pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Worldwide Flight Race - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Post by pablito »

Rather than following the traditional amazing race format, I've decided to base the game more on a deterministic points format (which refreshes each leg) combined with a stronger focus on researching which flight to take. Rather than variation of play relying on roadblocks/detours/navigation, variation in arrival times will be decided on knowing when it is most advantageous to work faster in the leg of the race or knowing if it is essential to take the quickest flight.

Before the game even begins, players will determine a huge part of their fate in the game by determining how they will prioritize the three major air alliances for flight purchasing. This is because time and effort will be spent if you decide to go with a different air alliance than your number one choice. Players who have flight research efficiency and can predict "bunching" or hours of operation will quickly find themselves at the head of the pack. Note: Players are individuals and have no interaction with other players. Alliances will do nothing in this game.

Player List (2)

ShadowLurker
chavo

Eliminated (8)

danakillsu - DQ pre-race
saberwolf - DQ leg 1
Drench - DQ leg 1
diginova - DQ leg 2
animorpherv1 - eliminated leg 3
farside22 - eliminated leg 4
Haylen - DQ leg 5
Rhinox - eliminated leg 7
PHANTOM - DQ leg 8
pickemgenius - DNF
Last edited by pablito on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:48 am, edited 32 times in total.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Post by pablito »

Basic leg format:

Start Point - Given 100 points
->Task/Transportation (Use Points here)
International Flight to intermediate city
->Task/Transportation (Use more points)
International Flight to final city
->Task/Transportation (Use more points)
->Final Task/Transport (All leftover points used)
Finish Line

During Tasks or Transportation sections, some or all of your points can be used. Sometimes the amount of points that you use will be multiplied by a percentage of a time period and that's how much time you spend there. Sometimes if you use points within a certain range (ie: 21-28), you'll get a cab that gets you there in 15 minutes. Sometimes operation hours or travel times will occur. These Tasks/Transportation sections replace roadblocks/detours/etc.

There are always two flights that occur within a travel leg. Aside from rare exceptions, all air alliances fly between the two cities. However, flights on one air alliance will get you to the destination earlier than other alliances. Before the game begins, you will rank order the three air alliances. Whenever you purchase a flight, you will waste 0 minutes and 0 points if you want to fly on your #1 air alliance. If you choose to go with your #2 alliance, you waste 30 minutes and 15 points at the airport counter. If you choose to go with your #3 alliance, you waste 60 minutes and 30 points at the airport counter. If you choose to go with an airline that does not belong to any air alliance you waste 45 minutes and 25 points. Therefore you must decide whether it is advantageous to switch to a different flight or if you should save your points for a task/transportation section. In many instances, you will get to the finish line quicker if you do not take the quickest flight.

For each leg of the race, one (or more) player(s) will be eliminated. The last player(s) to the pit stop will be eliminated. This will continue until the final leg where the final players will race to be the first ones to the finish line. Each leg, players will get back all 100 points at the starting line. Players must find flight information and times on their own. Players should verify their information before sending it in to ensure accuracy. Flights chosen do not have to reflect actual flight availability and flight prices do not matter. If a flight uses multiple airline alliances, the lowest priority airline alliance will be used. No random factors will occur in this game, it is all based on your strategy.

Gameplay:

At the beginning of the leg you will be told what the first task/transportation will be plus you will be told what is the maximum amount of time (if you spend 0 points) that could be spent on the task/transportation. Also, if you use 100 points on a single task, it does not necessarily mean that you will waste 0 minutes at the task/transportation. Once you receive this information via PM, please reply back to say how many of your 100 points you want to use for task/transportation A. While timeliness does not affect your current date/time in the race, failure to submit a reply in a timely manner (within 48 hrs) may result in time/point penalties.

You will get a reply saying how much time you spent at task/transportation A and what the current time/date is. Assume you are at the airport counter at this point and that you can board the flight immediately (ie: you arrive at airport at 14:10 and the flight leaves at 14:11 - you can take that one if it's your #1 airline alliance). You will then be told what the next city will be. You will then have to research flights to the next city on your own accord using whatever information you have available. I will have the most updated information that is
independent
of flight availability. Once you find the flight you want, then please PM me the flight number/time that you want to fly on.

I will reply confirming if you made the flight and will tell you your arrival time. I will then tell you what task/transportation B is. Please reply saying how many points you want to use.

Once that's complete, you will be told the final city for this leg of the race. Look up flights and then reply with your flight of choice.

Once you arrive in the final city, you will be told task/transportation C. The points that you do not use on task/transportation C will be used for task/transportation D. However, you will not be told what task/transportation D is until after you finish section C. Therefore you have to guess if section D may take more time than section C.

You will be then told your arrival time via PM. Once all players have completed the leg, results will be posted in thread. Subsequently some players may finish the leg in 10 real time minutes and others may take days. Because there is no interaction between players in the race and unlimited flight ability, there is no need to wait for players before you complete your race leg.

Questions, please ask.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

/in
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
saberwolf
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 am

Post by saberwolf »

/in
Show
saberwolf XIX (2:53:59 AM): what do you know about bigger and better? >.>
drench394 (2:54:04 AM): um
drench394 (2:54:13 AM): i've been going through puberty for the better part of a year now

The Last Post Bandit strikes again!
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:49 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

/in
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 am

Post by Drench »

/in
join your union
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 am

Post by Haylen »

/in
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:26 am

Post by farside22 »

/in
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 am

Post by Rhinox »

/in
danakillsu
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:37 am

Post by danakillsu »

sounds pretty cool
/in
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 am

Post by pablito »

Rules on activity:

Replies to any PM must be received within 48 hrs. Failure to submit within 48 hrs will result in a 15 minute time penalty and loss of 5 effort points that takes place immediately. A player gets two warnings/penalties. On the third infraction, the player will be disqualified and will be dropped from the race. No penalties will be given if a player notifies me directly of any V/LA in advance.

If you don't think you can make the 48 hr deadlines, or notify me of any V/LA in advance (simple PM saying "I'm busy in the next three days, please give me extra time" will suffice), please reconsider signing up.

Game will begin once there's enough sign-ups.

Also please begin researching the three air alliances: OneWorld, Star Alliance, Sky Team. Once the game begins I'll be asking you to rank order 1-3 these air alliances. Airports in this game were chosen specifically to balance out the advantages any air alliance may have.
Last edited by pablito on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:24 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

/in
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:29 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

No West Jet? D:
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:33 am

Post by diginova »

Thinking of going /in, just one question:
Do we have a limited amount of money for the flights or any flight is acceptable?
Do the flights have to be open at the current time or just off the timetable?
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 am

Post by pablito »

WestJet was once in talks with OneWorld for some agreement, but they never formalised it. Furthermore, I don't think their frequently flyer program is ready for an alliance; that's the big reason these alliances exist. Quite a few big airlines are still not linked to an air alliance for the flexibility and such. They're still allowed in this game, but at a risk. I want the game to not be about finding the absolute best flight, but determining whether it's necessary to take the absolute best flight.
diginova wrote:Do we have a limited amount of money for the flights or any flight is acceptable?
Do the flights have to be open at the current time or just off the timetable?
Money is not an issue in this game. Any flight that is open to the public (no charters) is a commercial flight and has a flight number will be accepted - as long as you can show me how you found it (if I can't find it myself). The only thing you have to worry about is the 100 points each leg.

Flights only need to be off the most updated timetable. Flights with no available seats are still okay. As long as they are regularly scheduled to fly on that specific date and time, it's good.

Before the game begins, I think I'll post a sample leg just to show how things go. I've learned that the way I explain things doesn't always hit, so I like to show examples.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Post by pablito »

Okay. Last chance to sign up in the next 48 hrs. If we're going with 10, then there will be non-elimination legs.

As for current players, please PM me your alliance priority list (1-3) in the next 48 hrs.

Air Alliances:
OneWorld www.oneworld.com
Star Alliance www.staralliance.com
Sky Team www.skyteam.com
Sup, later.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:30 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

-sent-
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

sent
saberwolf
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:20 am

Post by saberwolf »

sent
Show
saberwolf XIX (2:53:59 AM): what do you know about bigger and better? >.>
drench394 (2:54:04 AM): um
drench394 (2:54:13 AM): i've been going through puberty for the better part of a year now

The Last Post Bandit strikes again!
chavo
chavo
Watcher
chavo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:32 am

Post by chavo »

/in
http://www.tengaged.com/user/oleary91
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Post by pablito »

Sample Leg

Joe, Olly and Stacey are racing starting in Seoul. Joe begins at 12:23 28th March 2010. Olly begins 13:11 same day and Stacey begins at 13:23. Contestants leave 12 hours after they arrive at the pitstop from the previous leg.

Joe's Priority List (Sky Team, Star Alliance, One World)
Olly's (Star Alliance, One World, Sky Team)
Stacey's (One World, Star Alliance, Sky Team)

"Clue 1:
Take a Cab from Olympic Park to Incheon International Airport. (Max 45 mins)"

Joe chooses to use 10 effort points (90 remain)
Olly chooses to use 23 effort points (77 remain)
Stacey chooses to use 14 effort points (86 remain)

"Clue 2:
Board a plane from Incheon to Tokyo's Narita Airport."

Joe receives message that he arrived at airport at 13:03, Olly receives message that he arrived at airport at 13:31, Stacey receives message that she arrived at airport at 13:53.

All contestants see the following flights:
oneworld - 13:50>16:15, 17:35>20:00
star alliance - 14:15>16:35
sky team - 18:45>20:55

Joe chooses to bump himself from sky team to star alliance. This wastes 30 mins and 15 effort. He is now at 13:33 and 75 effort points. He will land in Tokyo (Narita) at 16:35

Olly takes the star alliance flight for no cost. He has 77 effort points remaining. He will land at 16:35 with Joe.

Stacey barely misses the first oneworld flight but has chosen to take the hit and stick with oneworld even though she could take the next star alliance. She has 86 effort points remaining and arrives at 20:00

"Clue 3:
Take a train (leaves every 15 minutes) to Tokyo Station and walk to the Imperial Palace where you will you have to learn a traditional dance. Once the judge determines that you have completed the dance, you will go back to Narita Airport. (Max 2:30)"

Joe decides to use 26 effort points. (49 remain)
Olly decides to use 12 effort points. (65 remain)
Stacey decides to use 16 effort points. (70 remain)

"Clue 4:
Board a plane to Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport"

Joe was told that he arrived at Narita at 18:19.
Olly was told that he arrived at Narita at 18:43.
Stacey was told that she arrived at Narita at 21:58.

They all see the following flights:

oneworld - 18:20>21:55, 18:30>9:55(+1); 9:30(+1)>13:05(+1)
staralliance - 20:30>11:50(+1)
skyteam - 13:55(+1)>23:00(+1)

Joe cannot take any oneworld flight as the switch would cost him an hour to bump down to the bottom of his list. He does go for the star alliance flight though at a cost of 15 more effort points. 35 points remain. Arrival at 11:50 29th Mar

Olly takes the star alliance flight at no cost. 65 points remain. Arrival 11:50 29th Mar

Stacey misses the star alliance flight but books the morning (29th march) flight at no cost. 70 points remain. Arrival 13:05 29th Mar

"Clue 5:
Drive yourself to SM City North EDSA - largest mall in the Philippines. Once you get there you will have to search the hundreds of stores for the one that sells a gold studded glove. (Max 4:00)"

Joe uses 16 points (19 points remain). Joe finishes task at 15:02 and will be told this in next reply.
Olly uses 35 points (30 points remain). Olly finishes at 14:05 and will be told in next reply.
Stacey uses 45 points (25 points remain). Stacey finishes at 14:50 and will be told in next reply.

"Clue 6:
Take a cab to Fort Santiago. The Pitstop for this leg of the race. The last team to arrive may be eliminated. (Max 2:00)"
(arrival time at pitstop is automatically calculated and posted with the last clue)

Joe automatically uses the 19 remaining points. Joe finishes at 16:24
Olly automatically uses the 30 remaining points. Olly finishes at 15:01
Stacey automatically uses the 25 remaining points. Stacey finishes at 16:09

The big difference in the leg seemed to be when Joe decided to bump to star alliance seoul->narita. It didn't give him the advantage and in the end, he had fewer effort points than Stacey who was lagging the entire time.

Hope this clears things up. Questions? Please ask.
Last edited by pablito on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sup, later.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:51 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I like. Thanks.

PHANTOM
PHANTOM
Goon
PHANTOM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:51 pm

Post by PHANTOM »

/in
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Post by diginova »

what's with the (+1) in parentheses?
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:16 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

How did Stacey miss the first flight?
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan

Return to “Social Game Archive”