Theme Test Market and Co-Mod Recruitment

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 6, PrivateI wrote:Just wanted to throw out Upcoming Game Ideas Survivor: Ghost Island, where every player plays as a theme that never came to pass in the Upcoming Game Ideas thread.
Omg I love it. Yes please.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #42 (isolation #1) » Tue May 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Post by Skelda »

Yeah I don't think someone would be able to pull off totally faking an ID. Like are you allowed to reference conversations that you've had was the person outside of the site? Are you allowed to say "Tell me something only Drench would know to prove that it's you."? I am open to the idea of semi-anonymous games being run, but I'm not sure if I would play them. I suspect they might just become functionally nonanonymous games that are a little messy

I would love for more full anonymous games to be run though, right now there's a grand total of zero that aren't challenge-based. I think the pros and cons have been discussed here and elsewhere, but both anon and nonanon games ought exist. I don't think that's controversial. We just need mods to do it
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #46 (isolation #2) » Wed May 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Post by Skelda »

Yes yes Vijarada gets me
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #105 (isolation #3) » Fri May 04, 2018 11:32 am

Post by Skelda »

Also like logos are so devoid of personality, it's messed up but how someone's avatar looks totally affects how I think of them and how much I like them. And I also got Columbus and Colorado mixed up all the time and still do tbh

I didn't get the people in Nexus messed up and I knew none of them going in, I don't know what Hiplop is talking about. Also Zabanthur isn't a thing.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #106 (isolation #4) » Fri May 04, 2018 11:37 am

Post by Skelda »

I think the best themes are themes that virtually all potential players can relate to, I don't care that much about most themes and sign up regardless of them, but my favorite theme so far of a game that I've been in is Civ because even though I don't play the video game, I know world history and almost everyone knows some world history so that was an easy place to start conversations

The polar opposite of that is DBZ Abridged where the theme was about as niche as it can get

So I would support like a UN game or a Food game, I know people were suggesting Survivor of the Fittest at one point and that would also be great. You want as much familiarity with the theme as possible
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #151 (isolation #5) » Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 141, Mina wrote:ITT: people don't believe that different things are relevant to different people.

(I grew up watching Dragonball and Dragonball Z, so it's very mainstream to me, but we're all weird nerds so our sense of relevancy is skewed. I would say Dragonball Z is much less obscure than Final Fantasy or Civilizarion or Blizzard games to a random person on the street.)
I'm nerdy but in a different way than a lot of guys (i.e. I don't watch cartoons or play video games) and of these things, before starting to play these games Civilization is the only one that I could tell you anything about and I'd played/watched none of them. I don't think my perspective about stuff like this is particularly representative though. I still couldn't tell you anything about Final Fantasy and I'm not totally clear on what games are/aren't Blizzard games even after playing Nexus, but that doesn't mean that those things aren't popular or there shouldn't be games themed around them, lol

Basically everything feels niche when you aren't exposed to it. I think people should run games that maximize the number of potential players who care about the theme, but obviously they aren't obligated to. If you're putting months of your life into hosting a Survivor game you should be able to choose what theme it's going to have, but I do think that caring about the theme can lead to players having a better time or caring more about the game
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #248 (isolation #6) » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Post by Skelda »

In post 240, Save The Dragons wrote:I am looking for comods for a game called Survivor of the Fittest, it will be an animal kingdom themed game. Plenty of room for design, looking for at least one partner to put in a lot of effort to help me get this over the finish line. The game wants to feature great challenge design and many low-impact twists, no great overhauls of the format. If you're interested, please drop me a line.

Thank you
If someone's not the goat, I will be disappointed. Baaaaaaaaaa bitches
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #284 (isolation #7) » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:03 pm

Post by Skelda »

In post 283, Korina wrote:Hypothetical theme idea I've had in the back of my mind that I might try to run at some point:
The entire theme of the game is that it draws from *every* completed Survivor game on MS. All challenges, player names, spectator names, twists, etc., are taken directly from previous games of survivor.

The only major flaw I can see would be the fact that this is publicly known, and all the previous challenges/twists are public knowledge up to that point. It'd be just a lot of work to figure out which challenges and twists would be present, (especially when you consider there are twists from games like Pantheon.)
We had Reverse the Curse which was kind of this. We all played as previous non-winning players and had idols which were items which had been misplayed.

This is a more extreme version though with challenges and twists also being taken

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”