Newbie #633: Barroom Brawl, Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Newbie #633: Barroom Brawl, Game Over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:11 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Newbie 633: Barroom Brawl

Nine people in a bar, two murderers, and a flickering light. You know what to do.

Alive: 4
  • 1.)
    Battousai, Townie

• 7.)
    Macavenger, Townie

• 8.)
    windkirby, Townie

• 9.)
    zoraster, Townie
Dead: 5
  • 6.) joel_l_holden@hotmail.com, Mafia Goon, Lynched D1

• 3.) ClockworkRuse, Doctor, Killed N1

• 5.) Indigo Heron, Townie, Lynched D2

• 4.) Riceballtail (
    rep. Extra Guy
    ), Townie, Killed N2

• 2.) Binesman, Mafia Goon, Lynched D3
Note: Bolded are confirmed.

Last edited by petroleumjelly on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:03 am, edited 15 times in total.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:11 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Set-Up and Randomization

For those new to the game, the current Newbie Game set-up is known as F11. One of the following four set-ups have been chosen at random and implemented in this game. Each set-up was given a 25% chance of being chosen. The four set-ups are as follows:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies
Roles are completely randomized, so that any two players can be scum. If there are any power roles (which are restricted to a single Cop, Doctor, or Mafia Roleblocker), they too are completely randomized, and any player can have either of these roles. There is absolutely no preference given by me whatsoever when choosing either the set-up, or the roles.

That said, here are the five possible roles to be found in this game:

Roles

Exactly two players will be given the role of Mafia (scum). Their PMs are duplicated here:
Mafia Goon PM wrote:You are
Mafia
, and your partner is
[XXXX]
(who is a Mafia [Goon / Roleblocker]). The two of you, for whatever reason, thought it would be a good idea to get yourselves drunk silly, and kill everybody who is not you. You may talk together before the game officially starts by private messages, and during each night – you may
not
, however, talk privately during the day. Each night (which does
not
include pre-game), you may send me one person which you would like to kill. You win when you have eliminated all townspeople and at least one Mafia member is still alive, or if nothing can prevent the same.

Confirm that you have received your role by responding to this PM. If you have any questions, do not be afraid to PM me.
Mafia Roleblocker PM wrote: You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
, and your partner is
[XXXX]
(who is a Mafia Goon). The two of you, for whatever reason, thought it would be a good idea to get yourselves drunk silly, and kill everybody who is not you. You may talk together before the game officially starts by private messages, and during each night – you may
not
, however, talk privately during the day. Each night (which does
not
include pre-game), you may send me one person which you would like to kill. You win when you have eliminated all townspeople and at least one Mafia member is still alive, or if nothing can prevent the same.

Every night, you may Roleblock one player so long as you are alive (and only you may do the roleblocking, not your partner). If that player has a power role, their role will be nullified for that night (i.e. a Cop will receive no result for an investigation, and a Doctor will not succeed in protecting for that night only). The same mafiate may not both kill a player and roleblock a player on the same night.

Confirm that you have received your role by responding to this PM. If you have any questions, do not be afraid to PM me.
Exactly one player,
or
nobody, is the Cop:
Cop Role PM wrote:You are the
Cop
. Each night, you may investigate one player to determine whether or not they are part of the Mafia. Your results are guaranteed to be correct. You may not investigate yourself. You win with the town when all Mafia are dead, and at least one townsperson is still alive.

If you are roleblocked, you will receive "no result".

Exactly one player,
or
nobody, is the Doctor:
Doctor Role PM wrote:You are the
Doctor
. Each night, you may protect one player from a mafia kill – if that player is targeted to die on that same night, they will instead live. You will not be told if your protection is successful. You may not protect yourself. You win with the town when all Mafia are dead, and at least one townsperson is still alive.

If you are roleblocked, your role will fail at successfully protecting whoever you target that same night, leaving your target open for being killed.

Either five, six, or seven players will be Townies:
Townie Role PM wrote:You are a
Townie
. You do not have any night abilities, but luckily enough, you
do
have a say on who is lynched. Use your vote well! You win with the town when all Mafia are dead, and at least one townsperson is still alive.

Last edited by petroleumjelly on Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:14 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Jelly's Rules

Rules On what is Allowable:

[01] This is only a game, and I expect all players to remain somewhat civil (although I understand you are essentially a crazy, lynching mob). I will not accept excessive abuse upon freedom of speech: obscenity, profanity, libel, and fighting words will not be tolerated, and if you push it, the Head Jelly reserves the right to have you replaced. In other words, be respectful to all players, as well as myself.
[02] Do not talk outside of this thread, unless your role PM explicitly says you may do so, and even then, you are restricted to night-time for all out-of-thread conversation.
[03] Do not edit or delete your posts in any way, shape, or form. Once you have posted something, it is there for good, unless I find reason to alter or delete your post myself.
[04] Do not quote your role PMs in any way, shape, or form.
This also applies to night conversations.
You may, however, paraphrase your PM at any time, but if you go too far, the Mod reserves the right to either replace you or to modkill you should the situation warrant.
[05] Do not post in invisible text, excessively small text, or use [ color = black ] tags.
[06] You may request mod-prods, replacements, clarifications, and votecounts from me directly in the thread, but please precede such with a bolded
Mod: So-and-so
so that I will be able to answer you as promptly as possible.
[07] Once I have officially posted that you are dead, then
you are dead
. Do not post any relevant information to the game whatsoever. You are, however, allowed a typical “Bah!” post of some sort.
[08] No talking during twilight. Such posts may be deleted, and you will be subject to either replacement or modkilling.

[09] Do not question my decisions in-thread: if you have a problem with me, take it to Private Messages. You may, of course, post problems you see with my votecounts, but that’s about as far as I’ll allow things.
[10] Do not post in
dark red
. That color is reserved for me. Players who break this rule will receive a warning the first time, and will be replaced or modkilled the second time depending on the situation. However, if it is clear a player is trying to impersonate me, I may well skip the warning.
[11] You are allowed to have fun, and in fact, I heartily encourage it! This is a game! Play hard, play fair, and enjoy yourself.

Technical Rules:

[01] Each day the town must decide on a lynch. Once a majority has been reached on a player, that player will be lynched, regardless of any subsequent unvoting.
[02] To vote for somebody, please use bold tags. For example,
Vote: PJ.

[03] If you wish to unvote, I would appreciate a formal bold
Unvote: PJ
, although this will not be required.
[04] New Deadline Policy: An automatic 3-week deadline will be placed every day. It
can
be extended if a majority of the players wish to do so. I will allow two maximum extensions per day, the extensions being an additional week each.

[05] When a deadline has been placed, I will require only a majority of what would normally be a majority for a lynch (i.e. 7 players needs 4 to lynch, so I would require 3 to lynch in such a scenario). If this number is not reached, day will end in no-lynch, and the game will progress directly into night. If the town is in a Lynch-or-Lose situation, however, there will be no lowered requirements for lynching.
[06] If two or more players are tied for the most votes when a deadline hits, and they have garnered the required amount of votes to be lynched under a deadline, the player who reached that number of votes first shall be lynched.
[07] You may vote no-lynch if you wish. A majority voting for no-lynch will end the day, and the game will progress directly into night. To do this, simply
Vote: No-Lynch.

[08] Nights will last a maximum of 4 real-time days. If you have not sent me a night-choice by that time (should you have one), you will be treated as if you had chosen to target nobody.
[09] If you feel that you may not be able to post in-thread for a period of 48 hours or longer, please say so in-thread and send me a PM as warning. If I find it necessary, I will have you replaced, but I would much rather keep all players who sign up for any of my games.
[10] Any and all of these rules are subject to change at my discretion.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Everybody has confirmed -- game begins! With
alive, it takes
to lynch!

Deadline Tuesday, July 8th at 11:59 pm. For what this entails, please read the rules carefully.
Binesman
Binesman
Townie
Binesman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Post by Binesman »

Lol here we go with the random voting stage (always funny) :P

vote:indigo heron

Bcuz its slanderous to accuse herons of being indigo. :P
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:13 pm

Post by ClockworkRuse »

Random Voting, eh?

Vote: Macavenger
. My friend picked your number out of the list. D=
Macavenger
Macavenger
Goon
Macavenger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Post by Macavenger »

PJ, I'm very disappointed. You're putting us in a bar? I don't drink, and several of these guys are underage - ClockworkRuse is only 17 according to his profile, and windkirby is only 16. This looks like a pretty clear case of supplying alcohol to minors to me. I expect higher moral standards than that from the moderator. :(

Vote: windkirby
because we need to get the underage kids out of here, and safely home to their parents.

On a more serious note, hello everyone, and welcome to MafiaScum for those of you who may be playing your first game here! I'm one of your ICs for this game, along with Battousai and windkirby. IC stands for Inexperience Challenged - a slightly sarcastic way of saying we've been around the site for a while and finished some games here. We're not necessarily great players, but we're familiar with how things are done on this site. If you guys have any questions about the abbreviations that will be getting thrown around, or what we should be doing, or anything else really, feel free to ask us. Have fun and don't worry about things too much - remember that these games are designed for learning!
"By far the towniest player in the game. Very good scum hunting, doesn't let anyone off the hook. All in all I find Mac's posts insightful and thought-provoking. " - Vel-Rahn Koon
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Post by ClockworkRuse »

I suppose I do have a question, are there any major tells you should be looking for in a game like this? Certain things that players might say that seem to scream 'I'm a doctor' or 'I'm Scum'?

Unvote
I want to see if everyone else leans one way or another, plus getting rid of an IC right now wouldn't help us learn the game efficiently.
Macavenger
Macavenger
Goon
Macavenger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Post by Macavenger »

ClockworkRuse wrote:I suppose I do have a question, are there any major tells you should be looking for in a game like this? Certain things that players might say that seem to scream 'I'm a doctor' or 'I'm Scum'?
First, as a townie you shouldn't be looking for doctors or cops (also generically referred to as 'power roles'). You don't really need to know who they are, and the longer they can stay hidden so the mafia can't kill them at night, the better. Unless one of them has 'claimed' (told us what their role is, usually because we were about to lynch them), it's generally best not to talk about power roles at all.

If we do have a doctor, please don't react to either of these posts talking about it.

As for scum tells, well, that's really what the game is all about. There are no firm tells that can be applied to everyone, all the time. Ask 20 players on the site and you'll probably get 20 different answers. Looking for players who do things that hurt the town, or are logically inconsistent, is a good starting point.
ClockworkRuse wrote:
Unvote
I want to see if everyone else leans one way or another, plus getting rid of an IC right now wouldn't help us learn the game efficiently.
You don't need to worry about your random vote that way - we're not going to lynch anyone just based on that.

Also don't get scared of getting rid of the ICs - we have the same chance of being scum as anyone else in the game, and if any of us are you have to lynch us to win. Luckily, since there are 3 ICs, at least one of us has to be town.
"By far the towniest player in the game. Very good scum hunting, doesn't let anyone off the hook. All in all I find Mac's posts insightful and thought-provoking. " - Vel-Rahn Koon
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:46 pm

Post by ClockworkRuse »

Thanks for all of that.

Well, for some of the games I've looked over it looks like the more experienced players seem to have a lot of suspicion placed on them early on the game. Whether it's Scum trying to get rid of a potential enemy or just the Town being afraid I can't really be sure.

And another reason I changed my vote, I'd rather go with my gut feeling then my friend saying a random number.

Vote Extra Guy
Indigo Heron
Indigo Heron
Goon
Indigo Heron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Post by Indigo Heron »

Vote Battousai
because I liked Rurouni Kenshin.
最愛心。。。
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 am

Post by joelholden »

At last the game has finally started, been waiting ages, this my first game.

VOTE: Clockworkruse cause you seem to be inactive and took ages to confirm!

can anyone tell me how to make bold?
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:51 am

Post by joelholden »

Vote ClockworkRuse

ahh we dont use the quick reply :D
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:16 am

Post by Battousai »

bold is b and /b in [] when you use the quick reply, just make sure to hit preview before you send though.

What have I done to make you dislike Rurouni Kenshin Indigo? Typically if you like it you wouldn't try to kill someone who likes it as well :P

Just so you guys know, when I'm IC I basically play like normal. I don't try and make you learn by asking questions, but instead let you learn from practice with slight direction.

2 IC's are enough, so
VOTE:MAC
;)
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:52 am

Post by joelholden »

unvote

sorry ruse you are actually quite active
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 am

Post by joelholden »

vote binesman

he talks like a chav (any british players will nkow what im on about),
and i dotn trust chavs!
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:20 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Day One Vote Count #1

1 Battousai (Indigo Heron)
1 Binesman (joel_l_holden@hotmail.com)
1 Extra Guy (ClockworkRuse)
1 Indigo Heron (Binesman)
1 Macavenger (Battousai)
1 windkirby (Macavenger)

With
alive, it takes
to lynch!

Not voting – 3 – Extra Guy, windkirby, zoraster

Deadline July 8th, 11:59 pm PST.
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:37 am

Post by joelholden »

haha every1 voting totally different people, spose at this stage when we dont know whos who we dont want any1 to go
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:59 am

Post by ClockworkRuse »

Yeah, sorry about being late to confirm for the game everyone. I was pretty much blocked from all internet access for a little while. But now it is all good and I can get down to business.

Can someone tell me how many power roles are in an F11 set-up normally? Is there a limit to one power role per game or can it be up to two?
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:01 am

Post by joelholden »

just wondered what timezone everyone is in im GMT +00:00
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:03 am

Post by joelholden »

Ruse it could be any of these 4, we dont know:

The four set-ups are as follows:

1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies

1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies

2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies

2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:09 am

Post by Battousai »

I don't recall what I set my timezone to, but at time of this post it is 4:09 pm
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 am

Post by ClockworkRuse »

Alright, thanks Joel. That answered my question pretty well.

Right now, it's 4:16 for me. I know I'm in the Eastern Time Zone.
joelholden
joelholden
Townie
joelholden
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:23 am

Post by joelholden »

You mean the american time zone... England is eastern also :p and damn proud of it too!
Extra Guy
Extra Guy
Townie
Extra Guy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:02 am

Post by Extra Guy »

I have no reason to vote for anyone, but I want to move this game along.

vote Battousai

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”