Cubsfan4life (Corleone Cop) - lynched day 4
CoolBot (Good Cop) - killed night 5
Quailman (Good Cop) - killed night 5
Xanthe (Barzini Cop) - lynched day 5
KingEnigma (Good Cop) - killed night 6
sycko999 (replacing spork76) (Good Cop) - lynched(?) day 6
NanooktheWolf (Good Cop) - killed night 7
Save the Dragons (Corleone Cop) - killed night 7

New York, 1946. A bloody war between Mafia families has begun, and while the NYPD probably has enough to worry about already, the boys in blue have been warned to look out for suspicious behavior within. Everyone is involved in a little honest graft, but some are into more shady deals with the criminal underworld. All good police officers have been asked to use their investigative skills (as inadequate as they may be) to find the bad seeds and put them away.

Setup:

4 Barzini Cops:

You are a Cop loyal to the Barzini Family. Each night, one of you may make a kill, while the other three can use their investigative powers. Among you, one is Sane (gets correct result every time), one is Insane (gets incorrect result every time), one is Paranoid (gets "bad cop" every time), and one is Naïve (gets "good cop" every time). Note that the choice of killer only affects who doesn't get to make a investigation; everyone in the group will come up the same to any other investigation, regardless of whether they killed that night or not.

You can send your four choices as a group or individually; I prefer individually so I know that everyone is active in the game. In the event that more than one of you has a kill choice in at deadline, I will choose the kill choice from the most recent group orders (if there is one), or the most recent individual kill order if there isn't a group order, and the other kill choices will be void.

If you have any questions, PM me. It's night 1, choices (and confirmations if someone in your group is sending your choice) due at deadline (see thread).

4 Corleone Cops:

You are a Cop loyal to the Corleone Family. Each night, one of you may make a kill, while the other three can use their investigative powers. Among you, one is Sane (gets correct result every time), one is Insane (gets incorrect result every time), one is Paranoid (gets "bad cop" every time), and one is Naïve (gets "good cop" every time). Note that the choice of killer only affects who doesn't get to make a investigation; everyone in the group will come up the same to any other investigation, regardless of whether they killed that night or not.

You can send your four choices as a group or individually; I prefer individually so I know that everyone is active in the game. In the event that more than one of you has a kill choice in at deadline, I will choose the kill choice from the most recent group orders (if there is one), or the most recent individual kill order if there isn't a group order, and the other kill choices will be void.

If you have any questions, PM me. It's night 1, choices (and confirmations if someone in your group is sending your choice) due at deadline (see thread).

12 Good Cops:

You are an honest Cop. Each night, you may investigate one other player. Among the honest Cops, three are Sane (gets correct result every time), three are Insane (gets incorrect result every time), three are Paranoid (gets "bad cop" every time), and three are Naïve (gets "good cop" every time).

If you have any questions, PM me. It's night 1, choices due at deadline (see thread).

Standard Rules:

1. The moderator's ruling is final. If you think that a decision is unfair, feel free to post why you think so after the game is over. Moderators can always use constructive criticism. Do not, however, be nasty about it.
2. Do not post anything game-related at night. Most moderators will close the threads at night, but it is still your responsibility to check that it is daytime before you post. (note: Only an issue in twilight, as I will be locking threads. See below.)
3. Do not post anything game-related (even "I suspect him!") once you are dead. In particular, if day has just started, make sure that you haven't died before revealing information you just received at night.
4. Votes should look like:
Vote: Player
. Some moderators will not count a vote unless it is in this format. (note: Unvotes for switches are not necessary, but include them if you like.)
5. Never show emails or PMs from the moderator to anyone in the game. Quoting your PM to prove your innocence is strictly forbidden. (note: Not relevant, the PMs are quoted above.)
6. Do not discuss the game with other players outside of the thread unless you are part of the group, and only do that at night.
7. Do not sign up for a game under two different names. You will get caught, and possibly banned if I am feeling mean. (Ok, probably not, but moderators are unlikely to let you play.)
8. Lynching requires a >50% majority. If a deadline is required (see 9), the player with the most votes will be lynches as long as they have >1/3 of the population voting for them. If there is a tie, then:
a. If it is a 50-50 split, both will be lynched.
b. If there are players not voting for one of the two, day will continue until someone unvotes, switches, or adds a vote to one of the two.
9. Deadlines will only be used if the post rate drops below a 1 post per player for day average. For the purposes of this rules, consecutive posts by the same player will be counted as one post. Deadlines will last 48 hours, not counting Sundays, and will be very strict since there will be no role claiming or cop/etc. information revealed.
10. As soon as someone reaches a majority, or the deadline is reached, day is over. Try to remember to check the thread before you post if it is near a majority/deadline.
11. Night deadlines will last a minimum of 48 hours and a maximum of 72 hours, not counting Sundays. As soon as I have the Mafia choice after the minimum, I will post the scene and day will start. Therefore, if you want to use your vigilante kill, send it ASAP.

(note: This series of games will be mirrored on the GL (assuming I can get 20 to sign up over there ;)). If you sign up there, don't sign up here, and vice versa. Since it's possible that an interesting strategy might come up in any of the games, I would prefer you did not read the other game until yours is completed, but that is, of course, unenforcable.)
Last edited by mith on Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:55 am, edited 18 times in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:08 am

Post by mith »

I've had a few questions asked that should be answered publicly. They are paraphrased, so don't try to read anything into writing style. :P

Question: If I investigate someone who dies, will I still get a result for them?

Answer: Normally in my games, the answer is no. This is because it gives the town a bit of an extra edge; if a cop can figure out who the Mafia are likely to kill, they get extra information about their sanity.

However, in this game, since the Mafia also have investigations, investigations will be resolved before killings.

Question: In Mafia groups, can we investigate each other?

Answer: No. Or, rather, you can, but you will receive "Bad" automatically. You already know that you're scum with them, you're not *that* insane/naïve.

Question: Is a dead player's sanity revealed?

Answer: No. Only their alignment is revealed. (It might make an interesting variant sometime to reveal their sanity *instead* of their alignment, but not this game.)

Question: In Mafia groups, will we be given time to discuss our investigation results before day?

Answer: A compromise, here. You will not be given time to discuss results (day will begin as results are being given out). You *will*, however, be told what results your group got.

If you have any more questions, feel free to send them. The answers will not necessarily be made public, it depends on the question.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:44 pm

Post by mith »

Waiting on a handful of choices, I'll give it until this afternoon, since most people aren't awake yet. :)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:15 am

Post by mith »

Question: Can we investigate ourselves?

Answer: See question 2. You're not *that* insane.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:34 am

Post by mith »

It's midnight, but the NYPD never sleeps... particularly when they are busy investigating each other. Some of the force snoops around others' houses, while some compile evidence from other sources. They look at each other in the halls as they pass, sometimes with suspicion, and sometimes sharing a sinister smile suggesting some sort of secret sameness.

Two, however, don't report for their shifts the next day.

Flying Dutchman (Corleone Cop) and Thoth (Good Cop) are dead. It's day, 10 to lynch.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:52 am

Post by mith »

Ok, all results have been sent, check your PMs and get to lynchin'.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:03 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Yay! First to post! That means, what, I get two or three random votes on me to start? :lol:

Teh Randomizer hath spoken again:
Random Vote: DarkLight140

(see? I spelled his name right!)

Good luck all, and may the good cops win! 8)
Permanent V/LA.
Flying Dutchman
Flying Dutchman
I never think
Flying Dutchman
I never think
I never think

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:06 am

Post by Flying Dutchman »

BAH!!
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:07 am

pwnt.
Permanent V/LA.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:31 am

Post by Fuldu »

mith wrote:sometimes with suspicion, and sometimes sharing a sinister smile suggesting some sort of secret sameness.
Hmm... alliteration. But mith is a
good
writer, and this much alliteration is evidence of
bad
writing. It must be a hint!
vote: spork76
:wink:
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
Xanthe
Xanthe
Goon
Xanthe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:39 am

Post by Xanthe »

Hi everyone.

Random
Vote: lulu muumuu
Quailman
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:45 am

Post by Quailman »

I think Nanook is evil.
vote: Nanook
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:00 am

So, are we to understand that that is not a random vote? Do you trust your investigation enough to vote for him, assuming you did investigate him?
Permanent V/LA.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:17 am

Post by jeep »

I survived! Totally unexpected. I didn't give this enough thought, but I'm leaning towards assuming that the same strategy used for Dethy will work here, just a little more logc is required to figure out who is cleared, since there will be 2 people who MUST lie.

Clearly no one can trust their investigation, this is an open setup game. No twists here. Therefore, I put forth the plan that we all reveal our investigations. Anyone see a reason not to assume that Dethy Logic won't apply here?

-JEEP
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:19 am

Post by Fuldu »

There's no reason he should trust it enough at this stage. No one (except scum and anybody who investigated FD or Thoth) has enough information to come to useful conclusions about their info at this point. Quailman's been around long enough that he ought to know that.

Basically, all anyone can say on the basis of one uncorroborated investigation is that they're
more likely[/b] to be naive/sane (innocent result) or
more likely
to be paranoid/insane (scum result). With a 12v4v4 setup like this, even those "more likely"s aren't very strong -- 60%, I think, with each half of the relevant / being equally probable. Anyone who investigated Thoth can know that they are
definitively
naive/sane or paranoid/insane, depending on their result.
Similarly, anyone who investigated FD can know that they are
definitively
naive/insane or paranoid/sane, again depending on the result. Scum, of course, can pool their information to do much better.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:30 am

Post by Fuldu »

jeep, I haven't thought this all the way through, but can't the two fake results bank on hiding with the two dead results? And, if that's the case, how will revealing results help us today? Tomorrow I can see where shared results might be useful, but isn't it more helpful to scum today on who to kill tonight?

When ralphmerridew (I think) ran dethy^3 at GL, we no lynched for two days, then shared results and the game went to town. With the 11v4v3 we have left, it isn't obvious that we can afford to waste two days, but I also feel like it's too early to share results. I haven't seen the original dethy, so if you'd like to elaborate on the plan a bit more, I'd appreciate the clarification.
Quailman
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Quailman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:55 am

Post by Quailman »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:So, are we to understand that that is not a random vote? Do you trust your investigation enough to vote for him, assuming you did investigate him?
I don't trust my result any more than you trust your own. Someone's got to swing today, so I volunteered Nanook in order to get more information about my own investigation.

Actually, I thought people would have been offering up results by the time I logged on. Perhaps as in the last game, it would behoove us to wait a day or two before we all share our investigations.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:23 am

Post by jeep »

Fuldu wrote:jeep, I haven't thought this all the way through, but can't the two fake results bank on hiding with the two dead results? And, if that's the case, how will revealing results help us today? Tomorrow I can see where shared results might be useful, but isn't it more helpful to scum today on who to kill tonight?
Well, there is only 1 result that they can hide in and no one knows that sanity, so it's likely we can catch them just like in Dethy. Tomorrow, the mafia will be able to hide more easily because there will be more dead. If we get all the results today, we can go through the process just like in Dethy.... does everyone understand how to do that?
I haven't seen the original dethy, so if you'd like to elaborate on the plan a bit more, I'd appreciate the clarification.
Dethy was played a LOT in chat and I had it down to a science (as did several others... who else here played a lot of Dethy?

The basic strategy for Dethy:
Everyone reveals. Then you go through and ASSUME one person at a time is guilty and try to find a way to make it possible. If you don't find a way to make it possible (ex. requires 2 naive cops), then you have someone cleared. You then repeat assuming each person is innocent (this yields fewer hits in the early days). By forcing the mafia to claim day 1, you force them to limit their choices on sanity. And it's doubly hard here, because they won't know if they investigated mafia or townie!

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:38 am

Post by jeep »

Sorry for double post, I realize one difficulty here. In Dethy, when you assume one player is guilty, then you know the rest are assumed innocent. And the "repeat assuming each person is innocent" should have read SANE instead of INNOCENT.

I still like revealing to force the two players who did the killing last night to have to commit to a reduced subset of sanities, therefore making it harder for them to hide.

-JEEP
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:18 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

I agree with jeep on this one. We need to reveal our results. It might help us in the long run.

But it
is
odd that jeep survived Night 1, so
Semi-Random Vote: jeep
. :)
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
Electra
Electra
Goon
Electra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:05 am

Post by Electra »

I would also agree with revealing the results now. Not necessarily to get the killers to claim, but since we're going to have a lot of dead "townies," it would help us narrow down which roles are already dead.

Should we go in any specific order?

voteh teh peacebringer
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:19 am

Post by jeep »

rolandofthewhite wrote:But it
is
odd that jeep survived Night 1
I'm not Antrax, so I won't go into apoplexy... BUT, I think I put forth the most logical reason. Both groups assumed the other would target me.
Vote: rolandofthewhite
, logic like that is NOT needed in this game.

-JEEP
Cubsfan4life
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
A guy can dream, right?

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:29 am

Post by Cubsfan4life »

Hmm- I'm not quite sure about this plan. In regular dethy the mafia can not investigate while in hear they can. So, each scum ARE a type of cop. It also says in that questions section that Scum find out the results all their buddies got. So, doesn't this in essence take out the upside to all of us revealing our night 1 results?
I really need to find a good quote

89-73... an improvement if you look at it that way.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:30 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

I was just kidding, jeep.
Ergo, the :) .

Unvote: jeep
. I didn't mean to make you angry.
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
NanookTheWolf
NanookTheWolf
R.I.P. He trusted mathcam.
NanookTheWolf

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:33 am

Post by NanookTheWolf »

Thanks Quailman for the offer, but I'd rather not ... :P

Anyways,
Random Vote: Coolbot
for now.

I also would really like to go with the original dethy strategy that we used in the chat rooms. It works pretty good, and surprisingly enough Yaw's not playing this game.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”