Newbie 853 (Endgame, Mafia win!!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #475 (ISO) » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Post by AGar »

DTMaster wrote:A town win considering the cop self destructed and both VW/Scorpion and Concerned were in the deep end because of it would have been the most amazing come back ever.
I'd love to know what was going on in BN's mind, honestly.

GG guys. This was hands down the toughest replacement I've had. I can honestly say this is the only game as scum where I was like "I am going to get lynched, one way or another." The other games I was able to worm my way out of it. I only got lynched in 857 because of dumb luck, not any true scumtells dropped.

I enjoyed this game, although I want to apologize for lurking a bit. I was highly stressed by the mid-point of the game. The lack of contribution was honestly not even intended to be a scum thing, it just happened to point you guys in my direction.

Big props to Zorblag. I'd skimmed a few of your games before this and the mini we just played, and I had always heard good things about you, it was really an honor to play beside you. One of the toughest players to read in any scenario, I'd argue.

I had fun guys, definitely enjoyed this game, I hope to run into you all again in other games!

-AGar
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
brothernature
brothernature
Goon
brothernature
Goon
Goon

Post Post #476 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:10 am

Post by brothernature »

AGar wrote:I'd love to know what was going on in BN's mind, honestly.
Parents had just announced they were getting divorced. Was flunking half my classes. Was just majorly stressed out during the game.
You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
-Al Capone
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #477 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:21 am

Post by Zorblag »

Thanks Sironigous for modding the game and letting me join! Thank you to all the players for being here to play. Here are some thoughts on the game from my point of view.

The biggest thing the town had working against it while I was here was apathy. I tried to combat that at the start because while it's possible to get through a game like I did it's more fun for everyone if people are more engaged. I apologize for my part in the lack of participation but I really did run into a stretch where I was having very little time to get on at all and when I did, given the activity levels here, this game was a low priority for me.

I would have been better off if I had followed through with the bus of Ezekial right from the start. I played a somewhat suboptimal game when I decided that I'd do everything I could to give him a chance to get some game experience rather than simply go for what would probaly be the easier win (as I knew that both the town powerroles were already gone and I could have looked pretty good nailing scum my first day in.) I don't feel too bad about that but I did spend too much time keeping a partner alive day two and it didn't look great later.

The sneaky IC manipulating the game thing is irritating. I get that whether I'm scum or town these days regardless of how reasonable it is to think that it could be the case. It really doesn't take an IC to be manipluative; I've seen great players who were new to the site that are certainly more dangerous as scum than I'll ever be. Being an IC also doesn't mean that someone's going to be a great player. I've seen plenty of ICs that know the basic rules but aren't particularly good at all. In this case it is true that I was scum as an IC but I would have given pretty much all the same game advice in a normal situation that I did here. Everything I said about being willing to lynch claimed power roles, the times when you should be willing to self hammer (there really aren't many but we did come close to be one of them in day two) and all the rest are things that I believe are true.

@brothernature, if you're still reading this please don't self hammer like that in the future. You're welcome to get irritated at the town but you should still try to do everything you can to find scum even up to your death. If the others don't trust what you're saying then do remember that they don't know your alignment so they have every reason to doubt what you're saying. It's also going to be true that the scum are out there trying to get town lynched so if there are a couple voices that are giving you a particularly hard time that doesn't mean that the town has things wrong.

@AGar, it was good to play with you in this game. Unfortunately the read that I was getting here on you as scum didn't help with my meta for you in the other game; the underlying cause of lack of time was a bigger factor for both games than I took into account for.

@Concerned, I think that you would be well served by adopting the more common game terms here (the names for roles in particular) as there were a couple times when it was an issue which didn't help you. I liked your play on day one more than that in the following days for the most part as it felt like you dropped off some. On the other hand you did seem to do the most vocal picking up on the scum team so I think you've got good instincts.

@Lizzy Tsoi, I don't know if you're still reading this game or not but the biggest thing that I'd change for you is to be a more active participant if you can. It felt like you were holding back some and if your death wasn't convenient for it's confusion on night two there's a decent chance that scum might have tried to use that against you in the future.

@XScorpion, replacing in to a spot like that can be rough but I find that it happens somewhat infrequently. Of the 18 games I've replaced into now I was only in a bad enough spot where my lynch was inevitable once (I'm OK at talking myself out of getting lynched but it was really only that one time that I replaced into a position comparable to yours.) Given the spot you were in it probably would have been useful to spend more time looking at the other players in the game and I really think you should have been willing to consider lynching more than just one player other than yourself even though, in this case, you happened to be right about them being scum.

@DTMaster, first off, if you're ever in a spot like the one you were at in the endgame here and you've got a big multi-part case to present I strongly recommend not leading off with the part of the case that's a null tell. You needed to go after me with the best reasons you had for me being scum that you could muster right off the bat to have a better chance. Your activity levels did leave you open to attacks (though I could push on it too hard given my own disappearing act) and you also had the misfortune here of never having done much with Ezekial which was something I could use against you.

I think that you're probably too permissive about lurking. It's true that town lurk sometimes but in games where they do it makes it easier for the scum to lurk as well. I also think that your stance on lynchign claimed power roles on day one is too lenient. There's actually a discussion that's just started in the Mafia Discussion forum here that I might recommend you take part in that's more or less on that topic.

@cruelty, I did like your game a fair amount and if you were trying to test me a couple times that would explain why it felt like some of your posts didn't really fit with what I expected from you. I guess that I can just say that if you think someone is more likely to be scum in LyLo when you're town you really should vote for them rather than having any thought of punishing players for whatever reason. The goal here is to win and while I can see it might have been more frustrating to lose to DTMaster than it would be to lose to me you should still probably go with the one you think is scum.

If anyone is curious here's all the scum communication that happened in this game after I entered: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/LLWjfUjgVTY

In any case, this was a really tough game for the town to come back from after day one (and then losing the doc on night one which was just luck on the scum's part.) You almost managed so congratulations. I look forward to seeing you all around in the future!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh

*edit before posting*

@brothernature, that does sound like a stressful combination. Hopefully things have settled down some for you.
Lizzy Tsoi
Lizzy Tsoi
Townie
Lizzy Tsoi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #478 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:34 am

Post by Lizzy Tsoi »

Haha I looked over your night communication - you both really pinned my thoughts well. I definitely would have pushed a DTMaster lynch, and up until he finally presented his case, I still thought he was scum. (Also, I apparently fail to ever read AGar properly, lol. You're scummy when you're town, and townish when you're scum.)

I think my play suffered here because it was my first time replacing in. I felt way too uncomfortable - I don't think I'll replace again in the future.

Even though the game was low in activity, it was still interesting to see how things played out. Thanks for the game, everyone :)
DTMaster
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #479 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Post by DTMaster »

@Troll
Lurking is an anti-town tell to me. If you read my wiki experience, I've only experienced three games where town caught scum through lurking and two - three games where we killed townies for it.

To me, its not nearly enough of a strong tell to attack someone for it.
DTMaster
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #480 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Post by DTMaster »

I should add that Cruel killed me in frustration rather then case analysis :s
Sironigous
Sironigous
Goon
Sironigous
Goon
Goon

Post Post #481 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:18 am

Post by Sironigous »

Arghhh.

First of all thank you so much to all the replacements! That was crazy.. so many flaked out...

Next, thank you everyone who didn't need to be replaced!

brothernature self-hammer was BLEH.
Vendel hammering a claimed cop was bleh.

Personally, I would've waited for someone else to claim or something, but eh...

Xscorpion self-hammer was bleh, but definitely on a lesser scale!

Though, worst of all was the mod error in the game; especially with that lynch. Thanks Zorblag and XScorpion for pointing it out. :S
I hope you guys have no idea what I'm talking about.
Trinka Trinka!
DTMaster
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #482 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:49 am

Post by DTMaster »

ZOMG A MOD ERROR?
Sironigous
Sironigous
Goon
Sironigous
Goon
Goon

Post Post #483 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:33 am

Post by Sironigous »

sneaky sneaky. :S it was a TERRIBAD error. though, I'm glad you didn't notice. :D
Trinka Trinka!
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #484 (ISO) » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:11 am

Post by Zorblag »

@DTMaster, if you're hitting 50% or more scum by lynching lurkers then it's actually going well for you. That's above average when it comes to lynching scum. Having said that, whether they get lynched or not it's important to try to get some pressure on lurkers as early and consistently as possible. If scum can lurk through big parts of the game the town has less of a read to work with. This game's day one was a perfect example. The entire scum team basically got through without any negative associations simply because they didn't post. It's actually better to get lurkers replaced than lynch them if it's possible but letting them stick around in the game and not contribute is a good way to make it harder for the town.

I do also realizes that cruelty didn't kill you for ideal reasons but beyond that it looked like he was saying that he was suspicious of me based on a gut read from early during my tenure in the game. I think that the case I was putting out there against you was at least as strong as the case you were trying to build on me towards the endgame. I'm clearly biased but I was just putting together what I would have done if I were town in that situation.

@Sironigous, I'm just glad that it didn't come up as an issue past right when it happened. We're all human and we make mistakes; you handled the situation just right when it went down and the game worked just fine.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #485 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Post by AGar »

Zorblag wrote:@AGar, it was good to play with you in this game. Unfortunately the read that I was getting here on you as scum didn't help with my meta for you in the other game; the underlying cause of lack of time was a bigger factor for both games than I took into account for.
Yeah, I've been really crunched lately - I'm taking on some big tasks at school with the clubs I'm in and that's crunching me.
Lizzy Tsoi wrote: (Also, I apparently fail to ever read AGar properly, lol. You're scummy when you're town, and townish when you're scum.)
You're not the first, and surely won't be the last to read me wrong. It happens haha. I hope we end up in some more games together, it's always fun playing with you.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #486 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Post by AGar »

EBWOP:
it's always fun playing with you
Kelly
. :P

Lizzy Tsoi
Lizzy Tsoi
Townie
Lizzy Tsoi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #487 (ISO) » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:23 am

Post by Lizzy Tsoi »

AGar wrote:EBWOP:
it's always fun playing with you
Kelly
. :P
Ahaha hush, you.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #488 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:08 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”