cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Time Travel Mafia - Day 2

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:58 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Current update: It is Day 2. Deadline in 2 weeks.

Alive (17):

Beaudoin
CaptainBlicero
DoomCow
Dragon Slayer
eillid
Gaspode
Green Crayons
jadesmar
jeep
Leonidas
mathcam
MatthewV
mikegoo
Polotet
quercitron
RubberDuck (reaplcing JereIC)
Werebear

Dead (3):
Kingpin - murdered, night 1
ambic - murdered, night 1
rite - lynched, day 1
Last edited by cuban smoker on Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:11 pm, edited 12 times in total.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:00 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Original Rule Book:

That being said, welcome to the Super-Sized Time Travel Mafia game! This post will serve as your rulebook, in addition to the standard rules being enforced at mafiascum.net. Oh, and to those that have seen some of my writings on the subject: I have modified some of the rules, so do not expect everything to be the same.

To begin, the basic principle of the game must be stressed: the timeline. The timeline always progresses forward, no matter what is going on around you. You, as a town, will move from night 1 to day 1 to night 2 and so on, in that order, without repeating or going backwards or missing any days, guaranteed. Instead, you may find that history rewrites itself every night. The most current history will be recorded in the next post, which will serve as the current update post. When time-travelers use their time-traveling abilities, they will travel temporarily from the current night to the night of their choice (in the past, present or future), perform their role, and then return to the same instant of the current night they just left. In traveling to the past, the time-traveler may create an event that will alter history as the town knows it, and the new history will become the town’s new reality.

In the process of changing history, people may be removed (killed), or added back (brought back to life) to the timeline. When you die, you are probably not permanently dead. Instead, actions may occur in the past that affect whether or not you are killed. If you die, and an action that occurs in the past causes you to “come back to life”, you will be added back into the timeline at the point that you originally left: the point you died. Most importantly, you will be allowed to participate in all the days and nights that you missed up to that point, that is, to “catch up” with the rest of the timeline.

At this point, I should cover the game mechanics that have changed:

1) Roles will NOT be revealed upon death. I know this will be a little frustrating, but some roles have been added to the scenario to make this a little less annoying. I’m sure you can all appreciate how important it is to not know the roles of dead people that are suddenly brought back to life…

2) Lynches will NOT occur when a majority of votes is reached. Rather, a deadline will be set every day. This deadline is not strict, and might be extended by a simple PM. At the deadline, the person with the most votes will be lynched. If there are multiple people with the same number, they are all lynched. Why do it this way? It is important to know how many people really want to lynch one person at the end of any given day, so that when the timeline changes, the right person is lynched in the “new” history.

Those are the two major changes. The second point lends itself to a question: Does that mean that even lynches can be undone? The answer is simply: ‘yes’. You see: if on day 1, with 11 alive; 5 people vote for Person A, and 4 people vote for person B, Person A would be lynched at the deadline. If later in the game, a Mafia went back in time to night 1 and killed one of the players voting for Person A (say, Person C), then history would have to be rewritten. I, the mod, would remove Person C from the timeline, and thus, their vote would not count. Person A would now have had 4 votes on Day 1. Both Person A and Person B would be lynched. Now I must remove Person B from the timeline as well. It should be noted that both Person A and Person B’s votes still count on Day 1, as usual, but they will be removed from any subsequent days and nights. Then, to further complicate matters, if the Mafia return once again to night one and kill Person D, another person voting for Person A, then on Day 1, Person A would have had 3 votes, and Person B 4 votes. Thus, only Person B would be lynched. Now, as the mod, I must add Person A back to the timeline.

Confusing? Yes, it will be a little confusing for me. But I will do everything I can to ensure you as the town remain in complete control of what is going on. Every morning I will post a new history, replacing the old one. I will also post the new history in the game thread, so that when the ‘new’ history becomes the ‘old’ history, it will still be accessible. But I suggest you hold on to a copy for your records, in case you feel like trying to piece together the puzzle that this game will be.

Yes, a time-traveling doctor can travel back in time to save someone who was killed by the Mafia. And yes, I have tried to balance the game accordingly.

[[<<CHANGED > Now, when a player is added back to the timeline, I mentioned earlier that they have to “catch up” with the rest of the town. If you are in this situation, I will contact you by private message. You will be given the opportunity to cast a vote in every day you have missed, and perform your role (if applicable) in every night you have missed. < CHANGED>>]] You will NEVER be allowed to change what you did on any given night, or whom you voted for on any given day. That is, if you killed in the past, and then saved in the past, you will not be allowed to “replay” any of the days you already participated in. You will only get to add your input to any days and nights you have never participated in.

That covers everything except the best part of the game: Paradoxes. There are two types of paradoxes: Physical, and Logical. A logical paradox is one which doesn’t make sense, but can be resolved. For instance, if a cop comes out, and the Mafia decide to go back in time to kill him, then the cop would not be alive on the day he came out. This begs the question: how did the Mafia know to kill him? In this game, the answer is simple: your posts will never be deleted, and instead, they will be treated as time “echoes”. Although history has rewritten itself, this new history is a palimpsest. That is, previous histories will be visible under the new one.

On the other hand, a physical paradox is one which is not possible at all, like killing your own father before you were born. To prevent these from occurring, it is possible that when you try to perform an action, I will contact you and prevent you from doing it, on the basis you are creating a time paradox. This is borrowed from a quantum theory that says that the universe would never allow a time paradox to occur (the universe would prevent you from killing your father… I’m not sure I agree, but what can I say? I’m a supporter of the multiverse theory of time travel. And you do NOT want to play multiverse Mafia). Instead, you will have to perform another action, or pick another target, or rescind from the action completely. Unfair? I think it is preferable over having to stop the game abruptly because the universe is “broken”.

That is your rule and guide book. Feel free to post any questions in the thread. I will be following this game closely, and I will do my best to answer all questions.
Last edited by cuban smoker on Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:00 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

MAJOR CHANGES to RULES:

1) Time travelers may travel up to 3 nights into the past or the future. (7 night window)
2) Dead people must cast votes for each day as it occurs.
3) Dead people must make NIGHT CHOICES for each night as it occurs.
4) Each person may cast up to 3 ordered votes. You still only get 1 vote. Vote counts will NOT be done for secondary and tertiary votes.
Last edited by cuban smoker on Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:01 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Welcome to the University of Sicily, located just outside the beautiful Italian city, and the forefront of modern research into Time Travel. Researchers have just unearthed the secret of “short-range” time travel, and are preparing to make their report to the world. Unfortunately, the mafia smell an opportunity, and they enlist their already infiltrated faculty members to steal the devices.

Fortunately for the world, the campus police have locked down the university following the attempted heist. Martial law has been declared, and violence has erupted. The time travel devices have been spread out across campus, and space-time fissures have been detected in numerous locations. Angry mobs of students and teachers have formed, and the lynchings are sure to follow shortly. Go forth, university goers, and protect the future, and the past, of the world!
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:03 pm

Post by rite »

Confirmy
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:03 pm

Post by Gaspode »

Confirm
MatthewV
MatthewV
Ninja
MatthewV
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:04 pm

Post by MatthewV »

confirm!
Disclaimer: This informatin may not be used against me in any way, shape, size or form.
eillid
eillid
Watcher
eillid
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:26 pm

Post by eillid »

Confirming.

Do dead people vote in the thread or by PM, if they vote as the day occurs?
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:28 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Good question, eillid. Dead people, if they want to vote, must vote by PM, in order to avoid confusion. These votes of the dead people will not be made public until such time as the dead person is brought back to life.

Thus, the general rule stands. If you are dead, do not post!
JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:39 pm

Post by JereIC »

Confirm.
CaptainBlicero
CaptainBlicero
ARRRRRRRR!
CaptainBlicero
ARRRRRRRR!
ARRRRRRRR!

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:44 pm

Post by CaptainBlicero »

confirm
mikegoo
mikegoo
Watcher
mikegoo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:58 pm

Post by mikegoo »

confirm
jadesmar
jadesmar
Goon
jadesmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:50 am

Post by jadesmar »

firn.com
You must be drunk 'cuz you're all blurry.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:10 am

Post by Green Crayons »

Confirm.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:18 am

Post by cuban smoker »

FYI, I'm going away for the weekend. Please confirm and have your night choices in by, say, monday night. This is not a strict deadline, only a guideline.

Sorry, I won't be able to answer any questions until I get back.
quercitron
quercitron
Watcher
quercitron
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:36 am

Post by quercitron »

Confirm.
Polotet
Polotet
Townie
Polotet
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:47 am

Post by Polotet »

Confirmity.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:58 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

/We have confirmation
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
DoomCow
DoomCow
Goon
DoomCow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:53 am

Post by DoomCow »

confirm
No you weren't there when nothing happened baby, some fool can testify. Nobody saw your nails were dirty baby, just blame the flirty vile. You've got to say the wrong words right baby, you got to tell a lie.
-'Lie' Daan
KingPin
KingPin
Goon
KingPin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:32 am

Post by KingPin »

KingPin to base,,,

We have confirmation,,,

Over....
Leonidas
Leonidas
Mafia Scum
Leonidas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:14 pm

Post by Leonidas »

Confirm !
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:33 am

Post by Werebear »

Confirm.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:22 am

Post by mathcam »

Booya! I mean...confirm.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:15 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Rules Interpretation:

You do not get to list 3 night choices if you have night choices to make. You only get one.

The 3 ordered votes are NOT mandatory. They are intended to be used to protect the town from a mafia returning from the grave.

All players have confirmed
, awaiting night choices from at least one person.

Because of things like "strategy" that one or more individuals or groups might want to consider, I will not place a deadline yet. For those that have sent in night choices, I appreciate your patience.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:23 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

Rules Update:

Dead people (but not mafia) must make night choices as the nights occur, for similar reasons behind the voting. Check "new" rule post to see the change.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”