'm pretty sure the only reason Pirate Master isn't running now is because I can't assist with actually running a game until May). I'm also bad with actually coming up with ideas and designing stuff. But from working with Xalxe and Monty, I seem to be pretty good as the guy to bounce stuff off and analyze what could work or what could go wrong. And numbers, because apparently numbers are hard.
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (isolation #1) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Post by racefan12 »

I think part of the issue with extreme twists like the nature of returning players is that veteran players have some level of expectation that these things can happen (even if they're not explicitly stated), but new players do not. And if you're a newer player, that's frustrating. It seems that part of the reasoning behind not revealing twists is so that no one knows what to expect, but veteran players can make guesses about stuff that newer players cannot.
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”