Albert B. Rampage (1) <-~ q21
AceMarksman (1) <-~ ekiM
ekiM (1) <-~ AceMarksman
Nuwen (1) <-~ hp [leaves]

Not voting (1) <-~ Albert B. Rampage

With 9 alive, 5 will do it.

[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Post by ekiM »

What is an absolute scum tell? What is a universal scum tell?

I think the vast majority of scum tells are useless in RVS. Random votes are like white noise. You can detect a pattern if you try hard enough, but it's not actually telling you anything useful. I'm much happier once the game proper has started.

Nuwen: Is there a reason you asked a theoretical question which is seemingly removed from relevance to the current game (absolute/universal)? Would there be value in discussing theory relating to the set-up?

springlullaby: What do you make of players who lament the lack of activity in a game without actually adding anything new themselves?

Unvote; Vote: Albert B. Rampage
for being the last one to post.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:42 am

Post by springlullaby »

ekiM wrote: springlullaby: What do you make of players who lament the lack of activity in a game without actually adding anything new themselves?
I would think that it's pretty scummy. Do mean to imply that I am such?
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:48 am

Post by ekiM »

springlullaby wrote:What, 40+ pageview since last I checked in and only 2 meek random votes?

What are you lurkers afraid of?
Not particularly indicative, it just sounded a little off to me.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:18 am

Post by springlullaby »

ekiM wrote:
springlullaby wrote:What, 40+ pageview since last I checked in and only 2 meek random votes?

What are you lurkers afraid of?
Not particularly indicative, it just sounded a little off to me.
It was a post to exhort people to participate. Why do you think it was off?
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:40 am

Post by ekiM »

It seems like providing something to respond to would get better responses than exhortation alone. For example, a theoretical question.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:59 am

Post by Claus »

ekiM - are you proposing that Spring is scum?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:14 am

Post by ekiM »

No. I don't find it scummy to say "Come on guys, contribute!", but I do think it unlikely to be effective at sparking useful discussion, and that other approaches may be more productive.
hp [leaves]
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:35 am

Post by hp [leaves] »

Nuwen wrote:Interesting, we've had three consecutive instances of OMGUS:
AceMarksman wrote:Since my usual RVS fodder isn't here,
vote: ekiM
. OMGUS.
hp [leaves] wrote:
Unvote, Vote Nuwen
Lawrencelot wrote:Lawrancelot is not even in this game.

Vote: hp [leaves]
for purposely confusing the town.
At least one of these votes comes from a town player, so I'd like to pose the following questions to the above voters:

1. Do you believe in any absolute
and
universal scum tells?
2. Do any of the above tells, if existent, carry less or more weight during RVS?

Consider the act of OMGUS voting. The term is commonly used to dispel gravity that a counter-vote has when two voters happen to be making cases against each other. However, we have three instances of pure OMGUS in a very straight line. Genuine OMGUS, I believe, is a very strong tell when it's used in the following situations: 1) Excuse to place a premeditated vote 2) Primary reason for building a counter-case ("He's voting for me because he's scum").
1. no
2. no weight
We must embrace the pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:35 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Vote ekiM
because he's Mikek's alt.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 am

Post by Nuwen »

ekiM wrote:What is an absolute scum tell? What is a universal scum tell?

I think the vast majority of scum tells are useless in RVS. Random votes are like white noise. You can detect a pattern if you try hard enough, but it's not actually telling you anything useful. I'm much happier once the game proper has started.

Nuwen: Is there a reason you asked a theoretical question which is seemingly removed from relevance to the current game (absolute/universal)? Would there be value in discussing theory relating to the set-up?

springlullaby: What do you make of players who lament the lack of activity in a game without actually adding anything new themselves?

Unvote; Vote: Albert B. Rampage
for being the last one to post.
An absolute tell and a universal tell and precisely what that sound like - an absolute tell is an action with zero town motivation (self-hammering is commonly cited). A universal tell can be applied across any meta and is not dampened by circumstance.

Do you now understand the relevance of asking players who committed a universal & absolute tell ("lolol joke omgus is ok in rvs guyz")?
I find this statement kinda naive. How and why do you think the transition from RVS to "proper play" occurs? Votes have a motivation
(or a patent lack thereof)
right out of the gate. A pattern will develop. Do you believe that pattern analysis seeks only to contrive links where there are none?
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
AceMarksman
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 am

Post by AceMarksman »

I believe that I really don't know what direction you're trying to take with this, Newen. What point are you trying to make? Do you think the three of us who made the OMGUS votes are scum?
Show
"either he's scum and yay 1 less scum, or he's town and yay 1 less zwetschenwasser. " ~Moratorium
Words to live by.

My record: W/L/T/A
Overall:5/2/0/1
Town:5/2/0/1
Scum:0/0/0/0
3rd Party:0/0/0/0
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 am

Post by Nuwen »

AceMarksman wrote:I believe that I really don't know what direction you're trying to take with this, Newen. What point are you trying to make? Do you think the
three
of us who made the OMGUS votes are scum?
Incognito wrote:
Two
(
)
people will receive the following role:
Mafia wrote:
Nuwen wrote:At least one of these votes comes from a town player,
Obviously not.

I get to see who is reading, who is skimming, who applies what theory and where (and can get an idea of any inconsistencies in application), who is looking for an opportunistic direction to push the game. I'm not making a point because I have none to make; I'm gleaning information and setting my groundwork for scumhunting. Why aren't all of you doing the same?
AceMarksman
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 am

Post by AceMarksman »

newen wrote:I'm gleaning information and setting my groundwork for scumhunting. Why aren't all of you doing the same?
And how are you to say that we aren't doing the same? I'm asking you of your intentions, am I not? Are you to say that is not scum hunting?
Show
"either he's scum and yay 1 less scum, or he's town and yay 1 less zwetschenwasser. " ~Moratorium
Words to live by.

ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:17 am

Post by ekiM »

Nuwen wrote:An absolute tell and a universal tell and precisely what that sound like - an absolute tell is an action with zero town motivation (self-hammering is commonly cited). A universal tell can be applied across any meta and is not dampened by circumstance.
I guess I asked because it wasn't, in fact, clear to me what those terms meant. Thanks for explaining.
Nuwen wrote:Do you now understand the relevance of asking players who committed a universal & absolute tell ("lolol joke omgus is ok in rvs guyz")?
I can see the relevance, but I'm not sure I understand why it is an absolute & universal tell. I can see there is no particular reason for a townie to do such a thing, but if it really is a universal & absolute tell then there is no reason for scum to do it either, as it will draw suspicion. And I definitely don't see why it is universal---why can't there exist players who never do it as scum, but will do it as town?

Why did you not also ask the players if they agree that a joke RVS OMGUS vote is an absolute & universal tell?
Nuwen wrote:
ekiM wrote:I think the vast majority of scum tells are useless in RVS. Random votes are like white noise. You can detect a pattern if you try hard enough, but it's not actually telling you anything useful. I'm much happier once the game proper has started.
I find this statement kinda naive. How and why do you think the transition from RVS to "proper play" occurs? Votes have a motivation
(or a patent lack thereof)
right out of the gate. A pattern will develop. Do you believe that pattern analysis seeks only to contrive links where there are none?
It may well be naive; I am new to the game of Mafia. I don't know how or why a series of arbitrary votes should actually lead to useful leads. I don't think attempted pattern analysis is pure contrivance, but in the white-noise of an RVS, I'm not convinced it's actually that likely to lead to credible leads. It does spark discussion, but I've yet to see evidence that these first scum tells gleaned from RVS are more accurate than random chance.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Post by q21 »

springlullaby wrote:
Nuwen wrote:
springlullaby wrote:Nuwen, your 17 comes off as weird. What do you mean by it?
I'd much rather gather everyone's ideas on theory than entertain the usual RVS rigmarole.

Weird?
Well, trying to push through the RSV is not, but the way you are doing it is, kinda, and I've got a couple of remarks. But you know what, I'll let you do your thing first. And comment afterwards.
Make remarks now... the theory discussion is getting us nowhere. if you have insightful remarks on the game they would be much more useful than deciding what is or isn't a universal/absolute scumtell.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:58 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Nuwen wrote:
Lawrencelot wrote: Those 3 examples aren't really omgus because a) it's the random voting stage
Do you believe RVS relieves culpability from all actions, or just OMGUS?
As long as nothing weird happens (only random votes), it relieves culpability from all actions, but not totally. Random votes can still mean something, I think they usually just mean too little to provide any results, because it's, you know, random.

And btw, my vote was not OMGUS, I voted hp because he spelled my name wrong.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Post by springlullaby »

q21 wrote:
springlullaby wrote:
Nuwen wrote:
springlullaby wrote:Nuwen, your 17 comes off as weird. What do you mean by it?
I'd much rather gather everyone's ideas on theory than entertain the usual RVS rigmarole.

Weird?
Well, trying to push through the RSV is not, but the way you are doing it is, kinda, and I've got a couple of remarks. But you know what, I'll let you do your thing first. And comment afterwards.
Make remarks now... the theory discussion is getting us nowhere. if you have insightful remarks on the game they would be much more useful than deciding what is or isn't a universal/absolute scumtell.
No. I want to observe this.

Btw, you are earning an automatic FOS for using ellipses, no kidding.

Fixed a quote tag. - Incog-Mod.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:40 am

Post by q21 »

You might as well vote for me now... cause I use ellipses all the time. I'm sorry. It just happens.

...also, I see little to no point in the theory discussion.

nuwen is scum for going on about a topic that has no real benefit to the town. springlullaby is her buddy for spurring her on.

Discuss.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:28 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

What does 'using ellipses' mean?

And discussing theory is always better than staying in the RVS q21, I'd call anyone who opposes it scum sooner than anyone who uses it, unless it distracts anyone from scumhunting, which won't really happen in the RVS.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
AceMarksman
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:45 am

Post by AceMarksman »

law wrote:What does 'using ellipses' mean?
An ellipse is three dots like: ...
Show
Words to live by.

q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:07 am

Post by q21 »

Lawrencelot wrote:What does 'using ellipses' mean?

And discussing theory is always better than staying in the RVS q21, I'd call anyone who opposes it scum sooner than anyone who uses it, unless it distracts anyone from scumhunting, which won't really happen in the RVS.
Really - discussing theory is always better that RVS? The game staying in RVS would, eventually, achieve a lynch. It would be a bad lynch, most likely, but it would be a lynch. Theory discussion, on the other hand will eventually achieve... nothing.

unvote, vote nuwen.

Less theory, more scumhunting, please.

AceMarksman
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
AceMarksman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:11 am

Post by AceMarksman »

I'm not liking q21's most recent posts. I think Newen's theory discussion was a way to move us out of the RVS.
Show
Words to live by.

q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 am

Post by q21 »

AceMarksman wrote:I'm not liking q21's most recent posts. I think Newen's theory discussion was a way to move us out of the RVS.
Yes. Out of RVS and into another equally, if not more, useless stage.

Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 am

Post by Nuwen »

q21 wrote: Yes. Out of RVS and into another equally, if not more, useless stage.
That's twice you've called microscopic meta useless.

Do you use meta considerations, both player-specific and site-wide, when playing mafia? Or do you treat each game autonomously?

Yes, this information is useful. The more information a player reveals, the easier it is to spot conflicting data. Determining a baseline for behavior is the most important part of the early game to me. If context is the most important part of mafia, then meta is a vital tool.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”