State of the Queue 2018

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #50 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

In post 49, Bellaphant wrote:I also think people (me) are out off by modding because it feels like an unknown. Basic game design - fine, but it's hard to know how much...technical skill is needed to create a survivor forum that works - things like graphics all the way down to 'can I confidently change permissions at a tribe swap'.
I am probably 90-95% done with a guide that walks moderators through this process!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #55 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:59 am

Agreed. I suspect Civ would have been better-received if it hadn't come directly off the heels of MLS and One World being back-to-back with no simpler games in-between.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #77 (isolation #2) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 am

Agreed with Bro. As Clock King all I cared about was helping Star Sapphire so I had no motivation to not leak everything Abe told me. As Rend I channeled all my frustration into taking down Abathur basically because I could. If instead of being a ghost I had been a full-fledged returning player neither of those events would have occurred.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #103 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 am

I'm not sure if you'd want a 100% rerun where everyone can guess what order the challenges are coming up and can factor that into their voting decisions. But I think a moderator taking the exact structure of a game and picking previous challenges from a mixture of games would be perfectly fine.

I know when I mod a game I feel like I have to try for a mix of brand new challenges, classic challenges, and variations on old challenges, but there's absolutely no reason that has to happen. If a mod did nothing but take their favorite challenges from old games it would still be perfectly fine.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #108 (isolation #4) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:11 am

I'm worried it would lead to things like "I know Flappy Bird is coming up and I think this guy might be Klick; let's vote him out now but pretend it's for unrelated reasons so it doesn't look like we're breaking the ID rules."
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #110 (isolation #5) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am

Hmm. I understand that and don't necessarily disagree. It also provides incentive to keep challenge beasts in the pre-merge stage.

The tacit encouragment of playing to IDs is a problem, though.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #131 (isolation #6) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 pm

I strongly disagree with changing the comod requirement. Before that rule was in place it was a constant thing where Xofelf would have to step in as a de facto moderator. We have plenty of mods, what we need are to encourage those pairs to be more proactive about recruiting a third and continually encourage new people to mod.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”