Spolium
Spolium
Goon
Spolium
Goon
Goon

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Post by Spolium »

Were I to play ROAE knowing what I know, I'd be getting the hitman to claim as early on as possible. It's pretty clear that the hitman revealing himself was the second worst thing that could've happened to scum (him getting lynched was the worst), so you should probably consider shaking that role up a bit.
ChiefSkye4
ChiefSkye4
Goon
ChiefSkye4
Goon
Goon

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Post by ChiefSkye4 »

Maybe cheaper items at the hitman shop. Obviously, that didn't apply to me, but I think it would have been interesting to see those things implemented in play.
Jazzmyn
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Post by Jazzmyn »

Fabulous game mechanic, that!

On Day 1 when it looked like Gateway was going to get lynched, I was panicking because I needed him to use my vigging/bidding/killing role. When I saw sekinj falling on her sword for him, I thought that she was my counterpart re: the bidding for the services of the hired killer, so I had to argue strongly in favour of her as scum in order to save Gateway. I was thrilled, to say the least, when she got lynched instead of Gateway, but I was confused when she flipped town.

Thanks, sekinj!

Spolium, I had pegged as uber-scum, thus my Night 1 choice. I assumed that the bad guys had the same amount of money as me, though (but it turns out they had 2.5 times as much as me! Wowsa!) so I was trying to choose a number that would outbid them but still leave me enough for at least one more vig attempt on another night if I survived that long.

ChiefSkye, I actually thought he was town and I thought that Gateway wouldn't kill him if Gateway was really aligned with the scum, since he had misrepresented some things and had put himself in a position in which he would be lynched if he killed a townie. So, when ChiefSkye flipped scum, too, I was a bit surprised.

I didn't intend to hammer Gateway - that was accidental, due partly to me not being up to date on the number of votes and due partly to a non-player (who later turned out to be an alt) voting. I've never been in a game where a non-player's vote (even if by an alt) counted for anything. My intention was to voice my displeasure with Gateway for him lying when he said that I got "confirmed scum" every night and that therefore, I was simply bidding against someone else, and for his lying previously about him getting a 100% confirmed town every night and a 100% confirmed scum every night. I fully intended to do what I could to keep him alive for one more day, hopefully get him to come clean with some of the stuff about his role (not everything, as obviously he had to have a separate win condition than the town) and get as much discussion out there as possible, but that obviously didn't happen.

I also thought that SSK and Verbosity were scum. So, it looks like I would have turned out being 3 for 4, even if accidentally. :)

But if it wasn't for Gateway choosing to take my lower bid on Night 1 and killing Spolium, we would have been in a very different position. Then, as it turns out, the scum didn't send in a bid on Night 2, so that meant Gateway had no choice but to accept my offer. Things could have been very different, indeed, if SSK wasn't such a chronically scummy lurker and if either of the remaining scum had sent in an offer/kill request on Night 2, and I think that Gateway really deserves a LOT of credit for this Town win!

Anyway, that was a blast! Thanks to all for a fun game, and a big thank you to Battousai for a great mechanic, a fun theme, and for moderating.

Regards,
Jazz
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

I completely forgot that I had voted for mafiassk. Oh well!

Indeed an interesting game mechanic, and well done jazzmyn.
Also gateway for choosing to go with the town both nights.

I remember the letters MAF but just assumed this was confirming the kill was done by the MAFia! If it has be CHE or something else I'm sure it would have clicked.

anyway go town.
Don't ask me to provide self meta
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Post by Battousai »

I had two expensive items (so expensive hitman can't buy both) were to bait the hitman into taking the most expensive offers and to hoard his money or to buy the cheaper items to help the town. Really, the shop was experimental and could really be balanced through experience (price of items, how much money scum/vig got).
sekinj
sekinj
Mafia Scum
sekinj
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Post by sekinj »

ThAdmiral wrote:Indeed an interesting game mechanic, and well done jazzmyn.
and me? for getting Gateway past d1....

I know self-voting sticks in the craw of a lot of good townies, but I certainly feel justified in this game!
Show
-sekinj

To Do:
├óÔé¼┬ó [s]Find a job[/s]
├óÔé¼┬ó [s]Find an apartment[/s]
├óÔé¼┬ó Pack
├óÔé¼┬ó Move
Archon
Archon
Goon
Archon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Post by Archon »

sekinj wrote:

I know self-voting sticks in the craw of a lot of good townies, but I certainly feel justified in this game!
Yay for the cat in the clouds!
Now modding Vengeful Mafia
pronounced ark-on
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Post by PJ. »

In all honesty.. no.

If mafia would have been revealed each time they got a kill, i'd of been ok with that.

And Jazz is the obv MVP. she picked scum correctly 2 nights in a row. Not even obvious scum.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Azhrei
Azhrei
Goon
Azhrei
Goon
Goon

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Post by Azhrei »

I just read all the roles, and this is a really good setup. Problem is, I don't know how well it'd work with players who knew it. Give it a go anyway Bat :P

Good job to everyone, too. That was damn freaky set of circumstances.
"He was cooler than Samuel L. Jackson on dope" - Raccon
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Post by PJ. »

Azhrei wrote:I just read all the roles, and this is a really good setup. Problem is, I don't know how well it'd work with players who knew it. Give it a go anyway Bat :P

Good job to everyone, too. That was damn freaky set of circumstances.
IDK if it was that good...cause like you said..Mafia could opt to kill and the shop keeper could send in a shitty name and since it's only a ten percent chance that they leave evidence. And they have 3 members to leave evidence with. So Night 1 Jazz sends in not scum and mafia kills someone
that leaves 5-1-3 or 6-1-3 depending on whether there was a lynch day 1. Day 2, if the hitman claimed, town would prolly lynch the hitman. so it would be 5-3, 4-1-3,or 5-1-3 if we assume either a no lynch or mislynch occured. Day 3 could be anywhere from 4-3 to 2-1-3. In other words, it could be quite swingy. Basically the shopkeeper is a super weak vig. Not to mention if the shopkeeper gets lynched day 1, the hitman basically is an extra mafiate.
Spolium
Spolium
Goon
Spolium
Goon
Goon

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Post by Spolium »

Jazzmyn wrote:Spolium, I had pegged as uber-scum, thus my Night 1 choice. I assumed that the bad guys had the same amount of money as me, though (but it turns out they had 2.5 times as much as me! Wowsa!)
Actually, this brings to mind something which could be interesting in a similar setup. Gateway assumed scum would bid more, but Jazz said that she was actually aiming high while trying to conserve (it seems likely, therefore, that she would've bid much higher if she had more).

It would make sense for both shopkeeper and scum to have equal amounts of money to start with so the town/scum divide is not so clear cut to the hitman/survivor, who - let's face it - wants TOWN to win.
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:16 am

Post by Battousai »

The shopkeeper wasn't meant to be really a vig, but more of a roleblocker than anything. To balance out if the hitman always picked the shopkeeper's offer, I gave the scum more money to bid with so when the shopkeeper got low on cash, the mafia would have plenty. Then to make sure the mafia would use this role, I gave them a 10% revealment aspect. I mean 10% isn't alot, but if your down to the last mafia left, that's taking a chance.

If I run this setup again, the game will definately be altered a lot. I'm going to have to work on it with this data to see if it would be feesible.
Gateway
Gateway
Goon
Gateway
Goon
Goon

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Post by Gateway »

Battousai wrote:
Mod Notes:

On D1, I was worried that the main mechanic would be lynched. That would have really altered how the game would be played (essentially 8 townies v 3 scum with the scum possibly outting themselves).

Then Gateway essentially fakeclaimed a role (I think, he might have misunderstood his role) based off of his own.

Jazz.... You almost broke my game lol. After you targetted Chiefskye4, I went back to your role pm to make sure I didn't give you the names of the scum by mistake lol.

After Chiefskye4 and and Spolium were killed, MafiaSSK had to make a kill by himself without Gateway. And of unfortunately for him, I rolled a 2 out of a hundred which means he left behind some incriminating evidence (if I would have rolled higher than a 2, but lower than 11 more letters of his name would have been revealed). Fortunately for him, though, no one noticed it in the death scene. What was left behind was the letters M, A, F (the first three letters in mafiassk) in blood. If you go to look at it now, you will notice I accidentally deleted the post and had to replace it. I was expecting someone to mention it and Mafiassk to claim there is a framer role.
I understood my role, this was one of my first games and I ran in hectic (my most recent games you will see more thought and reasoning in the posts)
I knew I only got two offers and was going down, so I lied to the town and made up the rule on one is town and one is mafia.

Add to that, Mafia games are made with the scum having a kill available somehow right, so they had to have enough money to keep the offers going. I assumed the town would have far less and always took the weaker offer.

This was a great game and I feel it helped out my play greatly. Panzer you have a far stronger grasp of logic then I do. So if you could peek at my most current game and the manor of my posts, I would accept any criticism that helps me be more clear and structured. viewtopic.php?t=11252
Gateway
Gateway
Goon
Gateway
Goon
Goon

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Post by Gateway »

Add to that, why did I get no offer day two?
I assumed the scum wanted to make me look bad when I had no names (which is why I just made one up)
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #589 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Post by Battousai »

They missed the deadline to send in an offer.
ChiefSkye4
ChiefSkye4
Goon
ChiefSkye4
Goon
Goon

Post Post #590 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Post by ChiefSkye4 »

Haha, we didn't send anything before deadline. Just numbskulled-ness on my/our part, really. : /
Jazzmyn
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #591 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:06 pm

Post by Jazzmyn »

Gateway wrote:This was a great game and I feel it helped out my play greatly.
I think you did a great job, Gateway, and as I said in my prior post above, you deserve a lot of credit for the Town win.
Gateway wrote:I assumed the scum wanted to make me look bad when I had no names (which is why I just made one up)
And I'm glad it was my name that you made up on Day 3; that was helpful, too. :)

Regards,
Jazz
Gateway
Gateway
Goon
Gateway
Goon
Goon

Post Post #592 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by Gateway »

sekinj wrote:

Going to remember this self-vote so I can quote how it really won this for us.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #593 (ISO) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Post by PJ. »

...How did he get credit for a town win? He never had to work to pick scum and he didn't choose who the scum was. Also he outted himself immediately and another player had to sacrifice her self putting you(jazz) in a situation where you HAD to send in a scum name or we'd be down two townies and a way to stop scum kills.

In otherwords, Gateways role was good and he's getting credit for jazz's awesome scumhunting
sekinj
sekinj
Mafia Scum
sekinj
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #594 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:55 am

Post by sekinj »

I think gateway's play has improved if you look at the game he linked.
Show
-sekinj

To Do:
├óÔé¼┬ó [s]Find a job[/s]
├óÔé¼┬ó [s]Find an apartment[/s]
├óÔé¼┬ó Pack
├óÔé¼┬ó Move
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish