Newbie 1916: Epic Music [Game Over!]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 174, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 166, u r a person 2 wrote:@TL have you read ?
Just in case you missed this
thanks, yeah my accidental waffling on reads was almost fatal
time will end
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

Mate, I don't think you're really trying to evaluate this game. You agreed with me about Roomy, didn't give any supporting reasons, and don't seem to realize that the entire basis of my read had been seriously called into question just posts earlier.

Is there a thought process you can share to help explain why this comes from town?

Spoiler: quotes spoiled for space
In post 149, u r a person 2 wrote: On the other hand, it's townie that you read town play articles at all (mastina's?). Especially considering as scum you could have benefited more from reading teacher's article on scum play and could have used it to push paranoia at his slot.
In post 153, u r a person 2 wrote:@roomy actually, your play is pretty darn good if coming from first time scum in their first forum game

have you read previous games on this forum or any of the scum play articles?
In post 156, roomy wrote:like you pointed out, I read a lot of mastin articles too. some of them were more directly focused on scum play, but I feel like her writings are mostly on topics that apply to both alignments abstractly; the interactivity tell article I talked about earlier is a good example. they're tools for town and things to watch for in your own play as scum.
In post 157, u r a person 2 wrote:I think it's probably fair to give roomy a town read at this point. There is no scum play article by teacher. I'm having a hard time believing scum!roomy doesn't go looking for it

and im having a hard time believing scum!roomy doesn't say anything about not being able to find it given two opportunities.

could be a false positive but like.... it's probably not

one exception would be if roomy and teacher are both scum together, but given my town read on teacher, seems pretty unlikely.

@roomy are you town reading Lich? Or just not ready for the day to be over?
In post 159, roomy wrote:tbh @person I thought you were just referencing the big list of "how to play well" articles teacher posted in his IC intro, which have plenty of good scumplay articles, but anyways.
In post 165, TemporalLich wrote:I'm inclined to believe person is town despite the instant vote against me.

His entrance shows initiative and he analyzes everyone.
In post 157, u r a person 2 wrote:I think it's probably fair to give roomy a town read at this point. There is no scum play article by teacher. I'm having a hard time believing scum!roomy doesn't go looking for it

and im having a hard time believing scum!roomy doesn't say anything about not being able to find it given two opportunities.

could be a false positive but like.... it's probably not

one exception would be if roomy and teacher are both scum together, but given my town read on teacher, seems pretty unlikely.

@roomy are you town reading Lich? Or just not ready for the day to be over?
I'm inclined to believe you, and yeah scum roomy and teacher is not likely.

Teacher almost hits the "probably town" zone of being townie.
103-11 0-2
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 176, u r a person 2 wrote:Mate, I don't think you're really trying to evaluate this game. You agreed with me about Roomy, didn't give any supporting reasons, and don't seem to realize that the entire basis of my read had been seriously called into question just posts earlier.

Is there a thought process you can share to help explain why this comes from town?
I've been mostly trusting my instinct to be honest. If I die today, then I probably shouldn't play Mafia ever again.

Roomy also seems instinctual, and I just don't see anything that would suggest roomy to be mendacious (which is fatal, btw)
time will end
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Post by roomy »

@person if your townread on me was entirely based on your gambit (?) I'd argue that it shouldn't have existed in the first place. I'm not exactly convinced by your arguments towards Lich; I think that he could be "inclined to believe" your statement that "it's probably fair to give roomy a town read at this point" without needing to take your thoughts on me into account. and if you're just figuring out now that he's skimming...
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

In post 178, roomy wrote:@person if your townread on me was entirely based on your gambit (?) I'd argue that it shouldn't have existed in the first place. I'm not exactly convinced by your arguments towards Lich; I think that he could be "inclined to believe" your statement that "it's probably fair to give roomy a town read at this point" without needing to take your thoughts on me into account. and if you're just figuring out now that he's skimming...
Considering you asked me for a read on you earlier and I gave you one, I think it should probably be pretty clear to you that I was talking about the post he was quoting and agreeing with.
103-11 0-2
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Post by Emperor flippyNips »

In post 173, TemporalLich wrote:

I'm leaning toward a Skellen/CatStar scumteam
Is this a gut feeling or do you have something to back it?
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Vote Count 1.7
TemporalLich (3): Skellen, u r a person 2, Emperor flippyNips
[L-2]
CatStar (2): Birdy, TemporalLich [L-3]
Birdy (1): CatStar
Emperor flippyNips (1): roomy

Not Voting (2): Clemency, teacher

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2019-02-18 11:05:00)

Spoiler: Vote Change Tracker/Vote Links Day 1
teacher -> Clemency, TemporalLich,
Unvote

CatStar -> Birdy
u r a person 2 -> CatStar, TemporalLich
roomy -> u r a person 2,
Unvote
, TemporalLich,
Unvote
, Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips -> Skellen,
Unvote
, TemporalLich
TemporalLich -> roomy,
Unvote
, CatStar
Skellen -> CatStar,
Unvote
, TemporalLich
Birdy -> CatStar

Spoiler: Wagon Change Tracker Day 1
TemporalLich (3+0):
roomy
teacher
, Skellen, u r a person 2, Emperor flippyNips
CatStar (2):
u r a person 2
Skellen
, Birdy, TemporalLich
Birdy (1): CatStar
Emperor flippyNips (0+1): roomy
Skellen (1-1):
Emperor flippyNips

roomy (0):
TemporalLich

u r a person 2 (0):
roomy

Clemency (0):
teacher

Note: Birdy is prodded. They have 24 hours till (expired on 2019-02-14 16:00:00) to respond to this prod.

Last edited by Frozen Angel on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Post by roomy »

I’m sure I’m missing something but I’m not quite sure how what you said relates to what I said, person?
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

I was referring to the entire read as laid out in the post he quoted, is what I was trying to convey. not my entire read as in my entire understanding of your slot
103-11 0-2
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Post by roomy »

gotcha, thanks. makes sense
CatStar
CatStar
Townie
CatStar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Post by CatStar »

TL... I'm irritated. At this point their play is anti town, regardless of alignment. Just not sure if playstyle or alignment indicative. Happy with their lynch today if noone else starts sticking out, but plenty of time left so not voting yet to avoid quick day end.

@skellen: I don't have any strong scum leans. I got it I think 100% wrong in my last game, and decided someone was scummy on day 1… then saw everything they did through that filter. So now trying town hunting instead!

Liking urap entrance, feels strong and townie.

Flippynips.... Can't call town. Looking to see how they engage in next couple of days which will firm it up either way.

Birdy... See what happens. Bit funny they voted me to 'pressure activity' and disappeared.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I think I might discard my reads and start over.
time will end
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 am

Post by teacher »

can we pause the countdown til we get a replacement?
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:43 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Replacing Birdy who failed to pick up their prod.

In post 187, teacher wrote:
can we pause the countdown til we get a replacement?
If at the time I replaced someone in less than 2 days were remaining, I'll add 24 hours.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 am

Post by roomy »

on mobile, but I’d like to get some others’ impressions of Nips. I don’t understand his “everyone is playing to their meta” response to my pointing out that he was playing to his self-described scum meta. ??? I don’t think that’s a very solid tell in itself, but his weird shrugging off and then asking a softball question towards Lich after I had called him out for it is just so scummy to me. plus, he’s had plenty of time to “go through the thread,” it’s 7 pages without many walls. His ISO is pretty much entirely him avoiding pressure and giving nothing back in return.
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:01 am

Post by roomy »

the not very solid tell in itself was meant to refer to Nips describing his scum play and then playing in that exact fashion, for clarity
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 am

I was pretty brain dead yesterday. I’m not as spacey today so let’s do it

@roomy basically I was trying to say that if you were scum you’re currently doing your meta the whole point is to blend & hunt as if you’re town. So maybe it comes off scummy me coming in a late & dropping my vote on lich its whatever he’s scummy & either way isn’t helping the game progress. I’m trying to progress the game so yeah I’m starting to ask questions. I was super lazy last night so I didn’t go thru the thread I just read the current page & stayed caught up.
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 am

So I’m getting townie vibes from skellen everything they’ve said strikes me as town
I have a town lean on teacher, roomy & Person
I’m null on catstar Clem & birdy I need more from the birdy slot which is getting replaced so soon.
Clem in our last game I auto read as town and kinda get the same vibe but we’ll see how the game progresses
& have a scum lean on lich due to him constantly changing his reads, it seems like he’s trying to throw out his read in every direction trying to see what sticks with people which doesn’t seem to be working. I do think there is a small chance that he could be ubernoob town but at this point it’s just seems to me that he’s scum.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 am

Post by TemporalLich »

I'm not sure what to do at this point...

If I don't make it to D2 there's no hope for me
time will end
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

if you're town, you need to start reading the game and trying to figure out who town is and who scum is.

if you're scum, well, carry on =)
103-11 0-2
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am

In post 193, TemporalLich wrote:I'm not sure what to do at this point...

If I don't make it to D2 there's no hope for me
Multiple people have told you how you can change & play better as town if you are.
I suggest doing what they said. There’s enough stuff here for you to be able to read through and have more than just gut reads, you need to be able to show what you’re feeling at least partly
In post 194, u r a person 2 wrote:if you're town, you need to start reading the game and trying to figure out who town is and who scum is.

if you're scum, well, carry on =)
:up: but yeah carry on
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:44 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

Huh, suddenly my entire world is denim and lint.

Flippy, are you wearing jeans right now, mate?
103-11 0-2
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

@flippy can you go further in your clem read? or your skellen read?
103-11 0-2
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:53 am

Post by TemporalLich »

I totally missed "posts" in my own self meta. So here's a hasty and careless PbP. Nobody likes being careful in this game, so this is most likely gold.
In post 65, roomy wrote:UNVOTE: Lewis
VOTE: TemporalLich

wanted to get this in before bed — weird comment above, after going so far as to unvote me because he “didn’t want to be on a town’s wagon” — note the language there, it’s assured (re: my comment earlier about scum knowing alignment) — I don’t think that’s a straight up scumslip but that earlier level of confidence combined with the above waffly post is sketchy enough for a vote for me.

Lich, what changed about your reads on skellen and I? what about Clem gives you a town read?
I'm giving roomy town points for this, that analysis was almost perfect. The comment about the RVS unvote is good. Though, I wouldn't want to vote roomy regardless if roomy is towny.

teacher also has town points for excellent grilling skills tempered with wisdom.
In post 111, Skellen wrote:I am indecisive if chaotic neutral or chaotic evil with this one. His posts after #72 didn't looked better.
Leaning scum here since this is probably a convenient trap used to smear me. Not sure what D&D alignment has to do with the game, so to be safe I'm calling it scummy.
In post 136, u r a person 2 wrote:Good start so far. I like where this game is going
Right now I've got town reads on skellen, teacher, and catstar. The first two are pretty obv!town and I liked catstar's thought processes in

clem I want to town read. he agrees with me on skellen, good. Paranoia about teacher is pretty meh tho. Teacher feels to me like the type of player one should just allow to be obv!town until he's eloquently pushing a bad argument. I haven't read any of his scum games, but his play is too effortful to replicate as scum without making some ill-considered arguments along the way. I agree with teacher that with time clem will be easier to read by play more than by tone/early content

not town:
emp - not much here yet. good note by teacher on his comment that scum tries too hard. Entrance post is bad, too
birdy - another possibly scum indicative entrance post. I didn't like his . I'm also town reading skellen, but his reasons feels fabricated. It's page three. I don't know why town would make the conclusion that *any* slot is unpushable? is a little better even if i disagree

and i do

lich's slot is the scummiest slot in this game.

VOTE: lich L-1

Btw guys, I had a great game with loopdan just finish - newbie 1915. I think he's /in'd for nsg's mini theme game as well if ya'll are interested in a redux
Nice entry! Instinct and analysis are the perfect town combo.

Skellen tries to defend her vote in saying the question wasn't even a question and continuing to push the idea I'm scum. Scum probable now. No buddies as of now.

CatStar is lean NAI.

If I haven't said anything about you here, you're neutral.
time will end
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:21 am

Post by u r a person 2 »

Could you talk more about how Skellen might have been trying to trap you?

this is a p townie post
103-11 0-2

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”