Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Belisarius
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4025 (ISO) » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Post by Belisarius »

Would anyone be interested in a bastard large theme based on Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap Cycle? This is planning far in advance, since I have an already reviewed mini theme ready to go and want to mod a Newbie before a LT, but I have a basic design ready for a game intended to get more scumsided the longer it runs and I think I can provide enough auxiliary documentation to make it playable to any scifi fan even if they don't grok SRD.

Game would include at least one Poor Bastard with the deck stacked against them (albeit with the ability to become OP if the cards fall right) and an alignment altering mechanic, plus a limited positional mechanic.

EDIT: players of fixed alignment would be advised of such in their Role PMs but scum would not know who is fixed, and the game would start with a huge-ass townbloc of non-fixed alignment players.
Josh_B
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4026 (ISO) » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Post by Josh_B »

In post 4006, pitoli wrote:Who would play a Soul Edge/Calibur-themed game?

I'm thinking it'd have to be a large bc there are that many cool characters in the series, but I'd like to have more games and modding experience under my belt before I try it.
pre/in I would love this.
Prof Fridays
Prof Fridays
Mafia Scum
Prof Fridays
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4027 (ISO) » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Post by Prof Fridays »

In post 4026, Josh_B wrote:
In post 4006, pitoli wrote:Who would play a Soul Edge/Calibur-themed game?

I'm thinking it'd have to be a large bc there are that many cool characters in the series, but I'd like to have more games and modding experience under my belt before I try it.
pre/in I would love this.
I'd dig it! :)
"You. I am going to bury you. I am going to bury you and erect an icecream stand on your grave. And all the kids will love that you're dead because they get ice cream. Also your tombstone will say 'here lies a cheeky scumbag.'" - Papa Zito

What if you knew way more about the game state Day 1?
THE LAB 4 is live!
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #4028 (ISO) » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:34 am

Post by farside22 »

I'm planning a mini theme game that every game day you receive a new role PM.
I'm calling the game the time machine. Each game day there would be a different time period and different role PM's. There game would not allow for No Lynch (this is to prevent people from no lynching for a better role). So day one you may be a VT and the next day you may have a PR.
Alignment does not change, just the role PM.
I sort of had the idea of different time periods when i played Cut the rope game.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #4029 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:46 am

Post by goodmorning »

^I kind of love that. Especially the part where it's not really bastard.
JerryArr
JerryArr
he/him
Goon
JerryArr
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4030 (ISO) » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Post by JerryArr »

Would anyone be interested in a Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (mostly the game show) game?
HempHHH
HempHHH
Townie
HempHHH
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4031 (ISO) » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Post by HempHHH »

Illuminati mafia, Illuminati is Mafia and Anonymous is Town
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4032 (ISO) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:08 am

Post by jasonT1981 »

this is what I was going to run before scrapping it for a DC Comics game. However, with the show in its anniversary season, I was thinking of restarting it

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p3536388
In post 295, jasonT1981 wrote:

Title
:
Power Rangers: The Legends War.

Story:
Earth has always come under attack, but Earth has always had a team known as the Power Rangers to fight this evil. But soon after a new power source was found some Ranger's started to break away from their respective teams.

And then it happened.

Some of these break away Rangers turned to the side of darkness, unable to fight their dark urges and a Ranger civil way erupted. Outside help was sought in the form of Kamen Rider's, Masked Rider's and VR Troopers but in the end everyone was left asking the same question.

Who can I trust? And who will be the next to turn.

Players
: 19

Role information
: There is the possibility of alignment changes in this game. Non Power Ranger roles may feature in the game also. However this is not a Bastard Mod game.

Player requirement
: Familiarity of the PR franchise is a bonus, but not required. Players will have to show they have completed at least 2 games on MS.

Pre-ins
: I am accepting 8 pre-in slots.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4033 (ISO) » Sat May 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Post by AGar »

I'm trying to gauge how much interest there would be for a series of games based on Sons of Anarchy. Would almost assuredly be all mini themes, one for each season, similarly to how Reck structured the LOST Series.

I've already got some ideas for the Season 1 setup, but I want to see who would be interested before putting too much time into it.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Zero the Ninth
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4034 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 9:55 am

Post by Zero the Ninth »

"Greetings.

Welcome to the Nonary Game."

Theme - Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Players - [9]
Status - In Development

"Your aim in this game is simple. Each of you has a bracelet with a number on it. Each of the doors in this room also have numbers on them. You may use the [digital root] of your bracelets to re-enter the rooms you woke up in and converse with other players, alone."

WANTED - Assistance with Nonary Game design

WANTED - Volunteers for Nonary Game participation (Currently Accepting: 0)

"There are those among you that wish to cause you harm. In nine hours, you may leave through the door marked with a [9]. Until then, you must survive. Let our game begin."

Magic Monsoon;
Lifeline Departed By Boat

Last edited by Zero the Ninth on Sat May 17, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truth had gone, truth had gone, truth had gone. Ah, now truth is asleep in the darkness of the sinister hand.

TWO MILKMEN GO COMEDY
MEMENTO MORI IF THE NINETH LION ATE THE SUN
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #4035 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Post by Bella »

In post 4033, AGar wrote:I'm trying to gauge how much interest there would be for a series of games based on Sons of Anarchy. Would almost assuredly be all mini themes, one for each season, similarly to how Reck structured the LOST Series.

I've already got some ideas for the Season 1 setup, but I want to see who would be interested before putting too much time into it.
Only if the third one includes a lie in my role PM.
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4036 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 4035, Bella wrote:
In post 4033, AGar wrote:I'm trying to gauge how much interest there would be for a series of games based on Sons of Anarchy. Would almost assuredly be all mini themes, one for each season, similarly to how Reck structured the LOST Series.

Only if the third one includes a lie in my role PM.
I wouldn't be modeling it properly after LOST if I didn't do that.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4037 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 4:32 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

hate you both
green shirt thursdays
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4038 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

I have an idea for a mechanic, guys. Stop me if you've heard it before. The town controls the scum's PR and the scum controls the town's PR. Everything operates as normal, but, like, there's a Mafia RB that's controlled by the town and a town JK controlled by the scum. Not necessarily those two roles, but just to give you an idea of what I'm referring to. Has something like that been done before?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #4039 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Define "controls" - why wouldn't the Town always direct the RB to a Townie, and the scum always direct the JK to a (suspected) PR?

Are you thinking of the Enabler modifier?
Retired as of October 2014.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4040 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Not quite an Enabler if I am reading the role right.

As to your first point, well, that's kind of the idea. Does that sound too boring? Ideally the town would try and direct the scum's PR(s) to not hurt the town and vice versa for the scum directing the town's PR(s). I don't think it would be perfect though. But do you think there'd always be someone volunteering as the "guinea pig" to claim VT before the day was up? I kind of think that would bring an interesting risk/reward element to the game. Put yourself in the shoes of a VT in a hypothetical game like that. Should you, as a VT, claim and potentially receive the wrath of every PR in the game? Or should you stay silent in the hope that the PRs aren't used against you? What if there's a vig? Also, would a Goon ever find it advantageous to claim VT in such an environment? If someone claims VT for "guinea pig" sake, does that make them more townie (and therefore, you shouldn't direct PRs toward them?)

Just spitballing here, of course. This idea just came to me this evening.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4041 (ISO) » Thu May 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Post by quadz08 »

I don't see how that's any different than having regular PRs and unreliable track/watch results. *shrug*
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4042 (ISO) » Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 am

Post by RedCoyote »

The results wouldn't be unreliable though. The target would just be controlled by the opponent(s).
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4043 (ISO) » Sat May 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

A town PR controlled by scum=a scum PR
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4044 (ISO) » Sat May 17, 2014 1:15 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

A town JK would always block a scum PR, so the town don't get it.
TheFuzzylogic99
TheFuzzylogic99
Mafia Scum
TheFuzzylogic99
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4045 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 am

Post by TheFuzzylogic99 »

I hate you now Jerry... I was thinking about hosting a Carman SanDiego game. If done right this could be really cool. Are you going to have the Rockapella theme?
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #4046 (ISO) » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Post by mastin2 »

I have an idea for what would very loosely be a mafia game (9 players), but with heavy mechanical restrictions in place:
The flavor of the game being that each player is an actor, and that I am the director, of a new movie called...Werewolf. The players, like actors, are not precisely given role PMs, as much as they are scripts (dialog in posts--as in, what they say) and general notes on their character: "You're planned to be wolf chow", "you are planned to survive to the final three", and for the two mafia players, "you're planned to be revealed as a werewolf", along with triggers as to when. (Basically, a mechanic similar to AV's game, only in this case, it's mod-driven rather than scum-driven.
And also serving as an inversion of normal. Normally, mods incorporate players' posting into their flavor, with words and actions and whatnot being reflected in the lynch scene. In this game, it'd be the players incorporating the moderator's flavor into their posting.)

...Yet one of the best parts about movies?
...Is a little thing we like to call, "Improv", as things can (and will) go off the script.

Featuring mechanics such as,
-Break room time, where characters (both alive and dead) discuss outside the set, in a PT. And have no script restrictions. (However, executives while encouraging speculation as to their final plot twist, don't want the actors to half-ass a performance by knowing the answers, thus, those they have cast as werewolves have false-scripts they have prepared and encourage said actors to troll around a bit.)
-INCREDIBLY flavor-heavy game, both in-set and quite a fair amount out-of-set.
-Executive meddling in the enforcement of certain events. (e.g. "there must be a climax, which means we must have only three survivors and one of them a wolf!")
-The risk of getting "fired" if straying too far from script--not replacement as we think of as in games, but having an influence on the game. (Rather, refer to above on executive meddling.)

It'd still be a mafia game with set rules and triggers, just with the illusion of spontaneity. (Thus, slightly bastard-modding.) No reviews yet, not ironed out, but it's been an idea in my head in some form or another for a very long time and I was wondering if there would be interest in this humorous take on things, blending movies with novels with mafia. (If there is, then I'll begin the refinement of the idea.)
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Colm
Colm
Watcher
Colm
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4047 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:32 am

Post by Colm »

In post 4028, farside22 wrote:I'm planning a mini theme game that every game day you receive a new role PM.
I'm calling the game the time machine. Each game day there would be a different time period and different role PM's. There game would not allow for No Lynch (this is to prevent people from no lynching for a better role). So day one you may be a VT and the next day you may have a PR.
Alignment does not change, just the role PM.
I sort of had the idea of different time periods when i played Cut the rope game.
Sounds like a good idea. Would you use a program to reassign or would you do it more systematically to insure that nobody got the same role 2 days in a row? My concern would be if I were a PR two days back to back, it might could unintentionally damage my strategy in the game.
Colm
Colm
Watcher
Colm
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #4048 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:52 am

Post by Colm »

Has anyone ever seen a game based on Downton Abbey? I am trying to conceptualize it but would just as soon plagiarize it for some folks who want to set one up elsewhere with maybe 10-12 players.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4049 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 4046, mastin2 wrote:No reviews yet, not ironed out, but it's been an idea in my head in some form or another for a very long time and I was wondering if there would be interest in this humorous take on things, blending movies with novels with mafia. (If there is, then I'll begin the refinement of the idea.)
That depends. Do I win? Or at the very least, am I part of the epic 1v1 showdown at the very end on top of the [insert awesome final battle setting here]?
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”