Newbie 885 - Game Over

Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:39 am

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

Living Players (1) - Confirmed players are in bold.
startransmission ^, Mafia Roleblocker

* = IC; ^ = SE

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

Dead Players (6)
Toon Fighter, Townie, lynched Day 1
Cliquey (replaced Umbreonage), Townie, killed Night 1
blazirade, Townie, lynched Day 2
Delusibeta (replaced OG), Doctor, killed Night 2
Zachrulez *, Mafia Goon, lynched Day 3
Netopalis *, Townie, killed Night 3
RayFrost ^, Townie, lynched Day 4
Mysterious Mystery Man, Cop, killed in Endgame

startransmission won the game for the Mafia team!!

Game Links

Day 1 Lynch | Day 2 Lynch | Day 3 Lynch | Day 4 Lynch
Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 14 times in total.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:40 am

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  8. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  2. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g. Vote: Player).
  3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g. Unvote: Player or Unvote). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes/Unvotes that are bolded correctly and are unambiguous (with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations) will count.
  6. At deadline, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch. In the case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur. There will be no reduced number of votes in LyLo.
  7. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; the lynched player may not post during twilight but all other living players may continue to post.
  9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Red or Purple text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. Votecounts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
  6. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or on the 4th day of no activity. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  7. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
  9. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:41 am

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:

• 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:Mafia

name (a Mafia Goon) and your partner name (who is also a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill. You should copy your partner on the PM so they know the kill was submitted.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:Mafia

name (a Mafia Roleblocker) and your partner name (a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill. You should copy your partner on the PM so they know the kill was submitted.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:Townie:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:Cop:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:Doctor:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:02 pm

All players have confirmed and Day 1 has begun.

Game on!

With 9 alive it's 5 to lynch. Deadline is the end of Friday, January 15.

Merry Christmas everyone - now go kill someone!!!

Toon Fighter
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Hey yall! This is my second game, and I won the first as town (Newb 865). Lets see how this one goes!
~Toon fighter~

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Vote: Zachrulez

obviously scum aligned jaillkeeper/cultist, he need to die!
don't you feel silly now?

Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Hey all, welcome to mafiascum. I will be your IC for this ride. IC is short for inexperience challenged, which is really just a nice way of saying that I've been around here on mafiascum longer than you guys. To that end, I am at your disposal for any questions or concerns you might have regarding mafia theory, but be warned, I may be scum.

So with that said let's make sure we have fun as we try to hunt down and kill the scum shall we?

First lesson. RVS. There's no information to go on at the start of a mafia game, so we find some arbitrary reason to vote someone in the hopes of building up some bandwagons and generate our first little bits of information.

Vote: Mysterious Mystery Man

Someone so Mysterious can't be helpful to the town.

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:03 pm

See?

He's obviously voting his most recent cult recruit in order to distance from him!

ooo, lesson here:

distancing is when scum partners express mild suspicion of each other (or just one of the other) in order to make it seem like they are not scum buddies.

Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Vote: OG

He knows why.
Also known as: cheater_1

OG
Goon

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Vote:startransmission

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm

unvote, vote: umbreonage

Newbies shouldn't be creating alts. You are obviously an alt.

Thus, you are scum.

My logic is flawless.

Umbreonage
Townie

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:27 am

RayFrost wrote:unvote, vote: umbreonage

Newbies shouldn't be creating alts. You are obviously an alt.

Thus, you are scum.

My logic is flawless.

I knew that would happen at one point or another. Check the website on my profile to see where we got our names.
Anyways, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Umbreonage. This is my first mafia on mafiascum but I mod a smaller mafia forum elsewhere.
Vote: RayFrost for having flawed flawless logic.

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:45 am

Umbreonage wrote:I knew that would happen at one point or another. Check the website on my profile to see where we got our names.
Anyways, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Umbreonage. This is my first mafia on mafiascum but I mod a smaller mafia forum elsewhere.

(jokes are good, don't take this as a serious alt accusation, bubs)

Anyway, I'd say we have virtually confirmed scum in Umbreonage.

Here is why:

complete and utter overreaction to my vote (obviously, scum would try to discredit me so early!)

OMGUS vote on me hidden behind the RVS (obviously, scum want to get rid of the person that already has them pinned as scum!)

Yup, Umbreon, who is your scumbuddy?

Umbreonage
Townie

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:59 am

RayFrost wrote:
Umbreonage wrote:I knew that would happen at one point or another. Check the website on my profile to see where we got our names.

(jokes are good, don't take this as a serious alt accusation, bubs)

Here is why:

complete and utter overreaction to my vote (obviously, scum would try to discredit me so early!)

OMGUS vote on me hidden behind the RVS (obviously, scum want to get rid of the person that already has them pinned as scum!)

(Hm, maybe if I put a smily face after my vote you'd see that I didn't have a serious reason?)
Can you really blame me for "overreacting?" We've never met; you could just be that type of person who doesn't joke.
Saying you have a confirmed scum when you clearly have little proof seems a little scummy to be, but that's just instinct talking. And wow, an OMGUS vote on the first round! I have NEVER seen that before >_>
Sorry, I didn't use too many of the fancy mafiascum wiki terms ^_^;

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:06 am

OMGUS

RVS

Anyway, guys, we've got obv scum here.

Can we just lynch the scum already?

Toon Fighter
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:38 am

Ray, you seem very keen on lynching umbreon. Maybe YOU are scum and are just hoping for a quick lynch of him.

Vote: RayFrost
~Toon fighter~

Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:22 am

FOS: RayFrost

Only scum would be so sure of someone.

startransmission
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Hey all. For the sake of brevity you all can refer to me as start or ST or whatever.

Nice to see a robust RVS. I think I'll Vote: Toon Fighter for creating a wagon in RVS. Not that Ray doesn't deserve it. :wink:
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:21 pm

startransmission wrote:Hey all. For the sake of brevity you all can refer to me as start or ST or whatever.

Nice to see a robust RVS. I think I'll Vote: Toon Fighter for creating a wagon in RVS. Not that Ray doesn't deserve it. :wink:

Heh.

I deserve a random vote? I feel so special.

Anyway~

question for all of you:

Why so anxious?

Also, me using a random vote to apply huge pressure to somebody is actually a very good method for getting discussion going, since it somehow leads to you newbies voting me with the thought "omg, he's scum for pressuring somebody!"

Here are a few problems with your ideas:

1. Town can feel certain somebody is scum.

2. I never called for a quick lynch, just a lynch.

3. The RVS usually involves the bandwagoning of an individual in order to get discussion going. Thus, I was doing my quite extreme role of "BANDWAGON THE OBV SCUM IN THIS PERSON FOR [insert terrible reasons here]" which ensures that one of a few things happen:

a. the person gets bandwagoned

b. I get bandwagoned

c. both happen

d. everybody ignores me, I get pissed, and I turn into Clifford the big red dog.

startransmission
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Mysterious Mystery Man wrote:FOS: RayFrost

Only scum would be so sure of someone.

Good point. So why are you not hopping on the wagon?

Also, Happy Birthday!
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Wheeeeee...

Startransmission is town.

Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 pm

RayFrost wrote:
startransmission wrote:Hey all. For the sake of brevity you all can refer to me as start or ST or whatever.

Heh.

I deserve a random vote? I feel so special.

Anyway~

question for all of you:

Why so anxious?

Also, me using a random vote to apply huge pressure to somebody is actually a very good method for getting discussion going, since it somehow leads to you newbies voting me with the thought "omg, he's scum for pressuring somebody!"

Here are a few problems with your ideas:

1. Town can feel certain somebody is scum.

2. I never called for a quick lynch, just a lynch.

3. The RVS usually involves the bandwagoning of an individual in order to get discussion going. Thus, I was doing my quite extreme role of "BANDWAGON THE OBV SCUM IN THIS PERSON FOR [insert terrible reasons here]" which ensures that one of a few things happen:

a. the person gets bandwagoned

b. I get bandwagoned

c. both happen

d. everybody ignores me, I get pissed, and I turn into Clifford the big red dog.

DING DING! You just set off my super scuminator device. (It also goes WHOOP WHOOP!)

You just admitted to calling for a lynch in the RVS stage just because you didn't like that a guy had alts. If you are truly just trying to spark conversation, then why did also say you wanted a lynch?

Your posts look too passionate to be RVS, and unprovoked, so they can't be OMGUS.

Unvote

I'm not going to vote yet, because it's a well known fact the third person on a bandwagon is scum. But you do have the mother of all FOS's on you.

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:04 pm

lolfail.

Usually the RVS is also called the joke voting stage.

My overzealousness is to cause people to immediately take a stand.

You either somehow agree with me and jump on my wagon on umbreon that has limited reasoning (scum tell depending on how it's done) or you don't and jump on me.

Saying "this guy should be lynched, do it nao" in the RVS is to get discussion going, not to get the lynch.

Now, if the person, once pressure has been applied, ends up performing scumtells, that's a different matter. It turns from a RVS wagon to a real one.

Passion exists in the RVS.

Also, if you are worried about seeming scummy (third person on a bandwagon is scum - this is actually a fallacy long since proven wrong), then that shows that you are worried about seeming like scum, which, thus, makes you scum, as town don't need to worry so much about it.

unvote, vote: Mysterious Mystery Man

I actually have something that can be construed as a scumtell in MMM.

Also, just a tidbit, you shouldn't be taking my initial votes and calls for wagons to be 100% serious.

RayFrost wrote:(jokes are good, don't take this as a serious alt accusation, bubs)

Here is why:

Bold in the above post is proof I wasn't serious about it.

Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Mysterious Mystery Man wrote:
DING DING! You just set off my super scuminator device. (It also goes WHOOP WHOOP!)

You just admitted to calling for a lynch in the RVS stage just because you didn't like that a guy had alts. If you are truly just trying to spark conversation, then why did also say you wanted a lynch?

Your posts look too passionate to be RVS, and unprovoked, so they can't be OMGUS.

Unvote

I'm not going to vote yet, because it's a well known fact the third person on a bandwagon is scum. But you do have the mother of all FOS's on you.

It's a well known fact that scum will avoid doing things they find scummy, thus this post is scummy.

The short version of what I got from Rayfrost's last post is "here is why I did what I did. But what I did actually wasn't serious and I noted that in the post I did what I did, so I actually went out to get all these reactions despite the fact that I TOLD you guys not to take me seriously."

Yeah, Ray's confusing.

RayFrost
Survivor

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Well, actually:

Well, you are taking this too seriously.

This is a joke thing intended for us to get out of the joke thing from your serious reactions.

Serious reacitons lead to discussion.

Discussion leads out of joke thing.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games