Newbie 254: PJ took his time and did it right!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Newbie 254: PJ took his time and did it right!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:55 am

Post by MeMe »

What a nasty little town this has become. Mafia have arrived and are systematically gunning down the nice townfolk. What should decent, smart people do?
MOVE
, of course. What are YOU gonna do? Try to figure out who the bad guys are and lynch 'em during the daylight! I'm not kidding, folks. That's the plan. Deal with it.

Alive (2)

Glork
Townie

petroleumjelly
Townie

Dead (5)

Fletcher
Mafia
- lynched Day 1
MrBuddyLee (replaces Xaph)
Townie
- killed Night 1
Mert (replaces fungusalpha)
Townie
- lynched Day 2
Pastamancer
Cop
- killed Night 3
Drunky McDrinksalot
Mafia
- lynched Day 4

No current deadline

~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of the following four set-ups is used for this game:

a) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 1 doc, 3 townies
b) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 4 townies
c) 2 mafia, 1 doc, 4 townies
d) 2 mafia, 5 townies

Note: in view of the number of players, we will start in the day phase, although most larger games start with a night. The mafia will be allowed to communicate pre-game, though no role will submit choices until Day 1 is over.

Possible roles:

You are the mafia
. You may only talk with each other during the game's "night," not during the "day." You let me know before the night's deadline who will be your victim. You win the game when all the other players are dead.

You are the cop
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and I will let you know whether that player is mafia or not. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are the doctor
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and that player cannot die if attacked by the mafia that night. You cannot heal yourself. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are a townie
. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.
Last edited by MeMe on Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:56 am

Post by MeMe »

The Rules
:
  • Votes must be in
    bold
    . If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
  • Please be attentive and
    unvote
    , if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not
    required
    , but I’d appreciate it.
  • Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may
    vote: no lynch
    – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
  • The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
  • Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts
  • Don’t quote any PMs from me.
  • If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be
    fun
    . Do your part.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:02 am

Post by MeMe »

All confirmations have been received. With seven alive, it'll take four votes to lynch.

Game on!
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:19 am

Post by Drunky McDrinksalot »

Hey all, hope your morning is good and whatnot.

anywho,

Vote: Xaph

Because really, Xaph? Come on now! Your name is too short.
fungusalpha
fungusalpha
Townie
fungusalpha
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:28 am

Post by fungusalpha »

Hey everybody,

vote: pastamancer

Because he has "ma" in his name...like
ma
fia!
Pastamancer
Pastamancer
Townie
Pastamancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:54 am

Post by Pastamancer »

Yeah? Well funGUSalpha has "gus" as in OMGUS [b]Vote: fungusalpha[/b]
Pastamancer
Pastamancer
Townie
Pastamancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:56 am

Post by Pastamancer »

Wow. I'm so newbie I can't even vote properly. Silly "Disable BBCode in this post" box.

Vote: fungusalpha
Xaph
Xaph
Townie
Xaph
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:34 am

Post by Xaph »

Well, Xaph is short for Xaphianion, so your point is moot. Besides, in legnth, it's just as big as Glork. As such,
Drunky McDrinksalot
Xaph ~ The One Man Army

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Fletcher
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Eligible for a Title

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:56 am

Post by Fletcher »

Random Vote: Pastamancer

Who cares if you have a vote already?
[size=75]"But you know what they say. 'Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is... umm... really, really dumb and bad.'"- Strong Bad[/size]
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:13 am

X A P H - four letters
G L O R K - five letters
Your attempt to mislead us won't work... and an OMGUS vote, to boot? interesting...
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:17 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Shoot,
which
scum to vote for?

Vote: Glork

Also, if you have any questions, any one of the IC players [Fletcher, Glork, or myself] should be able to answer them fairly handily, so don't be afraid to ask.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:22 am

Post by MeMe »

Xaph wrote:Well, Xaph is short for Xaphianion, so your point is moot. Besides, in legnth, it's just as big as Glork. As such,
Drunky McDrinksalot
Just pointing out that this doesn't actually count as a vote as it is does not contain the word "vote." If the intent was to vote DM, you'll have to try again.

Your loving moderator,
MeMe
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Post by Glork »

OMGUS Vote: Glork

Wait, that's not right....

Unvote
OMGUS Vote: petroleumjelly

Hurrah!
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:22 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

I just had the most devilish idea.

Unvote, Vote: No Lynch

Any comments from the Newbies on this? I would ask that Glork and Fletcher to hold their peace on the subject for now, since the three of us already know where the conversation will be headed.
fungusalpha
fungusalpha
Townie
fungusalpha
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:44 am

Post by fungusalpha »

I don't see why not lynching would help us. If we don't lynch, the mafia will kill one of our townies, leaving us with 4 pro-town and 2 mafia. If we lynch a townie on day 2, the game is pretty much over.

Of course, if we lynch mafia on day 2 then we will have 3 pro-town and only 1 mafia, giving us another chance on day 3.

However, if we do lynch, and hit mafia, then we'll have 4 pro-town and just 1 mafia on day 2, giving us 2 more chances to kill the remaining member of the mafia.

Even if we lynch a townie on day 1, we'll still be left with 3 pro-town and 2 mafia on day 2, which is no worse then the not lynching scenario.

Therefore, I don't think not lynching is a good idea. (but I think you suggested it just to see what us newbies would say/do)
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:11 am

I see this happening for one of two reasons.

First - You want to generate discussion and get the noobs to share thoughts. This can be useful in that it will help us learn and make us better players, and it also will probably trip up someone who is scum and new.

Second - You are scum yourself and wish to use your experience in the game as a way to get us to not look in your direction once we really begin to question the players. By asking this question you are getting us to question this act (which I think is a poor desision for the town to make) and if we come to the conclusion that it is a bad idea, you can say "good job guys, thats the right answer. Now lets find us some scum..."

As it stands, it is
way
too early for me to be able to pick out scum in this game, but I think that a
fos - petroleumjelly
could be in order.

(feel free to get me to change my mind about that one, as I would much rather the experienced players be on my side than against me...)
Pastamancer
Pastamancer
Townie
Pastamancer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:14 am

Post by Pastamancer »

I actually find this...:
Some drunk person wrote:(feel free to get me to change my mind about that one, as I would much rather the experienced players be on my side than against me...)
...somewhat problematic. Not in a scummy sense, but in a "I don't think this should be happening" sense. IC players are just as capable of being A: Scum, and B: Wrong. When people worry too much about having them them on their sides, both A and B very easily lead to mislynches.

I don't think the IC players should try to distinguish themselves from the rest that much. This leads to a division and creates a different sort of mindset. It becomes more difficult to analyze them when you assume they're all A: Always (or at least more often) correct, and/or B: Always intending to help.

Also, regarding the no lynch proposal... Intuition tells me I would much rather attempt to find scum than to simply end the day with a no lynch.

However, I've tried to work out the worst case scenario in both instances...

Start d1: 5 Town, 2 Scum
No lynch
End d1: 5 Town, 2 Scum
Start n1: 5 Town, 2 Scum
Nightkill
End n1: 4 Town, 2 Scum
Start d2: 4 Town, 2 Scum
Mislynch
End d2: 3 Town, 2 Scum
DOCTOR PROTECT OR LOSE AT END OF D2.

Start d1: 5 Town, 2 Scum
Mislynch
End d1: 4 Town, 2 Scum
Start n1: 4 Town, 2 Scum
Nightkill
End n1: 3 Town, 2 Scum
Start d2: 3 Town, 2 Scum
LYNCH OR LOSE AT BEGINNING OF D2.

Thus, it seems, "Do we want to have a lynch or lose scenario or a doctor protect or lose scenario?" We don't even know if we have a doctor, so the no lynch could put us without a chance. The way the math works out, if we don't lynch, whether or not we win is determined by the actions of fewer people, and contingent upon A: Whether or not there is a doctor, B: Whether or not the doctor is alive, and C: Whether or not the doctor makes the right choice.

If we, on the other hand lynch, then the worst case scenario is Lynch or Lose, which is completely in the town's hands.

In summation:

Try to lynch scum. But you already knew that. So that probably means this post was a waste of time. tl;dr.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:43 pm

Post by Glork »

DMcD - I don't think we can discern PJ's alignment based on this question. It seems as though he asked it to help the Newbies generate some discussion and to get them thinking about what sort of play is best for the town. In many ways, this is helpful to those learning the game, but it doesn't seem to be a direct indicator of whether PJ is town or not. I think that guessing his alignment based on the question he proposed is going to turn into a very fruitless WIFOM debate.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:42 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Yup, just an ice-breaker to make sure this game gets underway (I
really
hate it when games slow down too much, so I try to preempt it before it happens). I wanted to wait for Xaph to answer as well, but I think the subject has been exhuasted. Moral: No-Lynch in a Newbie Game on Day One is not optimal strategy.

The only discussion on the subject that may have been bypassed was the fact that I voted for No-Lynch very early in the game. Had the town actually decided to No-Lynch, not only would it have been bad from a numerical perspective, it would also have been bad from a lack of information (via discussion) perspective.

Also, it should be noted that No-Lynch extends towards deadlines at the end of the day as well. From the discussion we've had, it should be recognized that:

A lynch at the end of the day is much
better
than lynching nobody at all. So if we get a deadline later on, keep that in mind, and vote for who you most want to lynch. And I'll hold you all to that later. :wink:

Unvote: No Lynch
Pastamancer wrote:I don't think the IC players should try to distinguish themselves from the rest that much. This leads to a division and creates a different sort of mindset. It becomes more difficult to analyze them when you assume they're all A: Always (or at least more often) correct, and/or B: Always intending to help.
Fair point. Although I can see detrimental affects of treating (or believing) players differently due to their experience, I also believe it is a natural thing to do. For example, throughout the game, I will likely be more critical towards the other IC players, whereas I seem to psychologically cut newer players some slack.

However, I agree: simply because an IC player
says
something does not mean it is true. If something we say sounds 'wrong', point it out, and it will be discussed.

And... I can't find anything wrong about any of the responses, and since I would rather not replace a vote (since it would still be fairly random), I'll keep my vote to myself with the intent to use later.
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:41 am

Pastamancer wrote:I actually find this...:
Some drunk person wrote:(feel free to get me to change my mind about that one, as I would much rather the experienced players be on my side than against me...)
...somewhat problematic. Not in a scummy sense, but in a "I don't think this should be happening" sense. IC players are just as capable of being A: Scum, and B: Wrong. When people worry too much about having them them on their sides, both A and B very easily lead to mislynches.

I don't think the IC players should try to distinguish themselves from the rest that much. This leads to a division and creates a different sort of mindset. It becomes more difficult to analyze them when you assume they're all A: Always (or at least more often) correct, and/or B: Always intending to help.
Glork wrote:DMcD - I don't think we can discern PJ's alignment based on this question. It seems as though he asked it to help the Newbies generate some discussion and to get them thinking about what sort of play is best for the town. In many ways, this is helpful to those learning the game, but it doesn't seem to be a direct indicator of whether PJ is town or not. I think that guessing his alignment based on the question he proposed is going to turn into a very fruitless WIFOM debate.
Ok, it seems as though what I've said has been greatly misconstrued by one person, and slightly misunderstood by another.

@Pastamancer - I put forth the two oppinions of PJ's play that instantly jumped out at me. One of which is that this might be a tactic to make himself look clean to us. This means that I obviously think that experienced players can be a.)scum and b.)wrong.

My statement at the end of the post does not imply at all that I think experienced players are right,
or
helpful to the rest of us. What it does imply is that I beleive experience makes a player
better
. Lets think for a second about a what if..., shall we? What if PJ and one of the other experienced players were the scum. Having had experience they would have more refined play styles and fewer, if any, tells. It would be very hard for the town full of noobs to pinpoint who is what. Not a good senario for the town... I was saying that I want (hope, pray for) that experience to fight for/with me rather than against me... Being right and helpful have nothing to do with it, for me at least.

And at this point it would be impossible for the experienced players to not be thought of differently, as PJ outed them with his question, and treated them differently by making them not answer. I know that he did this to get the noobs to talk/think about the situation, but that act puts them, however unintended it may be, on a different play level than the rest of us. They don't need to answer, because they
should
already know the right answer and he trusts them to know it.

@Glork - I agree, which is why I didn't vote for him. I do, however think that giving him a free ride about this because of experience would be a bad idea, too. From what I've read so far, most day one acusations are hardly more than random voting, anyway. Of course, most day one's I've seen seem to have the random vote/silly portion go on longer than this before people actually start to have serious conversations about anything, but I don't mind that too much. :wink:

Of course, I do think that we are out of the random voting stage now, so I'll
Unvote
with no revote, as no one yet seems overly scummy to me.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:00 am

Post by Glork »

.....I don't think we're out of the random-voting stage at all.

Unvote PJ, IGMEOY PJ
FoS: Fletch, Pastamancer
Vote: Fungusphla

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:02 am

Post by Glork »

Uh...
Vote: Fungusalpha

Yay misspellings!
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Glork wrote:.....I don't think we're out of the random-voting stage at all.

Unvote PJ, IGMEOY PJ
FoS: Fletch, Pastamancer
Vote: Fungusphla

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Ok, so, other than the vote, which is (hopefully) random, do you have any reasons for any of the other actions? Why the Fingers and the Eye?
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:40 pm

Post by Glork »

Possibly.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Pastamancer