Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1175 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:17 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Also, I agree; a game that claims to be semi-open but really isn't is just bad. The only way we could have won was to find the SK on day 1 or day 2, and we couldn't look for one, because the mod had basically told us there wasn't one.

Basically the only point when the game could have gone differently was day 1; the only chance for the town to win this game was to lynch some kind of scum day 1. Day 2, we were inevitably going to follow a false cop investigation, and day 3, we had already lost.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #1176 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:33 am

Post by Battle Mage »

I could barely bring myself to look at this game as soon as i was told Camn was indeed the SK, because there's nothing worse for Mafia, than losing to an SK. lol
The game was horribly unbalanced, imo. The fact that somebody - Incog? knew the Mod, and others didnt, and outguessing him was so easy, was incredibly frustrating. I'm not ashamed of my play here, and i think CTD played well too. It's not a playstyle i'd use, but if it works, why tinker with it? :P

In fact, the nature of the playerlist was, everyone around at the end, played well. But, town got screwed. We got screwed. Camn WAS screwed, and somehow managed to win. Maybe the game WAS balanced. :P

Hate to be the grinch, but i'm still kinda gutted. :(

BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1177 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:50 am

Post by CrashTextDummie »

Yosarian2 wrote:I should have caught BM earlier then I did.
I take it you don't think you should have caught
me
earlier then? Aw, I'm flattered. :P
Yos2 wrote: Day 2, we were inevitably going to follow a false cop investigation, and day 3, we had already lost.
I don't think it was inevitable. Granted, Haylen was a fairly predictable cop choice, but we had to be damn sure she was town before tailoring her (I was assuming rival scum-team until camn-SK became apparent). Which we were. I was probably even more sure about her than I was about Phoebus and Yos. :P

Also, I forgot to thank BM. Playing scum with him was a blast, and I think we did well together. It's disheartening that we were undone by something we couldn't predict or stop, really.
[i]Mgm laughed nervously, his cheeks flushing in the faintest of blushes. "Patrick... I only wanted to be with you... that's why I put the game to night, so Glork would get killed."[/i] - the heartwarming conclusion of Face to Face Mafia
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1178 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:51 am

Also:
Ether wrote:Crash, I swear I sometimes play competently.
I know. :D

You really bugged me in this game, though. :P
[i]Mgm laughed nervously, his cheeks flushing in the faintest of blushes. "Patrick... I only wanted to be with you... that's why I put the game to night, so Glork would get killed."[/i] - the heartwarming conclusion of Face to Face Mafia
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1179 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:56 am

Post by Ether »

I bugged me, too. X_X

How come you're never on AIM anymore?
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1180 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:12 am

Post by Haylen »

I'm still pissed off at you, Incog. >.>
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #1181 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by Incognito »

Ugh. This game.

I'd like to echo the comments that were made by others: a semi-open game should almost certainly contain ALL of the possible roles that could exist in the game. There was a Nurse, an SK, AND a Framer (instead of a Tailor) in this game when none of those roles were listed as possible role PMs. I understand that this was probably done because of the cr3t1n "persona" but yeah. Otherwise, I thought the set-up was rather interesting; it's funny how my last three mini Normals have either a) had or b) implied having multiple scum groups.

I thought the scum team of CTD and BM played really well; CTD was somewhat lurky but when he did post, he seemed rather insightful and BM just seemed really town-ish to me until the end there.

Congrats to camn -- you obviously played well. :P

I'm fairly happy with the fact that I was able to read Haylen (before Kdub's claim), Yosarian2, randomlunatic (at least early on), and Kdub correctly in this game.

And I have to say that I really, really enjoyed playing with both Rai and Kdub. I usually play with new
er
players in Newbie games rather than Minis, and I never really know what kind of behavior to expect from them. I think the both of you played really really well and seemed to have good heads on your shoulders. You did your 2009 era proud.

-~-~-~

Aaaand, sorta like CTD, this will probably be one of the last games I play for awhile (I have one game that's currently ongoing and then I don't plan on signing up for more until next summer most likely). Thanks for making this a good one.
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1182 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Post by Haylen »

Yeah, i sucked, and I know it. Question though: did my 'craplogic' case become not craplogic when it was proven right? what are your opinions on craplogic now?

My conclusions from this game are: you are all Mastin alts and should therefore lose having been disqualified and I should win by default....and that is how town actually won in cr3t1n's...

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #1183 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Post by Incognito »

Haylen: which case in particular?
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1184 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Post by Haylen »

umm...all of them. My one against CTD in particular, which was illogical but correct.

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1185 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Post by ortolan »

who is cr3t1n?

it's a cool alt
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #1186 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Haylen wrote:umm...all of them. My one against CTD in particular, which was illogical but correct.
Well, if I remember correctly, you spent a pretty big part of the game attacking me and Phoebus.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #1187 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Post by camn »

Haylen wrote:Yeah, i sucked, and I know it. Question though: did my 'craplogic' case become not craplogic when it was proven right? what are your opinions on craplogic now?.
I would like to address this, in a non argumentative way.

A lot of your arguments for ME being scum seemed to be my connection with other people... especially Incog, IIRC.
As I flipped 3rd Party, I clearly HAD no connections with other people.

Thus, although you were correct in me being anti-town.. due to the fact that your arguments were unsound, you had no way to convince anyone of it.. and I was therefore not lynched.
For instance.. you could never convince Incog on those grounds, right? Or anyone else who simply disagrees with
THAT POINT
Furthermore.. I don't even think that THAT was your real reason for thinking I was scum. I think it was gut, plain and simple.

NOW, I am not saying playing by gut is bad... I do it A LOT.. and I think people tend to even believe in some people's gut reads.....
But if you don't admit to it being a gut-read.. and instead setup a "case" that doesn't hold water.. then right or wrong, you will fail.

And being "right" doesn't amount to much if you lose.

SO that is my thought on this so-called "craplogic".
It doesn't work with experienced players.. and in a boy-who-cried-wolf way, can actually make GOOD arguments LESS effective later on in the game.
I think it is better, and more honest, and more pro-town, to admit to gut-reads if you don't have cases with sound logical basis.

ps.. wasn't this your dying scumlist? Since you are claiming 'itoldyouguys!!'
Haylen wrote:ok...
camn - scum
(SK)

Incog - scum
(town)

Kdub - maybe scum
(town)
No mafia there! just little ol' me! And the last 2 townies standing!
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #1188 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:49 am

Post by Incognito »

Post 1184, Haylen wrote:umm...all of them. My one against CTD in particular, which was illogical but correct.
Well, if you're referring to your extra long post, you made cases against practically everyone in the game at one time. You can't call the whole game "scum" and then claim that you were correct all along and should have been listened to -- obviously by accusing everyone of being scum you're going to be right about a small subset of people but wrong about a much larger subset of people.

Re: Your case against CTD - I think your "case" against CTD basically amounted to what you thought to be an abnormal level of tunnel-vision that you wouldn't expect to come from town; your thinking was probably: "he has been attacking me since he first entered the game, I know I'm town, he doesn't seem to be making an effort to figure out my alignment and only seems to want to get me lynched, therefore he must be scum", but you didn't phrase it in that way.

Would I consider this "crap logic"? No, I don't think I would, and I think it's actually a fairly legitimate frame of thinking, but I think you need to work on your delivery. Keep in mind that it's very difficult to convince other people that you're correct when
a)
a large majority of the people either think you're scum or have lingering suspicions of you being scum and
b)
you're accusing everyone of being scum, which makes it really difficult to take your accusations seriously since everything you say begins to look very self-preservationist and unrealistic.
CrashTextDummie
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
CrashTextDummie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1189 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:08 am

Psh, Haylen's case against me was obviously bogus since I was an absolute saint in this game. >_>
cr3t1n
cr3t1n
Goon
cr3t1n
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1190 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Post by cr3t1n »

Yosarian, Phoebus, randomlunatic, Haylen, Green Crayons and Ether received the following role pms:
Vanilla Towny role PM wrote:u r a vaniller towny
u win wen all the scum r ded including traiters
Kdub received the following role pm:
Cop role PM wrote:u r a cop
u can try 2 find out if sum1 is mafier or not by asking me each nite
Rai received the following role pm:
Nurse role PM wrote:u r a nurse
u becum a docter wen a docter dyes
wen u r a docter can try 2 protect sum1 from dying by telling me hoo u want 2 protect each nite but u cant protect urself
Incognito received the following role pm:
Miller role PM wrote:u r a miller
wen a cop targetts u i will tell the cop that u r mafier lol
CrashTextDummy received the following role pm:
Exelent Mafier Framer role PM wrote:u r a exelent mafier framer with Battle Mage
the exlenent mafier can talk 2 each other n try 2 kill sum1 each nite
u can also frame sum1 each nite n if a cop targetts them that nite i will tell the cop that they r mafier
u win wen only exelent mafier r alive
Battle Mage received the following role pm:
Exelent Mafier Godfather role PM wrote:u r a exelent mafier godfather with Idiotking
the exlenent mafier can talk 2 each other n try 2 kill sum1 each nite
u cant dye at nite
u win wen only exelent mafier r alive
camn received the following role pm:
Serial Killer role PM wrote:u r a serial killer
u can try 2 kill 1 person each nite
u cant dye at nite
u win wen only u r alive n ever1 else is ded
im exelent at mafier
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #1191 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:52 pm

Post by camn »

I am really an honest person! really!
cr3t1n wrote:
camn wrote:Hey.

Am I allowed to NOT use my night choice?

thanks.
oops i 4got 2 say

u hav 2 try n kill sum1 evry nite
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
cr3t1n
cr3t1n
Goon
cr3t1n
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1192 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Post by cr3t1n »

No more cr3t1n-speak.

Firstly, congratulations to camn!
Many thanks to the replacements and Ether for her help there.
To anyone who felt hard done by the setup, I'm sorry. I am very disappointed by that.
I'm glad most of you seemed to have enjoyed playing the game regardless.
I appreciate the effort everyone put into the game!

I feel too insecure to argue either way about the setup's balance. But I can at least say what the idea of including roles outside the OP list was. I thought it provided the SK an advantage they might otherwise lack in an open setup as well as doing something slightly left-field and interesting with a "normal" setup. I realised that having that unlisted role alone was probably overcompensating, so I included extra roles in each of the other factions that I hoped would clue them into the fact that there would be extra roles in the setup.

Ether commented after she died that the town was underpowered and could have done with some Masons or something. That might have been better than the nurse (and the Miller (=/)) in that it wouldn't hint at a (non-existent) doc AND it would mean two town players instead of one that knew roles outside the list existed.

I feel I should explain that cr3t1n is someone from another website that I thought would make an amusing member on ms. So, the original isn't me, I just borrowed him.
im exelent at mafier
cr3t1n
cr3t1n
Goon
cr3t1n
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1193 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Post by cr3t1n »

Lol. Yep, camn was telling the truth... that time.
im exelent at mafier
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #1194 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by camn »

I actually had a whole strategy planned with me withholding my kills.. I even fake-breadcrumbed Miller just in case I got a guilty verdict on me.....I wanted to just get to the end and drop the unanticipated nightkill on somebody....:(
But I can't complain. Killing GC was fitting.

re:balance..
I think it just swung hard.
No crosskills, no scumlynch, a successful frame, no guilty verdicts.....Kdub's role was worse than useless, given his bad luck in choices....plus, I forgot that both town and scum had a CLUE that there could be unlisted roles.......so that part seems fair to me!
So.. I'm no balance-pro, but I think it was swingy, and could have easy swung town. A scumlynch/kill and a real guilty verdict ANY TIME would have been helpful.

But i am just happy to win!

Yay!
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #1195 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 am

Post by Incognito »

One thing I *am* pretty happy about that came from this game was that I played the Miller role in a somewhat "unconventional" way by not claiming Miller during Day 1 or in my first post as is normally suggested and still managed to be believed by the majority of the town when I
did
actually claim. I laughed pretty hard when I opened my role though -- Yosarian2 was Miller in vollkan's Mafia in Ludd game and I gave him a bit of a hard time for claiming during Day 1, so I felt hard-pressed to play this game without resorting to claiming early. :D
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #1196 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:51 am

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”