VARSOON'S GUIDE TO MODDING

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Varsoon, you misuse dearth in your post. <3 Perhap "deluge" instead? :D

pedit: beeboy, Varsoon hates multiball. Everytime he's ran anything remotely multiball like it's purely as a test to try to make a multiball game balanced....and none of his attempts have completely worked. :P
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #40 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

For the record, your FFT rolecards are the best I've ever seen. Jaw dropped when I received the first PM. :D

I mean, I got used to the formatting you used in Space Dandy 2/Bloodborne/SU games, but the FFT cards were just so friggin different and brought this massive wellspring of nostalgia. :)

Basically, if you ever do another Final Fantasy based game, and don't do something similar, I'll be really fucking sad. :P
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #45 (isolation #2) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 41, Alisae wrote:
In post 40, Cerberus v666 wrote:For the record, your FFT rolecards are the best I've ever seen. Jaw dropped when I received the first PM. :D

I mean, I got used to the formatting you used in Space Dandy 2/Bloodborne/SU games, but the FFT cards were just so friggin different and brought this massive wellspring of nostalgia. :)

Basically, if you ever do another Final Fantasy based game, and don't do something similar, I'll be really fucking sad. :P
There's no reward for making photoshopped role pms.
Or any photoshopped related artwork for your game.
And I do GFXing as a hobby (See, For Us, Railgun, Beneath The Mask)
It's labor for no reason.

Plus Cerby, I think you're always going to love Varsoon's games :P
Pfft. Just because I love the game doesn't mean that I won't be comparing it to what it COULD have been if I get a pure text role card. :D Seriously though, you are right that it's not something with a reward(though arguably the paperback writer award should take those details into account, if it doesn't already),but it does a lot to make a game feel like a unique experience. It's not just another mafia game.

It's a Varsoon game. <3

Also...I don't think I've always 100% loved Varsoon's games. I think conceptually they've all been inspired and daring, but the execution has made some less enjoyable than others(though tbh I think only Bloodborne falls in this category, and that was mainly because Varsoon broke one of his own rules by allowing one player to remove all the agency from all the other slots).
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:17 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 46, Alisae wrote:Actually I lied.
When you're Cheetory and you do paint drawings for your game as high quality memes, then yeah, there's reward for that because you KNOW your players will love that. In fact, that's the main thing your game has.

But otherwise
No reward.
Ofc, there are decent human beings like say Cerby who will admire a well done photoshopped role pm. And that in of itself is a reward sure.
But otherwise I don't think the time put into making 25 or something photoshopped role pms that are all of FFT tactic quality (This game however I'd assume it would take a lot less time since there's hardly any real change between each pm. I'm not really calling that FFT tactic quality though) is worth it.
Were you in FFT Alisae? It was a game with a secret playerlist, and most of the town didn't reveal themselves after losing. :P

Those PM's...are even more of a magical thing than you realize, because every players role was constructed by a draft of different classes, so each role PM was a mishmash of different abilities that weren't able to be fully constructed in advance of the game. :D
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #51 (isolation #4) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:38 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 50, Alisae wrote:Also as a side note.
I hate it when my players prod me for a votecount while I am asleep and/or in class.
And like, I understand their needs and I love them.
It's just like, if I am asleep, of course I am not going to be able to bring a votecount. Especially if I have to go through 30 pages. Which, has happened before. Like, I feel bad for FA who had to go through 60 pages in a 32p game just to be fully caught up and do a VC in the rematch of The Real Folk Blues.
But when I wake up, the first thing I try to do if I'm not immediately busy with something, is to do a votecount.
And when I get a ping from someone to do a votecount while I am asleep, it makes me feel like my players don't trust me to provide a vc. And that kind of feeling just hurts me.

Also (I don't really think this has ever happened to me though), I usually have a vc somewhat done before class. So while I'm in class, I should be able to hope that that vc is enough to last my players 3 hours. So it kinda just annoys me if someone were to ping me for a vc while I am in class because I feel powerless to provide one.

Basicly why I hate being prodded for votecounts is
  • It makes me feel like as a mod you don't trust me to deliver a prompt vc whenever I can.
  • I'm not chained to my computer, and as a result, pinging me for a vc when I can provide one makes me feel powerless as a mod.
  • I may have to read through 30 pages given the current site meta just to provided a vc. So seeing a ping in the middle of those 30 pages just looks like a huge fuck you sign.
Perhaps have in your signature(or the opening posts of the game) the times you generally won't be available and express this sentiment there, so people don't bug you. Also, immediately making a placeholder post saying something like VC incoming as soon as i catch up on x pages will let people who are actively there know that a VC is incoming, so they won't bother you while you're catching up.

I completely appreciate your feelings on the matter, I just think some clearer communication will keep players who are overzealous from bugging you about things you're already doing/doing your best to do.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #55 (isolation #5) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 54, Alisae wrote:Also is it just me, or do others hate it when the mod talks about themselves in third person like
"The mod will be V/LA and as such may not be able to provide as frequent vcs"
or
"The mod got addicted to PSO2 and as a result may not be able to provide a vc as frequently because lolmmo stuff."

I only do it with my prods because my c/p for my prods is cute, and even then I say "Alisaes" because its cute.

Like, just be personal with your players and be yourself, because garsh darn it people like you for who you are (hopefully).
Like, if I said "Hey, I'm going on a vacation for 2 weeks and someone will provide vcs for me while I'm gone. I'll try to answer anything I can but I'm only limited to mobile and don't even know if I'll have a stable connection." I feel like that that connects me more to my players if I'm addressing them on that level.
I've never seen a mod do what you just described.

It does sound terrible.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #63 (isolation #6) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 62, Vaxkiller wrote:If I wanted to start dipping my hand into modding, how would I start writing? Should I just PM myself the info? Is it possible to get a PT? What do people usually do?
With the games I've been involved with developing(none of which actually exist yet) we've used google documents and such to coordinate input into the conversation. I imagine you can do the same for a game you're working on yourself. ^^

Perhaps some of the awesome mods have their own methodology for keeping everything organized for their own games though.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”