Vigilante's effect on endgame

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Vigilante's effect on endgame

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2005 7:41 pm

Post by BrianMcQueso »

Normally, when the Mafia has equal or greater numbers than the rest of the town, the game ends in favor of the Mafia. This is because with equal numbers, the town would never be able to get a majority vote to lynch a member of the Mafia. The inevitable result is sped up and the game simply ends.

However, with a Vigilante and other power roles still in the town, it is possible for the town to still win with equal numbers to the Mafia. Take the following setup:

Mafia / Mafia / Vigilante / Doctor / Townie (in Day)

During the Day, Townie is lynched (go scum 8)). Normally, this means the Mafia has equal numbers to the town, and should automatically win. However, because the town still has a chance to win (vig kills mafia, doc saves vig from mafia kill, day starts with vig/doc/mafia),
should an exception be made?

Similar cases can be made if the Doctor is instead a Roleblocker with a successful block on the Mafia, or another Vigilante (both vigilantes kill both mafia, only one vigilante is nightkilled). Nevertheless, are the rules of the endgame 'set in stone' or should they be adapted realistically to each situation?
"Only a fool quotes himself." -BrianMcQueso
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2005 8:21 pm

Post by MeMe »

The mafia should only "auto-win" when it's impossible for them
not
to.

If there's any scenario in which the town can pull off a win, it's not making an "exception" to let the game play out...indeed,
not
allowing it to go on would be moderator interference.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 9:51 am

Post by Axelrod »

I have never understood it to be the
rule
that if the Mafia equals the town, the mafia win. It has simply been a foregone conclusion in many games. But unless the win condition specifies that all the mafia have to do is equal the town (and I have played a game like that) then if there is a scenario in which the town can still win then it should be played out.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 3:18 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

What about if you replace the vig with a townie?

Should the fact the doctor is still alive and might protect the kille make the game play on?
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 3:27 pm

Post by Narninian »

Hmmm...

If they doctor protects the townie, then its day with 2 mafia 2 townies -- and townies cant win... It would be a stalemate, so I'd probably rule that mafia wins at that ngiht period.
The extra in is for /in
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 3:45 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

A doctor working alone can't improve the ratio, only hold off the inevitable (perhaps indefinitely, if they are sufficiently psychic). Unless the mafia kill themselves out of sheer boredom, I think you need a killing/vote-modifying role to make a 2-2 situation winnable for the town.

What this *does* highlight, however, is a need to word Win Conditions more carefully. You don't necessarily want to 'tip off' the mafia (or the town!) as to the makeup of the game with your win condition in the Role PM, so what do most mods use? I've been utilizing the "you win when you match or outnumber those who oppose you", but I suppose that's not necessarily accurate if you've got a vigilante.

Anyone got something that's more generalized?
Retired as of October 2014.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 3:55 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

I pretty much hide behind that whole "Mod is always right" BS.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 4:51 pm

Post by mathcam »

As long as you have a good idea of what the win conditions are, there's no rule that says you have to inform the mafia in their PM of every possible scenario in which they could win. Of course, you probably don't want to go too far with this, allowing the mafia to win if they post three posts starting with a "W" on the third Thursday of the month. You could just put something like "Your goal is to eliminate the town, but you can win in a variety of (unspecified) scenarios."

But as to Brian's question, MeMe's answer is dead on.

Cam
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 5:48 pm

Post by Narninian »

I'd say mafia wins when all other parties are eliminated: Mods simply end the game early when its impossible for that not to happen (such as when they outnumber the others)
The extra in is for /in
Giedrius
Giedrius
Townie
Giedrius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 6:43 pm

Post by Giedrius »

what if it's equal numbers and there happens to be a genius towny and a really dumb mafia and the mafia member lynches himself?
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 11:37 pm

Post by Norinel »

Well, yeah, even for the win becomes inevitable situations, you have to assume some reasonably rational play on the part of the scum; not killing each other or lynching each other when they aren't in the minority is part of that.

How about two mafia, one mafia spy, two townies? Let the day go just to see what happens?
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2005 11:55 pm

Post by Cadmium »

Depends. Does the spy know the two mafia (or that there are two left for that matter)? If so, you could assume that he'd out himself right away.
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2005 12:55 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Heh...what would be even stranger would be a doc/SK/Mafia/mafia ending...the town can still win, but only if the doc saves the SK from the mafia and the SK kills a mafia (which he should).

But yeah, if there's any way for the town to win (including stuff like vote manipulation roles) then you should let the game play out, unless you've explicitly stated the "mafia wins if 50%" rule in the start of the game.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2005 1:54 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Narninian wrote:I'd say mafia wins when all other parties are eliminated: Mods simply end the game early when its impossible for that not to happen (such as when they outnumber the others)
I like that method, actually. Puts the game-mechanics back in the hands of the mod, leaves the players with something nice and unequivocal.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2005 9:37 am

Post by PolarBoy »

And if you want to make the rule cover all win conditions say that the way to win is to eliminate all other factions. Then this applies to the SK eliminating town and mafia, as well as the town eliminating mafia and sk, or two mafia families, or the vegetarians eliminating the werewolves and image consultants if your factions happen to be organized that way(if they are, sign me up for your game).

The 50% rule tends to hold as long as the town has no night-kill or role-block abilities, as even a doctor can only hold off the mafia until he is dead himself. Ther real problem comes in endgame situations where the game has to end, but comes down to a coin flip, or literally can't end; like when you get down to mafia/sk/townie in day. If the townie is not aware that he is surrounded he becomes a loose cannon and hands the game over to whomever he does not vote for. If he is aware of what's happening he can withhold his vote and make a prisoner's-dillema-like situation for the mafia and sk. If the sk and mafia both vote for the townie, they create a draw that night. If they also withhold their votes, we go to night and have a similar situation. Think about the line of reasoning the sk and mafia will go through: "If I kill the other killer and he decides the same, then the townie wins. If I go for the townie and so does he, we draw. If I go for him and he goes for the townie, I win. If I go for the townie and he goes for me, I lose." Therefore going for the townie creates a lose/draw situation, and going for the other killer creates a win/lose situation. In theory they will always attack the townie and accept a draw. What this means is that the townie is going to lose from the outset regardless of what he does.

The important thing to do is take these possibilities into account when designing the game, mainly to ensure that they aren't very likely.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2005 10:05 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

PolarBoy wrote: In theory they will always attack the townie and accept a draw.
Actually, the most likely thing to happen in that case would be both the mafia and the SK trying to convince each other that they're both going to go for the townie during the day. However, logically, if your opponent is going for the townie, then you should go for your opponent for the win; if your opponent is going for you, then it you lose no matter what you do, so the logical thing to do is to always go for your opponent. So, if the SK and the mafia person both behave rationally, they will kill each other and the town will win. Ah, gotta love the three prisoner dilemma. :)
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2005 10:45 am

Post by halo freak »

i was in a game where no one won. It can down to a vig and sk and they killed each other leaving no winner.
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

*smacks Cadmium with stick for fun*
- Phoebus
warpdragon
warpdragon
Goon
warpdragon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2005 1:39 pm

Post by warpdragon »

Well it was a one shot vigilante, who claimed townie earlier, so if he hadn't lied to the town, the town would have lost, creating a paradox (or something) where lieing saved him, creating a draw for the town.
Show
IS: Kiwis get to hunt the natives on Sundays
Tally: kiwis are the natives
IS: Thats the fun part

Mackay: Oh hey, I got sigged! :)

[size=75][i]Edited by Warpdragon[/i][/size]
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2005 7:10 pm

Post by halo freak »

Oh that happen in talk show host mafia, i was able to put a quote through a lie detector. The first night i could i checked Baby J's claim, which was a lie. Luckily the next day ended before i could come out and get him lynched but i had the whole claim sitting in a word doc. I came very close to getting him and me lynched.
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

*smacks Cadmium with stick for fun*
- Phoebus
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2005 1:03 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

halo freak wrote:i was in a game where no one won. It can down to a vig and sk and they killed each other leaving no winner.
I was thinking that perhaps it would be better to have a rule where SK's win "everyone's dead" ties; put it in his win condition in his PM. Makes sense from a flavor standpoint (the SK dosn't care about dying so long as he can turn the entire town into a graveyard) and the SK sure needs any edge he can get; if there's only two people left, and one of them is the SK, then the SK really deserves to wins; and it lowers the chance of a tie (you could still have a mafia/vig tie, though).
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2005 2:16 am

Post by mith »

One of our AIM games back in the day saw Antrax and Courk as Mafia, myself and someone else (mole, maybe?) on the town side, with one of us being either a vig or doc (I can't remember which). It was day, and that means it's won for the Mafia (deadlock the voting, etc.)... except that I managed to talk Courk into voting for Antrax (who was provably scum at this point), and then we either killed her at night or got luck with the doc, I can't remember which.

Antrax was so mad. It was classic. :)
ralphmerridew
ralphmerridew
Goon
ralphmerridew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:04 am

Post by ralphmerridew »

Actually, that situation isn't a lock for the scum, even if there's a no-lynch:

Mafia attacks vig.
Vig attacks mafia.
Doc protects vig.

Next day is vig, doc, mafia. Vig and doc lynch maf.
Drummer
Drummer
Goon
Drummer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:13 am

Post by Drummer »

I would have to agree with what most people say here. The only reason to end the game at equal numbers is because of the obvious ending you'll get if you play on.

I think that if a vig and an sk killed each other, it should just end that way. If it happened that way in real life, then they would both die.
ralphmerridew
ralphmerridew
Goon
ralphmerridew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:44 am

Post by ralphmerridew »

And even if the mafia target doc in mith's situation, the town can still get an obliteration draw.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:25 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I think it does make sense to have the SK win a draw/all-dead finish. They're a loner and a sociopath to boot, so their primary goal should be not to survive so much as to kill everyone else...if they die at the last with their knife in their final victim's ribs, do they not die 'happy'?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”