Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1400 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 am

Post by Tasky »

Maxous wrote:Not to sound smart, but in a confirmed one-faction game we were not going to beleive that a mafia would be night killed by themselves.
We would of known they were town.

omg. you are right (except for the 1-shot vig). then I guess making the janitor lynch-too was necessary.
I feel stupid now. maybe it was lynch-revives I was worried about after all.
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
Exe
Exe
Mafia Scum
Exe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1401 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 am

Post by Exe »

I am so saddenned by Jil's play......

That quick-claim killed him SO HARD.

Also, I worked SO HARD to bus my scumbuddies because I would get legitimate reactions out of them (since they didn't know who I was) and then they no-flipped....

Sigh.

Also, I don't think my role was technically a traitor role...?
Note: Weekends are my busiest time. Expect me to not post much from Friday to Sunday.

Do not expect me to play to a meta.
Tragedy
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Tragedy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1402 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:02 am

Post by Tragedy »

Town Suicide Bomber never sounds town anymore.
I blame you for this.
For I have been awaiting for another heart pounding segment of
Dokidoki Precure!

[10/15/2013 - 00:13] -
Tragedy
~
I wish for Kami-nii-sama to have better naming skills.
Exe
Exe
Mafia Scum
Exe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1403 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am

Post by Exe »

Tragedy wrote:Town Suicide Bomber never sounds town anymore.

It's not that, it's that the OBVIOUS response to town suicide bomber is "Well then kill this person. One of you are probably scum so it's a good 1:1 trade."

Never ever ever claim suicide town anything as scum. Ever.
Note: Weekends are my busiest time. Expect me to not post much from Friday to Sunday.

Do not expect me to play to a meta.
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1404 (ISO) » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:32 am

Post by imaginality »

Night-janitoring would still have had value for scum - although town would be pretty sure the victim was town-aligned, only scum would've known the target's role. Provides a nice fakeclaim opportunity if they successfully target the power roles.
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
jilynne1991
jilynne1991
Mafia Scum
jilynne1991
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1405 (ISO) » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:57 am

Post by jilynne1991 »

Ok, sorry, I was obviously squirming in the end, and I didn't know how to get out of it. Once again...scum loses a game because of me. *pats self on the back* Sorry, you guys! ;(
Show
Lost four games as scum.

Lost thirteen games as town.

Won two games as scum.

Won two games as town.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #1406 (ISO) » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:36 am

Post by GreyICE »

Tasky wrote:
Maxous wrote:Not to sound smart, but in a confirmed one-faction game we were not going to beleive that a mafia would be night killed by themselves.
We would of known they were town.

omg. you are right (except for the 1-shot vig). then I guess making the janitor lynch-too was necessary.
I feel stupid now. maybe it was lynch-revives I was worried about after all.

Actually, I would have been very tempted to shoot janitor someone night 1, and shoot-janitor myself night 2 with that mechanic. And then be resurrected via time traveling roleblocker at some point.

Which would have really driven the town insane if they lost to it, but this is why roles like 'doctor,' 'vigilante,' 'roleblocker,' 'jailkeeper,' etc. would have been better ideas.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1407 (ISO) » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:26 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Good game everyone! Thanks for running the game, Mod. You did a fine job. The setup was a bit over my head, but I should've known that coming in. Thanks especially to all the people that replaced in!
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #1408 (ISO) » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:01 am

Post by Amrun »

Good game, everyone.

Tasky, I have a serious problem with being the only town pr to receive a sample vt role pm. I consider that bastard modding for sure. There was just no concrete reason to do it at all.

Other than that, I enjoyed the game. I don't blame town for lynching me; I played kind of scummily on purpose and then with the pm confliction, it made sense. I'm still smoothing out my PR play.

I just have to say FUCKING LOL ABOUT ME BEING RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING TROLOLOL. Zinger was scum and it was a lynch janitor.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1409 (ISO) » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Post by Tasky »

Amrun wrote:Tasky, I have a serious problem with being the only town pr to receive a sample vt role pm. I consider that bastard modding for sure. There was just no concrete reason to do it at all.

why would that be bastard modding?
nowhere there is a written or unwritten role that all PRs should have the same information.
exactly as I gave Trow the info about the goon PM, I gave you the info about the VT PM.

there was a very concrete reason for me to do that, I wanted to punish players who tried to outguess the setup.
never did I actually lie to a player, (It's not as if I had told you that all other town PRs would have the same information) you (most of the town) just made some too fast conclusions.
taken something for given which is not explicitly written in any rule is your mistake, not mine.

GreyICE wrote:
Actually, I would have been very tempted to shoot janitor someone night 1, and shoot-janitor myself night 2 with that mechanic. And then be resurrected via time traveling roleblocker at some point.

I think it's one of those very high risk/high reward things, I don't think I would have had the courage to do so (especially in a 2-man scumteam)

GreyICE wrote:Which would have really driven the town insane if they lost to it, but this is why roles like 'doctor,' 'vigilante,' 'roleblocker,' 'jailkeeper,' etc. would have been better ideas.

Amrun was a doctor. Kcdaspot was a roleblocker/vig/bodyguard (which is a standard role) JOAT.
probably in hindsight, it would have been a little better had I made Kcdaspot a plain (time-traveling) vig. That would have also given the night-janitoring a little more significance.
I am happy to not have given smargaret a plain cop, though. In general I must say that I tend to like JOATs with standard powers more than one-purpose-roles. They add a little more strategy to the night game (without taking anything from the day)
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1410 (ISO) » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

"probably in hindsight, it would have been a little better had I made Kcdaspot a plain (time-traveling) vig."

;_;

i f you did my fucking gawd i'd rock this shit.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
smargaret
smargaret
Mafia Scum
smargaret
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1411 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 am

Post by smargaret »

The only reason you didn't lie to players was because Trow never died. I'd call death millers/godfathers bastard in any circumstance.

Giving Amrun the VT pm didn't prevent outguessing the mod, we just lynched town along with scum for it. I'd just put the PM in the first post of the rules - you give the scum access to everything, make it much harder for us to lynch Cworl for not getting the PM right because it's easier to excuse as paraphrasing, and send a message that you're doing what you can to prevent outguessing the mod.
Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1412 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:38 am

Post by Tasky »

smargaret wrote:The only reason you didn't lie to players was because Trow never died. I'd call death millers/godfathers bastard in any circumstance.

Giving Amrun the VT pm didn't prevent outguessing the mod, we just lynched town along with scum for it. I'd just put the PM in the first post of the rules - you give the scum access to everything, make it much harder for us to lynch Cworl for not getting the PM right because it's easier to excuse as paraphrasing, and send a message that you're doing what you can to prevent outguessing the mod.

I didn't say that I wanted to
prevent
mod-outguessing (it was clear enough in the rules that you shouldn't try). I said I wanted you to
punish
for it (i.e. punishing you for not following the rules).
I think if town lynches a town player because they were trying to outguess the mod, that's their problem and their mistake. It was exactly for the various confusing thins in this game (which do in fact favor scum), that this game had so much town-power.

and in case you haven't looked at the Mod QT yet, scum
had
access to the Casual Bystander role PM. I would never let scum go into a game where they cannot reasonably claim anything at massclaim.

I can agree that death-millers/godfathers is the most borderline thing of this setup. It's the only thing that *could* have been considered a little bastard. I think, however, that the fact that Trow was told he was a dead miller made it acceptable. I would never had put a non-self-aware- death miller in the game.
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
smargaret
smargaret
Mafia Scum
smargaret
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1413 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:44 am

Post by smargaret »

Say Trow claims death miller at L-1. Who believes him? Heck, say that he claims it at the start of the game - he gets lynched, he flips scum, and we have unnecessary WIFOM.
Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1414 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 am

Post by Tasky »

smargaret wrote:Say Trow claims death miller at L-1. Who believes him? Heck, say that he claims it at the start of the game - he gets lynched, he flips scum, and we have unnecessary WIFOM.

is WIFOM=bastard?
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
smargaret
smargaret
Mafia Scum
smargaret
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1415 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 am

Post by smargaret »

The point is more, you *would* have lied to us if Trow had died, and you gave him a role that made it more likely he would have died.
Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1416 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:08 am

Post by Tasky »

smargaret wrote:The point is more, you *would* have lied to us if Trow had died, and you gave him a role that made it more likely he would have died.

it's the same as telling a cop his target is mafia, when in reality it is a miller (or framed by a framer). That would be lying too. But since it's not an arbitrary lie, but the effect of a role, it is not bastard.

of course the definition of "bastard" is quite subjective, this is why it is difficult to argue about it when there are clear borderline cases.

I created Tasky's Mafia Modding Manifesto exactly for this purpose, to clarify what in my books is considered bastard (everything breaking the manifesto) and what is not (everything which follows those rules). So when I mean bastard, I do not mean it is bastard in general (there are few such things that *everyone* would consider bastard), but bastard based on some (maybe arbitrary) criterions which I find to work well for me.
Unluckily when I designed this game, I hadn't yet though out and written down the manifesto, so declaring the game to be non-bastard could of course be considered a little vague, since what I meant by non-bastard is not necessarily what others will think. I am sorry if this different interpretation caused problems this game, I am definitely going to define this kind of borderline cases more precise the next games I will be running

Me writing that manifesto was somehow inspired by the problems that came up this regarding no-flips, but it was what I considered to be my personal guidelines all along.
(Note that this game did not totally adhere to it, as there were some secret mod-notes.) This is the one point where it is difficult to draw a clear line for me, so I think I will avoid that things in the future (hence why I forbid them in the manifesto). But there are of course some "light" instances where those mod-notes are ok. I think in hindsight I should have just told the traitor he would gain the mafia factional abilities once his partners died, as that would have avoided the problem.
I think one can almost always avoid secret mod-notes in a non-bastard game. as you might have noted, I define non-bastardness basically by the fact that everything that happens has to have a knowable (at least in theory) cause for the players.
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
smargaret
smargaret
Mafia Scum
smargaret
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1417 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:38 am

Post by smargaret »

I would say that flips, unlike cops, are presumed to be sane, and thus death-whatevers are violations of the third comment.
smargaret
smargaret
Mafia Scum
smargaret
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1418 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:39 am

Post by smargaret »

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1419 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:51 am

Post by Faraday »

death millers are about as bastardly as possible...without directly lying to the player in their pm, you're very much lying to the rest of the town.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1420 (ISO) » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:30 am

Post by Tasky »

ok. I guess I made a mistake then.
I apologize to all the players of this game, I had a different conception of bastardness.

smargaret wrote:I would say that flips, unlike cops, are presumed to be sane, and thus death-whatevers are violations of the third comment.

I do not agree with this, though.
Even if it can be considered bastard, it is not a violation of the manifesto (I'm not saying the manifesto is good or bad, just stating that it does not rule out wrong flips). As long as it's an effect of the role, it is not an arbitrary intervention of the mod.
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #1421 (ISO) » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Post by Amrun »

I don't really understand punishing players for assuming role PMs are standardized. But I enjoyed the set-up and don't think it was truly a big deal. I just disagree with you and wouldn't do that myself.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
MrTrow
MrTrow
Goon
MrTrow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1422 (ISO) » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:37 am

Post by MrTrow »

I indeed was a death-miller and i don`t see any problem with it (then again, i`m not that used to closed setups(and related site-meta) yet).
Story-wise (which is always the first thing that draws my attention when time-travel is involved) it made sense and a 'downside' to the information i had.

If i wouldn`t flip scum i probably would have revealed everything immediately.

The terrorist flipping Casual Bystander however with having most players (not: smarg,kcda and RC) having mod-confirmed that Casual Bystanders are not-mafia-alligned
might a different story, true the terrorist isn`t actually a casual bystander but still. (somewhat corrected by the detail the 'lie' hurts both factions)
To me the most telling thing is complains about the death miller, but not about the 'undecover 2' ability?, stuck i site-meta much? :P

As for the 'red-herring for mafia', it was 1 of the reasons for not claiming immediately.
Trying to get lynched by small majority d2/3 , get janitored, hoping the 'link up ability'(if any) was in the main team, keeping the claim options open was the main idea at that point.

When amrun seemed to be suggesting being able to detect the range of one`s timemachine(at least that`s what i made of it) it seemed like an interresting combo(read a new reason not to claim), as with my info it can detect scum(keeping it hidden somewhat longer could probably help me check amrun as well)
It`s also where i screwed up with the assumption that the scum-pr couldn`t have a personal timemachine.

Smarg, i assume it`s clear now why i considered you cleared for not believing in the janitor-situation, but turned around when you emphasised your believe in no-flip while discrediting my defence of you when the no-flip-scenario was about to be disproven.
By the way, your mum says hello.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1423 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Fin
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows