State of the Queue 2018

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 am

Post by Cephrir »

In post 0, xofelf wrote:1) What type of information do you expect to know about a Large Social Game before you dedicate months of your life to playing it?
2) How do you feel about the balance of Survivor games to Non-Survivor games?
3) If you haven't modded a Survivor game, what barriers are stopping you from doing so? If you have, what is stopping you from modding again?
1) Twist level. I may be willing to play any level, but I really want to know what I'm getting into, and I'm probably less likely to play higher-twist games unless I really like the theme. Also, number of players, mods, and theme, obviously.

2) I think the flat number of Survivor games is decent -- ideally there should be one going on at any given time and more if demand warrants it. If there is demand for other stuff, great, run it, I don't care. Realistically I am here for Survivor and maybe Big Brother and anything else I'm going to play rarely and not take seriously.

3) I don't make a secret of the fact that I haven't modded since Bands because I was put off and hurt by the volume and intensity of criticism it received. As players and spectators, we need to be more mindful of how much we abuse people who spend their free time and energy to try to put together something positive and fun for us; if anything, this problem seems to have gotten worse since early 2016. The mods may not be perfect, but they are trying. I have done my best to put this into the world as a player and spectator since then. I am hesitantly returning to the mod scene with carefully selected co-mods and possibly caveats about how players are allowed to contact me.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:56 am

Post by Cephrir »

I'm in favor of a scale or a subjective rating by the LSG mods for twist level (it would help these subjective ratings to be more reasonably related to expectations if they were always being made by the same person/people).
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:55 am

Post by Cephrir »

In post 30, hiplop wrote:Mod of game should be like "I think it's this". Listmod can agree disagree.
Well that's how we get [every game where the mod thinks it's low twist and it's not, which is virtually every recent one].
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (isolation #3) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 am

Post by Cephrir »

if you're going to do it, i prefer the redemption island mechanic to other methods. everyone knows it's happening and when someone is fully eliminated.
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #130 (isolation #4) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Post by Cephrir »

two-person teams are absolutely fine as long as both mods are willing to be active participants in the day-to-day running of the show, so the burden doesn't all end up on one person. in practice, having a third one hasn't seemed to reduce the incidence of this because a lot of the time that third person just kinda signs on and doesn't do anything.
Bartleby the Scrivener

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”