Song Contest 150 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 7:50 am

Post by Vi »

In post 49, toolenduso wrote:The problem with Greenland is that if we allow Greenland there's no reason not to allow somebody to enter, say, California. Or, like, Paris.
"the moderator is a capricious bastard"

I don't think the slope is that slippery (Paris??) but etc. I don't think that it needs to be more restrictive than it is now though.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 am

Post by Xtoxm »

its nice being able to pick a country, but i'd prefer to have everyone assigned a random country tbh
each week i know whose entry most of the songs are and im sure theres bias we cant correct for
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 10:32 am

Post by PJ. »

Tbf, there's a lot of people who you'd have a c reasonable stab at with names off.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 am

Post by Vi »

In post 51, Xtoxm wrote:each week i know whose entry most of the songs are and im sure theres bias we cant correct for
otoh people seem to like having "their country"

I had this argument before (taking your position) but ultimately my guidance is "whatever's fun for the most people without introducing stupidity".
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 11:57 am

Post by PranaDevil »

I don't even care if there's stupidity... I'm running a Song Contest for my friends in my board game group (and further afield) via Facebook (and a website in fact, if anyone fancies doing some extra contests on the side, bung me a PM for a link), and I've even said fictional countries can be made up. We had Beartherlands and MikeFest 2019 in the first one... and it didn't matter in the slightest because it doesn't actively affect the contest as a whole. I'd ban any obviously offensive stuff, but beyond that it's a bit of fun.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Post by Natirasha »

I mean I know who more or less everyone is by country but I can't think its ever once come up my rankings. Besides things like panzer and I having somewhat similar tastes so I tend to give him higher points because he submits music I like more often and whatnot.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 10:15 pm

Post by MiniDeathStar »

You could just allow autonomous states even if they are de jure subjects of another state? Like Greenland, Åland, and federal republics in Russia like Karelia and Dagestan?
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Entries are due at midnight Pacific Time tonight!
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 10:18 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 54, PranaDevil wrote:I don't even care if there's stupidity... I'm running a Song Contest for my friends in my board game group (and further afield) via Facebook (and a website in fact, if anyone fancies doing some extra contests on the side, bung me a PM for a link), and I've even said fictional countries can be made up. We had Beartherlands and MikeFest 2019 in the first one... and it didn't matter in the slightest because it doesn't actively affect the contest as a whole. I'd ban any obviously offensive stuff, but beyond that it's a bit of fun.
This seems like it could work too. In this case I would probably just change the "what was your country" question on the voting ballot to a drop-down list where the choices were all the countries that had been entered plus "NA" for people who are voting but didn't enter.
In post 51, Xtoxm wrote:i'd prefer to have everyone assigned a random country tbh
I see some possible problems with this. One is that it would add some complication to the back end process. Another is that it might make the country system more confusing ("which country am I again?")
In post 56, MiniDeathStar wrote:You could just allow autonomous states even if they are de jure subjects of another state? Like Greenland, Åland, and federal republics in Russia like Karelia and Dagestan?
This seems more complicated than I think I'm willing to take on. Adds more research requirements on my end, and might also introduce some new gray areas.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 23, Vi wrote:
In post 22, Dr Easy Bake wrote:I submitted something nasty.
I didn't realize you were into Paula Abdul.

(ftr: while I acknowledge that song was explicitly intended to be a countercultural reclaiming of the word as a slur against women - and the current President apparently didn't get the memo - the song is also pretty tedious)
Janet Jackson. And you should definitely read her wiki, cause she got crushed by misogyny
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 10:57 am

Post by Xtoxm »

In post 58, toolenduso wrote:I see some possible problems with this. One is that it would add some complication to the back end process. Another is that it might make the country system more confusing ("which country am I again?")
those are fair points
like vi said, its not a critical issue that im going to argue for; the main takeaway for you is that i dont object to your initial proposal
(unlike the non voter penalty i lobbied for a while back)
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 11:14 am

Post by Vi »

In post 59, PJ. wrote:
In post 23, Vi wrote:
In post 22, Dr Easy Bake wrote:I submitted something nasty.
I didn't realize you were into Paula Abdul.

(ftr: while I acknowledge that song was explicitly intended to be a countercultural reclaiming of the word as a slur against women - and the current President apparently didn't get the memo - the song is also pretty tedious)
Janet Jackson. And you should definitely read her wiki, cause she got crushed by misogyny
gdi I thought I double-checked that before posting

(no fault of yours but I'm taking this trip-up way harder than I usually do)

---
Xtoxm wrote:like vi said, its not a critical issue that im going to argue for; the main takeaway for you is that i dont object to your initial proposal
(unlike the non voter penalty i lobbied for a while back)
tbc I also said "there's really no need to restrict freedom more than you already have"

also since you brought it up I did notice this when reading the rules this time
However, if those that entered and are accepted do not vote, they will get a 20 point penalty and be banned from entering in the next contest, so please consider that before entering.

[...]

-If you fail to vote and fewer than three extensions are needed: You lose 12 points
-If you vote after the first extension: You lose 5 points
-If you vote after the second extension: You lose 10 points
-If you vote after the third extension: You lose 15 points
-If you fail to vote, even after three extensions: You lose 20 points
I'm not sure if any of these are in effect.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 am

Post by Xtoxm »

i dont believe we've ever needed an extension since their introduction, so they've never come into play, other than the first one
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 11:20 am

Post by Vi »

In post 62, Xtoxm wrote:i dont believe we've ever needed an extension since their introduction, so they've never come into play, other than the first one
There has been at least one in the past 14 contests. Ultimately the mod went forward with like three ballots that had "errors".
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 am

Post by Xtoxm »

the extension is for when 25%+ of participants don't vote
here is some background reading that may interest you: viewtopic.php?p=11001062#p11001062
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 11:52 am

Post by Song Contest »

However, if those that entered and are accepted do not vote, they will get a 20 point penalty and be banned from entering in the next contest, so please consider that before entering.
Whoopsy daisies, that should've been removed from the rules a while ago. Totally didn't notice that one. Fixed.
In post 61, Vi wrote:
-If you fail to vote and fewer than three extensions are needed: You lose 12 points
-If you vote after the first extension: You lose 5 points
-If you vote after the second extension: You lose 10 points
-If you vote after the third extension: You lose 15 points
-If you fail to vote, even after three extensions: You lose 20 points
I'm not sure if any of these are in effect.
Those ones are in effect, but yeah, I don't believe there's been a case yet where 25% or more of entrants failed to vote by deadline.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Post by Scigatt »

While we're talking about rules, are you ever gonna enforce that 400x400 pic condition?
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 12:03 pm

Post by Song Contest »

In post 66, Scigatt wrote:While we're talking about rules, are you ever gonna enforce that 400x400 pic condition?
eh?
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 67, Song Contest wrote:
In post 66, Scigatt wrote:While we're talking about rules, are you ever gonna enforce that 400x400 pic condition?
eh?
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Do they not get resized? Lol
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
I Have Bad Taste In Music
Watcher
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Post by I Have Bad Taste In Music »

In post 55, Natirasha wrote:I mean I know who more or less everyone is by country but I can't think its ever once come up my rankings. Besides things like panzer and I having somewhat similar tastes so I tend to give him higher points because he submits music I like more often and whatnot.
Hey, I want to make sure I don't accidentally give someone else my 12, do you still submit under Cote D'Ivoire?
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 2:13 pm

Post by Tammy »

Submitted a song I like to run to. Probably right side.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue May 12, 2020 8:13 pm

Post by Cyril »

well anyways rabble
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2020 12:05 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

In post 58, toolenduso wrote:
In post 56, MiniDeathStar wrote:You could just allow autonomous states even if they are de jure subjects of another state? Like Greenland, Åland, and federal republics in Russia like Karelia and Dagestan?
This seems more complicated than I think I'm willing to take on. Adds more research requirements on my end, and might also introduce some new gray areas.
I don't think that's much different from what we already have? Just to be totally clear, I'm not talking about a dropdown menu with *all* autonomous territories in the world. In the event someone enters a Greenland-like country, you could just check on Wikipedia if it's autonomous and has its own government... like Greenland.

Or like, just YOLO and allow it. :p

Or like, stop allowing Greenland. :p

I don't know, it's your choice. I'm just giving my two pennies. :wink:
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2020 1:39 am

Post by Vi »

In post 72, Cyril wrote:well anyways rabble
scrapple - the most appetizing-sounding Yankee dish

Return to “General Discussion”