Dierfire
Dierfire
Mafia Scum
Dierfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am

Post by Dierfire »

In post 323, Grendel wrote:I simply can't understand why everybody would assume that Zoro wouldn't block the person he announced he was going to block.
See, I would have made this argument in my defense, but I couldn't anywhere find that Zoronos definitively committed to blocking me!
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Post by implosion »

I simply can't understand why everybody would assume that Zoro wouldn't block the person he announced he was going to block.
For me it was a combination of a few things. One, I was pretty confident everyone else was town. Two, Zoronos had in the past indicated trepidation at jailing his stated target if the flip was a mafia role other than rb/etc. I absolutely won't deny it was a mistake. I actually realized something slowly after the fact, which is that we should have predicted that this would happen and decided collectively to put Zoronos on someone else.
This shouldn't even be a discussion.. nn30 and bv are obvtown slots
Problem is, Prism is pretty damn town-looking too. Scum played quite well to put him where he is right now; he distanced in a pretty convincing way and also just played well in a more general sense. Hence why I couldn't get past voting dierfire. Take Grendel, whose dying reads had nn scummier than both scum; take me, who wavered wildly between thinking it would be nn or prism if it wasn't dier.
Also, Implo, you yourself recognized that the D1 gymnastics Shadow would of had to do to be scum would be monumental.
I do, and this is why he was my strongest townread of the three. Problem is, other people didn't agree with me as strongly and I don't personally put more stock in my own reads than in those of any other townie, so if I don't have a very, very strong opinion that conflicts with others' (see: my correct opinions on boring, eagersnake, pp, and my early d1 misread on gamma), I don't push that hard to change others' minds.

I have two real regrets in this game. One was the dier lynch which I attribute I think to a combination of poor planning and personal apathy. By the former I mean that I was never convinced that zoronos was going to jail him; I wish I had been convinced of this, but never was enough and was looking for excuses for why dier could be scum. The second real regret is not drilling into Prism. For so, so much of the game I had him in limbo, and then I sort of just let myself follow the lead of others. I said this at one point:
I think prism has the highest chance of being the scum who's slipping under everyone's radar right now but do not think he is.
and then just sort of stopped putting effort towards reading prism.

Being the clear really is a double-edged sword. It's nice not having the pressure but I've historically found that I'm almost always most motivated when I have pressure on me... which is an unfortunate personality trait. And so I never put in the effort after boring got lynched.
See, I would have made this argument in my defense, but I couldn't anywhere find that Zoronos definitively committed to blocking me!
I've sort of been half-assuming that I missed this though I did look for it a bit...

I think the lessons I want to take away from this game are something like...
1) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop playing as though power roles aren't in the game. I know my voting for dier was because of not being certain he was targeted but I think others may have been willing to lynch him because of thoughts of the last scum being a pr... which i suppose is fair if you thought it was shadow but i still think that he was the clearest town slot.
2) my reads are overall pretty good these days and I should trust them more. In particular when I get an early strong scumread, which is relatively rare. I got one in another recent game that was right, I got one on boring here. I need to drill early strong scumreads more. Granted I'm not sure what more I could have done in this game on that front since like 80% of my posts were just me attacking boring >_>
3) lists with two items in them are boring
4) this has turned a bit ranty
6) wait, where did 5 go
11) oh god get me off this ride what did i sign up for
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Post by implosion »

mm. seeing boring made the kill on the night nn was jailed actually changes my perspective a bit. we actually got a bit lucky there.
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:36 pm

Post by Shadow_step »

I told y'all that nn/dier isn't the scum team because of Zoro jailing nn and kill still going through.
I said we lynch boring/Prism back to back.
Show
The shadows betray you, because they serve me.

"Chrim and Shadow_step town MVPs. There was a point at the game I was legitimately in fear." ~Zach

"I'm mightily impressed by Shadow's ability to find town PR's, by the way. He was the one directing the first two nightkills." ~Michel
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:24 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 328, Shadow_step wrote:I told y'all that nn/dier isn't the scum team because of Zoro jailing nn and kill still going through.
I said we lynch boring/Prism back to back.
Yeah but this logic is actually wrong because boring made the kill that night.
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Post by Shadow_step »

Not really. I said if Dier was scum his buddy is probably boring or Prism and we lynch both of those.
Show

"Chrim and Shadow_step town MVPs. There was a point at the game I was legitimately in fear." ~Zach

"I'm mightily impressed by Shadow's ability to find town PR's, by the way. He was the one directing the first two nightkills." ~Michel
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Post by boring »

Implosion, you have good instincts, and you should definitely trust them. My manipulative attempts this game were shamefully sloppy, but I think I'd have set off your spidey senses regardless. However, being right isn't enough.

The more manipulative your target, the better it is to talk about, rather than to them. It not only makes town like you a little more (because being treated like a member of "us" in "us v. them" feels good), but it puts you in a more powerful (and therefore more credible) position, socially, than your scum-read.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Post by implosion »

I think I did talk about you as much as to you in this game. That said talking to people I'm confident on might be a bad habit? I like responding to everything directed directly to me when I can.

I did enjoy this game. And I'm overall happy enough with my play.

Also podoboq was a generically good mod. Good replacements (well, the free blackvoid replacement at the least :p), good votecounts, and I like this setup. Seems pretty well balanced to me and it has a nice bit of flair. Just annoying that so many people refused to listen to me on d1 when I was by far the most knowledgeable about normal setups... alas.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:58 pm

Post by implosion »

("generically good" is meant to be a compliment along the lines of "good at a general variety of things", i'm tired >,>)
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

I have NEVER seen so may "I'm sorry [delay]" posts. This is ridiculous.
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Post by boring »

The proddodging is shameful.

Note to students: The GRE subject tests (or Praxis, which are produced by the same money-grubbers) are easy if you're fresh outta undergrad. The general test is even easier. So either way, don't sweat it. It's less about what you know, and more about how much money ETS can squeeze out of you.
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Post by podoboq »

I agree. I can't replace them, because we're a week from the game ending. It's basically set in stone, but they just refuse to either participate or end it.
eagerSnake - "Fwiw mod steals pagetops while driving. Still think they wouldn't put in 2 people with ascetic?"
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 am

Post by podoboq »

Nobody's talking to eachother. This is unbelievable.
eagerSnake - "Fwiw mod steals pagetops while driving. Still think they wouldn't put in 2 people with ascetic?"
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:33 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Dead thread is more active than the game thread.
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 am

Post by boring »

I'm really looking forward to podoboq's thoughts on this game when it's all over.
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:43 am

Post by Shadow_step »

The game is boring.
Show

MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:05 am

Post by MariaR »

In post 340, Shadow_step wrote:The game is boring.
never go full pun...
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31 am

Post by boring »

I'm boring. Therefore, any game I'm in must, by law, be a boring game. I'm sorry, I thought you were all asked to sign the waiver in the sign-up thread.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I had fun
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by Grendel »

I was always under the impression that your name was an oxymoron boring. :P
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:02 pm

Post by implosion »

Back off, I have a monopoly on name puns.

Alternatively we can band together with all the other scummers whose names are lowercase English words. Though none come to mind off the top of my head at least.
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Post by boring »

Well at least we have each other! Do implosions produce heat? My feet get cold at night.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

That implosion was rather boring
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Post by boring »

grapes!
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Yes, the lowest hanging fruit
<Embrace The Void>

Return to “Completed Game Topics”