Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3100 (ISO) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 am

Post by Chickadee »

Alchemists is great. When I played, one of the other players accidentally knocked his whole screen down and pieces went everywhere and he lost everything. He tried to put in back by memory. He did not win that game.

I too find myself second guessing my deductions there.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #3101 (ISO) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Spoiler: DropMix was a smash hit at SurvivorMeet

(ignore the food bowls)

Created a thread for it here for anyone interested in the game or who already has it (Chickadee, hito, ???) so we don't spam this one with mixes and shit.

Also played Mysterium over that weekend which was great, and Mystic Vale which I did very badly in but would totally play more of.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3102 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:42 am

Post by Chevre »

Does anyone have the 7 Wonders app? I just got it on android and seems like it might be fun to play with people.

Also the games are really quick, so it's totally fine against AI.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3103 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 am

Post by PJ. »

how much does it cost/
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3104 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:48 am

Post by Chevre »

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3105 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:53 am

Post by PJ. »

send me 4.99
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #3106 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Post by hiplop »

Yo its 10$ here fuck that
third best scummer of all time
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3107 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Post by Chickadee »

A friend of mine is selling a ton of games, and I snatched up Ethnos. Super excited to add it to my collection.

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3108 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Finally got to play BSG with 5p the other day - it's fun but brutal (we usually play with 6p - NoSymp variant, which gives the Humans twice as many actions as the Cylons). I got a weird pull...not only was I a Cylon from the outset (Gaeta), but at Kobol I also pulled the second Cylon card! Never even went over to the Cylon Fleet board, as it was more fun to pass on that second unrevealed loyalty card to Helo and watch the humans play WIFOM. After AdmiralPresidentHelo revealed himself, the humans died a couple of turns later with three boarding parties on the board. Ugly synergy there! :twisted:

I really like the Cylon Fleet and Personal Goal options from the Exodus expansion... they even out the game considerably. Also a friend of mine 3d printed some diemnsional Basestars for me, which help the visual of the board a great deal (especially since the expansion with plastic Basestars is now out of print). Apparently Asmodee Games has bought Fantasy Flight and might be reconfiguring the entire game for re-release...?
Retired as of October 2014.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3109 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Chickadee »

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/244513/ice-cool-2

Whhaaaaaaat!!

This looks amazing. I love Ice Cool! But they really missed an opportunity naming it Cool Edge.

Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #3110 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

Sidreal Confluence is the fucking real deal. Great game.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3111 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 am

Post by PJ. »

Sentient is my jam
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3112 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Oh damn guys, I have to tell you about this.

So in my group, we play Burgle Bros, pretty much every week. We never tire of it. We switch it up between the bank job and fort knox from time to time. Well tonight, we made our own extremely bastardized version of the game. So we took everything, shuffled all the rooms together (safes and stairs included), and made one big 4x12 floor. We used the wall generator app for the walls like normal, then chose one or two walls at random to move between the sections to make a more interesting layout. There are pictures that can come later, maybe tomorrow when I'm not as tired. We still used all three guards, and just decided that movement for all of them was the same. We started it at 3. Since all the guards are on one floor, we randomized which guard moves, and designated them as 1, 2, and 3. For this, we actually broke into another game to get some maples that we wouldn't confuse with our character pieces. We used Deep Sea Adventure diver maples, if anyone is curious. We also busted into Roll For It to get color coordinated dice for each guard destination. We did away with the movement decks and instead used dice to determine location. That meant that no one location was safe from being previously visited. We ended up using a D12 and a D4 together to determine destination, and a D3 (we used an app, so it had a D3, but a D6 could easily be used as well assigning 2 numbers to each gaurd) to determine which guard moved. Every time a safe was cracked, all guard movement went up. Any time an alarm was triggered, all destinations were changed to the alarm, and they all start converging, the first one to reach it will turn it off, and then you assign new locations, first for the guard that is going through the movement phase, then for subsequent guards based in number order (thats where the 1-3 designation came in handy again). We treated Atriums as foyers. If walkways were revealed via move, it ended all movement and you had to draw an event regardless of how many actions you had already taken. Once all safes were cracked, all guards moved after a turn.

I'm sure I might be forgetting some things, but wow was it amazing. It really sparked us to try and think of other crazy layouts and modes we could come up with. Let me know if this sparks any questions and I'll let you know what we decided. It was really wild.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3113 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Oh and just for the heck of it, because we had one person show up and was just hanging around we opened it up to 5 players. Because why not.

I will say, because it was so bastardized, we did have to improvise a bit. Like, theres not enough safe crack tokens for instance.

implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3114 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 pm

Post by implosion »

Spirit island arrived yesterday. I somehow convinced my roommates to play it today, and they SOMEHOW were willing to play it a second time (with pandemic legacy season 2 and some breaks in between).

But good god is it everything I'd hoped. I was honestly expecting at least one of my roommates to just find it too heavy and not enjoy it, and he was definitely like, stressed out and drained, but clearly enjoyed it enough to want to play it a second time (which I wasn't even pushing for).

First game played rampant green + river + earth vs brandenberg-prussia level 0 (I was rampant green, they were the minor spirits playing with power progressions) pretty straightforwardly won, with rampant green ramping out more presence from vital strength being hilarious as expected. The second game though, was just fucking awesome. First game was a straightforward win so we upped it by a few steps but not too steeply, played against Sweden level 3. I was thunderspeaker, roommates were lightning and ocean, and we got some pretty absurd synergy going. I got gift of constancy which I used to constantly feed energy to lightning and let him either keep playing shattered homesteads (which is a stupidly strong cheap town destruction and fear engine, especially since being playable at slow or fast speed means you can use it either before a ravage or after a build), or keep letting ocean constantly drown cities at fast speed to stop Sweden's high-damage ravages.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3115 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Post by Chevre »

WE PLAYED INNOVATION AGAIN THIS WEEKEND AND I FORGOT HOW FUN IT IS!!!!
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3116 (ISO) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:35 am

Post by inte »

what should be my next buy on this list. i just bought bang! dice zombie dice, and onitama. that'll do it for a few weeks.

http://a.co/eofWRPd

i just keep the list on amazon to price check, normally buy these at a local game store. recs are of course welcome.
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3117 (ISO) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:23 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

mysterium is FANTASTIC if you have a good creative group to play with. it's co-op and a hell of a lot of fun with tons of replayability.
dead of winter is some people's cup of tea. i own it. it's not mine. it's fun but it is long and takes forever to set up
takenoko is super chill and fun and probably good for kids if they're gonna be involved? also fun to just chill & play online
carcassonne is a good gateway game for new board gamers. sort of like the archetypal "build the board" mechanic
pandemic was a good start but IMO there's TONS of other cooperative games that took the pandemic mechanics and expanded on them
ticket to ride, like carcassonne, is a good gateway game for new board gamers. this one's probably a lot more basic than carcassonne. also if you HAVE TO HAVE IT, get the europe version, it's the best one
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3118 (ISO) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

so basically mysterium > takenoko > carcassonne > dead of winter > ticket to ride europe > pandemic
green shirt thursdays
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3119 (ISO) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Post by Chickadee »

my list would go:
Mysteruim > Burgle Bros > Photosynthesis > Takenoko > Santorini > Pandemic > Carcassonne > Ticket to Ride Europe > Dead of Winter

I will say though, I really do not enjoy Dead of Winter. Anything not in the list I either haven't played or don't have much opinion on.

inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3120 (ISO) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Post by inspiratieloos »

Also, buy Pandemic Legacy instead of Pandemic. Legacy contains the complete base game, so you can just play it without the legacy rules a few times for the vanilla pandemic experience and then play legacy.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3121 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 am

Post by PJ. »

Only buy legacy if the plan is to play 12 to 24 games of pandemic with the same exact people.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #3122 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 3121, PJ. wrote:Only buy legacy if the plan is to play 12 to 24 games of pandemic with the same exact people.
This^
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3123 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:48 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 3114, implosion wrote:Spirit island arrived yesterday
thanks to your post I spent a good chunk of my weekend watching playthroughs of Spirit Island. The game looks amazing. I might actually buy it for myself. It would be the first board game I ever bought myself

diversity of play looks amazing, and I'm still trying to find videos of a few of the spirits. Seems almost everyone plays with a Vital Strength of the Earth Spirit or Thunderspeaker
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3124 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:46 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3120, inspiratieloos wrote:Also, buy Pandemic Legacy instead of Pandemic. Legacy contains the complete base game, so you can just play it without the legacy rules a few times for the vanilla pandemic experience and then play legacy.
Spoiler:
False. The board is different. Yes, you can get the sense of play, but the board being slightly different is a big deal to me.

Spoiler: currently playing through season 1
Last night during our campaign, we got a new character and my friends let drunk me name him. His name is Buster Moove. I found it hilarious.

Return to “The Arcade”