Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #800 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:03 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I think you mean, unfair BY the scum....
Retired as of October 2014.
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #801 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:07 am

Post by Puzzle »

Mr. Flay wrote:I think you mean, unfair BY the scum....
Communicating during day is not such an advantage.
Having 50 people looking for your mistakes, impartially, with no motivation of trying to mislead the town, instead of 10-15 makes any misstep much more likely to be spotted.
That said, my main grief here is that the thread would quickly be uncontrollable to the point of having to stop. It's a bit like 30+ games : nice in theory, unapplicable in practice.
For now, I'll ask Thoth to come up with reasons why I should be voting for him, and I'd like him to respond to those.
Commodore Amazing
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #802 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:47 pm

Post by Twomz »

Ok, so the "anyone who wants to can post" thing isn't really a good idea... but, here's another one that could become a good specialty game (i don't think it's too crazy... TOO crazy)

Cube Mafia. Based off the movie. The thing is... i'm still working on the set up... as in, the SET UP not the ROLES... I imagine it will take a lot of time and work (and maybe a math degree) to finish, and i'd like to know if anyone is interested in helping me. If so, we can communicate via PM's or IM to design the game. This isn't a first come first serve thing... it's a who has the time and would really like to make this work (oh boy is it going to take some work).

Also, i'm not sure what website i'll try to do it on... it'll probably be here... but i want to at least get a good solid start on it before i sign up (then i'll have... what, 6 months to get it ready ;)). Please respond via PM if you're interested.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
stark
stark
commie scum
stark
commie scum
commie scum

Post Post #803 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:22 am

Post by stark »

Has anyone considered an
American Gods
Mafia, based on the book by Neil Gaiman?
Alexander
Alexander
Goon
Alexander
Goon
Goon

Post Post #804 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:42 am

Post by Alexander »

Here's an idea: THE MOLE MAFIA. This is essentially "The Mole" meets Mafiascum, and this is how it works:

1. The day is divided into two parts: Problem-solving stage, and voting stage.
2. In the second stage, everyone votes by PM to the moderator. Discussions in-thread may take place, but only the PM'ed vote counts.
3. Only the vote tally is published, not who's voting for whom.
4. The problem-solving stage is where things get interesting: During the day, the town as a team is given tasks to perform and problems to solve. The mafia, of course, are trying to seem helpful, yet, in a subtle way, make the town fail.
5. The better the town does in the tasks, the less votes the mafia will have in the voting stage.
- town did great? One or two Mafioso's lose their vote.
- town did so-so? Mafia get normal votes.
- town did poorly? One or two Mafiosos get an extra vote.
6. The cycle of "problem-solving stage"->"voting stage"->"night" continues until one side wins.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #805 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:17 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

If the town did great, wouldn't that essentially give them scum though. I mean, there's nothing stopping the players from claiming their votes. If everyone agrees to vote for the person above them on the list, the town nabs one or two scum immediately.

I think it's a good idea, but I think you need to do something else reward-wise.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #806 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:15 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Twomz wrote:Ok, so the "anyone who wants to can post" thing isn't really a good idea... but, here's another one that could become a good specialty game (i don't think it's too crazy... TOO crazy)
Heh...well, you could offer a certain number of spectator seats. If anyone watching the game wanted to participate, have them PM you, and then you'll give them a "ticket" to watch and post whatever they want, but only if they PM'd you for a ticket, and only up to, say, 15 people. People can join as spectators at any time in the game, even into the endgame, but only if all the "seats" have not already been sold. If no one want to participate, fine; if 15 people join randomally throughout the course of the game, that'd be fine too, or if all 15 seats get "sold" before the game even starts, that would work as well.

And perhaps have a few roles in the game who can kill any spectators who get too annoying/ who appear to be too preceptive. :twisted:
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #807 (ISO) » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:44 pm

Post by Twomz »

Lol, the spectator SK... :evil: Limiting the number of people that can "spectate" does seem like a good idea. I was just throwing an idea out there... if someone else thinks it will work, we could start planning it. But, i'm pretty bogged down right now, so it'll be a while.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Passdog
Passdog
Goon
Passdog
Goon
Goon

Post Post #808 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:05 am

Post by Passdog »

I don't know if anyone was truly interested (didn't get much in te way o a response) but I went ahead and wrote up all the characters for The Goonies themed mafia,

Story backdrop (for those crazies who haven't seen the best movie of all time: The Goonies):

The Goonies are a bunch of Kids whose homes are at risk of being demolished and turned into a country club. The papers authorising the construction are mere days from being signed when the Goonies find an old treasure map and decide to find the treasure of One Eyed Willy to save their homes. On the way they accidently discover the Fratelli's secret counterfeiting operation and are forced to flee into the tunnels leading to the treasure as the Fratelli's chase them along. Eventually All of the parties congregate in the one tunnel when everyones lights simultaneous blow out. Each of the players is a mere sihlouette in the dark and no one knows who to trust. The Goonies must figure out who the Fratelli's are before they kill them all all the while avoiding the booby traps One Eyed Willy left behind to guard his treasure.

That intro will be thematically constructed for the introduction of the game but that is the general gist. I was just wondering would anyone like to critique my characters (and idea in general) for me? If so I'll PM youwhat I've got. It might be nice if that (or one of those) person(s) was also able to play back up mod for me.

When I get some feedback I think I'll put my name down to run a themed mini.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #809 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Passdog, in the interest of getting yourself onto one of the longest waiting lists around, you may want to get in the mini theme moderation queue
now
; you'll have a couple of months, probably, to finalize your game, and if you're not ready you can bump down a couple of slots.
HairyCarey
HairyCarey
Townie
HairyCarey
Townie
Townie

Post Post #810 (ISO) » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:43 am

Post by HairyCarey »

Ooh, I got a couple of ideas... too bad I'm a very new noob.

Revels Mafia

Those scummy coffees!

Lovecraft Mafia!

Order of Dagon = Mafia, Deep One = Godfather, Herbert West- Reanimater = Doctor, any number of investigaters/curious farmers who found aliens = cops - it's the perfect setting for Mafia!
www.hipforums.com - the coolest there is
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #811 (ISO) » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:42 am

Post by Fiasco »

That reminds me... I still have the setup for a World of Lovecraft mafia somewhere, almost in other-human-readable format. (Use "all posts by Fiasco" to find my other post in this thread.) It's a big theme game, probably too big at 34. I'll probably never get around to running it, so don't let this stop you from starting your own Lovecraft game -- also, if I'm convinced enough that someone else will get around to it and I won't, I'll let them steal my ideas. (Remind me!)
it's the perfect setting for Mafia
I agree. Craft Love, Not War! :)
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
bertrand
bertrand
Goon
bertrand
Goon
Goon

Post Post #812 (ISO) » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 pm

Post by bertrand »

I need somebody to review and balance an odd setup for a Garfield (the cat) mafia.. anyone willing to help?
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #813 (ISO) » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:16 pm

Post by Twomz »

@ HC + Fia: I was in the "Dunwich Horror" mafia game on News a while back (a Lovecraft book). It was great, except my out of character role... that got me lynched Day 1.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #814 (ISO) » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:00 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I think I'd rather play than review a Lovecraft mafia game, sorry...
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #815 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:16 am

Post by Tamuz »

Uhh... has there never been an Ender's game mafia. I tried looking for one, but couldn't find one.

Wow, we need one!
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #816 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:35 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

Just a test, based on title, which would you rather play: Sesame Street Mafia or Hotel Mafia?
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #817 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:38 am

Post by Seol »

Hotel Mafia? Explain.

Sesame Street Mafia sounds pretty cool, and I bet I know who'd enjoy
that
one immensely...
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #818 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:39 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Seol wrote:Hotel Mafia? Explain.

Sesame Street Mafia sounds pretty cool, and I bet I know who'd enjoy
that
one immensely...
oh yeah baby.

i wanna be the big bird. :D
hey, a sig!
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #819 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:40 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

Hotel Mafia? Explain.
I don't want to explain too much right now, but the premise is that everyone is a Hotel manager who tries to lynch other hotel managers in the mafia while staying in other people's hotels at night. The night is also divided into two phases.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #820 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:47 am

Post by Seol »

Mechanical variations? Cool.

12-man or full-size?
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #821 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:55 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

full size
TBuG
TBuG
they/them
I win
TBuG
they/them
I win
I win
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #822 (ISO) » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:25 am

Post by TBuG »

I'm currently developing a Kingdom Hearts Mini Mafia.
rolandofthewhite (5:40:28 PM): It would be weird living with Thesp. All the hookers murdered and skin lying around. :(
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #823 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:13 am

Post by Norinel »

Would anyone play a blind vanilla game? Has anyone claimed The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny?

Those questions may or may not be related.
TBuG
TBuG
they/them
I win
TBuG
they/them
I win
I win
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #824 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:14 pm

Post by TBuG »

Yes, and not as far as I know.
rolandofthewhite (5:40:28 PM): It would be weird living with Thesp. All the hookers murdered and skin lying around. :(

Return to “Mafia Discussion”