Newbie 845 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Newbie 845 - Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:11 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

Living Players (1)
-
Confirmed players are in bold.

ODDin ^
(replaced Wall_Jon),
Mafia Goon

* = IC player
^ = SE player

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

Dead Players (8)

bill1148
(replaced ernie9274, Pastai),
Mafia Roleblocker
, lynched Day 1
Soylent
Townie
, killed Night 1
hiphop ^
Townie
, lynched Day 2
Sucrose
Townie
, killed Night 2
Sweep
Townie
, lynched Day 3
XScorpion
Townie
, killed Night 3
PHANTOM
Townie
, lynched Day 4
Zorblag *
(replaced Cass),
Townie
, killed in Endgame

ODDin
won the game for the
Mafia
team!!

Game Links

Day 1 Lynch | Day 2 Lynch | Day 3 Lynch | Day 4 Lynch
Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:21 am, edited 16 times in total.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  8. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines.
    Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  2. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    ).
  3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Unvote: Player
    or
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes/Unvotes that are bolded correctly and are unambiguous (with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations) will count.
  6. At deadline, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch. In the case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur.
    There will be no reduced number of votes in LyLo.

7. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; the lynched player may not post during twilight but all other living players may continue to post.
  9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Red
    or
    Purple
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. Votecounts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or on the 4th day of no activity. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  7. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
  9. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:47 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

All confirmations are in and Day 1 is a go!

Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cass
Cass
Mafia Scum
Cass
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:19 am

Post by Cass »

Hello and welcome everyone. I am your friendly IC for this game. I'll try to answer any questions you have about this game or this website.

Now, to break the ice, I have a few questions for all of you:

1) What is your previous xperience with mafia?

2) What attracted you to this game and/or to this website?

3) Do you like the RVS? Why (not)?

4) Do you believe that anyone who lies should be lynched? Why (not)?

5) Which role would you like to be some day? (Make one up if you like :) )
Can't bake an omelette without killing a few people.
Sucrose
Sucrose
Goon
Sucrose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:23 am

Post by Sucrose »

Hello Hello Hello!

Hope nobody gets all us S-names mixed up.

1. This is my very first Mafia game. (not counting middle school card games, heh)
I have read through a game and tried to read up a bit, so I know some of the abbreviations and whatnot.

2. I saw people playing on a different forum of which I am not a member, and saw that they were getting their references on roles and such from here.

3. Apparently I haven't read up enough, because I have no idea what this means. :(

4. Probably, unless they have a really, really good excuse. It's better to lynch someone who's suspicious than it is to just randomly lynch someone, is it not?

5. Hmmmm. Cult Leader sounds fun.
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:43 am

Post by Sweep »

Might answer later, bit tight for time now.
PHANTOM
PHANTOM
Goon
PHANTOM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 am

Post by PHANTOM »

1. This is my second game on this site, but I've played many other times before in real life. My first game on this site is still going on but I got nightkilled.

2. I like this game because I like to play the role of a dectective trying to find the bad guy.

3. Not sure what it means.

4. Depends on what the lie is and what stage the game is at.

5. I think playing a fool/jester role would be pretty fun.
Wall_Jon
Wall_Jon
Townie
Wall_Jon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:50 am

Post by Wall_Jon »

1) What is your previous xperience with mafia?

I played this game once or twice on another forum a long time ago. I went to this forum before but never got involved with a game. After a friend told me about the site, I wanted to play again. :)

2) What attracted you to this game and/or to this website?

Once again, a friend told me about this site and game and I thought it was interesting.

3) Do you like the RVS? Why (not)?

What is RVS?

4) Do you believe that anyone who lies should be lynched? Why (not)?

I don't know. Sometimes as a townie it is confusing what to say or do. All it takes is one thing misinterpreted and you get lynched. So for this reason, I like to give people the chance to explain themselves before I lynch them.

5) Which role would you like to be some day? (Make one up if you like )

As per the wiki article, the paranoid gun owner. That sounds so cool.

Let's have a great game everyone! I'm really looking forward to this!
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Post by hiphop »

vote Cass
because the IC’s always outsmart me.

Fourth game on this site (eighth overall), all three currently happening. Two of them I have been lynched already.

Why I came to this website? Because the first one didn’t have enough games going on at the same time to keep it interesting. I played it the first time at a party around a table.

The Rvs, questions, whatever creates activity, is fine with me. Doesn’t anyone read the first couple of posts? Vrk posted commonly used abbreviations. The definition is listed under that.

All liars should be lynched, unless from a confirmed townie. A townie should not lie. Period. Scum lie, townies do not.

I hoping, that maybe, I can eventually play as a mafia member.

Here is a generalization of what the RVS is. Vote for anyone, giving a nonsense reason as to why you are voting for someone. Everybody should do it at least once.
Sucrose
Sucrose
Goon
Sucrose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Post by Sucrose »

Question: Must votes be in
vote: insertnamehere
format, or will they count without the colon? In other words, are the votes being gathered by hand or by a program?
Wall_Jon
Wall_Jon
Townie
Wall_Jon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Post by Wall_Jon »

Vote: PHANTOM

Because his name is in all caps. :)
Soylent
Soylent
Goon
Soylent
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by Soylent »

Hello everybody!

To answer your questions, Cass:

1. None at all, except maybe a few schoolyard games several years ago.

2. The logic element; catching scum in lies sounds like fun!

3. I was reading another game yesterday (I believe it was Newbie 792) and the IC in that game started off with a round of questions instead of going straight to RVS. I think I like the sound of that more than RVS, 'cause then there's more of a chance to catch scum.

4. Of course. Scum lie, townies don't.

5. Not really sure about the different roles yet. Cop, maybe?
Pastai
Pastai
Townie
Pastai
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by Pastai »

1) I haven't really played much on here (two incomplete games) incomplete because other things came up and I had to be replaced. I have however played about 3 or 4 games of Werewolf on a few different forums (for those who don't know, Werewolf is pretty much the same as Mafia 'cept there's wolves instead of the mafia)

2) I was looking for somewhere to play Werewolf and didn't find much so I searched Mafia and this is what I got.

3) I also do not know what this means.

4) It really depends on the lie and on what other information we have

5) I don't really know, anything that comes my way I guess.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Post by XScorpion »

1) Voted out as Vanilla Townie day 1 because people didn't like my lurker hunting tendencies, that was my only game here and anywhere.
2) I have a friend who plays mafia
3) Indifferent, I guess it's good for starting discussion
4) If it is a complete lie then yes. Townies may make poor decisions and do stupid things, but there is no reason for a townie to lie to the town.
5) Nexus for sure
vote: Pastai
for being slow to confirm.
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Post by Sweep »

1) I have played a couple of other games but this is the first on this site.

2) It seems like a very thoughtful game.

4) People who Lie should be lynched.

5) Serial Killer
Mafia Scum
Cass
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Post by Cass »

As hiphop already explained, RVS stands for Random Voting Stage. It's a local tradition where everyone starts the game off with voting for someone. of course there's no reason yet to vote for anyone, so you just make up anything silly. What XScorpion and Wall_Jon did were perfect examples of this.

So now, here's another way to start discussion:

Vote: hiphop
- because i just lost a hiphop-themed game.

(The reason this could start discussion is the fact that hiphop voted me first, so perhaps this is a revenge vote?? Or 'omgus' as they call it here.)
Can't bake an omelette without killing a few people.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:34 am

Post by XScorpion »

I'm gonna go ahead and say that considering how it's still the first page, it's more likely random than OMGUS. As soon as RVS is over, there's not really a good reason to keep your vote there, and if your vote leads to hiphop being lynched, you'll definitely be on the chopping block next day.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:38 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

For those of you who don't have them, please get an avatar. It makes it much easier to know who wrote the post when a picture is associated with the name.

Sucrose wrote:Question: Must votes be in
vote: insertnamehere
format, or will they count without the colon? In other words, are the votes being gathered by hand or by a program?
This tells me you didn't bother to read my rules, which makes me very, very sad. :(

But to answer your question, I hand count them.
Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PHANTOM
PHANTOM
Goon
PHANTOM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:16 am

Post by PHANTOM »

Vote: Sucrose
for not reading the rules, and plus I'm taking bio and I have sooooo much work to do for that class.
Sucrose
Sucrose
Goon
Sucrose
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:33 am

Post by Sucrose »

Ok, ok, just wanted to be sure.

Vote: Soylent
for being MADE OF PEOPLE!
Wall_Jon
Wall_Jon
Townie
Wall_Jon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:57 am

Post by Wall_Jon »

Unvote: Phantom

Umm,
Vote: Sweep

He said he was busy and was going to come back later to do the responses. His responses are really short so he might be trying to not give much away. And since he did it 'later', he should have had time for more detailed answers.
Soylent
Soylent
Goon
Soylent
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by Soylent »

Huh. I see how RVS works, I guess.

Vote: Wall_Jon
because he's above this post.
Pastai
Pastai
Townie
Pastai
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Post by Pastai »

Vote: hiphop

The only one whose name starts with a lowercase letter.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 pm

Post by hiphop »

BW me already. The game has just begun. :( :lol:
XScorpion wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and say that considering how it's still the first page, it's more likely random than OMGUS. As soon as RVS is over, there's not really a good reason to keep your vote there, and if your vote leads to hiphop being lynched, you'll definitely be on the chopping block next day.
Exactly what he said. I would say it would not start discussion, because it is just random. However, since my post made it two posts on it, I guess it did.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”