Song Contest 154 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Post by PJ. »

That Blu & Exile album is actually pre-2010s. That was weirdly one of the first albums that college showed me.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Post by PJ. »

Imma try to write or talk or sokething about this contest.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:36 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Spoiler: @Nati
In post 72, Natirasha wrote:Seleucid Kingdom(Malinda Kathleen Rose)--AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm going to take this as a positive "AAAAAAAAAAetc" unless otherwise specified.

Also I'm a big fan of "white people sad ballad" lol
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

In post 72, Natirasha wrote:
Spoiler:
Bulgaria(Kristian Kostov)--white people sad ballads are still white people sad ballads when sung by asian people.
Spoiler:
He's European :D
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 am

Post by Natirasha »

In post 78, CaptainMeme wrote:
In post 72, Natirasha wrote:
Spoiler:
Bulgaria(Kristian Kostov)--white people sad ballads are still white people sad ballads when sung by asian people.
Spoiler:
He's European :D
Asian diaspora, then.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:31 am

Post by The Bulge »

my top 3 have been pretty solidly in my rotation this past week
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Post by AGar »

oh yeah I need to do this tomorrow
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: As Coroner, I thoroughly examined her, and she's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead
Macau - The Marías - Basta Ya: Mmm listen to that hella funky guitar. I like it. Nice groove here. Yes, I am enjoying this one. It's got a lazy flow to it but it's got some subtle creativity to it. It's got layers. It's fun. I dig it. One of my faves so far. DECENT.

Bulgaria - Kristian Kostov - Beautiful Mess: He sings quite beautifully and I am jealous of the tone he is able to achieve. I also appreciate those strings as backing instruments creating a much more unique backing than a song like this usually goes for. Structurally it's pretty damn generic, but honestly it's getting points for sounding this good live, and largely for the singing. Oh shit it's a Eurovision song! Damn, I really wish I'd known about that before committing to another song for Idol......welp, whatever. I like this one even if it's quite thin in some respects. DECENT.

Kingdom of Crickets Outside PEG's Window - Official Hige Dandism - Fire Ground: Digging this guitar player's style. Yeah, I like the energy and playfulness of this song. It's pretty good. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it doesn't need to be. I think I'm gonna have a hard time ranking the songs this contest because this is the way I felt about a lot of them. I liked them, but they aren't things that jump out as being special. They're not the kinds of songs I immediately throw on my all-time song contest youtube playlist, ya know. DECENT.

East African Federation - Elza Soares - A Mulher Do Fim Do Mundo: Huh. Very interesting, somehow both melancholy and lively. Very changeable. Liking the strings in this a lot. Singer is...strange. But very raw, which is cool. This was pretty good and will get points. DECENT.

Egypt - Maurice Ravel - Rapsodie Espagnole (4. Feria): Ah, some classical shit. Reminding a bit of Tchaikovsky, not that my frame of reference for classical music includes that many composers, but w/e. Gets a bit ~spookier~ later on. Some very difficult-sounding parts for instruments...woodwind flourishes, super fast trumpety bits, etc. I am picturing this translating very well as an instrumental metal cover. Yeah, I do like this, the different sections are very dramatically different from each other, which is kind of hard for me to swallow, but I like them in isolation. DECENT.

Ireland - Electrelane - The Valleys: Some repetitive, faux-retro electronicky stuff. Simultaneously drawing on 70s easy listening, hippie shit and doo wop. An odd blend. It works though. If I were to cut off the contest right here this would get high points simply for creativity. We'll see how the rest of the contest shakes out. DECENT.

Greece - Nerina Pallot - Love Will Tear Us Apart: OK, it's pretty. Nice building and falling, nice interplay between piano and voice. I am enjoying this. It's simple, but it's done well, ya know? DECENT.

Canada - Teyana Taylor - Gonna Love Me: A sweet and simple song with a better than average acoustic guitar part and goodish singing. DECENT.

Anguilla - Blu & Exile - First Things First (feat. Miguel): I kinda like this. Not the chorus so much though. But there is good rappin happenin. That sloppy but fast beat is nice. Yeah, I like this, it'll get some points. DECENT.

USA - sumika - fiction: Hm. It's got a fun beat. I like the chorus. But I'm just not seeing a lot here...like, not a lot of depth, I guess I'm trying to say. I mean, I kind of like it. I just don't like it as much as the last one, or some of the ones before it. But it's got a good chance of getting some points from me, I'd say. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:01 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: votes are due at midnight Pacific time tonight!
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:15 am

Post by Plotinus »

special mention to Macau, whose song I liked, but they are in 11th place
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:29 am

Post by Errantparabola »

songs i saved

12 - llanowar
10 - armenia
8 - usa
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:07 am

Post by PJ. »

https://vocaroo.com/c6omgatfVBh

22 minutes ugh, and I had alreadsy listened to the songs (((((((((((((
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:08 am

Post by PJ. »

@ep, please put me in the waaaay back of the voice queue w/ that as my submission. also highly recommend not listening to the whole thing cause i'm a rambling man. the worst kind of man.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Post by tris »

i hate ranking things, lol
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Post by tris »

see i'm already changing my mind
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

I had no time to do the second pass so my votes this time are not accurate. Top 3 on my list is still good for me though.

Spoiler: My Entry
The Philippines - ClariS - border

To be honest, there are a wide number of song choices I can submit for this duo, who is really the first artist I followed in the anime subculture. I chose this song because it really stands out to me (especially that end chorus) and I don't want to submit the usual suspects like Connect or Colorful because anyone who knows anime should have already heard about those
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:28 pm

Post by PJ. »

< knows anime

< does not know either of those songs.
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

Whatever LOL

I might have had that assumption because my name is Tatsuya Kaname but ehh..
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

I'm gonna do a memey submission next contest (the song itself isn't necessary a meme, I think).

caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Post by caledfwitch »

just voted! here are some Thots about some songs:

all the metal songs - to be honest i am not into like metal and some of these songs were pretty boring white men growling along to death metal riffs and stuff. i did not give points to any of those songs.
egypt - i did not give this any points but whoever submitted ravel to song contest is big brain. it takes courage to submit classical music to song contest
ankh-morpork - i also did not give this any points but the ocremix thing took me BACK. i think ocremix mafia was the first theme game i ever played on this site (i did terribly LOL)
bulgaria - this was one of my more liked ones and it was almost exclusively because of the erhu backing strings. i demand that more chinese traditional instruments be included in pop tracks
hungary - this track started out really good and then i listened to the rest of the song and was disappointed. no points but i was sad to do so
usa - idk whats up with like japanese ska bands but this music vid RULED. what a great video i gave it points honestly on that merit mostly
germany - this is a good orchestra but honestly i am zzzzz when it comes to Epique Sounding Game Soundtrack. its alright but doesnt take any musical risques
anguilla - i think i liked this generally! i can fux with a soundcloud rapper or two
east african federation - this song took me a while to digest HOWEVER it was very good. if this is not on your points list you do not have TASTE
hinamizawa - i thought i would like this more because of the artist and feature list but i was disappointed when it was not what i expected. i am sad
canada - very nice. i enjoy a good song with a wailing lady (i made a whole playlist with winny mj parent erabola of songs that just have ladies wailing sadly)
kingdom of crickets outside peg's window - similarly to usa i also enjoyed this music video a lot. on a tangent what is up with japanese ska band boys and the bieb's haircut from 2012. the swoop
llanowar - honestly this track is probably the best one. what a great animal crossing remix

HOWEVER of course here are my own thots about my own track (macau): i greatly enjoy relaxing and funky songs that are repetitive cause i enjoy patterns very much. i have listened to this song probably like 200 times unironically it is so good and maria's voice is very soothing and also JUST A LITTLE sexey. i do acknowledge that the drummer is ugly as fuck and looks like he dm's teenage girls on instagram like "oh you're so mature for your age!" however i will concede that he does a good backing beat
must i have a gender.. is it not enough for me to simply b kinda hot sometimes

2x mafiascum member of the month !! wowowowee !!!
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Post by caledfwitch »

ok well i voted before 12 am. i went to go dye my hair tho and when i came back to finish this it was like 1 am LOL

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Post by PJ. »

Deadline is fake. It's just literally "before tool wakes up on day after deadline"
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Post by caledfwitch »

pj with all due respect norcal is on fire rn. tool might wake up in the middle of the night from a nightmare about fire and be like "oh well since im awake time to post song contest results" i cant take risks

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Post by PJ. »

Fire in August? Rough, it's normal October =(
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:46 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

This is probably the worst contest since 147.
"Don't be afraid of losing people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone."

"If you're bored contemplate the fact that the collective reads of n players in a n-player game of Mafia define a set of vectors in an n-space, and useful game information can be extracted from this."
~Rectiplanes

Return to “General Discussion”