Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #149 (isolation #0) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Post by Seraphim »

In post 147, Magister Ludi wrote:
In post 145, xRECKONERx wrote:Diplomacy takes like ten hours to play and is much simpler in its rules. Game of Thrones takes about 2-3 hours to play and has complicated rules but once you get it it is a ton of fun. Catan is really shallow in its strategies but is a quick and fun "I have thirty minutes to kill" type game.

Having not played Diplomacy yet I highly recommend GoT.

ahh great, thanks. I always imagined catan as a longer game. And with the addition of the tv show, people are really getting into GoT, which could make it easier to get people to play the board game.
I have not played Game of Thrones.
Catan is a fantastic "gateway" game because it's relatively simple, fun, and easy for new players to pick up. 30 minutes is a bit of understatement; average game length for me has been around an hour to 90 minutes. I have never had a game longer than two hours though.
Diplomacy is a lot of fun if you have a lot of time to burn and is good if you have players who can't meet up for a substantial amount of time. It's a really good forum game because turns happen simultaneously.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #152 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Post by Seraphim »

There is a greater degree of strategy than people realize. I think the problem with Catan is that people are drawn to numbers that are "supposed" to be rolled often, like the 6s and 8s, rather than choosing a diversity of numbers.

I've heard really good things about Ticket To Ride but I've been hesitant about purchasing it.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #155 (isolation #2) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Post by Seraphim »

In post 153, Magister Ludi wrote:ah yes, good suggestions all around. Do you guys ever play these games online with one another, either? I figure that would be a good way to play them lacking a large group of friends every night, but i'm not very sure if there are actually websites to do this.
I know Catan has an online system in place though this site: http://www.playcatan.com/catan-online-world.html

and Diplomacy almost assuredly has online play somewhere. I bet you could even start a game here in Mish Mash if you wanted.

No clue about GoT.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #186 (isolation #3) » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Post by Seraphim »

So, after reading stuff on this board and doing some research, I really want to buy the Game of Thrones: the Board Game.

Unfortunately, the cheapest copy I can find is $60.00 and apparently there have been some board warping issues.

Should I wait for the reprint and hope it gets cheaper or is 60 bucks the best I'm going to get? Is it worth 60 bucks?
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #188 (isolation #4) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Alright, I ordered the game today. It should come within the week.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #197 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 am

Post by Seraphim »

Game of Thrones Second Edition is going to be reprinted. In the meantime, it's pretty hard to get. 61 bucks is actually a fair deal and I don't see you getting a better one easily until the reprinting.

Return to “The Arcade”