schadd walrus 2: feast of the invisible cats (join biancospino walrus!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:23 pm

Post by tris »

i am afriad to post this link.

https://youtu.be/jU-MbImdL7o

im emberassed. why did you make me do this isis.
here's what it says
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:31 pm

Post by Skygazer »

as a "good handwriting" voter the "bad handwriting" voters disgust me
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:38 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

i voted yes, who voted no :[
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:43 pm

Post by Skygazer »

that light switch cover is so cute tho
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:45 pm

Post by tris »

it was probably my cat. she somehow had like 100 votes
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:48 pm

Post by tris »

In post 178, Skygazer wrote: that light switch cover is so cute tho
this room used to be my sister's, and i got that for her. but i think it fits me better now. lol
here's what it says
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:49 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

ur so modest, u so can play violin
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:53 pm

Post by tris »

that's true. i played the violin on an electric keyboard earlier today.
here's what it says
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:54 pm

Post by Skygazer »

i paused to wander off and play piano and unpaused to hear the wandering off to play the piano part which was trippy
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:00 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 150, schadd_ wrote: decided to push the next reveal to the weekend after next because i will be going to pitchfork next weekend. And also yall sent some long ones.
the cat 4 reveal will be on saturday the 29th at 9pm central US time. (expired on 2023-07-29 22:00:00)
should have mentioned this sooner but this is tomorrow!!!!
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:40 pm

Post by wgeurts »

4am in the morning, seems reasonable I may join
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:14 am

Post by Skygazer »

Spoiler: emotions i associate with my entry
- disgust
- chill
- whimsy
- yeahhhhh
- foreboding
- wait did jpegmafia sample this? no? ok
- sense of arrival
- haircut
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:13 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

i could use some more of that last emotion in my life
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:39 pm

Post by schadd_ »

i seem to be revealing cat 4 in 20 minutes! (that's the multi-emotional one)
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:49 pm

Post by tris »

all the other cats can only feel one or fewer emotions at a time.
here's what it says
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:50 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

emeowtion
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:27 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Hey tris!

I loved the video!

I really likes the awkward "awkword" bit! Also, that blue splatter looked so surprised at the size of its nose! XD

Ooooooh! I see what was meant by "light switch cover". I thought you sang a cover of light switch! Which by the way, I would be down for. But also it's super cute! Did you paint it yourself? The kitty looks so real and pettable! <3

Oh, when you let your phone fall, that was too good XD

You were so many cats! Also, thank you for having so many interesting visual textures in this video! My eyes appreciated how they felt :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:00 am

Post by schadd_ »

cat 4 (multiemotional)
Spoiler: one: fireisredsir

enjoyment: 6.3 (4.7/5)
catfit: 3.0
unfamiliarity: 1.0
submitter guess: aisa
submitter: FIRE IS RED SIR!!!!
medals / ICs: paired vocalists :women_with_bunny_ears_partying: +0.5, chills :sparkles: +1.1, transition (into time in a bottle) :construction_site: +0.2, grand slam :billed_cap: +0.5, 1st place :small_orange_diamond: +2.0

10.3 + 4.3

the thing about this song is that it's less than 2 minutes long and it's like couched in a bunch of other great entries bc of where it was in the playlist. and so it wasn't until like 6:50 pm today that i really focused on it and was like "yeah i guess this is just a grand slam."

so this is like about the knowingly futile attempts at placating an abusive partner. in that way it is actively cognitively dissonant, often determined or in a sense hopeful in the words it uses, while there is a horror and sadness directly baked in at the same time. something that really draws out this dissonance is the vocal harmony which sounds like it's on a quarter-tone interval, as well as the fact that the singers have a vocal timbre that, like, disagree with each other at moments.

and yet another orthogonal thing which is evoked by the vocal harmony, is the fact that there is this co-operation between musicians to depict the content of the song, as in, there's ultimately someone else that's willing to accept and affirm the narrator's reading of events. it initially struck me as kind of odd to have a pair of vocalists represent this but i think it works very very well.

i kinda wanted to have this at 2.9 because it's ultimately and undeniably a sad song, but there's just such a chillingly large amount of stuff that juts right out of it in that 2 minute runtime.

kind of awkward to pin this song on anyone in particular but the subject matter is at least something in common with fiona apple's music
Spoiler: two: tris

enjoyment: 6.4 (4.7/5)
catfit: 2.5
submitter guess: hellbooks
submitter: tris... ok so both of you . . . ok
medals / ICs: 2nd place :zap: +1.5

9.9 + 1.5

here's the other f
icus
by s
arahsherman
. i have less to say about this one but i like it more and i guess its gonna get 2nd place or something. Deal with it!!!!

this one really gets into the feeling of mild but troubling disagreements between two voices (generally the left and right hand i guess). it's as if the bass is typically supporting the melody except for the times it's just not quite sure, and it deviates or wavers slightly. and vice versa, it is as if they trade off being confident and worried. i slightly struggle with why i would parse this as "multi-emotional", but the more i thought about it the more i just realized how much i like it. it's like those moments someone asks someone to do something and they just do something slightly different.

aw man that part in the fugue section where the left hand states the melody with like a big distracting tritone (i think). its like "no! this is how you do it! agh!"

hellbooks is another known shostakovich liker (at least i think i know it. i'm not gonna do anything to confirm this). this one feels like very slightly jazzy at times, in a way i would also pin to her.
Spoiler: three: PJ

enjoyment: 6.1 (4.5+/5)
catfit: 2.7
unfamiliarity: 0.8
submitter guess: infiny 3.2.4
submitter: PJ.
medals / ICs: 3rd place :eye_in_speech_bubble: +1.2

9.6 + 1.2

saba!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i specifically had the thought with his album last year that there's that chicago hip hop style of production that crams like twelve different emotions into the beat.

i've had the thought with the song shark smile that a song that ends on a harsh negative note will sort of instill the rest of the song with that feeling as you listen to it subsequently. lines like "i gave her the croissant or corsage or whatever the fuck" are fun and inhabit a certain moment of careless desire of the past, and they get pricked by the facts of the future.

it also helps that there's just a lot of different stuff happening in the song, and also individual lines that either directly provoke a mixed feeling ("my granddad gave me a condom and walked away didn't say nothing") or reveal information in a tense and gradual way, e.g. getting cornered at the party or like basically all the shit that happens in the last few minutes.

tragically theres no invisible cat for the chicago mention. um, it is surely not to this song's detriment that i'm kinda picturing all the stuff happening in chicago

Spoiler: tied four: deathrowkitty

catfit: 2.5
submitter guess: deathrowkitty
submitter: sorry girlie -0.1
medals / ICs: not on spotify :mute: +0.1, tied 4th :nazar: +0.4

9.5+0.5

of the two f
ugue
s by s
hostakovich
, this is the one that gets more of its multiemotional kicks from the fugue form. well i guess that's because the submitter seems to have had me skip the prelude part. alright, on with the fuguing. this is like if the fjögur piano submitter had me skip the piano and just get right to the fjögur. anyway.

a feeling that i got from this pretty quickly is that there is some proper and courtly melody being devised, and over the course of the song there's countermelodies that problematize it, like the king's advisers offering warnings or the peasants are rumbling. there's that motif that's like "f f c f... e f blah blah whatever" and sometimes the countermelody inserts itself in such a way that the motif seems to be "f f c f d" as if to be like "ehm... well there's this problem". at least i think that's what is happening in the fugue language that i very vaguely know

towards the end there's a ramping up in intensity as well as a mounting feeling of disorder, sort of akin to a revolution in my analogy although it doesn't really feel like that exactly. unless i'm paying attention to it closely that part can get muddled as just like "manic piano" even though i like it.

there's the fact that dmitri himself played this, who is like a person that i had to google to find out was alive during like most of the 20th century. the fact gives it a little bit of that "haunted recording" feeling, but in a kind of pleasant way.

i have a faint recollection of the DRK submission having a timestamp like this. i would pretty naturally assign one of the fugues to her and there's that very mild thing that makes me wanna put this one.
Spoiler: tied four: hellbooks

catfit: 2.4
submitter guess: MUSHSHAGANA
submitter: hellbooks lol hi you were maybe my third guess
medals / ICs: not on spotify :mute: +0.1, MUSHSHAGANA award :flag_black: +0.5, tied 4th :nazar: +0.4

9.5 + 1.0

lol yup

maybe the one problem here is the way that my mind has gradually synthesized what i would call "noise music emotion" which is an emotion i get when i listen to noise music. and also maybe the fact that it sort of settles into a pattern for the last ehm 70 seconds. but the vocal samples do a good job of knocking it into a certain direction, and well there is quite simply a lot of stuff in it.

when i first saw the band name "gimme chevys" i was like "danny danny danny danny danny danny danny" and honestly the content could in some universe pass as stinkycheesedan but i was promised an obvious mushshagana song and i believe this may be it. i guess i'm also not sure if gimme chevys is the name of the band
Spoiler: six: isis

catfit: 2.2
submitter guess: PJ
submitter: ISIS!!!!!!
medals / ICs: honest songwriting :anchor: +0.2, wan cat :leaves: +0.4

9.3 + 0.6

there's the first minute or so of lyrical content that's like listing all this person's faults and evident negative traits, and then the next minute or so sort of recontextualizes it and makes it retroactively unclear whether they were meant as a criticism or as, like, an ode, or even as like a defense of this epic woman. and it sort of keeps flipping between attitudes as to whether the relationship is going to work out, in a way to make you go like "aww... wh- oop- aww"

"honest songwriting" is seeming like just the thing i give to pop punk songs. there's a lot of fun with words especially in ways that facilitate that quick turnaround (turnaround, turnaround) of emotional purpose. lookin at stuff like "a traitor, i'd trade her in a second".

"wan" is this great word for describing a certain kind of attitude/singing style in a lot of country folky stuff (like iris dement from the examples and also neil young) that resembles, like, a persona that keeps coming back to a mild sorrow. i'd draw a parallel to the dripping emo vocals in this as well as the slightly colorful guitar chord that the song centers on. i hope that this is in fact PJ so that he gets some invisible cat come uppance.

narrowly don't think this works for tony hawk and part of that is because it's like too much about this woman

Spoiler: tied seven: wguerts

enjoyment: 5.8 (4.4/5)
submitter guess: wogurt
submitter: srry -0.1
medals / ICs:

sometimes with this 'dream pop' millieu it feels like they duck away from any particular emotion at all in service of the medium - beach house kinda feels like that when i listen to them. but this song stays kind of concrete (and also has impressively discernable lyrics!), and it harnesses that feeling of straining against the big tidal wave of sound. i'd say it centers on that feeling of mental strain and sluggishness, but the refrain "do you feel guilty" helps a lot for the cat: it adds a tinge of spite, but it's also just generally rich in emotional content. the big and meaty downward melodic motion has the sound of genuine interest as well as a kind of spiteful self-satisfaction, and also just other stuff that i can't really put a name to.

accidentally re-noticed a wogurts post where they said they liked this song. sorry gurts i wont look at it again.

Spoiler: tied seven: infinity 324

enjoyment: 5.9 (4.4+/5)
catfit: 2.1
unfamiliarity: 0.9
submitter guess: tris
submitter: infiny!!!
medals / ICs:

there's a mild throughline of hot, dreary despondence that goes through this, especially via that slow and thick guitar. and the harp doesnt really add anything. but the singing wanders around enough to challenge any single emotional interpretation pretty harshly. of course when she goes eagle mode in the chorus there's just some deep hindbrain response that it provokes. its kinda like she's joan of arc summoning me to battle but only for like 1.5 seconds at a time. let's just get physical don't wanna die.

This Is Tris Sound.

Spoiler: nine: skygazer

catfit: 2.1
submitter guess: cheetory6
submitter: skygazer..... yeahh.....
medals / ICs:

the operant pairing of emotions is "confident" and "confused". and at times "gooshy squishy" or sometimes "really goopy sopping wet squish". parts of the sound are all like, "we are going this way." and then 12 other things are like "huh? what? lol"

the first time i heard that line "now i know how it fits", when i was paying pretty close attention to the song, i somehow heard "i know outfits". and then i listened to it a second time kinda barely paying attention and i was like "ohhh.... why did i think it was outfits". now i know it's "how it fits". but i like having that interpretation on file. it's like this one girl that's confident and content in her knowledge about outfits while the building she's in is like squelching and warbling and melting. all the while matmos are trying to do their thing where they dissolve away at the meaning of a phrase by having a bunch of different people repeat it but they shrivel at the power of this one girl that knows outfits and/or how it fits. and so on.

watch this be the entry that gets dropped to produce keely's final score that puts him in 3rd place again

Spoiler: tied ten: chickadee

unfamiliarity: 0.8
submitter guess: chickadee
submitter: FINALLY -0.1
medals / ICs:

this is the first of three piano songs to be revealed. this song isn't pure piano - there is in fact some fjögur in this song, more so as the song draws to a close. and i actually think the fjögur is of mixed effectiveness. the strength of this song for the cat mostly comes from the fact that there's this iterative progression that sounds a relatively confident and comfortable motion, like a stroll through a town. and there's little flecks of other things that float along with it, doubt, extra bits of glee, and just other orthogonal thoughts. i think this is particularly strong once there starts to be segments of notes that are meaningfully separate from the chord progression. and that weakens once there's the big bass that emphasizes it, compared to the other synths that that are just a little distractingly muddled. on the other hand i like the squeaking strings, especially at the end when they seem like they're sitting down to ruminate at the end of a walk.

i almost wanna say this is too subtle to be a chickadee entry. sorry that is a little bit catty. anyway i am just gonna guess her again anyway.
Spoiler: tied ten: pink ball

catfit: 2.0
submitter guess: pink ball
submitter: ok i got one -0.1 lol sorry
medals / ICs: transition (from happy hour) :construction_site: +0.2

8.7 + 0.2

the language in this is pretty. the guitar & melody alternate between a sort of anxious minor key rumination, and then a galavanting downward motion in a major key, which seem to be in inverse to the content of the lyrics; that contented major key segment goes with the line "but there never seems to be enough time to do the things you wanna do" (although it reveals where the contentedness lies in the next line).

i would vaguely expect that somebody from south america would like the guitar, as well as this guy's mustache. although i wanted to say

Spoiler: twelve: invisibility

enjoyment: 5.7 (4.3+/5)
catfit: 1.8
submitter guess: skygazer
submitter: invibility!!!
medals / ICs:

the singer has this classic lou reedy voice that i would say is like exploited in a fun way. it's sort of like i expect a shallower affect from him and then he bounces around and stretches his voice pretty thin and stuff.

one mild difficulty here is in placing the instrumentation as any particular emotion a lot of the time. it kinda reminds me of a pinball machine.

this sorta suffers from late-in-the-playlist syndrome LOL that's kinda just gonna be a thing with 24 people. but this is good. skygazer guess completely tossed out there for nearly no reason, somehow i didn't find anywhere else to put them.

Spoiler: thirteen: aisa

catfit: 2.0
unfamiliarity: 0.6
submitter guess: channel delly bird
submitter: aisa...
medals / ICs:

clairo generally has a bit of an air of mystery. she has the scent of an industry plant although apparently she released like 70 EPs as claire cottrill in the mid 2010s.

in this song she as well as the listener are trying to figure out what her deal is. in the pre-chorus starting with "shut up", each line is like a new attempt at parsing her state of mind about this person. the statements in the chorus have this melodic motion that makes them feel begrudgingly admitted, like the fact that she wants to get closer to you isn't particularly helpful. and the general scantness of the sound and the autotune of her voice ask you to do a lot of the interpretation.

it's sort of funny at the end how the production track lingers on for like 30 extra seconds - they feel like this bespoke assembly of mellow dance synth and a simple trap drum machine that are supposed to last only as long as they're needed for the song, but then they hang out on their own for a while.

clairo is someone i could pretty easily imagine coming from mali. and i dont mean like oumou sangaré

Spoiler: tied fourteen: cheetory6

enjoyment: 5.5 (4.2+/5)
catfit: 2.4
unfamiliarity: 0.3
submitter guess: aristophanes
submitter: CHEETORY6???? CHEETORY6???? do i have that right...?
medals / ICs:

if you made a list of the things of all time that make you say "there's a lot to unpack here" this song would be in like the top 8. in case you don't know anglosphere pop culture, the singer died of alcohol poisoning about 5 years after the song was released, although she did go to rehab at some point. it definitely just brings up a bunch of complicated feelings about spectacle and the way we consume celebrity life. i imagine most people feel at least a little bit guilty and/or evil for liking this song.

producer mike ronson:
> And she was like, "He tried to make me go to rehab and I was like, 'Pfft, no no no.'" And the first thing I was like, "ding ding ding ding ding." Like, I mean I'm supposed to be like, "How was that for you?" and all I'm like is, "We've got to go back to the studio."

slightly didn't know how to find an aristophanes song without taylor swift being like "i was happy but i was also sad" but this looks like a reasonable bet.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3az ... 1_500.gifv
https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3az ... 2_500.gifv

Spoiler: tied fourteen: aristophanes

enjoyment: 5.5 (4.2+/5)
catfit: 2.3
unfamiliarity: 0.4
submitter guess: fireisredsir
submitter: aristophanes!!!!!! cool!!!!!
medals / ICs:

hilariously i have listened to this guy before (in fact he is linked in my top 110 post for the song *death with dignity*. i liked his singing & guitar in that one a little bit more), although i am not sure if i listened to this song. additionally, i've heard the death cab for cutie song a bunch of times. i would cite it as a song that did a lot to convince me about the value of, like, lyrics, when i was a high schooler that almost never listened to anything other than mellow and instrumental electronic music.

for a song that is very clearly about a certain thing, and generally pretty unambiguous and specific in its wording, it's impressive how open to emotional interpretation it is. i guess it depends on how you feel about dying with someone, and broadly accepting the feelings of aging and wearing down. obviously it's thought provoking to hear a 70-something guy sing it contentedly like this.

Spoiler: sixteen: mushshagana

catfit: 1.2
submitter guess: biancospino
submitter: MSHA!!!!! DANG!!!!!!!
medals / ICs: mushshagana medal royalties +0.1

8.0+0.1

there's this thing i associate with song contest which is like, metal music that alternates with some other kinda genre mood thing. it's a sort of music i don't encounter on my own very often. i wanna call it "alternative metal". (*reads the existing genre label of like deftones and system of a down and whatever*) O.K. Well whatever. the sections transition very cleanly in a way that makes the key moods of each one spill into the other - the only problem is that those moods don't feel very different even though they are stylistically different. it's sort of like this urgent and despondent, uhh, metallic thing.

the hard and synthy metal + the soft breakcore + the band name + the 2023 release make me wanna say mushshagana. but it's needed elsewhere. i'll go with the person that sent alternative metal in cat 5.

Spoiler: seventeen: toolenduso

enjoyment: 5.6 (4.3/5)
catfit: 1.3
submitter guess: danny?
submitter: tool lol
medals / ICs:

there's a little bit of stink here. i guess the lyrics sort of feel like they just fit into the prog .. hardcore .. post ... core .. situation this is. like it's about war i guess. Ohhh Ohhhhh woOooahh, isn't war so bad..... but then like at the end its like they forgot what they were talking about and start thinking about this chick for like a minute and a half. this is all to say, there's all sorts of swirling, emotive and specific choices that are made in the composition of the song but it kind of gets muddled together by the stench. but it's a fun song.

i think this is danny because of the energy and like the epic cowgirl coda. hilariously this & the alexisonfire song were right at the beginning and both are in a similar genre sort of situation and are gonna end up next to each other in the scores

Spoiler: eighteen: chevre

enjoyment: 5.4 (4.2/5)
catfit: 1.5
submitter guess: invisibility
submitter: chevy ahhh......
medals / ICs: suburbs :bridge_at_night: +0.1

7.8 + 0.1

i guess the song is about like somebody that hoped the rapture was gonna happen on y2k or something. there's a simple kind of thing for this cat which is a singer's substance which is kind of contrary to the mood of the music, and that's present here, in the kind of bummer, open-ended lyrics acting contrary to the fun and jumpy instrumental. i guess that doesn't do all that much for me, although what does work well is the fact that the idea of "y2k... you let me down" on its own gives a lot of interpretations. i would say that nostalgia doesn't count as an emotion unfortunately because that classic early-internet era cuica thing rly reminds me of the intro to this game "arcade and puzzle games" we had on the computer growing up.

i sort of wanna say this is invisibility even though i guess he's like a post millenium baby. like there's the surface level fact of being disappointed by y2k, as someone who grew up hearing about it and then learning that nothing happened and a bunch of people just kinda had to work overtime to correct the overflow errors and stuff. ok wow i found out like just at the end that this is from the hypnospace outlaw soundtrack. i played a little bit of that game and then dropped it.

Spoiler: nineteen: t3

enjoyment: 5.6 (4.3/5)
catfit: 1.1
submitter guess: tool?
submitter: t3!
medals / ICs:

drumming is great. you'd do great by submitting this to the drum cat although i have faith that whoever submitted this has more good drumming up their sleeves. basically all of the catfit points come from the two alternating vocalists, who swing between the kind of idly lamentative guy talking about the cityyy haunted by ghowosts and stuff, vs the manic growl vocalist who says things like juggernaut. at least i assume it's two vocalists but it could just be like alex before and after he isonfire. i also like that the vocalists make it sort of code switch btwn a hard rock / light metal thing and a harder metal thing. in that way it's interesting that there's a kind of narrow but still clear difference in the emotion, but it's not a particularly brilliant multiemotionality i guess.

Spoiler: twenty: ceejayvinoya

enjoyment: 5.3 (4.1+/5)
catfit: 1.6
unfamiliarity: 0.4
submitter guess: chevre
submitter: CEEJAYVINOYA LOL switched away from you at the last second
medals / ICs:

the mood here is somewhat straightforwardly something upbeat and encouraging, but because i like this as a submission i'll spot you the fact that this comes kinda out of nowhere in the middle of the mellow and emotionally ambiguous waterfall area in the game. at least i'm pretty sure.

not 100% sure i remember him liking this soundtrack but i keep coming back to chevre as the submitter just because of the vibe of it. this song is undertale's beware the friendly giant
Spoiler: twenty-one: stinkycheesedan

catfit: 0.3
submitter guess: ceejayvinoya
submitter: stinkycheesedan
medals / ICs:

i like her singing a lot. but i can't find any way to translate the lyrics (there's one site that seems to have them but they're unselectable) and otherwise idk how to get multi emotions from this. its somber and sometimes loudly somber. there's one moment i go like :O!!!!! when she says "yuri" at the 1:00 mark although idk if that's the word and also yuri seems to be more commonly the word for a lily.

Spoiler: twenty-two: channeldelibird

enjoyment: 4.9 (3.9+/5)
catfit: 0.8
submitter guess: majiffy?
submitter: channeldelibird
medals / ICs:

the vocalist slightly doesn't work for me, and it's a bit of a blow to the catfit that the song stays pretty stagnant for a long time. like i'm fighting a war of attrition to try to pick out distinct aspects of it. the most effective part is when he's like shouting "it's only a reflection" into the fog at around 4:50, as well as the couple of key changes.

Spoiler: twenty-three: biancospino

enjoyment: 4.6 (3.8/5)
catfit: 1.0
submitter guess: isis????? idk
submitter: biancospino
medals / ICs:

i unfortunately dont really like that elecrtified acoustic guitar sound that the first half-ish of the song uses. most of the catfit point comes from the litany of lines that make me go "huh! woah". such as "i don't know why i am alive" around the middle. and there's just a bunch of stuff going on.

Spoiler: twenty-four: majiffy

enjoyment: 4.1 (3.5+/5)
catfit: 0.7
submitter guess: T3
submitter: majiffy
medals / ICs: not on spotify :mute: +0.1

5.8 + 0.1

danny elfman is this person that i've occasionally seen evangelized on tumblr but i haven't bothered to listen to him. Um, as far as i remember. anyway this song doesn't do it for me a whole lot. the song seems to interpolate the beatles kind of a lot, and the lyrics don't really communicate anything interesting or have a particularly strong throughline to me which means i just think of my dad playing music for me in the car when i was a kid. which is kind of just one emotion. there's a lot of stuff in the song though. not enough for 9 minutes but still

another thing that really did not help this song is that in the random order i made to listen to the songs, this was followed by like 8 of the best ones LOL

Spoiler: listening order

Last edited by schadd_ on Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:02 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 140, MUSHSHAGANA wrote: I figured I might scoot by uncaught with clipping., but the chances you'll miss me for the rest are zero. Nil. Impossible.
i seem to have unfortunately done the impossible in spite of precisely laying out the reasons i should have guessed your song. hopefully you would be happy enough with my substitute guess (hellbooks' entry)
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:04 am

Post by schadd_ »

trying to put emojis in my libre office calc spreadsheet turns out to be a minefield and its possible that gets discontinued. hilariously it really wants PJ's shelf of emojis to be completely blank. sometimes i have to randomly bold or unbold some of them to make them render (especially the mute one). also when i open the spreadsheet it collapses all of fire's medals into one big pile and i actually wanted that to be in the screenshot but that one fixes itself before i can do anything
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:14 am

Post by schadd_ »

TWO INVISIBLE CATS HAVE CHOSEN TO REVEAL THEMSELVES THIS DAY!
wan cat
: 0.4 pts / 0.1 pt / 0.1 pt / 0.2 pts
:arrow_right_hook: for music that embodies a certain kind of continually sorrowful state of mind, reminiscent of certain classics in country/folk, especially via vocal or sometimes instrumental timbre.
suburbs
:
0.1 pt
/ 0.1 pt / 0.1 pt / 0.1 pt / 0.1 pt / 0.0 pts / 0.1 pt
:arrow_right_hook: Image
i tried to think of how this could be a regular cat & it didn't really work.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:23 am

Post by schadd_ »

i'll have cat 6 (forgiveness) reveal on saturday at 2pm central time: (expired on 2023-08-05 15:00:00).

in something like 24 hours i will stop accepting changes to your submission so if you want to do that you should do it today. its just that i worry about something in my spreadsheet getting inaccurate or whatever as time goes on
free darius mccollum

MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:47 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

I'm not mad, schadd_, I'm just disappointed.

Anyway there are at least five emotions I hear, which get mixed into each other to varying degrees after being introduced alone. Rage out of the gate, sorrowful defiance when the melodic leads come in, a sort of loving-regret when Iris's vocals are in, then an ancient nostalgia during the MIDI soundfont portion, and all of it together in a sort of claustrophobic, wandering isolation. I recognize a couple other different shades, too.
199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:15 am

Post by schadd_ »

i'm disappointed in myself too
free darius mccollum

Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:02 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

A bit of context for my submission, if you weren't aware of the story behind the song: Jim wrote that song when his wife told him she was pregnant, back on 1970, and was released on 1972 in his debut album "You Don't Mess Around With Jim". A year later, Jim died in a plane crash, eight days before his son's 2nd birthday.

Jim was going to stop touring and stop doing music so he wouldn't be forced to be away too much time from his family. He wrote a letter to his wife saying so, a letter that she received five days after the accident.

The lyrics of this song... I've always felt like he wrote them after dying. "But there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them", it's like he knew what was going to happen. It kills me every time I hear it.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”