Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 349, Amrun wrote:For me, it doesn't really matter how different it IS, but rather how different it FEELS.
I think the players all approached it in a fresh, excited way. They played the game differently.

That's what matters (to me).

But that's not a mechanic is it?

Player action is INHERENTLY separate from Mechanics and Mutations. This can't be a factor in deciding the best Mechanic/Mutation.

I loved Team Mafia. I went in to this category thinking Team Mafia was gonna win 100%. But I approached it on a non-partial unbiased level, and was convinced to believe it wasn't worthy of the win.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Post by Amrun »

But there is a new mechanic in it that created that excitement in the players.

I disagree.

I understand and respect your opinion, but it is not the same as mine.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:33 pm

In post 351, Amrun wrote:But there is a new mechanic in it that created that excitement in the players.

I disagree.

I understand and respect your opinion, but it is not the same as mine.

I don't see how "player excitement" can be a factor in determining the "best Mechanic".

That'd be like saying the more popular/hyped a game is, the better it is. And that's just inherently not true.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Post by Amrun »

The new mechanic (and it WAS new, despite having basis in older mechanics, just like everything including the game that actually won) excited everyone so much that it changed how they played the game. That was the INTENT of the mechanic, not an accidental byproduct.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:37 pm

In post 353, Amrun wrote:The new mechanic (and it WAS new, despite having basis in older mechanics, just like everything including the game that actually won) excited everyone so much that it changed how they played the game. That was the INTENT of the mechanic, not an accidental byproduct.

So you're saying the mechanic was to get everyone excited for a big new game so much that they'd act differently, thus creating the new mechanic?

So, I am to assume that the game was designed in advance to its reception, to be immensely popular, and use its status as a popular game to entice players to play differently, creating a "feeling" of a different game that is totally intentional?

I don't... Oh god. I don't even.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Post by Amrun »

No ... it wasn't that it was popular. It was the new player dynamics, the mechanic itself.

I'm being respectful to you. The least you could do is return the favor.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:43 pm

In post 355, Amrun wrote:No ... it wasn't that it was popular. It was the new player dynamics, the mechanic itself.

I'm being respectful to you. The least you could do is return the favor.

I'm sorry, I am doing my best.

That last postulation that somehow the game was designed to create player involvement as a mechanic was just so... I can't even phrase it. I'm doing my best to say something about it, but I just can't make it sound not... you know. >.>

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Post by Amrun »

The entire point of the mechanic was to invent a new way of playing, a new meta, and new player dynamics. It succeed. That's all I'm saying.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 pm

In post 357, Amrun wrote:The entire point of the mechanic was to invent a new way of playing, a new meta, and new player dynamics. It succeeded. That's all I'm saying.

And I'm saying that I don't think that the game was invented to do those things, and even if it was, that STILL wouldn't be a mechanic or mutation, but rather just the goal that all games strive for.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Post by zoraster »

The intent of the mechanic was to put people in situations where they were put together with friends, had pressure put on them individually to perform so they didn't let their team down, helped other teammates with their games, and compete in a different way. It was also to try to provide something that tied the community together with a major event. Consider that that was the game that mith played in last year. It was meant to be a focal point that had people strive to do things with other people in an increasingly acrimonious place. And that's why it was ultimately successful. It was ambitious in a completely different way than Strategy Mafia* was. But it still was intended to be something more than just a casual throw down of some hydras.

*I'll admit when I first started drafting Strategy Mafia I hoped it'd get some scummy love, but it was a flawed mechanic. Not tragically so -- people still had fun and it still worked after a fashion. But it was too flawed to really be a true success. There were a few easy things that could be done to fix that if a second iteration ever came around, but as it stood, it was an incredibly ambitious game that only half-worked... though you did get one of the coolest roles I've ever created, LLD. I kind of wish I had been nominated for that role.

PS. I totally should have been nominated for funniest poster for Storm of Swords. Just saying: I was hilarious.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:56 pm

In post 359, zoraster wrote:The intent of the mechanic was to put people in situations where they were put together with friends, had pressure put on them individually to perform so they didn't let their team down, helped other teammates with their games, and compete in a different way. It was also to try to provide something that tied the community together with a major event. Consider that that was the game that mith played in last year. It was meant to be a focal point that had people strive to do things with other people in an increasingly acrimonious place. And that's why it was ultimately as successful. It was ambitious in a completely different way than Strategy Mafia* was. But it still was intended to be something more than just a casual throw down of some hydras.

*I'll admit when I first started drafting Strategy Mafia I hoped it'd get some scummy love, but it was a flawed mechanic. Not tragically so -- people still had fun and it still worked in a fashion. But it was too flawed to really be a true success. There were a few easy things that could be done to fix that if a second iteration ever came around, but as it stood, it was an incredibly ambitious game that only half-worked... though you did get one of the coolest roles I've ever created, LLD. I kind of wish I had been nominated for that role.

PS. I totally should have been nominated for funniest poster for Storm of Swords. Just saying: I was hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, I felt that Strategy Mafia could have been done better (I mean, the odds were so against me winning that game :P) but I loved the room mechanic, I loved the Chip Mechanic and I loved my role.

God did I love that BodySnatcher, Torture Room, Sadistic Skin Stealing Role.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Oh, and uh, Strategy Mafia is a good example of a "Mechanic" where as I think Team Mafia is not.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Post by zoraster »

hahaha well of the things that were wrong, the fact you had the odds seriously stacked against you was the least of my concern :P
Llamarble
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Post by Llamarble »

It was really cool having so many eyes paying attention to all the games in team mafia.
That made all of them feel important, since if you did well a huge chunk of the site's best players would see.
It felt like a mafia championship.
Choice
Choice
Townie
Choice
Townie
Townie

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Post by Choice »

In post 355, Amrun wrote:I'm being respectful to you. The least you could do is return the favor.

yourewastingyourtimehere.jpg

Katsuki is a top tier player, as is Faraday. He and Faraday are nigh unreadable in different ways. One seemingly puts forth little to no effort into games and survives as few deem him a threat, while the other is fairly devious and clever, but attracts too much unnecessary attention to himself, shortening his lifespan. Both are very talented players, with very different approaches. This thread has helped shed light to quality players on the site. However, I did not find the commentary very amusinng. 2/10, improve this aspect next year and I might recommend this thread to some of my friends.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Post by Faraday »

My lifespan in games is usually reasonably long if I'm not hydra'ing, I think.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 364, Choice wrote:
Katsuki is a top tier player
, as is Faraday. He and Faraday are nigh unreadable in different ways

Lulz, in regards to the bolded - WHUT?
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Choice
Choice
Townie
Choice
Townie
Townie

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Post by Choice »

Please do not belittle the achievements of other players, MagnaofNoScummies.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 367, Choice wrote:Please do not belittle the achievements of other players, MagnaofNoScummies.

Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm

In post 367, Choice wrote:Please do not belittle the achievements of other players, MagnaofNoScummies.

> Best Newbie 2011

Welp.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:37 pm

And back on to the topic at hand -

from a completely disconnected position as someone who wasn't a Judge -

My honest opinion is that the Cyclical Mechanic should have hands down won the category. It is by far (IMO) the most innovative change to a core Mafia game.

I love Magua but the 'Auction' mechanic had previously been done at least once (in fact I think Zoraster ran the game IRIC) and attempted in OhGodMyLife's abandoned Drinking Themed game before Magua ran it.

Team Mafia is an awesome
competition
. And I highlight the word for a reason. It's not at all a fundamental change to how the game itself is played. The extra excitement and other elements that it brought to the table have everything to do with the inherent bragging rights and much less to do with the fundamental 'change' to the game.

Cyclical (while having some set-up flaws in the initial run that were easily correctable as noted by the playerbase) introduced huge new elements in making properly reading Town as important as reading scum and also encouraging new forms of scum-hunting with the trading mechanics while retaining all normal scum-hunting elements.

The decision of the Scummies Judges is a difficult one. No chance everyone is going to agree with the decisions.

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Post by Xalxe »

Ignore Choice, I'm p. sure he's a trollalt.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Choice
Choice
Townie
Choice
Townie
Townie

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Post by Choice »

In post 369, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:

> Best Newbie 2011

Welp.

A. Among the blind, the one-eyed man is the king.
B. Feb 2010 Join Date for 2011 scummy? He seems too experienced to be a "newbie"
C. No one cares about little league trophies
D. Based on your posts in this thread, you are the type of poster that others would not want defending them. You do him a disservice with your posts.
E. The facts that I decree are not open to debate or discussion.

Edit: I do not belittle Magna's achievements. It was a well earned scummy, and my comment was all in jest. But I stand firmly in my claim (warranted) that Katsuki is an elite player.
Last edited by Choice on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Lulz.

Trolling alt or just clueless Newb?

Preview edit - actually I think it's another Katsuki alt Xalxe. That's the only way I can see that post appearing.

Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Post by Xalxe »

Really? Hmm.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”