Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

MtG: Parallel Universe Mafia (Tar's subgame): Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:08 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

MtG: Parallel Universe Mafia

Time Spiral Subgame

How... unsurprising. Dominaria is such a battered plane already... the Brother's War, the Invasion, the overlay of Rath, the Mirari, Karona, and now the rifts... so what's all that new about another apocalypse?

But the threat to Dominaria this time is... different. This time, it's a person. Or persons. Or even... things.

But then, it doesn't really matter to you what exactly the threat is. If you don't stop it, you die... so you might as well at least try to stop this new threat... before it stops you.

Primary Moderator:
Tarhalindur
Secondary Moderators:
Lord Gurgi, forbiddanlight, MafiaSSK

Subgame Stage:
Day 5

On the Battlefield
In Play:

2) veerus, Jhoira of the Ghitu, Townie Communicator, Survived
10) animorpherv1 (rep. Mastin), Mistform Ultimus, Townie Shapeshifter (post restricted), Survived
23) Boxman, Ertai, Wizard Adept, Townie FBI Agent, Survived

In the Graveyard:

1) Kinetic, Nicol Bolas, Nicol Bolas (modified Serial Killer), Destroyed Night 1

11) Vino, Saffi Eriksdotter, Townie Slider Doctor, Lynched Day 2
27) Looker (rep. ZazieR), Sakashima the Impostor, Townie Limited Doctor (originally Townie Copycat), Destroyed Night 3

6) malthusis, Telekinetic Sliver, Time Spiral Mafia Sliver Redirector, lynched Day 4

7) Pyromaniac, Jasmine Boreal, Weak-Minded Townie, Destroyed Night 5

16) chenhsi,
Metallic Sliver
Acidic Sliver, Tempest Mafia B Sliver Shredder, Lynched Day 5

Exiled:

8) Seraphim, Jaya Ballard, Task Mage, Neutral Survivor
(
formerly Townie Ass-Whupper
)
, Modkilled/Autolossed Day 1 for a Violation of Rule 1

3) Benmage, Baru, Fist of Krosa, Star-Crossed Lover, Fulfilled His Win Condition and Left the Game, N1
30) Debonair Danny DePietro, Azusa, Lost but Seeking, Star-Crossed Lover, Fulfilled His Win Condition and Left the Game, N1

31) Mufasa, Yuki-Onna, Neutral Survivor
(
formerly Vanilla Townie
)
, Lynched Day 3, Modkilled/Autolossed Postgame for a Violation of Rule 1.
Last edited by Tarhalindur on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 16 times in total.
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:18 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

Rules:

<0> I am the Mod thy God. If a dispute arises, my decision is final. That said, I am not infallible - if I make a mistake or you have a question, please inform me of the problem (preferably via PM or bold text) and I will correct it.
<0a> Refusal to accept the moderators decision once the moderator has made it clear that the decision is final will be punished by modkill (if applicable) and blacklisting. (Added 8/14/2009 for clarity.)
<0b> I may, at my discretion, opt to use a greater punishment than usual on one or more players, provided that there is a clear pattern of more than one player violating the same rule and that the player(s) to be punished more severely broke that rule more severely or frequently than other players. (Added 8/14/2009 for clarity.)
<1> This is a game. I hope that you have fun. In return, I ask that you not have your fun at the expense of the other players in this game (in other words, don't be a jackass). Repeated or extreme violations of this rule will result in replacement or modkill.
<1a> Attempting to use loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage in the game is considered jackassery, and will be treated as such. This applies to things like encrypted codes, invisible text, editing and deleting posts, trying to use the structure of the role PM to gain an advantage, etc. Please, use your common sense!
<1b> If there is any question about whether something might break the rules, don't do it. Hint: If I've modkilled for it before, it's not acceptable. (Added 8/14/2009; apparently this is not common sense.)
<1c> Rule 1 is a catchall rule; it is intended to preemptively outlaw any action I consider clearly unacceptable that I have not explicitly outlawed elsewhere, or for assigning a lesser punishment when I feel that the usual punishment for a rule violation would be too harsh. I will do my best not to use the first aspect of this rule, but if I decide that something qualifies as a Rule 1 violation then it is a Rule 1 violation. (See also Rule 0.) (Added 8/14/2009 for added clarity.)
<2> If there is a conflict between a role and the rules, the role wins.
<3> Claiming that another player is your scumbuddy will result in a modkill. I have zero tolerance for scumbuddy claims.
<4> Quoting private communications (role PM, mason conversations, etc.) or pretending to do the same will result in a modkill. Paraphrasing, however, is acceptable, provided that the paraphrase is short and does not use the same formatting that the original message used. (Updated 8/14/2009 for increased clarity)
<4a> Do not discuss role PM structure under any circumstances. This includes win conditions, ability formatting, or any other aspect of the role PM other than full role name and a brief summary of that. You may mention what an ability does, but don't mention how I template it (substitute your own templating). This includes any information about role PMs posted publicly in the thread. Violation will lead to Official Warning, forced replacement, or modkill, at my discretion. I have zero tolerance for using the structure of ANY role PM for advantage (regardless of alignment, regardless of whose role PM it is). (Rule added 8/13/2009 due to Rule 1a and Rule 4 apparently not being specific enough for players to recognize that using Role PM structure was already verboten under those rules).
<4b> Attempting to use any aspect of role PM format to confirm a player's alignment constitutes a violation of either Rule 1 or Rule 4 (at my discretion). This even applies if you accidentally make it clear that you have or do not have a specific win condition. (Added 8/14/2009 to prevent any possible arguments about this subject.)
<5> You may not talk with other people about this game outside of the thread (but see Rule 2).
<6> This game will have a vote count but no FoS count. Each player will begin with 1 vote (but see Rule 2).
<6a> In a Normal game, the FoS count will have no effect on the game other than breaking voting ties at deadline. Theme games make no such guarantee. (Especially not this one!)

<7> To help the game run smoothly, votes and FoS'es should be made in bold text, and use the format Vote: XXXX and FoS: XXXX, respectively. An unvote and/or unFoS is required to remove a vote or FoS; to unvote or unFoS, please use the format Unvote: XXXX or UnFoS: XXXX.
<8> If a player or No Lynch has a majority of votes, that player is lynched and cannot be unvoted. You may talk during twilight unless I state otherwise.
<9> Each game day will begin with a negotiable deadline of 2 weeks in place. At the end of each week, if I find the activity level in the game acceptable and the week does not end with the deadline, then I will extend the deadline by one week, to a maximum of twice the original deadline (a maximum of 4 weeks); the maximum deadlines are not retractable.
<10> If no one has reached majority by deadline, the person with the most votes will be lynched. If there is a tie, each player in the tie will send me a haiku. Whichever one is more amusing will be spared the rope.
<11> You may vote to No Lynch any number of times during the game. When at least 50% of voting players are voting No Lynch, No Lynch will occur. (To vote No Lynch, please use the format Vote: No Lynch. FoS'es for No Lynch will not be counted.)
<12> Don't drink and post, lest ye receive Public Humilitation. (This rule is an injoke and doesn't actually do anything.)
<13> This is an Open Night setup. As usual, lynching occurs during the day, actions are submitted at night and resolve at end of night (unless indicated otherwise). However, players are PERMITTED to talk in the thread during "night".
<14> When you die, stop posting. You may make a single "Bah!"/"Frak you!"/etc. post in the thread. You may not include game content in this post. In addition, once you are dead, please do not discuss the game with anyone other than the Mod until the game is over, as this makes the mod's life easier.
<15> All players need to post at least once every 72 hours, or inform me if this is not possible. If you do not post for 72 hours, you will be prodded. If you are prodded, then you will need to post something (a simple "/prodded" will suffice if you're short on time) within 72 hours or you will be replaced. You will receive an Official Warning the second time you fail to post for more than 72 hours. The third time you fail to post for 72 hours, you will be replaced.
<15a> If you have limited access, you need to post to this effect, either in V/LA or in the thread. If I prod you despite you declaring V/LA status, call me on it and I will be duly embarrassed.
<15b> If you post before I get around to handing out the prod, you avoid the prod.
<16> Players may only use one special ability per day (but see Rule 2). Passive abilities and factional abilities are not counted as special abilities for purposes of this rule.
<17> This game will start on Day 1 after all players have confirmed (by the method specified in their role PM).
<18> Any player who is modkilled loses the game unless I specify otherwise. I will modkill in either the fashion that I deem least damaging to the game state or the fashion that I deem most damaging to the modkilled player's faction, at my discretion.
<19> I reserve the right to add rules if necessary (or if I really, really want to).
<20> Okay, that's enough formal-sounding stuff. Good luck, have fun!

Game-Specific Rules:

<21> The larger MtG: Parallel Universe game consists of three subgames. A player with the factional win condition ("you win when all other factions have left the game, or nothing can prevent the same") wins when all other factions in his or her subgame have left that subgame, or nothing can prevent the same; when this occurs, all members of other factions that were in that subgame (whether dead, alive, or otherwise) at the time of that faction winning lose the game. A faction winning in one subgame does NOT cause members of any faction in other subgames to win or lose the game unless explicitly told otherwise.
<22> Whenever a player wins or loses the game, that player will be removed from the game.
<23> Players may only target other players in the same subgame with abilities (but see Rule 2; abilities that can or must target players in a different subgame will use the formatting "in {any/another} game you can see from your seat").
<23a> If a faction has factional abilities (i.e, Mafia kill) that does not use the aforementioned formatting, that faction may use that ability to target a player in any subgame which contains a member of that faction.
<24> Effects that last "until end of turn" expire at the beginning of the day after they are used. Abilities that cause a permanent change will remind the player that "this effect lasts indefinitely".
<25> Abilities can be played only any time you could cast a sorcery; that is to say, they may be used only at night and resolve at end of night (but see Rule 2; abilities that can be played at any time will use the formatting "you may play this ability any time you could play an instant").
<26> An ability has its effect instantaneously upon resolution, regardless of which subgame it effects (i.e, if a normal ability in one game causes two players to swap subgames, that ability will take effect at the end of the night in the subgame in which it is used, even if the other game is in the middle of day).
<27> In order to keep this game relatively in synch with (pre-M10) Magic: the Gathering wording, some abilities are being referred to by the closest equivalent M:tG keyword action. Killing abilities will use the format "Destroy XXXX"; kills that remove a player from the game will use the formating "Exile XXXX", but other abilities that involve removing a player from the game will use the older formatting "remove XXXX from the game". Protective abilities will use the format "Regenerate XXXX" or the replacement effect formatting "If XXXX would happen, instead YYYY"; abilities that bypass normal doctor protection will use the formatting "It can't be regenerated", but this does not prevent that ability from being stopped by a replacement effect.
Last edited by Tarhalindur on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User out of ambit.

Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:06 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

It is now Confirmation Stage. Role PMs are going out. Please confirm in the thread.
User out of ambit.

Pyromaniac
Pyromaniac
Goon
Pyromaniac
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 am

Post by Pyromaniac »

yay first.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 am

Post by Benmage »

/confirm
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 am

Post by Sajin »

<10> If no one has reached majority by deadline, the person with the most votes will be lynched. If there is a tie, each player in the tie will send me a haiku. Whichever one is more amusing will be spared the rope.

Fatties are green cards....
Counterspells are blue you know....
Why do you have red?
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 am

Post by Benmage »

How original must one be? I always liked this:

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don’t make sense
Refrigerator
Kinetic
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 am

Post by Kinetic »

Interesting group of players indeed.

btw /confirm
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 am

Post by Seraphim »

/confirm

This game is shaping up to be even more complex than MS3...
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:39 am

Post by Sajin »

/confirm btw
Pyromaniac
Pyromaniac
Goon
Pyromaniac
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:40 am

Post by Pyromaniac »

Now that I have actually received my PM I shall confirm.
Vino
Vino
Goon
Vino
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 am

Post by Vino »

/confirm
Show
[url=http://www.calamityfuse.com/]Calamity Fuse, a multiplayer FPS/RPG[/url]
[url=http://www.blacksheepblues.com/]Black Sheep Blues, a community-reactive online graphic novel[/url]

Total prods: 1
Replaced out: 0
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

Notes:

1) malthusis has somewhat longer to confirm than normal, as he declared V/LA before game start.

2) A sample town role PM:

Welcome to MtG: Parallel Universe Mafia,
PLAYERNAME
. You are:
Stonebrow, Krosan Hero

Legendary Creature - Vanilla Townie, Mythic Rare, 3RG

Moments after a fickle rift dropped Stonebrow in the waste of his beloved Krosa, he took up his axe in rage-blind vengeance.

4/4
Townie

Enchantment-Win Condition, G, Rare
Win Condition
— When all other factions have left the game, or nothing can prevent the same, you win the game and every player who is a member of another faction loses the game. This doesn't affect players in other subgames.
User out of ambit.

Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

/confirmatory
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
ChaosOmega
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Post by ChaosOmega »

/confirm
Is it any wonder things seem so awry? We swim in a sea of confusion and don't have to think to survive, so nobody listens!
veerus
veerus
Mafia Scum
veerus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Post by veerus »

maze of ith ftw!
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
-Fight Club
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:48 pm

Post by Budja »

/confirm
malthusis
malthusis
Mafia Scum
malthusis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Post by malthusis »

/confirm

I actually know a ton of people in this game......
malthusis
malthusis
Mafia Scum
malthusis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:17 pm

Post by malthusis »

EBWOP:
<26> An ability has its effect instantaneously upon resolution, regardless of which subgame it effects (i.e, if a normal ability in one game causes two players to swap subgames, that ability will take effect at the end of the night in the subgame in which it is used, even if the other game is in the middle of day).
Tar, I'm correct in assuming that alignments won't be revealed upon switiching games, right?
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

malthusis wrote:EBWOP:
Tar, I'm correct in assuming that alignments won't be revealed upon switiching games, right?
Correct; a player who switches subgames is treated as though they never were in the original subgame (they will be removed from the player list in that subgame and added onto the player list in the second subgame). Alignments will only be revealed either via death or via any abilities that publicly reveal alignment (should such abilities exist). - Tar
User out of ambit.

Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:00 am

Post by Seraphim »

Who is left to confirm?

Mastin has not picked up his role PM (was he V/LA?).

We're also waiting for FL and MafiaSSK to get approval to post in Theme Park before we start the game (while the subgames don't have to all stay on the same day/night, I'd like them to at least start simultaneously). - Tar
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

"'Each reality is but the dream of another, and each sleeper a god unknowing.' - flavor text, Venser's Diffusion"

With only Mastin unconfirmed and both other games in confirmation, I'll start this subgame; you may only submit day actions that target players in other subgames after those subgames begin.

Mastin has 72 hours to confirm or be replaced. - Tar

The Zeroth Vote Count (aka the "Return Target Spell Or Permanent" Vote Count)

1) Kinetic (0) -
2) veerus (0) -
3) Benmage (0) -
4) ChaosOmega (0) -
5) Budja (0) -
6) malthusis (0) -
7) Pyromaniac (0) -
8) Seraphim (0) -
9) Sajin (0) -
10) Mastin (0) -
11) Vino (0) -
12) Kairyuu (0) -

Not Voting (12): Kinetic, veerus, Benmage, ChaosOmega, Budja, malthusis, Pyromaniac, Seraphim, Sajin, Mastin, Vino, Kairyuu

Votes required to lynch:

Current Deadline:
August 20, 2009 at ~6:00 P.M. CST (GMT -6)
First Mod Deadline Review:
August 13, 2009 at ~6:00 P.M. (GMT -6)

Begin Game!
User out of ambit.

Kinetic
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Post by Kinetic »

Vote: Kairyuu
Because he is scum. Yup :)
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Post by Sajin »

Vote: Benmage
he confirmed before I even got my role PM.

"To probe the wonders of the multiverse, to gaze upon worlds unspoiled by blade or spell . . . it's enough to make one weep for the possibilities denied."
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Post by Benmage »

Vote pyromaniac
he must be sleeping with the mod to of confirmed before me.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”