Dance of the Title Fairy: Accepting Applications

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4350 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:41 am

Post by Venmar »

Kublai Khan the Khan Man.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #4351 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 4344, Shaziro wrote:I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with giving Mastina a title on this account if a good one comes up, but I think if we have to keep workshopping and trying to find one, it might just mean that there isn't really a good one to be thought of at the moment, and I do think that if we are actually putting in effort to find a title for somebody rather than it coming up "naturally". Quotations there because I think it's rare that a title is perfect right off the dome, but it seems like the good titles aren't the ones where everybody says "Hey this person needs a title, let's all sit and try to think of one". I also don't think that a title has to encapsulate everything about a person in order to be a good title. Then again, I'm very new to the site, compared to a lot of the folks here, so this could all be completely wrong :^)
nom mastina for this as her title
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #4352 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Post by vonflare »

also xyzzy still doesn't have
comical third option
which should have happened like years ago come on people
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #4353 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 4351, vonflare wrote:nom mastina for this as her title
third best scummer of all time
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4354 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 4344, Shaziro wrote:I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with giving Mastina a title on this account if a good one comes up, but I think if we have to keep workshopping and trying to find one, it might just mean that there isn't really a good one to be thought of at the moment, and I do think that if we are actually putting in effort to find a title for somebody rather than it coming up "naturally".

Quotations there because I think it's rare that a title is perfect right off the dome, but it seems like the good titles aren't the ones where everybody says "Hey this person needs a title, let's all sit and try to think of one". I also don't think that a title has to encapsulate everything about a person in order to be a good title. Then again, I'm very new to the site, compared to a lot of the folks here, so this could all be completely wrong :^)
No, your thoughts are just about right as far as I'm concerned. Not just for me, for any user, this is more or less a fairly succinct encapsulation of what I feel is at the heart and core of the titling process. There really isn't a 'really good one' to be thought of at the moment, and it is anything but natural.

A title doesn't need to perfectly sum up a user. But the title needs to hold some sort of deeper meaning. Virtually every suggestion for a title for me is more or less "Oh she's verbose let's give her a title for that again in spite of us having done so explicitly once and implicitly a second time". (The Second Coming references MANY things and verbosity is not nearly at the forefront of them...but verbosity is
among
the things it references.) That's not what a title should be.

Yes, verbosity is a core aspect of me in multiple ways. I am verbose both in part because it is my natural default state (autistic people tend to be more wordy as a general rule in writing and I am no exception to this), and because I've come to accept it as part of my identity and learned to make use of it, both in weaving intricate narratives and in what I call "The Magic Of Talking". (I firmly believe that talking, just talking, holds a magical power which can bond people together like no other force. They just have to...let loose and keep going. About anything and everything. The results are just...magical.)

Yes, because it is a core aspect of me it is notable.
Yes, titles do not need to encapsulate all of the aspects of a user. They don't need to perfectly sum the user up.

But they need to still hold a level of actual meaning beyond just the surface level. This is what differentiates bad title suggestions from good ones. Good title suggestions just have this way of resonating in multiple ways. And while discussion for titles to some extent is okay, while some level of talking about titles is acceptable because rarely is it ever the first title suggestion that makes it through (the suggestions become refined along the idea to gain nuances), past a certain point, the discussion just falls flat because it becomes forced.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4355 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Post by mastina »

(tl;dr version: Good titles resonate on multiple levels. Suggesting a title for me because of verbosity is not something which resonates on multiple levels, it is something which just falls flat because while it is in fact referencing my most notable trait...it's doing nothing more than that.)
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4356 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 4354, mastina wrote:succinct
To be clear: quack
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4357 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Nominate mastina for “Soap Box”

This references the fact that mastina posts are very long winded and much like impromptu speech.
References the fact she thinks what she is saying is important.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #4358 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 4352, vonflare wrote:also xyzzy still doesn't have
comical third option
apprently we're too busy trying to come up with a comical third title for mastina
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #4359 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 4358, Errantparabola wrote:
In post 4352, vonflare wrote:also xyzzy still doesn't have
comical third option
apprently we're too busy trying to come up with a comical third title for mastina
so Nth it
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4360 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 4357, Firebringer wrote:

This references the fact that mastina posts are very long winded and much like impromptu speech.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #4361 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 4360, Firebringer wrote:
In post 4357, Firebringer wrote:

nth
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4362 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 4357, Firebringer wrote:References the fact she thinks what she is saying is important.
lul
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4363 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Post by Killthestory »

just because you use less words doesn't put you on a pedestool to imply your posts are somehow important
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4364 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 4354, mastina wrote:both in weaving intricate narratives and in what I call "The Magic Of Talking".
Show

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #4365 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 4363, Killthestory wrote:just because you use less words doesn't put you on a pedestool to imply your posts are somehow important
This argument is just a damp squid
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4366 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Post by Davsto »

squids are already damp!
kanyeknowsbest
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
mafi ascum

Post Post #4367 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Post by kanyeknowsbest »

In post 4308, Thestatusquo wrote:re: current raybells debate:
In post 4003, Thestatusquo wrote:I don't care one way or the other about lolbalance as a title, but for the love of god can it not be rainbow text if it goes through.

Also, my favorite titles are:
Thirteenthly
Did his job
It's pronounced "xalxe"
Friends Forever! <3
Princeton's Pride
mafi ascum
die suck die
GD is my wing/Best Man

I think they all share something in common, which is they are born from either one single memorable moment, which became a site meme on its own, which had a lot of staying power. That is to say, its not like "x thing happened" and then someone nominated it for a title, but rather something happened and it became a part of that users persona so that when it got nominated the response was "oh, thats perfect" not "is this even going to be a thing in 6 months?" OR it has been a consistent part of the users persona for a long time that it became part of what defined them. Kanye talks in broken words. PJ used to go on 1000 word rants in game. People always argued about how to pronounce xalxe.

The only notable exception to this on the list of titles I really like is friends forever, which is based on a particularly funny moment in a game and then immediately became a title because it was so damn funny.

I think a lot of newer titles suffer from the fact that the site is a lot larger than it used to be, and a lot older. It's harder for something to be unique and memorable, and even if it is the larger user base means that many people may still not be genuinely familiar. Many of the older titles if you look at them are really innocuous stuff that happens all the time. But when the site is only 200 people, you can be the "self vote day 1 guy" and end up with a title for it. Theres even an instance of a title for "hitting the eligible title threshold." Simply put, we complain about how all the recent titles suck, but if you look at a lot of the old titles (especially the super old titles) they also suck. We have a long history of shitty titles on this site. The difference is that we don't have low hanging fruit anymore.

All this is to say that I don't feel a particular pull to the alisae nom, but also I think this idea that titles need to be super awesome is revisionist to begin with, and it becomes more difficult to come up with "good" titles than it used to be with each title we give. So sure, let them have it. Just not with rainbow text.
hello all i wanna quote this befcause i agree w. shea on basically 100% of what he said. ty4 your time
add me on snapchat and vine and twitter and instagram : ]
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4368 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:25 am

Post by Killthestory »

In post 4366, Davsto wrote:squids are already damp!
haha!!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #4369 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:00 am

Post by Psyche »

is water "wet"
and if not, are squids really "damp"?
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #4370 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 am

Post by Errantparabola »

I'm going to officially renom RC for Smooth Criminal.

Annie, he plays good as scum. Both of these things are notable things about RC. I think it's ridiclous that this isn't a title yet, it's better than a bunch of titles that have gone through. Its certainly better than any other title nom for RC. Nth if you're cool.

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4371 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 am

Post by Firebringer »

Nth Smooth Criminal
Show

Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4372 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

Post by Alisae »

Nth Smooth Criminal
GTKAS
| here.
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4373 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 am

Post by beeboy »

Sorry when I read that title I can't really identify RC's personality, full name, address, interests, occupation, birthday, his dogs name and it doesn't embody everything RC has ever done on this site.
So I guess this just isn't special enough.

Next idea pls.
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #4374 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am

Post by Errantparabola »

for the record, nom originally made by giggles.

and panzer can fight me, it's objectively a good title. if psyche's hypothetical titlebot took in a bunch of titles that people said were good titles it would say smooth criminal was a good title.

--implosion
provided

Return to “Player Titles”