TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Open 271 - No Lynchin' the VTs

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:07 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Quck n' Dirty Rule Set:

1. Play to your win condition.
2. Keep it at least moderately polite and respectful.
3. Don't quote anything not publicly available in the thread.
4. Don't discuss this game outside the thread.
5. No hidden text or complex cryptography.
6. Don't post in Red.
7. Replacements 48 hours after prod goes out if that player hasn't contacted me or posted in thread.
8. Votes must be in bold and follow the format Vote: Player Name.
9.You may unvote; it however isn't necessary.
10. If no one reaches a majority by the end of the day a No Lynch will occur.
11. If you have any questions just ask in bold.
12. As the mod I get to change anything at anytime.

Alive (5):

drmyshottyizsik
CheeseDeluxe
yabbaguy
ConfidAnon
brokenscraps

Dead (2):

whatami
shot N1.
Da_Mafia_Godfather
shot N2.
Last edited by TheButtonmen on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:09 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Set up:

5 VTs
2 Goons

Special Rule:

If a VT would be lynched instead a NL occurs.

Sample PM:

VT Role PM wrote: Role Name: Vanilla Townie
Faction: Town
Role Notes: You have no night action, your vote is your weapon, however if you would be lynched instead a NL will occur.
Win Condition: So long as at least one member of the town is alive you win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:25 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Game will start once 5 people have confirmed in thread.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:26 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

/confirm
BS is scum
#freeShotty
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:27 am

Post by yabbaguy »

/confirm

I love it. shotty's cockiness
still
isn't gone. :lol:
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:29 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

and it never will be.
I'm calling it now
BS and CD
#freeShotty
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:58 am

Post by ConfidAnon »

/confirm
Da_Mafia_Godfather
Da_Mafia_Godfather
Goon
Da_Mafia_Godfather
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:26 am

Post by Da_Mafia_Godfather »

/Da Mafia Godfather confirms.
CheeseDeluxe
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by CheeseDeluxe »

Confirm.
drmyshotty is scum, calling it now.
With a win record of 0-1, I'm officially the worst player on here.
whatami
whatami
Townie
whatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Post by whatami »

comfirming
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

Alrighty with the confirms in the game is a go, those of you with QTs can no longer use them until N1 starts.

With seven alive it's four to lynch.

At the moment there is no deadline but should the day drag on or activity start to die off that may change.

yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:45 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

No deadline. Now we have to be careful not to drag this game into apathy mode. By the time we've hit the mod's baseline minimum in activity, it likely will have been too late to generate active scumhunting material with the way we drag on. Doesn't have to be a 3 page lynch, but if you feel yourself hitting a wall and we're talking in circles, please by all means shout and say "get on with it". Of course, make sure you're happy enough that your vote is on your top suspect at that point.

---

Shall we begin? I'd like to see if shotty's crapshoot picks finally come around and work for him. It's a 1/15 chance he's nailed it from his perspective and mine, but surely he's played 15 games by this point, so I'm banking on statistical inevitability.

Now there's one complication to this issue, if shotty's drawn a scum role, he's wrong himself. So 2/6 of the time, I can conclusively call the statement false. That therefore means that 4/6 of the time, he's got said 1/15 chance of calling it correctly. That therefore means I have to multiply 4/6 by 1/15. That gives me a 4/90 = 2/45 chance that shotty's prediction is correct. Statistically in the long run, he should have it right in a 7P setup every 1 in about 23 games.

Then I need to realize that I'm being an idiot here. The chances of him getting it right each time are independent. I therefore have to base it off the fact that he's had a 0% success rate in all likelihood making these picks, given his complete idiocy and ineptitude at finding scum. Now I have to reverse this probability chain and figure out the probability that, given that he's wrong, what the probability is that he's scum. I come to the conclusion, based on all this, that the probability is slightly greater than 1/3, about .34. That's marginally better than my 1/3 chance.

But wait, something's up here. What if this one time, shotty actually does have it right? If shotty's called the scumpair, that obviously means he's got it right. But that's a 1/15 chance. If that's the case, this entire model crumbles.

As you can see, statistics make absolutely no sense in a game where nothing has been introduced yet. But because it's fun, and because I think shotty makes a good lynch in any game regardless of alignment, I'd like to start off with him.

Vote: drmyshottyizsik

Random vote.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

brokenscraps
brokenscraps
Goon
brokenscraps
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Post by brokenscraps »

And I actually read your whole post and even tried to make sense of the statistics expecting something useful to emerge.

/confirm btw

I know it isn't necessarily my job to say it but I'd strongly recommend the three people without avatars get them asap, it makes it a lot easier for everybody to play the game, allowing your posts to be recognized as yours quickly and easily.

And now for vote time. Looks like we have some brand spanking new players in this game, so I'm going to take this opportunity to take the mafia virginity of the absolute newest member of the board (yep, I checked the front page, it's true) with a nice juicy vote:

vote:whatami

Welcome to mafiascum. Payment for entry is one decent explanation of why I should stop voting for you.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

And I actually read your whole post and even tried to make sense of the statistics expecting something useful to emerge.
:lol:

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Post by ConfidAnon »

Vote: Da_Mafia_Godfather

There's no godfather in the setup. Obvious fakeclaim is obvious.
CheeseDeluxe
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
CheeseDeluxe
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Post by CheeseDeluxe »

Sternly glare: ConfidAnon

I'm not too sure if you were joking.

Oh, yabba? I wouldn't exactly go for that. That just gives me a bad impression right there. Why are you voting on an incredibly random hunch? Random lynching right off the bat is kind of a scumtell. At least, for me. Then there's the fact that ConfidAnon could also be lynching for the sole purpose of getting rid of people. And then there's brokenscraps voting for the absolute newguy, which is probably wrong.

FoS: Everyone who just voted (yabbaguy, brokenscraps, ConfidAnon)

(If it isn't clear to anyone, I'm new to this game. Not that new, but not that experienced.)
With a win record of 0-1, I'm officially the worst player on here.
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Post by ConfidAnon »

CheeseDeluxe wrote:
Sternly glare: ConfidAnon

I'm not too sure if you were joking.

Oh, yabba? I wouldn't exactly go for that. That just gives me a bad impression right there. Why are you voting on an incredibly random hunch? Random lynching right off the bat is kind of a scumtell. At least, for me. Then there's the fact that ConfidAnon could also be lynching for the sole purpose of getting rid of people. And then there's brokenscraps voting for the absolute newguy, which is probably wrong.

FoS: Everyone who just voted (yabbaguy, brokenscraps, ConfidAnon)

(If it isn't clear to anyone, I'm new to this game. Not that new, but not that experienced.)
Most games on this site begin with an RVS (random voting stage). We basically screw around until someone says something meaningful enough to start discussion.

I now declare the RVS to be over, as I don't like your first post compulsively stated your newness in a kind-of-defensive manner.

Unvote, Vote: CheeseDeluxe
Da_Mafia_Godfather
Da_Mafia_Godfather
Goon
Da_Mafia_Godfather
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:24 am

Post by Da_Mafia_Godfather »

Da Mafia Godfather also dislikes the way that Cheese does something absolutely crazy and then mentions (as a side note) that they're new as way of explanation. It feels like a trick.

Vote: Cheese

Da Mafia Godfather also does not like the way that CA declared the RVS over as such Da Mafia Godfather will
FOS: CA
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:43 am

Post by ConfidAnon »

Da_Mafia_Godfather wrote:Da Mafia Godfather also dislikes the way that Cheese
does something absolutely crazy
and then mentions (as a side note) that they're new as way of explanation. It feels like a trick.

Vote: Cheese

Da Mafia Godfather also does not like the way that CA declared the RVS over as such Da Mafia Godfather will
FOS: CA
I'm not entirely sure what you meant by the bolded.

Could you please explain?
whatami
whatami
Townie
whatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:51 am

Post by whatami »

lets try this, yabb just started us off with a bunch of techno babble, fractions, and percentages that are inclined to makes us trust him without actually providing anything useful to this game "he said so himself". However in saying so and in addition to the techno babble that sounds math like and "I'm informed hey trust me" look. He has attempted to divulge himself of all responsibility of posting in this fashion by admitting that the post was useless or a "random vote". The vote has nothing to do with this and rather the foundation he attempted to establish with the vote. Thus I am perfectly content to state that yabb is scum and that your better reason for not voting me is because your vote could be placed better elsewhere. without further ado
vote yabb
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:57 am

Post by ConfidAnon »

whatami wrote:lets try this, yabb just started us off with a bunch of techno babble, fractions, and percentages that are inclined to makes us trust him without actually providing anything useful to this game "he said so himself". However in saying so and in addition to the techno babble that sounds math like and "I'm informed hey trust me" look. He has attempted to divulge himself of all responsibility of posting in this fashion by admitting that the post was useless or a "random vote". The vote has nothing to do with this and rather the foundation he attempted to establish with the vote. Thus I am perfectly content to state that yabb is scum and that your better reason for not voting me is because your vote could be placed better elsewhere. without further ado
vote yabb
You realize that post was a joke, right?
whatami
whatami
Townie
whatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:16 am

Post by whatami »

No, what I realize is that that post was couched in the form of a a joke and was actually a bid to gain the trust of those around him. Even though its sounds like a joke someone who posts techno babble in that friendly manner could and in this game probably is using a psychological technique to endear and gain the trust of those around him. I stand by my completely non random vote.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:20 am

Post by yabbaguy »

I've seen many a newbie land in this site and nobody and nothing told them about RVS before they walked into a game, although the fact that the humor bounced off of them is curious. Understandable, I suppose. Cheese and whatami, have you seen the mafiascum Wiki though? It's a good *start* to learning about how Mafia works on this site and all the possible abbreviations you may run across that have surfaced within our site. It will not give you all the answers to everything that comes up in this game, (i.e. you can't take every post from scum and apply a tell listed there to it), but it's a good start for understanding concepts.

Sidenote, random voting is more of an event in the game that dissipates as players feel like pursuing things more seriously, although staying un-serious for a prolonged period of time is anti-Town. I'm not sure why Da_Maf is squawking at ConfidAnon over "calling an end", but the point is, it's not so much a "stage" that one player can immediately call over. In this case, I'm actually going to keep my vote on shotty at minimum until he says something D1.

yabbaguy is also confused at Da Maf for saying that Cheese is somehow pulling a trick by pulling the newbie card, although it's intriguing that Da Maf appears equally new and may have another perspective. yabbaguy is also confused at Da Maf's usage of third person and feels it pretentious more than anything.

whatami is still scrounging for reasons as I write this to somehow interpret my first post as psychological manipulation, and it's simply false.

Unvote, Vote: whatami

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

whatami
whatami
Townie
whatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:36 am

Post by whatami »

No, it is not false, yes, I have played mafia quite a bit before, no I am not a newbie, no, your omgus is not effective, yes, I do know all about the RVS, and no, I am not removing my vote.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:56 am

Post by yabbaguy »

It's not OMGUS. The definition of OMGUS is that I voted purely "cuz you're voting for me." I'm voting for you because your reason for voting me is
bad

There's no way you're 100% sure in one page. Guaranteed.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

Return to “Completed Open Games”