AndrewS
Goon
AndrewS
Goon
Goon

Mini #139 - La Vendetta Della Mafia - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:07 pm

Post by AndrewS »

In a small town in northern Sicily, a town is rejoicing their victory against the 2 giant mafia families who had been oppressing them, the Castiglione family and the Davanzato family. The town was wild with a drunken hysteria, a giant party raging in town square. But little did they know that a sinister plot was being formed right under their very noses, for the two mafia bosses, Giovanni Castiglione and Astorre Davanzato, had barely survived the sting operation. They had planned for such an eventuality, and both realized the potential of the situation: Not only would the town be completely oblivious to the situation, but their opposing family would be weakened. The opportunity was at hand, the town was ripe for the picking. Unknowing, the town continued partying, late into the night.

Alive:

CoolBot
Internet Stranger
Cubsfan4life
Stewie
pwnz
vikingfan
Herbert West

Dead

Night Stalker, AKA Giovanni Castiglione, lynched day 1
Xanthe, AKA Bartolomeo Martino, shot night 1
MeMe, AKA Piero Castiglione, stabbed night 1
Halfpint, AKA Astorre Davanzato, shot night 1
rolandofthewhite, replacing bloojay AKA Antonio Davanzato, lynched day 2
Last edited by AndrewS on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:51 am, edited 8 times in total.
AndrewS
AndrewS
Goon
AndrewS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:18 pm

Post by AndrewS »

Rules: (Borrowed without permission from, Argoti, who borrowed them from somebody else who borrowed them from somebody else, etc, etc, etc.)
• Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
• Please be attentive and unvote, if necessary, before casting a new vote. If you don't unvote when you have your vote on someone, I will not be counting your new vote.
• Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may vote: no lynch – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
• The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.
• Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
• Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts
• Don’t quote any PMs from me.
• If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.
• If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
• Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be fun. Do your part
"I hear that random.org punches babies." - Thesp
AndrewS
AndrewS
Goon
AndrewS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:59 am

Post by AndrewS »

All roles have now been sent out, please remember to confirm via PM.
AndrewS
AndrewS
Goon
AndrewS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:33 am

Post by AndrewS »

All confirmations have been recieved, the game will now start at day 1. 12 of you are alive, so it takes 7 to lynch.
Cubsfan4life
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
A guy can dream, right?

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:42 am

Post by Cubsfan4life »

Vote: Night Stalker
just because.
I really need to find a good quote

89-73... an improvement if you look at it that way.
halfpint
halfpint
Goon
halfpint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:44 am

Post by halfpint »

Random Vote: vikingfan
Xanthe
Xanthe
Goon
Xanthe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:05 am

Post by Xanthe »

Hi everyone.

Random
Vote: Herbert West
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:09 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

Vote: Halfpint
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:54 am

Post by vikingfan »

Random vote Coolbot
AndrewS
AndrewS
Goon
AndrewS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:30 am

Post by AndrewS »

Vote count:

Night Stalker (1): cubsfan4life
vikingfan (1): halfpint
Herbert West (1): Xanthe
Halfpint (1): Internet Stranger
Coolbot (1): vikingfan
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:33 am

Post by MeMe »

Let's see...who's up...

vote: bloojay
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:14 am

Post by vikingfan »

So what do people think about the game starting in day? Given the fact that we have no information to go on, I'm wondering if the best way to play might be to have a lot of information on the first day where people discuss possibilities, go no lynch, have a couple of deaths and then refer back to the first day's information to get a better grip on who should be lynched.

If not, what would you recommend, other than blindly lynching and hoping we don't get a cop or doc?
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:11 am

Post by MeMe »

I think that

1) Day one no-lynch is always a bad idea for the town
2) Suggesting it this early is suspicious
3) I should vote for the most suspicious player

unvote: bloojay
vote: vikingfan

If we were completely mystified after several days of discussion, it may have been appropriate to suggest no-lynch (even though I'd still be against it).
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:07 am

Post by vikingfan »

And I expected the vote, so I'm not surprised. That said, starting off with random votes will get us nowhere, so I decided to throw out a discussion topic for some to chew on. Doing that usually gets me suspicious for the crowd, and unfortunately, I have been incorrectly lynched twice already within the last couple of weeks for doing so. Ask yourself this, though: if I was a real mafia, would I call attention to myself so blatantly by suggesting no-lynch? I've seen others in other games get lynched for doing so and they've usually been innocent-though, of course, there's always exceptions. I'm generally much more suspicious of those who fly under the radar, agree with others, don't rock the boat, and don't make controversial accusations-think Mathcam in the last mini-invitational. The best example here would be discer in Mountainous Mafia I. He wasn't controversial and went all the way to the end to win it.

In general, though, speaking as a general student of Mafia, why would it be bad IN this case to no-lynch? The reason I say this is that in this case, it would be no different than starting off the game with night like most minis do, though you would have the benefit of an additional day's knowledge. It WOULD be a very bad idea, I agree, if you had only one killing group, as lynching is the only way you can get rid of the mafia. This game is different, however-you have two, so the mafia's odds are much higher of killing each other. Consider Mini 137, for instance, where the SK killed the godfather. Obviously, that doesn't happen often, but in games like this, the odds are high that one mafia will kill another mafia sometime during the game at night. Thus, why risk sacrificing an additional townie? I speak in general as a student of Mafia, though this game is obviously way too early to talk in specifics about this game.

(prepares to dive into flame-retardant suit) :wink:
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:11 am

Post by vikingfan »

Oh, and why did I bring it up if I expected the vote? Simply, the game never seems to go anywhere the first day because people stick in the random vote stage for awhile and have trouble getting out of it. So I wanted to get discussion going and this was the best way I could think of.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:37 am

Post by MeMe »

Well, viking -- often inexperienced scum will suggest no-lynch so they 1) don't look too bloodthirsty and 2) because successfully getting the town to agree will definitely spare scum that day.

Regarding this...
vikingfan wrote:The reason I say this is that in this case, it would be no different than starting off the game with night like most minis do, though you would have the benefit of an additional day's knowledge. It WOULD be a very bad idea, I agree, if you had only one killing group, as lynching is the only way you can get rid of the mafia. This game is different, however-you have two, so the mafia's odds are much higher of killing each other.
I've a few things to say:
  • A greater likelihood of scum taking each other out at night also translates to a greater likelihood of a bandwagon hitting a scum.
  • Two scum groups also makes it likely that the
    town
    will be reduced more quickly overnight.
  • It's possible that the reason we started during the day was to give the town a chance to have our "turn" first because we've got more scum than usual.
  • If we do gain any knowledge, it will also be gained by the mafia.
  • The only "real" information we will get can only be gleaned from actually playing the game, i.e., voting/lynching. Seeing who votes whom during the day & the role of the eventual lynchee is the best way to get usable information during the day. Any other info we have is, simply, words. And remember -- those wily scum like to lie.
  • Scum are very often caught up in double-talk/contradiction, resulting from pressure. Remove the pressure of the possibility of being lynched, and you remove the likelihood of scum making a mistake.
I'll keep my vote where it is for now.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:41 am

Post by Stewie »

I do agree that you wouldn't do that if you were mafia, since it's plain suspicious in anyone's eyes. And if you were mafia, you can't possibly expect the town to follow. It's better to lynch someone, so that we have even MORE information the next day. Am I right?

Oh, Random
vote: IS
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:44 am

Post by vikingfan »

Cool, now I get it. I just wasn't seeing why it was a bad idea to no-lynch the first every day every single time. I easily understood why with ONE killing group, rather than two.

Regarding the first paragraph, I can see this. However, in general, 80 or 90% of the time(at least from the games I've read here), it's usually an innocent townie who mentions it.

I knew what I was letting myself in for when I mentioned the no-lynch, but I figured it was a risk worth taking so I could understand the logistics of no-lynching the first day with 2 killing groups. The point of perhaps having more scum than usual hadn't occurred to me.

So where do we go from here?
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:32 pm

Post by Internet Stranger »

Meme is so vicious that its scary. And no lynch is never an option. In fact, it should be banned.

On that note. I see Viking as nothing more than a lost newbie. Lets lynch a lurker and go from there please.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:56 pm

Post by vikingfan »

No, not a lost newbie-I've played this game for awhile, both here and IRL(much longer in the latter). Just getting the hang of general Mafia strategy with 2 mafia groups. I've played with mafia and an SK, but not two mafia killing groups before.

As for lurkers, CoolBot, bloojay, pwnz, Night Stalker, and Herbert West have yet to post. I've already got my vote on CoolBot so...

In any case, it's been one day so far, far too early to go after lurkers.
Herbert West
Herbert West
Goon
Herbert West
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:18 pm

Post by Herbert West »

Give us a chance!! Last time I checked (yesterday morning) the thread was still locked!

Random vote : Stewie

Oh, and
if I was a real mafia, would I call attention to myself so blatantly by suggesting no-lynch?
Could be a double bluff. Particularly when it's followed by comments like :
I do agree that you wouldn't do that if you were mafia, since it's plain suspicious in anyone's eyes
Remember kids, animals are a tasty alternative to tofu.

To avoid 'lurker' compaints, I only have network access while I'm at work, (9-5ish GMT Monday to Friday). No weekend access.
halfpint
halfpint
Goon
halfpint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:40 am

Post by halfpint »

vikingfan wrote: As for lurkers, CoolBot, bloojay, pwnz, Night Stalker, and Herbert West have yet to post. I've already got my vote on CoolBot so...

In any case, it's been one day so far, far too early to go after lurkers.
I agree, and also think it's too early to start calling people lurkers. Let's give people a little time to realize that the game has started. Some people have actual lives (unlike ... *cough*me*cough*). :D

I also think that the idea of a no-lynch this early on is silly (although I have never played in a game where that has ever been done .... well, IRL I have but that was a long time ago). Newbie games start in day also, they rarely do no-lynchs (well, the ones that I have read), and town wins a lot (although I could be wrong on this ... this is just the impression that I get).
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:19 am

Post by vikingfan »

True that town wins a lot when games start in day-however, in those games role-claiming is pretty hard when the roles are already known.

Any theories on the number of scum? I'm thinking it's pretty likely we have the 2 mafia bosses of both families plus a henchman or 2. The only trick with that is that if you have 2 godfathers, it makes it hard for the town to win. Any thoughts here?
CoolBot
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
CoolBot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:25 pm

Post by CoolBot »

Geez, viking, first no lynch and now lurker hunting when the game isn't even 48 hours old? Just why are you so intent on not going after scum?
Cubsfan4life
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
A guy can dream, right?

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:19 pm

Post by Cubsfan4life »

But lurkers are suspicious
I really need to find a good quote

89-73... an improvement if you look at it that way.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”