Test 3 -- Moving around

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Test 3 -- Moving around

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:29 am

Post by Yaw »

Just getting down a few ideas here regarding formatting the forum for thread-by-person play.

The way I see this working now, each player individually interacts with a mod in his/her own personal thread. Mods move from thread to thread as the player moves -- so if a player is in the Old City, the Old City mod is modding the thread, when they move to the South Mercantile District, the South Mercantile District mod takes over at the border, and so on. If a player's moving through a boundary, a little "heads-up" can be sent to the mod who has to take over. Mods and players will post time stamps in this thread, to keep track of when and where a player is at any given time.

We can also keep a mod-only thread for each district, administered by the mod. This would contain the most recent location and time stamp of each player in the district. As it's accessible to anyone, this gives players the ability to plan to meet up.

Some issues:

What if player A reaches location X at a certain game time (GT), then leaves. Player B reaches location X at the same GT player A was there, but after player A left board time (BT). What happens?

Best solution thus far is that player B sees player A, notices player A isn't paying attention. Player A isn't paying attention, so doesn't see player B. This could lead to problems if they were in a situation that would logically require interaction.

What happens when players do meet up? It's inefficient to cross post occurences in each thread. Might be best to create a new one with a pointer from each player's thread involved.

Posting locations may give players information they shouldn't have. However, that's a problem for having open threads in general. We should be able to figure out when players are acting on this, though, and be prepared to discipline accordingly. This
is
cheating.

Open for comment.
Success breeds suspicion
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:34 am

Post by Dourgrim »

Bleh... I'm going to sound rather unopinionated here, but I agree with each and every point here, including the "best solution" idea. That's how this sort of thing has always worked in other post-based RPGs I've seen, and that's how it should be handled here too, I think.
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:02 pm

Post by Yaw »

One point I forgot to mention.

In addition to the above, we really don't want any players getting too far ahead of others in game time (GT). So I think we should pick midnight as a "matching time". That is, players can go at their own pace until they hit midnight. Then they have to wait until all the other players in the game hit midnight before doing anything else. The next day then starts at exactly the same time for everyone in the game.

New players can of course join up at any time. They'd just appear in the game for the first time at midnight, when everyone switches days. This makes the new player aspect a bit easier to handle as well.
Success breeds suspicion
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:42 pm

Post by Yaw »

Ok, let's try this out.

I'll mod. Since they're mapped completely, we'll wander around the Old City and the Civil District. Here's what I propose for the test participants:

Start out at different locations (possibly different times). At some point during the test, try to meet up. Then do some more wandering around as a group.

Just post /in in this thread, and be ready to come with a character.
Success breeds suspicion
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:31 pm

Post by Pie_is_good »

/in
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.

Return to “Old Aamstaad”