New Newbie Setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:49 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

it IS possible i'm trying to change too little. but just the sheer townsidedness of the setup as a whole is hurting scum morale and making scum perform worse.
when you don't think you can win b/c the setup as a whole is townsided, it makes you lose in setups that aren't necessarily all that townsided.

so i think it's better to err towards running setups that are at balance levels comparable to the ones that were 50/50 in m6 days + scum daytalk and move further from there if necessary
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 am

i also remember the scum daytalk in newbies experiment where scum won an ungodly number of games in a row. scum are now losing in those same setups with daytalk.
when the mentality is that scum are crushing with daytalk, scum tend to crush with daytalk.
when the mentality is that town are bowling over scumteams, scumteams tend to get bowled over.

streakiness of this sort happens. i also don't think that towns are playing
better
as much as scum are playing
worse
. maybe that'll change when scum believe they have a fighting chance.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 am

Post by OkaPoka »

Make all the goons backups
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:41 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 276, RadiantCowbells wrote:i also don't think that towns are playing better as much as scum are playing worse.
It might be worth looking at SE scum skill over time to see if it has any relevance to this
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:48 am

it's not a newbie queue specific problem
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am

Post by chennisden »

People get townread for being competent because of scum's decline I think
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:51 am

Post by chennisden »

In post 272, PenguinPower wrote:
In post 271, chennisden wrote:Goon/Goon Cop and Jailkeeper are problematic though - especially Jailkeeper.
Why? Both were reasonable in Matrix6.
Goon/Goon JK requires what 1 locktownread to win
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 am

Post by chennisden »

Uh at D2 or D3 or something I forget the details

Oh and it also requires a scumflip hmm

I'm thinking of that game where everyone spammed the thread to 200 pages
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

We need a mafia mentorship queue
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:10 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 279, RadiantCowbells wrote:it's not a newbie queue specific problem
I agree, I'm more asking whether it's affecting the newbie queue via SEs or another cause
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 am

Post by popsofctown »

I think I'd be pretty happy if I saw post 266 implemented into the queue like immediately.
C2 would be my least favorite cell because jailkeepers can accomplish an awful lot sometimes, but it's probably fine and even to the extent it's not fine, having 1 particular cell that presents some sturdy town power could be very valuable for data collection.
I think it looks really really good.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:00 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 285, popsofctown wrote:I think I'd be pretty happy if I saw post 266 implemented into the queue like immediately.
C2 would be my least favorite cell because jailkeepers can accomplish an awful lot sometimes, but it's probably fine and even to the extent it's not fine, having 1 particular cell that presents some sturdy town power could be very valuable for data collection.
I think it looks really really good.
I second this.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:01 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Giving a chance for a bit more feedback, but I am of the same opinion.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Want to confirm RC wants to call it NewD3 as well.
<(") | (")>
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:13 am

Post by popsofctown »

NewD3 doesn't sound like a great name to me. Every most recent D3 is a "new D3".
I'd suggest "D3-2019", "Friendly D3"(seems unlikely the subsequent D3 will have an equal or greater number of Masons and Friendly Neighbors), "RCD3" (not great because I bet he might design multiple popular D3s), or "D3 3.0" where 3.0 is corrected to however many D3's the newbie queue has actually gone through.
It's not a hill I want to die on or anything, most important thing is to just name it something. Just .02.
"Well, I..."
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:16 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I dislike most of the setups that have been suggested in here. I don't dislike #.

FWIW, it may be clearest just to list the nine possible setups and pick one at random; there shouldn't have to be a need to write everything in the form of a matrix. Nine isn't all that many setups (and I much prefer it if people name setups via their power role combinations rather than "A3" or "C2" or the like, the latter's not very useful if you don't have its meaning memorised).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 am

Post by popsofctown »

I think the benefit to a matrix is that if a scum PR flips confirms which column you're in you can quickly see what your three possible setups are.

However, the rows have no meaning whatsoever, if you swap A1 and A3 it's the same setup.

So maybe three lists of three?

I have kind of shared your sentiment about the matrix presentation in the past.
Sometimes I'm like "wait is this chess".
I don't have the data on what the newbie impression of seeing a matrix is but I speculate it's unhelpful.
"Well, I..."
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:48 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 266, RadiantCowbells wrote:
NewD3Column AColumn BColumn C
Mafia
Goon / Roleblocker
Goon / Role Cop
Goon/Goon
Row 1Cop / DoctorTracker / Friendly NeighbourCop
Row 2Jailkeeper / TrackerJailkeeper / Friendly NeighbourJailkeeper
Row 3Mason / MasonTracker / DoctorMason / Mason
A1:A3 of the current setups. About 77% win rate. However, Doctor in this setup is suspicious(until a the RB dies), so it might perform differently here.
A2:Roleblocker instead of Rolecop might indeed make this slightly townsided, but still ok. But there is a tracker claim strategy...
A3:Well, Masons can be tried, but don't wonder if they don't achieve much and the setup is scumsided. It's something that simply needs to be tried.
B1:IC/Tracker vs Rolecop - I am sceptic. We have a false guilty with the FN(although it can be definitely proven as town unless CC) and Tracker itself is less powerful than a Cop. On the other hand, the data we have shows that we might have underestimated the power of a tracker in 9p as all Tracker setups are highly townsided. Worth trying it out.
B2:Jailkeeper is very powerful if it can't be roleblocked. And the FN will probably make use of it. There is a bit negative synergy due to roleblocking... but Jailkeeper without Roleblocker is significantly more powerful so it wouldn't surprise me if this would be a bit more townsided than it should.
B3:T/D was a bit too poweful against two goons and this helps mafia to find the doctor for Night 2 faster. Might be ok. But there is a tracker claim strategy...
C1: Cop alone has been a bit on the low side, but barely. Cop creates an easy fakeclaim - Doctor, with a roleblocker present.... Might be borderline ok since there are less fakeclaimable roles and the prevalence of this setup is higher.
C2:Tracker can't be fakeclaimed in time, often, because there is a claim strategy. FN fakeclaim is... dangerous, very dangerous. This will be very townsided(especially considering the prior high town win rate).
C3: Not many differences to A3

Claim strategy:
Tracker claims D2; unless a Doctor/Jailkeeper/Mafia Roleblocker died or claimed.
Why?
In B3 there is a doctor. Tracker is protected. If they have been caught by the rolecop then ... thats better than them not claiming anyways.
In A2 they can confirm themselves by claiming early; it would be very risky for mafia to claim tracker in C2 before they know who their enemy is so they can be trusted if there is a Jailkeeper. In contrast, if they don't claim in time(before JK claims) there is little reason to trust this claim. Unless, of course, they have an actual guilty.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:49 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 289, popsofctown wrote:RCD3" (not great because I bet he might design multiple popular D3s), o
R2D3
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:00 am

Post by popsofctown »

I don't think that claim strategy is optimal. You're making the rolecop's job easier, which is especially meaningful when the Rolecop is hunting for the Friendly Neighbor. I think it's close but not quite optimal.

I think if these tracker setups are too strong anything but mountainous is going to be too strong. Tracker gives the mafia a lot of agency that allows them to counterplay the role if they've been effective in the dayplay by having the deepwolf perform the kill or tossing the obvscum away if there's been effective distancing. If mafia aligned players' play can't improve to the point where they can deal with trackers they're just not going to be able to deal with anything.
"Well, I..."
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:06 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 294, popsofctown wrote:I don't think that claim strategy is optimal. You're making the rolecop's job easier, which is especially meaningful when the Rolecop is hunting for the Friendly Neighbor. I think it's close but not quite optimal.

I think if these tracker setups are too strong anything but mountainous is going to be too strong. Tracker gives the mafia a lot of agency that allows them to counterplay the role if they've been effective in the dayplay by having the deepwolf perform the kill or tossing the obvscum away if there's been effective distancing. If mafia aligned players' play can't improve to the point where they can deal with trackers they're just not going to be able to deal with anything.
You are right, the Friendly Neighbour should claim first Day 2(Unless the other PR died, of course), and if there is no FN, THEN a tracker claims.
There is little reason for the FN not to claim Day 2; they might have been rolecopped or FN'ed scum. And that means that the other PR might survive longer.
I don't know why you think I said that tracker setups are OP by itself, I have not.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:10 am

Post by popsofctown »

Wasn't sure
"Well, I..."
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Tracker claim strategies don't exist in individual setups they exist in the entire game.

It is overall suboptimal for tracker to claim in a way it isn't in 2d3, therefore it's not likely to happen.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm also curious why you think it's optimal for friendly neighbors to claim D2. They're the least lynchable role and narrowing it down to a 50/50 whether the tracker claim is a good idea isn't really worth outing them?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Also you'll note that an unfinished kill in the last column guarantees to scum that there's a jailkeeper and in doing so gives them carte blanche to make multiple safe fakeclaims, something they don't have right now.

B2 is a sketchy setup for itself but it existing is super good for the setup at large completely kills the impetus for town to try to tracker claim to prevent this and shouldn't be too out of order balance wise.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”