Newbie 1906 | Fractals | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #600 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:38 am

Post by TTTT »

It's clever but more often hurts town
Scum is likely to find those crumbs
and it probably won't ever be enough to save you from a mislynch bc scum fakes those crumbs all the time
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #601 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:58 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 174, GrandWazoo wrote:There's no VI in this setup is there?
I thought it was this, because I thought he'd written VT there.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #602 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:27 am

Post by Micc »

In post 18, Micc wrote:This is pretty much a Hail Mary but it hits enough of the check marks to maybe give me an outside chance.
He was on the flippynips wagon.
He's not a likely jailkeep or doctor target.
He's not a likely mislynch.
His death doesn't take away from the pool of "experienced players" that I need to hide in.
He's possibly dangerous to me considering my push on him and that I ignored his comments while jumping ship to bus.
Here's what I wrote in the mafia thread about the nightkill choice. It didn't feel like I could afford to go PR hunting - more so that I needed the person who I wanted to kill to happen to be a PR. That plan worked, but unfortunately for me nothing else did. I did not pick up on 36.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #603 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:28 am

Post by GrandWazoo »

Yep. I also referenced "Lurk And Win" which isn't a term I've seen used. My crumb game needs work lol.
Alonzo
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #604 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:41 am

Post by Alonzo »

...bit dissapointing FF didn't rip anyone head off haha =)
YellowSnow
YellowSnow
Goon
YellowSnow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #605 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:26 am

Post by YellowSnow »

Good game everyone. I kinda felt like Micc might be scum but I felt like there needed to be an opposing voice in case he wasn't.
Alonzo
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #606 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Post by Alonzo »

Next time you play with him Yellow, tunnel FF. He loves it.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #607 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 595, Nikk wrote:Why is it there are sometimes timeframes and sometimes people just cut in line? Seems counterproductive.
It depends on how you play the game. The need for almost parliamentary rules regarding hammers is due to people who think that they are above playing on a team.

Giving intent to hammer puts everyone on notice that shit is about to go down. Micc had 24hrs to do something and made a choice not to. We could wait out those 24hrs or we could realize that he made his play and it was time to move forward.

There are some players on site who hammer anyone who gets to l-1 as a way to allow scummy play at later points. Some just lolhammer because they think it's fun. Scum can hammer to prevent town from getting any info out during day end/twilight.

I know that as scum I am Johnny on the spot with making sure the mod knows a Lynch has occured in hopes they lock the thread quickly. Again depriving town the ability to talk as much as possible.

Long story short: if you want to be a better player give intent and allow players to play. If you wanna do your own thing than hammer away. It's all in the game.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #608 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:43 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Spoiler:
In post 596, Micc wrote:Yeah this didn’t go well. Not bussing early enough has been a weakness of mine in the past. Here I think my timing was good enough but getting to it from my earlier stances was never going to be natural. Hitting the cop with the nightkill was encouraging but there was still a lot of work to do. Perhaps I could have obv-town’d a little and driven some mislynches with a constant presence, but definitely not while out on vacation. Alonzo being the tracker clear was the nail in the coffin.

Town play this game was strong overall. My hope is to break that down into a review of sorts for each of you, but please know that I’m lazy and historically only bat around .500 on making that happen. If there’s particular things you’d like me to comment on or questions you have let me know and I’ll make sure to address them.

Thanks to Plotinus for a great job moderating. I’m ok for the mafia PT to be released.

Why'd you gun for me?
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #609 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:43 pm

Post by Formerfish »

I don't usually participate much in post games. I'm not sure why. I'm here if anyone wants to talk.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #610 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 604, Alonzo wrote:...bit dissapointing FF didn't rip anyone head off haha =)
I don't play that way on purpose or all the time. Usually I act as a lightening rod for angry scum players. Micc knows better than to approach me in that way because he's modded enough games where I've taken that role on and lynched my way to victory through them.

I like playing like this more, but feel like I have less of a handle on what's going on because I'm on the periphery of things and not directly involved.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #611 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 605, YellowSnow wrote:Good game everyone. I kinda felt like Micc might be scum but I felt like there needed to be an opposing voice in case he wasn't.
That seems like an odd reason to play devil's advocate. Especially when you are so dead set in your opinion of the person you're pushing that you ignore scummy behavior in other players because you've already caught the last scum.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #612 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 606, Alonzo wrote:Next time you play with him Yellow, tunnel FF. He loves it.
Shut up you muppet.

:giggle:
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #613 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Post by Micc »

In post 608, Formerfish wrote:
Spoiler:
In post 596, Micc wrote:Yeah this didn’t go well. Not bussing early enough has been a weakness of mine in the past. Here I think my timing was good enough but getting to it from my earlier stances was never going to be natural. Hitting the cop with the nightkill was encouraging but there was still a lot of work to do. Perhaps I could have obv-town’d a little and driven some mislynches with a constant presence, but definitely not while out on vacation. Alonzo being the tracker clear was the nail in the coffin.

Town play this game was strong overall. My hope is to break that down into a review of sorts for each of you, but please know that I’m lazy and historically only bat around .500 on making that happen. If there’s particular things you’d like me to comment on or questions you have let me know and I’ll make sure to address them.

Thanks to Plotinus for a great job moderating. I’m ok for the mafia PT to be released.

Why'd you gun for me?
I had to gun for somebody. Alonzo obviously didn't work very well and I wanted to save Child for later when the numbers got tight. The pool of potential targets was just too small.

I was excited to finally play a game with you until I rolled scum.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #614 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 613, Micc wrote:
In post 608, Formerfish wrote:
Spoiler:

Why'd you gun for me?
I had to gun for somebody. Alonzo obviously didn't work very well and I wanted to save Child for later when the numbers got tight. The pool of potential targets was just too small.

I was excited to finally play a game with you until I rolled scum.
That's how scum usually feel when they see me in a game :D
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Nikk
Nikk
Goon
Nikk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #615 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Post by Nikk »

In post 597, Micc wrote:
In post 595, Nikk wrote:Sooo... I still have confusion on calling hammer and how it works, but as I'm at work I can't really post too much on it. Long story short...

Why is it there are sometimes timeframes and sometimes people just cut in line? Seems counterproductive.
This game wasn’t a good example of how the process usually goes down. In general you can expect the person to claim when they go to L-1 or when someone declares that they intend to hammer. From there people either jump off or the hammer happens. When a timeframe is given that’s usually just an indication of how long the L-1 player is being given to respond before they are hammered regardless of their lack of claim. Note that hammering without a claim is extremely dangerous as hitting a town PR is nearly impossible to come back from. Many players will pursue policy lynches against players who unexpectedly hammer without a claim.

The process tends to fall apart in the game’s later stages. For example no one felt the need to wait for me to claim since all the PR slots were accounted for.

I hope that explination helps.
Thanks!

I think I was misinterpreting the timeframe as a deadline until the hammer fell for all to weigh in , not a deadline to respond. Makes sense now.
Nikk
Nikk
Goon
Nikk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #616 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Post by Nikk »

I am also very not used to these extended timeframes. Was my posting style a hinderence to town discussion by sometimes flooding the thread? Was it good? With the super long days it's hard to tell. I am used to playing 48/24 or 24/0 day/night phases.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #617 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Post by Plotinus »

In post 616, Nikk wrote:I am also very not used to these extended timeframes. Was my posting style a hinderence to town discussion by sometimes flooding the thread? Was it good? With the super long days it's hard to tell. I am used to playing 48/24 or 24/0 day/night phases.
I think you hit the balance pretty well. A good rule of thumb is that if you have fewer posts than the mod, then you should post more often (since I'm only posting once or twice per page, a vote count + maybe prodding someone). If you have more posts than anybody else, then you might be flooding a bit too much and you should probably take a break to see who steps up to fill in the space you leave. I think it's pretty normal though to have a style where you show up for a little while each day then go off and live your life while more posts are accumulating; in a game that may take a month to play you can't put your offline life on hold for that long.

It didn't really come up much in this game because activity was pretty good and nobody had to be replaced but I think there are basically two in-game reasons for replacements (and a bunch of non game related ones, like getting sick or something) -- one is that nothing is happening in the game and people get bored, the other is that too much is happening in the game and the person can't keep up with 40 pages a day of reading.

I think everyone has either tendencies to be too quiet or tendencies to be too noisy, so we all have something to work on, but the activity overview at the bottom right of the page can be sorted by how many posts you have and you can use that as a guide. It's good to be in the middle.

Alonzo
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #618 (ISO) » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Post by Alonzo »

Love the way I was targeted by Both PR's lol

Thanks guys, glad I came across really town in this one =)
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #619 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:22 am

Post by Plotinus »

Released scum PT: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=78047

GrandWazoo
GrandWazoo
Goon
GrandWazoo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #620 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:39 am

Post by GrandWazoo »

In post 618, Alonzo wrote:Love the way I was targeted by Both PR's lol

Something to put on your resume!
I copped you basically because I nullread you and spent about 30 seconds deciding. At the time I thought we night have a short N1 and just wanted to submit my action before I forgot. Not that it mattered...
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #621 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:38 am

Post by TTTT »

Alonzo- did you pick up that I had an inno you?
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #622 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:53 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 618, Alonzo wrote:Love the way I was targeted by Both PR's lol

It wasn't that you looked scummy. More that I thought I'd have a hard time sorting you in late game.
Alonzo
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Alonzo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #623 (ISO) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:50 am

Post by Alonzo »

In post 621, TTTT wrote:Alonzo- did you pick up that I had an inno you?
Not via a breadcrumb no, Just read it as two townreads working together. I guess I was expecting a barrage of inquisition into hammering D1, In hindsight the fact that never happened was probably the tell I missed!
YellowSnow
YellowSnow
Goon
YellowSnow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #624 (ISO) » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:16 am

Post by YellowSnow »

In post 611, Formerfish wrote:
In post 605, YellowSnow wrote:Good game everyone. I kinda felt like Micc might be scum but I felt like there needed to be an opposing voice in case he wasn't.
That seems like an odd reason to play devil's advocate. Especially when you are so dead set in your opinion of the person you're pushing that you ignore scummy behavior in other players because you've already caught the last scum.
I wasn't ignoring Micc. Like I said, he would have been my preferred day 3 lynch. There's a differece in being "dead set" in your opinion and holding a strong enough opinion that you feel it's worthy of discussion/convincing others.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”