Newbie 876: (Game Over)

bird1111
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Alive, bold unconfirmed, italics Semi-Experienced, underlined Inexperiened Challenged, mech close to replacement, purple V/LA:
Demi Mondaine, replacing ExKirby
SIR CYANIDE
Akaleth
Zang, replacing Entropypr
Guybrush
Sakako
chauchaudotcom, replacing Feeres, replacing chauchaudotcom
startransmission
Sanjay

Dead: None yet

Last edited by bird1111 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 40 times in total.

bird1111
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Rules:
0. This is a game. Have fun. Don’t let things get personal.
1. Play to win.
2. The game will start with a Day Start once all confirms are in.
3. During Day, you may vote for one player at a time. Votes (both the word Vote and the person being voted, with all/part of the username (shortening the username is acceptable so long as I can recognize who you are voting)) must be bold or they will not be counted. Unvoting is optional.
4. Whenever a player has more than half of the people alive voting for him/her, that player will be lynched, and his or her role will be revealed, and Night will begin, during which the thread will be locked, and because of this, will not count towards prods that are kept track of on the front page (I will send PMs to everyone when Night ends, but these will not count towards the front page)
5. The Newbie Queue rules now require a non-retractable 3 week deadline per day, thus this game will have one. At deadline, a majority of people who have posted in thread within the last 48 hours and are not currently being replaced will be enough for a lynch. I will add a section to all votecounts, separate from the main one of the votes of people who have posted within the last 48 hours. For example, let's say there are five people alive, Bob, Alice, Carol, David, and Erica. Let's say that only Bob, Alice, David, and Erica have posted within the last 48 hours at deadline but I am currently searching for a replacement for David. This would mean that two of Bob, Alice, and Erica would have to be voting the same person at deadline for a lynch to go through.
6. Do not talk outside the thread unless your role allows it.
7. If you’re dead, you get one ‘bah’ post with no game-related content.
8. If I make a mistake about public information, say it in thread, if I make a mistake about private information (such as your role), PM me about it. This goes for questions and comments also.
9. Confirm in thread.
10. I will try my best to get a vote count near or at the top of every page or at least every few days.
11. If you do not post for 72 hours or if a player requests I do so, I will prod you by PM, and then if you still do not post within 48 hours, you will be replaced if you failed to pick it up or prodded again if you did pick it up, and if you do not post within 48 hours of the second prod, you will be replaced. Absences that are posted in thread, PM'ed to me, noted in your sig and/or posted in VLA are exceptions to this rule (though, posting in thread and PM'ing me are preferred, as those are what I am most likely to see), though if I feel it is necessary, I might temporarily replace you. V/LA status I am aware of will be put in the front post.
12. If I have to search for replacements for half or more of the people alive, the game will be called.
13. Red is the official mod color, no one but me may post in it, and if someone other than me edits it, the red will be edited out and they will be warned.
14. The setup and roles were 100% randomized.
15. If I have to prod someone a fifth time in the course of the game, they will be replaced instead unless one or more of the prods was when they were V/LA, which do not count. This is reset for replacements who replaces in.
16. The number of prods will be kept track of in the front post. Number of stars by a person's name equals the number of times they have been prodded. If the next time they would be prodded they will be replaced instead, their name will be in mech.
17. If you are modkilled for any reason that is not a mod mistake, you will be turned into a Neutral Survivor, and therefore lose. The town will be told what your role before being turned into a neutral survivor. Attempting to use modkills to gain an advantage will get you banned from all future games I run.
18. Quoting Role PM's without paraphrasing will be punished by modkill, as is quoting from a Quick Topic. If you want to quote any other PM from the mod ask first, as quoting some other PM's from me could get you modkilled. If you are not sure whether something is paraphrasing or quoting, ask. This applies to fake PM's also.
19. IC's (and myself for non-strategy related questions) are here to help you. See this wiki page for details about how they should be heping you. Feel free to ask any questions, that is part of the purpose of this game, to help the new players learn.
20. Anything that is a part of the Mafia Specific Rules applies, even if it isn't in my rules.
21. Personal attacks (ie insulting a person instead of their arguments) are not allowed, and you will get a warning for doing so, and if done repeatedly will get you replaced. Attacking a person to a small extent for repeatedly bad arguments is fine if used sparingly and if the focus is on why the arguments is bad (ie a phrase dedicated to someone being stupid for repeatedly making bad arguments is fine if using the phrase [Person] X is stupid or something similar is used in a paragraph that's dedicated to why the arguments made by Person X are poor arguments, while using a whole paragraph to say why the person is stupid or repeating the phrase through several posts is not)
22. Any other mean-spirited acts are not allowed, and will get a warning the first time you do so, and you will be replaced the second time. If you want to know whether something would fall under this rule, I highly encourage you to ask.
23. No invisible text, editing or deleting posts. First time it is a warning, repeated offense result in replacement. Using codes without my permission will also result in a warning followed by replacement.
24. Posting Quick Topic links will be punished with a modkill.
25. Claiming to be someone or some people's scumpartner(s), whether true or false will get you modkilled and blacklisted (ie banned from playing in any games I mod)
26. If I have to replace/modkill you in two games for the same offense, you will be forbidden for playing in games I mod.
27. If anything is unclear about the rules, or if you need any clarification, ask.
28. I reserve the right to edit these rules as I see fit. I also reserve the right to warn for using loopholes in the rules, and modkill if it is a second offense. If you are unclear if something is a loophole, ask. If you do spot a loophole, let me know by PM so I can fix it.

Possible Setups:
1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cop
6 Townies

2 Mafia Goons
1 Doc
6 Townies

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
7 Townies

Role PM's:
Zero or two people received:
You are a Mafia Goon, your partner is (XXXX), who is also a Mafia Goon. Each night and during the confirmation stage you may discuss the game [url=quicktopiclink]here[/url], and also send me the name of a player. That player will die. You may discuss during the confirmation stage. You win when the number of mafia is the same as the number of pro-town people. The game can be found here.

Zero or one person received:
You are the Mafia Goon, your partner is (XXXX), who is the Roleblocker. Each night and during the confirmation stage you may discuss the game [url=quicktopiclink]here[/url] with your partner, and also send me the name of a player. That player will die. You may discuss during the confirmation stage. You win when the number of mafia is the same as the number of pro-town people. The game can be found here.

You are the Mafia Roleblocker, your partner is (XXXX), who is a Mafia Goon. Each night and during the confirmation stage you may discuss the game [url=quicktopiclink]here[/url] with your partner , and also send me the name of a player. That player will die. Also, you may send me the name of the same or a different player. That player, if they have a nightchoice, it will fail. You may discuss during the confirmation stage. You win when the number of mafia is the same as the number of pro-town people. The game can be found here.

Five to seven people received:
You are a Townie, you have nothing but your vote so put it to good use. You win when all Mafia are dead. The game can be found here.

You are a Cop, each night you may send me the name of a player. So long as both you and your target survive the night, I will tell you whether that player is innocent or guilty. If your investigation fails, whether it be because you died, your target died, or you were roleblocked, you will be told what caused it to fail. You win when all the Mafia are dead. The game can be found here.

You are a Doc, each night you may send me the name of a player. If the Mafia try to kill that player, they will survive instead. You win when all the Mafia are dead. The game can be found here.

Now is the confirmation stage, post in thread so that I know you got your Role PM. The mafia may talk in their Quick Topic until Day starts.
Last edited by bird1111 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sanjay
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:37 pm

/confirm

Welcome to the game, everyone.

Akaleth
Townie

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:39 pm

/confirm

Looking forward to trying this game out.

chauchaudotcom
Goon

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:42 pm

/confirm

let's play a good game of mafiascum shall we?

SIR CYANIDE
Goon

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:44 pm

/confirm
Your own blood will clean the blood for now

Guybrush
Goon

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:26 pm

/confirm
Hello, Dexter Morgan

startransmission
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:03 pm

/confirm
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0

Sanjay
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm going to do my little IC introduction right now.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow myself to introduce myself:

I'm Sanjay, your loveable, charming and helpful Inexperienced Challenged (IC) Player.

I'm here for two reasons.

One, I have a couple of games under my belt, and I'm here so you can hopefully benefit from my experience.

If you have strategy questions, I'm your man.
If you are confused about mafia terminology, hit me up.
If you need a shoulder to cry on, that's not really what I'm here for but I'm a pretty nice guy so maybe.

I'm honor-bound to do the things in the Being a good IC guide to the best of my ability. I've never been an IC before and I want to be good and I hope you are as excited about this game as I am.

Two, I'm here because I love playing Mafia. You all have good, functioning brains on your shoulders, I assume, so don't be afraid to challenge me. Don't forget that I could be a sneaky mafioso and I'm playing to win just like all of you.

Let's do this.

RAAAAAA!!!

Entropypr
Townie

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:06 pm

/confirm

Sanjay
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:21 am

Entropypr and SIR CYANIDE:

Could you two get avatars? They generally make the thread more readable since you can, with just a glance at the picture, tell who is writing what.

Plus if you make your avatar something adorable like a kitten or a puppy people will be less inclined to lynch you.

Entropypr
Townie

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:09 am

LOL at the kittie thing, Ill get an avatar sir.

ExKirby
Townie

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:47 am

/confirm
Show

SIR CYANIDE
Goon

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:17 am

Sanjay wrote:Entropypr and SIR CYANIDE:

Could you two get avatars? They generally make the thread more readable since you can, with just a glance at the picture, tell who is writing what.

Plus if you make your avatar something adorable like a kitten or a puppy people will be less inclined to lynch you.

I assume most people won't give in to basic impulses caused by visual reinforcement through neurolinguistic programming, but instead use their brains.

Guybrush
Goon

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:32 am

SIR CYANIDE wrote:I assume most people won't give in to basic impulses caused by visual reinforcement through neurolinguistic programming, but instead use their brains.

That's quite optimistic. :D

Sanjay wrote:Plus if you make your avatar something adorable like a kitten or a puppy people will be less inclined to lynch you.

I'll be surprised if I don't receive a vote based on my avatar. XD
Hello, Dexter Morgan

chauchaudotcom
Goon

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:36 am

Unfortunately games usually start with RVS which doesn't require much neurological stimulation. Which is why I propose we do random questions versus random voting! Though I imagine someone will probably vote me for suggesting that.

Guybrush
Goon

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:11 am

chauchaudotcom wrote:Unfortunately games usually start with RVS which doesn't require much neurological stimulation. Which is why I propose we do random questions versus random voting! Though I imagine someone will probably vote me for suggesting that.

Agreed. I find RVS unnecessary too, but I think we're in minority here.
However, I have some (not so) random questions. (anyone can answer)

1. How did you feel when you read your role?
2. How much experience (real-life or online) do you have in Mafia?
3. What move are you most proud of that you made in Mafia?
4. Do you use "Notes" while playing online?
5. Would you rather win a dull game or lose a fun one?
Hello, Dexter Morgan

chauchaudotcom
Goon

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 am

I believe we should wait until the game actually starts before proceeding with questioning people. We still have one unconfirmed person?

Mod: How long is the standard wait time for confirmation stage until you find a replacement for Sakako?

I generally wait 48 hours, though since we are waiting on one, I may start day earlier than that.

Guybrush
Goon

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:24 am

(sorry, i thought we were pass that since people started talking) :oops:
Hello, Dexter Morgan

SIR CYANIDE
Goon

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 pm

We should just vote for the only female player in the random voting stage. It is probably the smartest thing we can do.

chauchaudotcom
Goon

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:10 pm

It's because you know me and my female intuition will catch you in your scummy ways huh?

ExKirby
Townie

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:13 pm

That's insane.
Show

chauchaudotcom
Goon

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:16 pm

We'll see about that!

Oh and by the way Kirby, you can't vote in red for this game because red is the designated mod color. You'll get warned for it if you do. Just fyi. =)

Since it's clear that if he does it, it will solely be out of habit, I won't actually do anything but edit it so that it is bold black and include a note saying I did so.

Sanjay
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Sorry for being a bad example, but generally one shouldn't talk that much during the confirmation stage. At this point in the game, the mafia can still talk to each other and can use that to coordinate reactions and plan how they are going to deal with the things happening in the thread.

On the other hand, since there is nothing huge going on in the thread yet the mafia advantage of coordination isn't very much. And stalling a good conversation hurts the town.

So it's a double edged sword. Your call what you want to do.

As for kicking off the day with questions, I think it is a fantastic idea, though I do take issue with one of the questions:

Guybrush wrote:1. How did you feel when you read your role?
2. How much experience (real-life or online) do you have in Mafia?
3. What move are you most proud of that you made in Mafia?
4. Do you use "Notes" while playing online?
5. Would you rather win a dull game or lose a fun one?

I think question 1 does more harm than good. I can't see a special strategic benefit of it being answered, and it sort of forces town to be evasive with their answers (so as not to give away whether they have a power role or are an ordinary vanilla townie). Since evasiveness is something we want to root out and lynch, it would be a bad move giving the town reason to be evasive.

P.S. everyone:

In case you don't know, it is generally good strategy not to reveal your role, even if you are vanilla town, until there is some use to do so. If mafia knows you don't have a power role, they have a better chance of figuring out who does and killing them.

In fact, some people will even lynch someone as a matter of policy just because they prematurely claimed vanilla town.

ExKirby
Townie

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Got it... if I slip into voting red, someone rectify me, please. I'll try to vote in Bold.
Show

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games