Song Contest 145 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
I Have Bad Taste In Music
Watcher
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:13 am

Post by I Have Bad Taste In Music »

Niger - Nothing about this song worked for me
Chad - Musically this was almost kind of ok, but everything else about it made me feel uncomfortable in a way that is not almost kind of ok.
Iceland - Not something I would normally listen to, but I enjoyed it
The Netherlands - a timeless classic sang by a timeless classic
Iran - ditto cyril's comment
Hungary - I didn't dislike this, but wouldn't be interested in listening to it outside of this contest.
Spain - I listened to this one twice because it gave me mixed feelings the first listen. I like it.
USA - Solid enough while in the mood for a song that is exactly like this one.
Norway - I was really liking this, but it didn't manage to end well at all and that ruined it a lot for me.
Eritrea - Not bad.
Sudan - Bad.
Uruguay - Loud and bad.
Guinea - Chilling and beautiful. I like this
Egypt - Really did not enjoy this
Portugal - Better than it deserves to be
Liechtenstein - Also better than it deserves to be, but it really doesn't deserve to be good at all so idk
Djibouti - Exactly as good as it deserves to be and it really does not deserve to be good
Costa Rica - Not terrible, but terribly boring
England - Better than I expected for a reddit link but that's really the best I can say about it
Turkey - Good song
Poland - yeah
Bhutan - This was mostly just noise to me

Eritrea
Iceland
Portugal
Spain
The Netherlands
Turkey
USA

Also Points

Hungary
Liechtenstein
Norway

Could Have Had Points If I Hated This Contest Enough

Bhutan
Costa Rica
England

Dear God Why Would You Make Me Listen To This

Chad
Djibouti
Egypt
Niger
Sudan
Uruguay

Countries are in alphabetical order and probably not the order in which I ranked them
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 am

Post by Empire »

Costa Rica - a masterpiece from the single most depressing and heartbreaking album of all time
Sudan
Djibouti
Egypt
The Netherlands
---
Bhutan
Portugal
England
Uruguay
USA
---
Norway
Eritrea
Turkey
Iceland
Poland
Hungary
Guinea
Niger
---
Iran
---
Liechtenstein
Chad

this might be the first time in a long while i didnt have to give points to something i found boring/mediocre
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Post by PJ. »

Streetlight manifesto got top 3 in a BOTB, it's not a legal entry. Sorry to be *that* guy
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I was really conflicted about ranking it what a weight off my shoulders
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 52, PJ. wrote:Streetlight manifesto got top 3 in a BOTB, it's not a legal entry. Sorry to be *that* guy
1) Thanks for being *that* guy
2)
I rated that entry lowest on my first pass
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Post by Cyril »

Yeah I thought I remembered them being submitted before and doing well lol
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Post by Vi »

I got my second pass out of the way tonight instead of doing responsible things. My life is a rolling disaster.

Spoiler: rrrrr
|
|
===TIER: The entries that actually came to compete

(12) GUINEA -- Димаш Кудайберген {Знай}
-- The prelude probably could have been cut entirely but the guy's voice is frigging hawt. I respect this song something fierce; this is an uncommon vocal talent. Thank you very much for showing me this. 5.1/6

(10) THE NETHERLANDS -- Weird Al Yankovic {Hardware Store}
-- Yes. Yes. This song has a fair amount of padding by repeating its chorus, but all things considered this is so far ahead of every entry below this in terms of raw musicianship. Anyone who doesn't give this song points has their head too far up their ass to know what good music is. 5/6

===TIER: Other entries that narrowly saved my faith in humanity

(8) NORWAY -- Secret Garden {Lament for a Frozen Flower}
-- The violin is probably overdoing it on the sob story material. Still, it's better than I was expecting from the first 20 seconds. I'm more the sort who would prefer a clear direction or more intensity in their instrumentals, but this acquitted itself pretty well. 4.1/6

(7) USA -- Spanish Love Songs {Beachfront Property}
-- In memory of iPie, who would totally have submitted this. Why is this guy singing the verses with vibrato. I'm getting a bit tired of hearing this genre in so many Song Contests, but at the same time it beats of a lot of the alternatives, so I keep giving it points. 4/6

(6) TURKEY -- Lupe Fiasco & Guy Sebastian {Battle Scars}
-- The two of them playing off each other is really distracting (and the primary reason that this is lower than the entry above), but in general I find this mostly pretty cool. I'm not blown away, but I can tell how another person would be. It's a good message too. 3.85/6

===TIER: They're okay I guess

(5) ICELAND -- The Protomen {The Hounds}
-- Why are the vocals buried :( Honestly this song was a lot better when I didn't bother trying to understand the lyrics; it took a bath in anti-pretentiousness and came out cleaner. 3.65/6

(4) POLAND -- Billy Joel {Movin' Out}
-- Billy Joel has such an expansive catalog, and you picked this one in particular?? Mediocre song from someone I'd really rather rate highly; I feel kind of ill by giving this as many points as I am. 3.6/6

(3) EGYPT -- Melody's Echo Chamber {Breathe In, Breathe Out}
-- This sounds pretty good. It's too all-over-the-place for me to rate it very highly, but it's still sorta something I could put on in the background. I want to permanently borrow this art team. 3.3/6

(2) LIECHTENSTEIN -- While She Sleeps ft. Oli Sykes {Silence Speaks}
-- Rhinox
no
. Bad rhino. No throat-burning. They're wrecking a song I would have rated way higher. I appreciate these lyrics in this dire time, but WHY these voices though. 3.1/6

(1) NIGER -- Zed {Renegade Fighter}
-- Well, the chorus certainly has one thing to say. It's generally euphonic, but it's pretty close to white-dude-with-guitar-attempting-to-emote and I'm not really into this groove. The video really needs a strobe warning. 2.9/6

===TIER: and here comes the flood

IRAN -- Alyssa Edwards {Drop Dead Gorgeous (B. Ames Mix)}
-- Honestly this song makes me feel a LOT better about wanting to submit gag songs that I unironically like (which I nearly did in this contest). It's not a terrible mix tbh; this could be a lot worse but it could be a
lot
better. One day I want to get my hands on some time and some mashup tools, and then I can unleash my TRUE power on the Internet. 2.45/6

CHAD -- Wilson {Fuck Up My High (Remix) ft. Hyro The Hero}
-- This is... very forward. It's not in any way my kind of song, but it actually sounds kind of good tbh, so it's getting a much better rating than par for this sort of thing. This came damn close to getting points in this contest. 2.4/6

PORTUGAL -- IAMDYNAMITE {Bloom}
-- 2.3/6

URUGUAY -- Scraton {Wub a Dub Dub}
-- This really obnoxious effect on every beat is called pumping, right? I need to learn these things...
So true story. My random listening order put all of the songs I'm giving points to at the end. All of them. I wanted to die. But if the songs at the end didn't happen this was probably going to get multiple points purely for the moxie of submitting brony bait. 2.25/6

COSTA RICA -- eels {Climbing to the Moon}
-- 2.225/6

HUNGARY -- Root & Branch {Poor Old Soldier (The Rogue's March)}
-- 2.2/6

DJIBOUTI -- Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats {Take_it_Back_v2}
-- 2.1/6

===TIER: i'm beseeching you with tears in my eyes, cease this

BHUTAN -- Joyce Manor {Heart Tattoo}
-- 1.9/6

SPAIN -- Caroline Polachek {Door}
-- 1.75/6

SUDAN -- Teebs {Black Dove (feat. Sudan Archives)}
-- They could have made something really good with these ingredients, and instead they used one of the worst kick synths they could dredge up. I want to get something out of this, but it's trapped behind its attempt to twist my brain around its questionable choice of harmonies. The misophonia is seriously there. 1.4/6

ERITREA -- Streetlight Manifesto {Point / Counterpoint}
-- 1.3/6 (but also N/A)

ENGLAND -- Fearofdark {Next}
-- I have in at least one previous contest compared entries to DAW demo songs perjoratively (although I didn't publish the comments because obviously those entries didn't score well). Well, here's a DAW demo song that's probably best-in-class for OpenMPT, which is mostly good for chipsounds.

This is a link to Reddit because one of the most endearing and beloved features of Soundcloud is its mandatory autoplay.

Chiptune-adjacent is a genre that I expect to score quite poorly, but I hope a few of you have a very pleasant three minutes. As for me, this song reminds me of all the content creation I haven't done... and also how far I would have to go to be able to make something that sounds this good.
Last edited by Vi on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

So, should I not vote for Streetlight? :cry:
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Dr Easy Bake wrote:So, should I not vote for Streetlight? :cry:
I'll reiterate:
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:11 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

For the first time ever I will be giving a write up of what I gave points to. Positive vibes only people.
I went ahead and didn't include Streetlight just to be safe, but they would have been my 12 pointer.
Spoiler:
12 Points: Alyssa Edwards - “Drop Dead Gorgeous (B. Ames Mix)”
Get a grip, get a life, and get over it. Need I say more? Awlright.
10 Points: Root and Branch - “Poor Old Soldier (The Rogue's March)”
Why am I fucking crying right now?
8 Points: Weird Al Yankovic - “Hardware Store”
I mean, bow down to the king of parody.
7 Points: Caroline Polachek - “Door”
I really loved her recent album.
6 Points: Lupe Fiasco & Guy Sebastian - “Battle Scars”
I grew up on this man.
5 Points: IAMDYNAMITE - “Bloom”
Really liked this dude’s voice.
4 Points: Spanish Love Songs - “Beachfront Property”
This really caught me by the end of it.
3 Points: Wilson - “Fuck Up My High (Remix)” ft. Hyro The Hero
High school stoner DEB would have been all over this shit.
2 Points: Joyce Manor - “Heart Tattoo”
Dope little emo/punk jam.
1 Point: Melody's Echo Chamber - “Breathe In, Breathe Out”
Indie stoner shit that I love, trippy video ftw.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Post by Cyril »

Turkey – Well, I definitely liked this more than I was expecting to based on the artist. There’s a good hook here & generally good production besides, though I don’t think the emotional core of the song fully works for me. (DECENT)

Sudan – This entire thing has a low-key seasick and offbeat vibe to it that’s just, not working for me. Vaguely pleasant otherwise but not memorable for anything good about it. (MEDIOCRE)

Norway – This is the alternate universe version of “Sad Violin”. It’s incredibly fine mood music that doesn’t fit my current mood and doesn’t have any context to be amplifying. (AVERAGE)

USA – For the record, I wanted to submit Losers, Pt. 2. Anyways this is cheating for specifically me. This album’s really good. I’m waiting for my copy in the mail right now. (GOOD)

Eritrea – Skipping ‘cause it’s banned~

Costa Rica – Felt like this should have had a stronger emotional core than it did but I did find it. Nice. (DECENT)

Djibouti – Well there was no way I was ever going to like this but the pitch shifted vocals in both directions sealed the deal there.
Looker
Looker
the
Stenographer
Looker
the
Stenographer
Stenographer
Pronoun: the

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Post by Looker »

Fearofdark keeps playing in my head
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I like Turkey
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
She
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Scores out of 10.

Norway 9.5
Spain 8
Turkey 8
Iceland 8
Poland 8
Uruguay 7
Egypt 7
Costa Rica 7
Portugal 6
Hungary 6
Guinea 5
Sudan 4
usa 4
Djibouti 4
Bhutan 3
Liechtenstein 3
Eritrea 3
Netherlands 3
Chad 2
Iran 2

England n/a couldn't listen.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I will listen to Norway an extra time in your honor
"Well, I..."
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I can't listen to England either, Firefox doesn't like soundcloud i guess
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Looker
Looker
the
Stenographer
Looker
the
Stenographer
Stenographer

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Post by Looker »

https://youtu.be/31RJiy32lGg <--- Fearofdark on YouTube
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:48 pm

Post by Plotinus »

thank you!
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:19 pm

Post by popsofctown »

"...I fucking hate the bitch,
I'll never hit a woman but I'll scare the shit out of this chick,
(boom) I'm sorry did I scare you?
Well you fucked up my high, now I can't float up to the moon!
I'm Mario on a cloud and you'sa nemesis to me: you King Koopa."

Google fu couldn't find these lyrics, but this is what I manage by listening carefully several times.

About a decade ago, maybe a little less, I used to bop around on social video chatrooms, ones with very little shared interest basis or matching basis or any algorithms like that, just random humans. I ended up on one that had like five people in it and I wasn't super engaged but kind of fitted in. I had my camera off most of the time and just watched the other people interact. I engaged a little bit but was mostly lurky.

Two of the most prominent users were Samantha and Terry. Sami was bouncing amongst minimum wage jobs in one state of the USA, Terry was phone operator for 911 in a city about two states away.

After maybe, a month, I found out that Sami had decided to pack bags and move in with Terry, in timing with the next rent payment. Terry wasn't my favorite or least favorite chatter, had mentioned some "spicy" political views at some point maybe, but eh. Was all good to hear that some adults had come up with an adult money saving venture combined with an attempt at an adult relationship.

Then one at one point a week or so later, Terry said during conversation about a topic, "I will never hit a woman, but I would definitely slap a bitch".
I remember feeling very concerned. The best way to become capable of dark acts as a human is to dehumanize the victim. I'm sure if I asked Terry at that time, "would you classify Sami as a 'woman' or a 'bitch', he would have picked the former. But, it's just a question of that mood shifting, and that's what's problematic. I felt like his comment was an insight and a window into how something as unthinkable as domestic abuse could possibly come to exist, but also a dark portent. I felt very concerned for Sami, but I don't think I had enough social capital with her to talk her out of it so I didn't ever mention it at all, but wonder if I should have.

I think "I'll never hit a woman but" is a very very troubled, concerning sequence of English words, and this song was top 3 for me on musicality until I parsed enough lyrics to catch all of this. Defining the woman as "king koopa" potentially to the exclusion of homo sapiens seems like it's possibly also on the theme of dehumanization, but I could rest a case that the phrase "I'll never hit a woman but" is on its own problematic regardless what follows. So no points from me.
"Well, I..."
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:43 am

Post by PJ. »

I'd never slap a woman but I'd definitely slap a woman
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:25 am

Post by Vi »

In post 66, Looker wrote:https://youtu.be/31RJiy32lGg <--- Fearofdark on YouTube
Thank you for linking the one that didn't screw up the bass parts.

I wanted to work it in a way that credited the creator without using soundcloud ._.
Looker
Looker
the
Stenographer
Looker
the
Stenographer
Stenographer

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:53 am

Post by Looker »

I hit women all the time, but I have a lot of sisters and they deserve it
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:49 am

Post by Formerfish »

Djibouti- Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats - Take_it_Back_v2- doing my list beforehand this was one of the songs i was looking forward to the most. I have been fucking with Denzel for a minute and I'm very happy to see him getting some more exposure, heads and shoulders and torsos above most other current rappers.

Iceland- The Protomen - The Hounds- I actually dug this a lot. Good mix of sounds, energy, drive and I loved the lyrics and the way they played around with their delivery. Added to my playlist.

USA- Spanish Love Songs - Beachfront Property- this one drew me in to it in a way i wasnt expecting. I dug the rhythm and then the vocals kinda sneaked up and kicked you in the nuts when you werent looking, in a good way. Added

Portugal- IAMDYNAMITE - Bloom- I put this on while i was doing something else, and within 30 seconds i stopped doing the other thing and was focused on this. Good song. Added.

Poland- Billy Joel - Movin' Out- One of his best songs, I'll never forget how loud it got when he started to play this one with Elton. Great show.

Sudan- Teebs & Sudan Archives - Black Dove- I liked the build on this track, and where it went. The vocals were decently haunting and enticing.

Hungary- Root & Branch - Poor Old Soldier- Yes please, this is right up my alley. Added to the list.

Norway- Secret Garden - Lament for a Frozen Flower- beautiful piece.

Bhutan- Joyce Manor - Heart Tattoo- ok

Liechtenstein- While She Sleeps ft. Oli Sykes - Silence Speaks- i would listen to this while working out, or beating the shit out of a clown.

Eritrea- Streetlight Manifesto - Point / Counterpoint- ska bro.

Iran- A. Edwards - Drop Dead Gorgeous- Entertaining, but not something I would watch or listen to more than once.

Niger- Zed - Renegade Fighter- This was ok. Nothing really blew me away, but this didnt bother me at all. Kinda of generic sound, but catchy enough.

Turkey- Lupe Fiasco - Battle Scars- I always want to like Lupe songs more than i do. They are rarely bad, but not often very good either.

Costa Rica- Eels - Climbing to the Moon- meh, it was ok.

Egypt- Melody's Echo Chamber - Breathe In, Breathe Out- this was ok, not a huge of the whispy voiced female vocalists.

Spain- Caroline Polachek - Door- i started to get bored when she started repeating she was gonna run though a door, though a door, through a door, through a door.

Uruguay- Scraton - Wub a Dub Dub- I turned this down so that no one else would hear this, I live alone.

The Netherlands- Weird Al Yankovic - Hardware Store- ive never really been into his originals. I just dont think they are interesting, his parodies are what hes best at.

Guinea- Dimash Kudaibergen - Know- took too long to get to the point, and then this

England- Fearofdark - Next- the title was apt.

Chad- Wilson - Fuck Up My High (Remix) ft. Hyro The Hero- Couldnt do the song I wanted because the artist had been submitted to recently, this is what you got instead, hope your ear holes enjoyed it.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 am

Post by Song Contest »

In post 66, Looker wrote:https://youtu.be/31RJiy32lGg <--- Fearofdark on YouTube
Thanks, added to the entries post!
In post 52, PJ. wrote:Streetlight manifesto got top 3 in a BOTB, it's not a legal entry. Sorry to be *that* guy
Checking into this...
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:11 am

Post by Song Contest »

Christ. I didn't realize Streetlight got third in a BotB. That was my entry, btw.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Return to “General Discussion”