A New Modding Tool

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

A New Modding Tool

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Post by Beefster »

The robandkriskris vote counter is great and all, but it has some deficiencies:
  • It won't catch hammer votes that get masked later on.
  • It doesn't help you if and when you need to manually verify votes.
  • Name matching leaves something to be desired. It matched "MUMBLES" to "Lexa" in one instance, and it even made a mistake somewhere when my game was at about 12 pages, with no warning.
  • It always loads the full day even when it would be sufficient to start from the most recent vote count.
With the first 2 points in mind, I set out to solve that problem. Initially, the script was just a filter that printed lines from posts that would be important to the moderator like @mod and votes. It wasn't long before I started counting votes and things just sort of grew from there. So I decided to put the script on Github.

I figured I could share it with the world and allow others to do the same.

mafiascum Mod Tool

It's messy as hell right now, but maybe I'll clean it up someday.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 am

Post by Beefster »

To each their own, I guess. I don't really care if anyone uses my program, but if they do, great. If someone wants to contribute, they're welcome to do so.

I actually have been paying attention to the gist of my game, it's just that counting votes by hand is tedious an error-prone... But that's coming from a programmer who automates things for a living, so anything manual is tedious and error-prone.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Post by Beefster »

In post 4, yessiree wrote:I wish more mod tools would leave out name parsing/matching (because lets face it, it's a hard problem) and just return a list of raw strings for each valid vote instead

I feel that would be less error prone, but still provides the right amount of complement
The vote counting is actually optional, so you're welcome to do vote counts manually.

Mine also gives warnings for every imperfect name match.

Honestly, it's not as hard of a problem as some of the stuff I've done in AI/Machine Learning/Data Science classes.
Get to know a meat boy

Return to “Mafia Discussion”