Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4025 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:55 pm

Post by AniX »

I recently have gotten into board games (or at least, more into them than I had been). Here is now my collection stands thus far:

Holdovers from Childhood:
Pokemon Master Trainer:
This game definitely seemed a lot better when I was a child, but still, there is something about a early 2000's game that allowed you to catch ALL 150 Pokemon when most other games were just roll-and-moves that still seems special today.

Animorphs:The Board Game
Animorphs: The Card Game (Both Versions: Jake & Cassie/Rachel & Marco):
This game is not well-made but I find the "cards as map" mechanic pretty interesting. I had to get it then and keep it now because if there is one fan of Animorphs, it's me.

New Pick-Ups:
Marrying Mr. Darcy (+ Emma Expansion)

Back to the Future: Dice Through Time
Back to the Future:Back in Time:
A really well-made co-op game. One of the most immersive property based board games I've ever played.

Sailor Moon Crystal: Truth or Bluff:
I picked this up solely because one of the landmark sessions of my Sailor Moon ttrpg was a True or Dare based session and I couldn't resist when I saw this branded property item. Haven't had a chance to play yet because I promised my players we'd break it open when all 5 of us could play in person.

Power Rangers: Deck-Building Game:
I was really looking forward to this game because I love deck-builders and I love Power Rangers. I really was disappointed. Way too busy and the rules are really poorly explained, even when I played with someone who is an expert on deck-builders. Probably going to flip this.

Spy Alley:
Got this as a gift, but it actually is pretty fun, if skews a bit on the younger side.

Lords & Ladies:
I picked this up without testing it first because I really liked the generations-based mechanic where half the game is marrying your character, having kids, and then marrying those kids. I'd definitely love any recs for other games that form a similar family tree sort of thing.

Disney Villainous (+ Evil Comes Prepared)

Star Trek: Five-Year Mission (+ Wesley Crusher/Janice Rand promo card):
I saw this on an ASMR play-through and I thought it looked really fun but was on the fence, but pulled the trigger when I found it cheap AND with the promo card included.

Wacky Races: The Board Game:
I just bought this earlier today because I saw it on sale. I thought it looked really thematic so we'll see if I enjoy it. I'm kind of bummed only the Deluxe edition has the cardboard tiles but I also didn't want to spend extra money and I prefer the look of the monochromatic racers over the painted ones, which kind of have an uncanny valley look to them.

I'd love suggestions if people know of any games similar to these!
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4026 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:43 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 4025, AniX wrote:Pokemon Master Trainer
I remember this game it was awesome.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4027 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:46 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

How much board gaming have you done? Should i be recommending classics like dominion in terms of deck builders or have you played those mostly.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #4028 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:15 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

Animorphs the Board Game holy shit based
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4029 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:19 am

Post by chamber »

In post 4027, Thestatusquo wrote:How much board gaming have you done? Should i be recommending classics like dominion in terms of deck builders or have you played those mostly.
Given how thematic all his listed games are, I'd guess he wouldn't be a big fan of dominion. Dominion is extremely solid mechanically, but has 0 theme (and a lot of that mechanical strength has just been straight up copied by more thematic games).
Taking a break from the site.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #4030 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:33 am

Post by AniX »

I've played Dominion. It was fine. Chamber is correct though that a lot of the more "classic" board games tend to bore me. If I can't get into the "story" of the game I find myself drifting. The game itself doesn't even need to be particularly story-centered (Monopoly in the right group can develop a "story", for example, as can MTG) but with something like Dominion I don't really feel like I am a....medieval lord or whatever the outward flavor is.

Compare that to something like Lords & Ladies, which comes with a dry erase marker and the cards for your children are printed on whiteboard with a blank line in the name section.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4031 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:49 am

Post by Something_Smart »

If you like co-op games, Forbidden Island is a good one story-wise. It's pretty quick and mechanically simple, but the feeling of racing against the clock trying to recover ancient relics while the island is literally sinking is pretty compelling. At least for me.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4032 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:07 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Yeah I am perhaps the worst person to give recs then, as I am about as far on the other end of the flavor matters spectrum as one can possibly be
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #4033 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:38 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 4025, AniX wrote:Lords & Ladies: I picked this up without testing it first because I really liked the generations-based mechanic where half the game is marrying your character, having kids, and then marrying those kids. I'd definitely love any recs for other games that form a similar family tree sort of thing.
Crusader Kings
has some marrying, making heirs, sending those heirs on crusades, dying and the heirs inheriting the throne. It also has a lot of battling, I don't know if that is your thing or not.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game
is one of the most thematic, story-based, and overall best games I know. Good diversity of characters as well. The mechanics are pretty complex though.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #4034 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:08 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 4033, Fenchurch wrote:Crusader Kings
I'll definitely check this out for sure, I love the video game version.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #4035 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:11 pm

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #4036 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:13 pm

Post by AniX »

Yeah, that looks up my alley. I THINK one of my friends actually has that, I should hit her up to test it out.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #4037 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:15 pm

It's VERY good, and VERY replayable.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #4038 (ISO) » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:52 am

Post by AniX »

In post 4033, Fenchurch wrote:
In post 4025, AniX wrote:Lords & Ladies: I picked this up without testing it first because I really liked the generations-based mechanic where half the game is marrying your character, having kids, and then marrying those kids. I'd definitely love any recs for other games that form a similar family tree sort of thing.
Crusader Kings
has some marrying, making heirs, sending those heirs on crusades, dying and the heirs inheriting the throne. It also has a lot of battling, I don't know if that is your thing or not.
Ended up finding this for a good price so I picked it up! Haven't had a chance to play yet though, I need to wait for my friend who is the right person to play with to come to town.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4039 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:35 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

I played One Night Ultimate werewolf over the weekend, and it was incredibly and needlessly confusing to all of us. 5 players, 3 times, had 0 fun. Then we played 5 player Catan for the first time instead. We had a blast.

We have played other "deduction-style" games in the past, Avalon and Coup. We had ALOT more fun with those games, and will def be playing those again.
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4040 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:19 am

Post by furtiveglance »

In post 4039, Vaxkiller wrote: I played One Night Ultimate werewolf over the weekend, and it was incredibly and needlessly confusing to all of us. 5 players, 3 times, had 0 fun. Then we played 5 player Catan for the first time instead. We had a blast.

We have played other "deduction-style" games in the past, Avalon and Coup. We had ALOT more fun with those games, and will def be playing those again.
Were you playing with the ONUW app?
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4041 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:25 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 4040, furtiveglance wrote:
In post 4039, Vaxkiller wrote: I played One Night Ultimate werewolf over the weekend, and it was incredibly and needlessly confusing to all of us. 5 players, 3 times, had 0 fun. Then we played 5 player Catan for the first time instead. We had a blast.

Yea, it recited everything for us, it just seemed like with only 1 day phase there was so little to go on or talk about. I tried to claim my role, but everyone else thought that was a bad idea, but what else is there to talk about? If I was a wolf, and everyone did claim, I have no idea what I should claim.

I think one of the roles I had, I was supposed to switch 2 players cards, but how is that a pro town move?

At the end I was tempted to try and run a game of mafia with just townies and mafia, but I have no idea how I would have done that with 5 people and no mod, so we moved on to Catan.

We all just played Avalon a few weeks ago, and I think we were stuck on that type of play, this could be our problem.

Games played.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #4042 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:37 am

In post 4041, Vaxkiller wrote:

Yea, it recited everything for us, it just seemed like with only 1 day phase there was so little to go on or talk about. I tried to claim my role, but everyone else thought that was a bad idea, but what else is there to talk about? If I was a wolf, and everyone did claim, I have no idea what I should claim.

I think one of the roles I had, I was supposed to switch 2 players cards, but how is that a pro town move?

At the end I was tempted to try and run a game of mafia with just townies and mafia, but I have no idea how I would have done that with 5 people and no mod, so we moved on to Catan.

We all just played Avalon a few weeks ago, and I think we were stuck on that type of play, this could be our problem.
ONUW is a logic puzzle game where you don't know if you're scum anymore even if you drew scum initially. Players lie and make fake claims then real claims, because IIRC all abilities must be used.

It's basically a mess of a game that isn't really a game but if you have some drinks in you can be a bit fun.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #4043 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:12 am

Post by McMenno »

oh, I get it. you were stuck thinking it was mafia. it is not mafia. I enjoy it though
mafiascum is on life support
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4044 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:58 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

In post 4042, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 4041, Vaxkiller wrote:

ONUW is a logic puzzle game where you don't know if you're scum anymore even if you drew scum initially. Players lie and make fake claims then real claims, because IIRC all abilities must be used.

It's basically a mess of a game that isn't really a game but if you have some drinks in you can be a bit fun.
I'll give it another go next game night, and bring a few beers :)

Games played.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4045 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:31 am

Post by mallowgeno »

My copy of Frosthaven arrived a few weeks ago and my friend group and I have enjoyed playing it a lot. It changes some small things from Gloomhaven and the campaign missions feel much more diverse and not just "kill all enemies" which has been refreshing. Also enjoying the crafting mechanic a lot
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #4046 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:07 am

Post by Ariel »

finally won paint the roses yesterday
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4047 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:51 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Oh @Anix for a very flavorful game I suggest shadows over camelot.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #4048 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:01 am

In post 4047, Thestatusquo wrote: Oh @Anix for a very flavorful game I suggest shadows over camelot.
run. run very far away.

i have so many words on this game.

actually, now i think about it, if you can find a version at a convention or borrow from someone else or a game library then go ahead and play it a few times with players who have never played before (that's the key).

Because beyond that the game is broken in half if you've run any strat analysis on it and it's pretty miserable optimally as a result.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4049 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:05 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Its interesting to notice differences like this in play style because i don't try to min max games at all and me and my friends had a blast with it

Return to “The Arcade”