Game Classifications

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #42 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

Big Brother would rate as fairly incomplex on this scale too but we're not using non-survivor standards to judge our survivor rating system.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #45 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

this raises some interesting questions around grey areas that we can consider:

DBZA Had an item that let you communicate with the jury. Do you think that should affect the Communication rating?

Civilization had a private forum controlled by the winner of it that let them invite chosen friends at any time. Should that affect the Communication rating?
what if it was a chatzy

In Magic Kingdom the majority of my communications with people weren't PMs at all, it was all skype chats and chatrooms. What kind of rating does that earn?
Do the 1-4 immunity necklaces handed out every round during the merge count as items/an outstanding twist enough to get max points?

I didn't mean that Big Brother in Survivor is normal :p but that we wouldn't use a scale that decides if survivor games are whack to say a BB game is normal so shouldn't do the other way around either and MLS was not a Survivor game.
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #48 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

I'm mostly asking this because the introduction of real-time chatting is considered by some people to be extremely bastard and game-changing
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #57 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

My opinion on this is the minute you introduce swaps you're introducing twist points because, if y'all recall, survivor didn't originally have swaps at all.
The part where we think 3-4 swaps is normal is the part where our normal meters are broken.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #59 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

No, absolutely not. You're saying that from the perspective of how we expect 2 or more so 0 would surprise people. But looking at it purely from a game-building perspective instead of people's expectations, any time you swap it's a twist that changes the game state from what it is to something else unexpected and often out of the player's control. 26 seasons had swaps which means 17 didn't, weighted towards early seasons, and of those 5 have had two.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #75 (isolation #5) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

Oh, the mechanics were definitely an issue because half the pre-merge quit, and then when they ran out of replacements people just stuck around long enough to get eliminated without PMing anyone. The worst part of the pre-merge was how many people weren't playing it.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #78 (isolation #6) » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 am

Post by Shadoweh »

What Zoraster said tickled at my brain a little, the idea of either no swaps, or three tribes merging into two then one being the baseline sounds like a good idea.
I think it just doesn't sound like a lot when it is. It also depends on the size of the merge, if a 24-player merges at 12, 3 swaps is still a swap every 4 rounds.
Reck, do you have any thoughts on the questions I asked about Communication?

I also think twisty isn't all a bad thing, there's a reason we like to spice stuff up. We've just normalized all the crazy stuff that happens because it doesn't compare to the even crazier stuff.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #82 (isolation #7) » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:23 am

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 81, xRECKONERx wrote:Which communications question, Shadow?
Post 45, regarding what does and doesn't raise some points, since people posted some examples of what they think ratings should be.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”